Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Poll just for me

EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Ok.... Here it goes. Hopefully I dont buttcher what Im about to ask.

Would you Play on a "Hard" PVE server?

Not like Hardcore, you die game over ect ect.

Just hard.

Example is FFXI. After the starter areas you will be hard pressed (Or was anyways at launch) to kill a basic mob W/O a party.

Personaly I hated the Extreame solo friendlyness of the game at launch. (Yeah im weard) the best parts were allways (For me) Dungeons because it forced you to group... well for most anyways.

Id resub in a heartbeat for a server like this.

But hell feel free to flame me. It was just a question :)

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
—Samuel Adams

Comments

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Ok.... Here it goes. Hopefully I dont buttcher what Im about to ask.
    Would you Play on a "Hard" PVE server?
    Not like Hardcore, you die game over ect ect.
    Just hard.
    Example is FFXI. After the starter areas you will be hard pressed (Or was anyways at launch) to kill a basic mob W/O a party.
    Personaly I hated the Extreame solo friendlyness of the game at launch. (Yeah im weard) the best parts were allways (For me) Dungeons because it forced you to group... well for most anyways.
    Id resub in a heartbeat for a server like this.
    But hell feel free to flame me. It was just a question :)

I dont see the point of it in WoW, since all End Game options require Grouping. So why kill Solo exploration? Now players would most def be required to Log in on Servers where the majority of the players live in the same time zone, and share similar log in times. Even more useless problems

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

Originally posted by tro44_1

I dont see the point of it in WoW, since all End Game options require Grouping. So why kill Solo exploration? Now players would most def be required to Log in on Servers where the majority of the players live in the same time zone, and share similar log in times. Even more useless problems

I agree. It is also a very OLD mechanic. Not starting a debate if it is" worse or better", it is just an old play mechanic.

Today's play is all about 24/7 play in group or solo at YOUR choice in time and place.

Independant of what others do and still possible at your desire.

Present day MMO's have to offer ALL options, not narrowed down options.

Thats kinda the point... a server type for me and my kind. Not change yours in any way... thought I made that clear... Guess not.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• ChlodwigChlodwig Member Posts: 150

Bluntly? No. The current system of WoW is great. It's one of those "OMFG, why didn't we have that from the get-go?" things.

The basic setup of long quest lines in WoW was kinda like this: Get a few quests done, get a story told, then finally to get it finished you need a group because that last step led you into a dungeon. You got the story of the dungeon told, you knew why that boss was so evil that it deserved death, and then it was time to gather your party and get him smoked.

Until recently, that last step became impossible when the whole game was so top heavy that everyone just tried to zip past any content below level 75. Let's be honest, nobody did dungeons anymore. Now, with the LFG tool, it's almost become the prefered way of leveling, simply because it's easy to get groups and you got quite powerful (for leveling gear) items. I mean, how many people were near perfectly blue equipped before level 60-70 before the new LFG came along?

A requirement for grouping would essentially mean that you pretty much have to bypass all the quest- and thus storyline content, because you will hardly find groups that are exactly at the same step of the quest you're on. So what's left is grind leveling, which is pretty much the staple of many group-centric MMOs. Boring.

WoW offers the perfect blend and caters to your taste. Want to group? LFG tool gives you one (tanks instantly, DDs with half an hour wait time). Want to quest and explore the story? Can do that too. Want a mix (e.g. want to complete the story and then head for the dungeon for that final step)? Doable as well.

24 People... More than I thought Id get :P

—Samuel Adams

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I would rather that blizzard takes a good portion of the game and makes it the "group only" content area of wow.  No real need to make a different ruleset server in my opinion.

Just make areas that have slightly better rewards, but require a group to adventure in.    Forced grouping as the only option creates to much downtime waiting to find a group and makes it really hard for a game to grow once it gets top heavy.

I think the solution is to find a good middle ground of the two and right now most games fall to far to one side or the other.

Originally posted by Daffid011

I would rather that blizzard takes a good portion of the game and makes it the "group only" content area of wow.  No real need to make a different ruleset server in my opinion.

Just make areas that have slightly better rewards, but require a group to adventure in.    Forced grouping as the only option creates to much downtime waiting to find a group and makes it really hard for a game to grow once it gets top heavy.

I think the solution is to find a good middle ground of the two and right now most games fall to far to one side or the other.

All End Game requires Grouping

Lake Wintergrasp requires Grouping

Yes, but End game sucks. Its supposed to be a MMO... thats a Journey. Not a destanation.

—Samuel Adams

Yes, but End game sucks. Its supposed to be a MMO... thats a Journey. Not a destanation.

Says who?

Where are those rules in stone?

Says who?

Where are those rules in stone?

I can tell talking to would be a waste of time. so thank you for your opinion. have a nice day.

—Samuel Adams

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

I love how he used M M O for reasoning why a MMO should be about a journey when in reality if any part of the acronym MMORPG warrants talking about it being about 'The journey' it's the RPG part, as in advancing levels, skills etc as it has almost always been in RPG games.

Nothing about MMO states a game should be about the journey.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Daffid011

Endgame and wintergrasp are a small portion of the entire mmo when compared against the entire game.

I'm just saying.

Originally posted by Pheace

I love how he used M M O for reasoning why a MMO should be about a journey when in reality if any part of the acronym MMORPG warrants talking about it being about 'The journey' it's the RPG part, as in advancing levels, skills etc as it has almost always been in RPG games.

Nothing about MMO states a game should be about the journey.

You are 110% right. RPG is supposed to be there.

—Samuel Adams