Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: CCP in 2010

2»

Comments

• AevenathAevenath Member UncommonPosts: 116

If they try to make the WoD MMO more like Twilight, appealing to tween girls instead of more focus on WoD... I'm going to be knockin' some heads. 

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462
    Originally posted by Aevenath

If they try to make the WoD MMO more like Twilight, appealing to tween girls instead of more focus on WoD... I'm going to be knockin' some heads. 

If the CCP band, Permaband, makes a song called "Harden the Fuck Up", do you really think they'd make any MMO catered to anything even remotely similar to the Twilight crowd?

Don't worry.

Originally posted by Comnitus

If the CCP band, Permaband, makes a song called "Harden the Fuck Up", do you really think they'd make any MMO catered to anything even remotely similar to the Twilight crowd?

Don't worry.

They did say they were aiming the MMO at the 18-25 female population... so who knows.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Don't worry.

They did say they were aiming the MMO at the 18-25 female population... so who knows.

Link? Haven't see that stated anywhere before.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Don't worry.

Link? Haven't see that stated anywhere before.

"Mr Veigar Pétursson says, with more professional males in the 25-35-year-old age range losing their jobs, he has seen the number of subscribers soar since the economic crisis began. CCP Games has been profitable since 2004, but all profits are currently being reinvested in Eve Online and also into creating World of Darkness, a new online subscription game about vampires targeting an 18-25-year-old, female demographic."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/5344839/Virtual-world-is-a-real-money-maker.html

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by LynxJSA

I want to reach a point in my life where I am perfectly comfortable spouting the most nonsensical crap with complete disregard for history, fact or reality. I think I'd have a blast.

Cheers to you, Wizardry.

Lol, was thinking the same. That comment seemed completely random.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

"Mr Veigar Pétursson says, with more professional males in the 25-35-year-old age range losing their jobs, he has seen the number of subscribers soar since the economic crisis began. CCP Games has been profitable since 2004, but all profits are currently being reinvested in Eve Online and also into creating World of Darkness, a new online subscription game about vampires targeting an 18-25-year-old, female demographic."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/5344839/Virtual-world-is-a-real-money-maker.html

Because the  word 'says' appeared somewhere on the page, every sentence is a quote from the CEO? Especially in one of the few paragraphs where the CEO isn't being quoted? I dunno, that seems like a real stretch, especially since it doesn't even seem logical. I mean, is 18-25 women the WOD crowd? Has that been stated in other articles/interviews? Seems more like a reporter's guess.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

note that EVE has very strong industrial component, which is mostly non-pvp oriented. it wouldn't surprise me if CCP manages to create WOD where PVPers have their share of combat while "industry"-part becomes social manipulation/interaction.

also, while humans, vampires and werewolves might seem limited as, effectively, class choices, knowing CCP, there will be quite a lot of specialization options.

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by Wizardry

My opinion is that CCP will eventually be a decent developer ,but right now they are still near barely near the middle of the pack. To each thier own I suppose. But if you look at the subscription numbers and profitability, EVE is right at the top with the other big boys.
    It is amazing to myself that the CCP has/had a great vision of what they wanted EVE to be,but most think what EVE started out as and is now ,is the best thing since sliced cheese.None of EVE's cheap game was the goal of CCP,they wanted the game that most of us that don't like EVE demand from the game,and one day they probably will reach their goal. If you know anything about MMOs, you should know that the original goal and the end product have never been the same for any MMO. Ever.
    DUST looks to be their first installment for a graphically decent game,we will have to see if the game play meets the graphic standards,after all it is a HUGE task to go from making a literal spreadsheet game to one full of rich animations/graphics and game play.This is like taking CCP from a C rated developer to an A rated developer over night,i don't think they are ready for that step just yet. I still think CCP is A+. I only played EVE for about 6 months, but only quit due to time constraints and personal finances. Also, EVE is full of rich graphics. The game is freaking beautiful and nobody questions it. Also there is quite a bit of gameplay to EVE, just not the type you like. I dont think they will have trouble with a shooter.
    As for the MMORPG game WOD,i believe this one another developer's game,so i am not sure how much input CCP will have,this sounded more like a joining of forces to help each other with the marketing of the games and collectibles/books/other avenues.My gut tells me this will be a very quick project,not much money or effort spent on it.This game i believe will only have 3 playable races,Werewolves/Vamps and Mages?When i see only 3 races i think of minimal cheap design,sorry but i have to be realistic.This game i think actually started in 009 since it was only a thought in 2008,so not much more than one year will have gone into this game,if you believe their forecast 2010 release date. Fail. If you read the article, you would know that what you speak is fail.

@brenth: They don't treat potential players like second class. They don't treat PvE players like second class. They also have a large number of non PvP players.

CCP made a game for a target audience and have been excelling in that. That is part of thier success. Not part of the failure to capture more people. Too many game companies want thier target demographic to be anyone and everyone. This is why the others fail.

Sure, there are a lot of EVE refugees, but find me an MMO where there isn't. Also, find me an MMO where you find the subs and concurrent users steadily rising.

As far as the barren systems... Its space buddy. Not only is it space, but its to scale. That means that there is a LOT of emptiness. LOTS. I mean, what do you expect? A space station with a giant glowing palm tree? Some alien colonies? Worlds buzzing like they do in Star Wars? Most of the content in the game is player generated.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

To the article Writer:

You left out ONE major gripe about the new DUST 514 (sp?) game CCP is developing that most of the EVEr community is pissed about. That MAJOR gripe is that DUST514 is CONSOLE ONLY, and yet DUST is supposed to add ground game decision making for sovereignty in EVE. This is completely horse crap because EVE is a hardcore-PC game. We do NOT have consoles, nor do we have the $$$ to invest both in consoles and our PC's.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by Phry
    just please dont make it twilight online

Did you know that the WOD mmo is targeted towards a female demographic?

I'll give you some time to let this sink, then throw your arms above your head and run around screaming. :D

As for ccp in '10..they will have a lot to do in the new year. They failed at the sov system revamp, then lost track of the capital revamp due to internal power struggles. The industry expansion never happened although the economy is screaming for changes. The latest changes in t2 production created a new bottleneck, mineral prices plummet as less and less ressources are extracted by mining but introduced into the system by pve activities. Old mechanics are left untouched for ages or just plain abandoned.

So yeah, while i guess ccp still has a great future, they really need to work on their development style. Scrum, overly optimistic deadlines and internal struggles will hurt eve in the long run.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by LynxJSA

Because the  word 'says' appeared somewhere on the page, every sentence is a quote from the CEO? Especially in one of the few paragraphs where the CEO isn't being quoted? I dunno, that seems like a real stretch, especially since it doesn't even seem logical. I mean, is 18-25 women the WOD crowd? Has that been stated in other articles/interviews? Seems more like a reporter's guess.

@ Aevenath

Thanks for the link.

@ rest

I'd have to agree that I don't think this was a quote else it would have been put in quotes. If anything I'd bet it was an also in that the typical male age group was being targeted but in addition the female 18-25 group is being targetted with WOD. As for if that's the WoD crowd, no, it is not it sum total. Is it a large portion of it, you better believe it. My "people" are the role-playing folks. The ones that are staff at Scarborough and work at other medieval styles places of business (usually restaurants). I've been known to game store "hop" (as opposed to bar hopping) no matter what city or state I'm in. The number of females interested in White Wolf's games, in particular vampire (TM or TR) is astronomical when compared to other table-top (LARPable) role playing games.

So, yeah, CCP doesn't have to do anything extra but just recreate WoD and Vampire, Werewolf and Mage as they are in written format and the systems plus the subject matter will draw a healthy female crowd in my opinion.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

I am glad world of darkness is being developed largely in secret because otherwise I would have to hit up the web page everyday and anticipate it for years.  Can't wait to play it, and Dust 514 as well.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

"Did you know that the WOD mmo is targeted towards a female demographic?"

That quote was some random guesswork from the news media, it was never substantiated.  Just thinking about it and way this industry works should make any one with any intelligence disregard such speculation.  CCP has some very intelligent people behind it and know the industry is driven by a post teen male group.  Now it could be they want to attract more females, but you can bet they will still target the male demographic first.

So spread your nonsense elsewhere, you just look like a fool posting it here.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Ive enjoyed playing Eve Online for a year and a half now and still loving it. I cant wait to see what all dust 514 has to offer. I want my WOD please!

(AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH goes on Euro vacation with Leanne tweeden)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    CCP has some very intelligent people behind it and know the industry is driven by a post teen male group. 

I see your knowledge of demographics is severely lacking..

• GozerTCGozerTC Member UncommonPosts: 119

I'm a big CCP fan myself.  While I no longer have the time or desire to play Eve (one year old daughter won't leave my laptop alone so I could play even if I wanted. :p )  I AM highly interested in DUST.  Since it is a console game I will be able to play that for an hour or so in the mornings and that's all I want anymore. :) 

As for World of Darkness I'm also interested in that since my buds play the Pen and Paper game regularly. (I don't but only because they're no longer in the state. :p )  So yeah I'm looking forward to hearing more from CCP! 

Current Game: Asssasins Creed 2(PS3, Gamer Tag: Happy_Hubby)
    Current MMO: World of Warcraft and World of Tanks
    Former Subscribed MMO: Star Trek Online, Aion, WoW, Guild Wars, Eve Online, DAoC, City of Heroes, Shattered Galaxy, 10six.
    Tried: Too many to list

• UgottawantitUgottawantit Member Posts: 146
    Originally posted by Lanthir

Dam when i saw the title of the article I was hopping there would indeed be more info on WOD.  :)

Yea, I too was hoping for some information about CCP in this article, but alas there was none. What was the point of this article?

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by brenth

there only as big as they are because they have no real competition.
    and they wouuld be much bigger if they were  non-pvp friendly  instead of treating 3/4 the potential players like 2nd class  players.
    unless your hard core pvp  bot bother with EVE.

even past this,,, while the  screen shots are pretty  the content is bitterly baren
    5000 (7500)  systems  but they are procedurally generated  and have no interesting or unique content   and the planets are still borringly  nothing but more scenery.
    there are many EVE refugees 
    it was hoped that star trek online would be a viable option but  it is not a factor any more.  so dissenfranchised players will have to wait for the next big scifi/ space MMO 

Yeah.... Sorry man Eve doesn't cater to certain pve types.

They have missions and exploration stuff and you have access to Empire space (which is massive) but it still falls short if your strickly a Pver.

Maybe JGE or BP will be more to your liking?

Oh to to the ones in this thread worried about the female demographic comment. please keep in mind that women have always been huge supporters of Vampire the masquerade Roleplaying.

When growing up in NYC hot goth chicks loved that shit (gay males also) so expect a truely unique playerbase.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum