Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Congratulations Aion on your Award!!!

thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Congratulations Aion for:

Biggest Disappointment of 2009 MMO Staff Choice Award

at massively.com

Biggest Disappointment of 2009 - Aion

"When your holy grail MMO title turns out to offer absolutely nothing new to the genre except a new record in grind time to level 50, you win the "Biggest Disappointment" award from me. Grats Aion. This honor is only outmatched by the size of your experience curve."

I think its interesting to see that the Aion fans were able to beat out RoM's rabid acolytes for this dubious award.

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I agree with the award (I mean damn, I even bought the CE)

• ZakorZakor Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Originally posted by marinrider

Same. Last time I buy a CE I think. Not the first time I do that mistake, just for the useless fluff... My god I'm not the smartess peanut in the jar sometimes.

o_O

Now playing : FFXIV
    Waiting on : TBD
    Best MMORPGs played : EQ, FFXI

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Undeserved.

I knew it was crap.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556
    Originally posted by Zakor

Same. Last time I buy a CE I think. Not the first time I do that mistake, just for the useless fluff... My god I'm not the smartess peanut in the jar sometimes.

o_O

Hey dont feel bad, I bought the AoC CE as well...

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165

I agree with all the staff picks for the most part. The reader picks are funny as hell. Proof that online polls are useless.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• illanadanillanadan Member Posts: 314
    Originally posted by thinktank001

at massively.com

"When your holy grail MMO title turns out to offer absolutely nothing new to the genre except a new record in grind time to level 50, you win the "Biggest Disappointment" award from me. Grats Aion. This honor is only outmatched by the size of your experience curve."

I think its interesting to see that the Aion fans were able to beat out RoM's rabid acolytes for this dubious award.

I agree 100%. RoM was a VERY close second though!

- Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Black Chassis
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (OC'd 4.2GHz on Water Cooling)
    - Memory: Mushkin 8Gb (4x 2Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz
    - HDD: Dual Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    - GFX: (2) XFX Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFire - New upgrade! :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

I'm surprised the RoMers didn't accidentally vote biggest disappointment as RoM just because they weren't reading the questions, just answering them with RoM.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• SacfedSacfed Member UncommonPosts: 210

Aion could be so much more, that is true. Perhaps someday it will be. However, the game is fun and has alot more to offer then a mindless grind. Just because people are disappointed in a games potential doesn't mean it's not good. There is a difference!

Love you long time!
  • Yea, there is a lot of bad "press" around Aion atm, though it got hyped a lot before release, so its understandable. Recently bought the game, and so far i find it fun to play. Though that may change as i hit these levels, where the grind starts, according to people.

Edit: In my mind best MMO releases of 2009 is a close tie between Champions Online and Aion, though i haven't tested RoM, am not a big fan of cash shops yet. Fallen Earth is also a good game, but not in it's current state, but it got great potential.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Jesus, this poll is so tainted... you really wanna offer to up for gloat rights? Seriously? And you expect to have any credability except with anyone except the hate trolls?

Despite the horrible state of the genre in general, the worst thing about MMORPGs remains the people that play them.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Sacfed

Aion could be so much more, that is true. Perhaps someday it will be. However, the game is fun and has alot more to offer then a mindless grind. Just because people are disappointed in a games potential doesn't mean it's not good. There is a difference!

Well when "someday" happens noone will care because all of us will be playing Guild Wars 2 and anticipating Blizzard's new mmo.

• BadMedicineBadMedicine Member Posts: 86

It always surprised me so many people bought into the hype. I mean, what WAS there to buy into? It was clear from the start it'll be another bog-standard MMO grindfest. It's just a shame such an interesting world got wasted on a game so average.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

I don't want to sound like a troll,but honestly how can you not troll about Aion and NcSoft?  Alot of people have been waitting for Aion for a long time,and once released NcSoft announces a new MMO Blade And Soul?   That's a huge slap on the face for those who bought the game and the CE.   Aion could of been good,but with Blade And Soul they will move all assets toward that new mmo and forget Aion. And a bad sign of it is NcSoft releasing a item mall for Aion in Feb, and we all know where that will lead too. How can someone actually trust NcSoft nowadays with the announcement of a new MMO not even 3 months after Aion was released? If it were a X-pac,then all this would of been a whole different story instead of a troll fest.

There's a old saying : Fool me once shame on you , fool me twice shame on me.    Good Job NcSoft.  <- no thumbs down emote.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by SuprGamerX

I don't want to sound like a troll,but honestly how can you not troll about Aion and NcSoft?  Alot of people have been waitting for Aion for a long time,and once released NcSoft announces a new MMO Blade And Soul?   That's a huge slap on the face for those who bought the game and the CE.   Aion could of been good,but with Blade And Soul they will move all assets toward that new mmo and forget Aion. And a bad sign of it is NcSoft releasing a item mall for Aion in Feb, and we all know where that will lead too. How can someone actually trust NcSoft nowadays with the announcement of a new MMO not even 3 months after Aion was released? If it were a X-pac,then all this would of been a whole different story instead of a troll fest.
      There's a old saying : Fool me once shame on you , fool me twice shame on me.    Good Job NcSoft.  <- no thumbs down emote.

That's not exactly correct.

Blade and Soul was announced some time ago.

In addition, NC's goal is not to be a one game company but to create multiple games for different tastes. So it's not as if they suddenly have no interest in previous games. Each game has its own dev team and I assume receives funding based on subs.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Vaske1984Vaske1984 Member Posts: 228

at massively.com

/signed

• ozy1ozy1 Member Posts: 309

GZ Aion... LOL

Playing Darkfall EU1 Server

• HoundeyeHoundeye Member Posts: 110

lol so i think someone didnt tell the staff at Frogster to ONLY BOOST the polls not spam win them outright lol! What a joke blatent Advertising campain. They should have just ignored the Member polls.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

at massively.com

Hate or Love Aion the fact taht so many people are still talking about the game is a sign that it here for a while.  Sure the game was over hyped and some of the things in the game were not what I expected but at the end of the day it stil was the best new MMO of 2009.  So if people are not tlaking about the game then you know its done.  Look at Warhammer, no one really says much about it anymore.  So its easy to be the biggest disappointment when your the biggest, most hyped game of the year.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by TheHatter

Undeserved.
    I knew it was crap.

Exactly!!

I was once highly anticipating this game pre-launch, but with all the info coming out about it from korea and china release, I knew it was going to be crap from my gamming prespective.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346

As soon as i heard there will be no open beta i knew i whouldnt ever buy this game. Simple as that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611
    Originally posted by branko2307

As soon as i heard there will be no open beta i knew i whouldnt ever buy this game. Simple as that.

There was an open beta. I'm not sure where you got your info from.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

I thought the grind was horrible. The graphics, pvp, and crafting were ok but all else was well...mediocre.

(AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Raving Rabbid shows the Asmodians and Eylos that you dont need wings to fly when you have a mount like Vistrix! )

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by Lathander81

lol there was no open beta...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Not sure what you're talking about because there most certainly was an Open Beta.

I was in it dawg.

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

yea there was a open beta, september 6-13

was in it as well