Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

League of Legends - an absolute blast!

2»

Comments

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Comnitus
    That never sounds good. How's the game balance if you don't want to spend any money in the store? 

You can't buy anything which would make you more powerful.  The only things exclusively purchased with Riot Points are character skins and boosts (200% xp/ip gain.)

Along the same timeline, a boosted player is obviously going to be slightly stronger in the shortterm.  But the non-boosted (free) player still reaches max level quite fast and accumulates a full set of runes, at which point they're on completely even footing.

The main difference is playstyle flexibility. Paying gives you access to more playstyles faster, but you can only choose 1 playstyle per battle (one champion, and one set of runes) so it's not making you stronger within a given round.

I think it's weird people claim HON has better graphics.  LOL's artstyle is a lot easier on the eyes -- and actually uses color.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Yeah LoL is a great game and even better when you get a group of friends together, jump in vent and have a blast.

*Edit: and it free... pretty sweet deal, been playing for months.

O_o o_O

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

Just downloaded and tried it today before I even saw this post. A lot of fun! I thought the community was a bit rude, but I'm digging the gameplay. I really like their cash shop model as well, you can buy most things with "influence points" that you are rewarded from playing, and of course you can also buy things with cash. They don't sell anything for cash that makes you character stronger or better than other players (=

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• Shazzel1Shazzel1 Member Posts: 26

League of Legends    

http://leagueoflegends.com/

Pros:

* Free

* Very new player friendly

* Good Graphics

* Balanced team matchmaking system

* Premade teams have disadvantage unless all 5 are pro (which is rarely the case)

* Solo que'ers make up a decent percentage of the top 500

* buying options if you decide you like it enough to invest is very reasonable (but not needed)

* Gamespy Gamer's Choice PC Game of the Year!

Along with dragon age, League of Legends is imo the best two games this year 09-10

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

Yeah Dragon Age origins and League of Legends will remain my main squeeze for quite awhile. I canceled my MMOs and just focusing on these for the time being.

Nice thing I always liked bout LoL (and its predecessor DoTA) it always felt like an MMO too me. You pick a 'class' (hero), slay mobs to level up, team up with other heroes to gank, etc. The only thing it was missing was some sort of persistent stats. But LoL adds that

• daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361

ya now all they need to make is Shadowbane LoL style. 

Shadowbane had the best PVP of any game, ever.  Period.  I just hope they turn it into an LoL style game!

• vincehvinceh Member Posts: 208

I played DotA for four years and switched to HoN about 5 months ago.  I've also played LoL (gave it two tries actually) so I know exactly what they're like.  Main differences of each game:

League of Legends:

- Carebear game, it's quite newb friendly

- Tries to have it's own style different from DotA (some will say this is a bad thing, as I do)

- Cartoon style graphics

- Community is sub-par

|  This is actually a misleading trait.  Many people say how good the LoL community is, but in actuality it's no better than games like HoN or DotA once you get into the more competitive scene.  In the beginning everyone seems nice (actually it's more like they don't even talk), but if you make your way up and become more competitive, people will start flaming you for being bad.

Overall, this is a game that I would not want to play.  It tries to hold your hand too much, making it quite bland at times.  Not to mention the bad summoner system.  Some might disagree, but if you are a competitive player who enjoys a challenge, this isn't the game for you.

Heroes of Newerth:

- Steep learning curve, but yields greater results

- Mechanics are very similar to DotA

- More realistic graphics

- Bad community

|  It is known that the HoN community is bad.  There probably won't be one game where you don't get flamed if you are bad.  It doesn't bother me because I've dealt with stupid kids all my MMO years.  But to some people it matters.

HoN is very similar to HoN in the way it plays and mechanics.  There are some item and hero differences, but all-in-all it is not so different.  HoN is enjoyable once you get past the learning curve.  It just feels better when you own someone in HoN vs owning someone in LoL.  I also find HoN much smoother and faster in terms of gameplay and overall feel.

What it comes down to:  If you are a casual player who enjoys carebear'ing, play LoL.  If you are competitive and like to get into the game, play HoN.  My advice is try both of them out, since they are both free.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

I'm amused by how a non-retarded UI is called "handholding" nowadays.  You mean rollover text actually explains what shit does?  :P

Mostly the big reason not to play HON is it's so uninspired.  It's almost a direct copy of DOTA and lacks the game design credentials to make me think they'll take it anywhere interesting.  Ironically my advice is almost opposite of some other others in the thread: if you played DOTA, HON probably won't offer you anything new, while LOL is at least a new start (it's more interesting on account of not being virtually identical.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver