Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tough Customer LFG

nevermore82nevermore82 Member Posts: 55

Well, to keep this simple and as flamer free as possible (fingers crossed) I'll just explain what I like and what I'm looking for in the most straightforward way I can:

• I'm a hardcore  Lineage2 player... I've been at it on and off since the Korean Beta and it still is my MMORPG of reference today.
  • Graphics are pretty important to me, again I still think L2 has (imo) the most pleasing graphics to date.
  • I enjoy grinding... I don't care that much for Lore... again imo L2 has the perfect formula, I think I only did like 10-20 quests with my main char and that doesn't bother me one bit.
  • I love the open world PvP with penalty (karma) system, love the huge clan / siege wars, love the crafting system, love.... well you get the point.

This sums up everything I like about Lineage 2, and if anyone that is into the game as much as me, or can understand any of the points above, can provide me with a valid alternative to Lineage 2 I would appreciate it.

I'm currently watching TERA and Blade&Soul as the most probable replacements for my L2 addiction. But until then I would like to give another MMORPG a good solid try.

Why am I leaving L2? Well I'm not, can't leave it just like that... it has to be a continuous detox eheh :)

To help whoever is willing to help me, I have already given a good run at the following games trying to find my next addiction and already decided they're not worth it (by my standards):

• Age of Conan
  • Aion
  • Champions Online
  • Dark Age of Camelot
  • Dungeons & Dragons Online
  • EverQuest
  • Fallen Earth
  • Lord of the Rings Online
  • Pirates of the Burning Sea
  • The Chronicles of Spellborn
  • WAR
  • WoW

Only game I've tried and subscribed for more than 1 month (besides L2 ofcourse) that is still a "maybe" is EVE, but let's leave EVE out of the equation because I already know I like it :)

So... any suggestions?

Oh yeah... please no F2P/Item Mall based games... I've tried dozens of them and I'm not willing to look at another one ever.

Thanks in advance.

TU2 Closed Beta Testing... looking very good so far :D

Comments

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

I hate to say it, but if you don't like Aion, you're probably just going to have to stick with L2 until B&S or TERA.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• nevermore82nevermore82 Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by pyrofreak

I hate to say it, but if you don't like Aion, you're probably just going to have to stick with L2 until B&S or TERA.

Eheh, I guess your right... unfortunately I have the same feeling that until those 2 come out I won't find anything I enjoy as much as L2.

As for Aion, well I even pre-ordered it, I played though the Closed Betas and through the Open Beta... even managed to stay almost the full month I had subscribed for but in the end it didn't do it for me. It's an amazing game, but the PvPvE mess they made isn't up my alley. If it had a penalty system like L2 I would've probably kept playing it... I solo a lot, and after lvl25 soloing in the Abyss for more than 10 minutes without being ganked is almost impossible (at least it was when I played). L2 is more solo friendly in my opinion.

Well thanks for your input anyway :)

• zereelistzereelist Member Posts: 373

I am in the same boat as you man,  nothing can do it for me like L2 can.  For now I am giving MMO's a rest and playing single player games until either TERA or FF14 comes out.   FF14 will be nothing like L2 but i trust SE to release something new and fresh which is what i need.

I preordered Mortal Online a month ago cause i thought it may be able to fill the void but it is very lifeless in game, especially considering the devs are going full blown realism, the programming is just very bad and amateur.

I would just stick with L2  for now if i were you, unfortunately for me i quit 3 years ago and feel as if its too late to come back now.

• ohnoesohnoes Member CommonPosts: 18

You could try out Darkfall but its graphic aren't that great compare to lineage 2. It has the sort of pvp you're looking for but with a different penalty system.

Originally posted by ohnoes

You could try out Darkfall but its graphic aren't that great compare to lineage 2. It has the sort of pvp you're looking for but with a different penalty system.

Yeah, Darkfall caught my attention a while back... but since they don't have a trial (can't understand why) I haven't convinced myself to buy the game and give at least the 1 month subscription try, mostly because of the graphics. Ofcourse if I ask people who play Darkfall they're gonna say it's great and that I should play it, that's why I was looking for a more unbiased opinion (if there is such a thing lol).

But so far it's the only mmo I'm inclined to give it a try, I'm gonna go to their website and have another look :)

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Here's the review of Darkfall in a fair sense from the outsider (I won't be mean about it this time):

- The graphics are kinda odd - it almost wants to look like a comic but doesn't...at least it was like that and had the thick black outlines everywhere when I played.

- It's terribly unoptimized - (on your average above requirements computer) with shadows? Choppy. Without shadows? Runs smooth as silk.

- The combat is a bit uninspired - (trying to find good comparisons, spare me if I'm wrong) melee combat is sorta like Rune or a lesser version of TES, I guess. Bow and arrow combat is standard but a pain in the ass to skill up. Spellcasting is like Magestorm.

- The community sucks - there are very few respectable players.

- Gankers galore - everyone wants Alignment points. Ganking is the easy way to get them.

- Very limited armor - I remember 4 different full sets of armor ever being mentioned when I played.

- Not very good PvE - watch some videos. Despite the danger, it's just plain boring.

Originally posted by johnmatthais

Here's the review of Darkfall in a fair sense from the outsider (I won't be mean about it this time):
    - The graphics are kinda odd - it almost wants to look like a comic but doesn't...at least it was like that and had the thick black outlines everywhere when I played.
    - It's terribly unoptimized - (on your average above requirements computer) with shadows? Choppy. Without shadows? Runs smooth as silk.
    - The combat is a bit uninspired - (trying to find good comparisons, spare me if I'm wrong) melee combat is sorta like Rune or a lesser version of TES, I guess. Bow and arrow combat is standard but a pain in the ass to skill up. Spellcasting is like Magestorm.
    - The community sucks - there are very few respectable players.
    - Gankers galore - everyone wants Alignment points. Ganking is the easy way to get them.
    - Very limited armor - I remember 4 different full sets of armor ever being mentioned when I played.
    - Not very good PvE - watch some videos. Despite the danger, it's just plain boring.

I've read some player reviews that were a lot along the lines of what you posted. Really seems a poorly done game, only 4 different sets of armor? :

I'm not one to need a lot of content when it comes to lore, but when it comes to equipment I like to be in a game with a lot of gear... even if most of it is junk, but I like picking up gear :D

Also that ganking for alignment points thing really annoys me, starting to sound like Aion, everyone wants to rank up, and ganking is also the easy way.

Well thanks for the outsider view, guess my quest for a new mmo will continue, or I'll just wait until Mass Effect 2 comes out and then I'll be occupied for a while eheh :)

P.S. They should have made a NWN mmo... still one of my top 5 games of all time

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Aion is probably the best for you if you like Lineage 2. It have a bit less grind (well, it and every other game) but it is still closer to it then any other MMO. 

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I'm gonna recommend Face of Mankind, even though it's definitely not fer everyone. It does however do crafting markets, PvP siege and defense better than any other game I've played so far. I'm hooked.

As for grind though, it's hidden within objectives that are randomly handed out based on what the leadership sets. In my faction we are at war, and I get objectives saying to patrol our home territory or explore enemy ones and attack. Doing so gets you FC (which is money, in a sense), XP and you lose PP (penalty points) that raise from killing randoms.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by Loke666

Aion is probably the best for you if you like Lineage 2. It have a bit less grind (well, it and every other game) but it is still closer to it then any other MMO. 

well as I mentioned in a post above, Aion is definitely not what I want. I believed in the game, pre-order, CBTs, OB, 1 month sub and I don't intend to give it another shot.

I have to disagree with you, I think it's a lot different from L2, it could have taken some good ideas from L2 but it didn't. I know the game was a big hit (probably still is) but it's clearly targeted to the "WoW market", I played in a legion that had around 30 players that were previous WoW players. You will probably never see a former WoW player in L2... because it's in a completely different league as an MMO. Not saying it's better (that's my personal opinion and I'm trying to stay unbiased), it's just so much different.

Aion lost a lot of it's Korean heritage along the way, that's exactly what I like in L2... even after 5 years it stays true to it's original intent, well most of it at least, I didn't like some of the changes along the way... but they can't please everyone.

IMHO a good game is a game that despite having flaws they're so insignificant in the "big picture" that you just keep playing for hours and don't even pay attention to those flaws. To me L2 is like that, I know it has flaws but they don't bother me. Aion's flaws bothered me a lot, they were permanently annoying me so that's why I gave it up.

Originally posted by GTwander

I'm gonna recommend Face of Mankind, even though it's definitely not fer everyone. It does however do crafting markets, PvP siege and defense better than any other game I've played so far. I'm hooked.
    As for grind though, it's hidden within objectives that are randomly handed out based on what the leadership sets. In my faction we are at war, and I get objectives saying to patrol our home territory or explore enemy ones and attack. Doing so gets you FC (which is money, in a sense), XP and you lose PP (penalty points) that raise from killing randoms.

EVE outside the spaceships? :) seems interesting, gonna give it a look... I'm not a great fan of these games that have free vs premium accounts but I'm gonna give a try anyway.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

The freemium vs premium styles are barely different. Premium only adds the ability to have apartments, makes cloning faster, allows a greater stock of clones, allows crafting high-quality goods (even though free users can still buy/use them), and allows you to be promoted past a certain rank (which doesn't matter since rank 1 is automatic with the xp, and everything past that is a leadership position, which is a *job*). I'm happy playing for free atm, at least until I really get into it and can't play anything else with what time I got.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture