Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

League of Legends - an absolute blast!

daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361

I've been playing LoL (League of Legends) a TON lately!  IT's totally free.  It's a lot like DOTA (defense of the ancients) mod for warcraft 3 but better.  Did I mention it's free?

I'm so sick of paying 15 bucks a month on top of 50 for a good multiplayer game.  I think I'll be playing this one for awhile.

http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/

That's the sign up so you can start playing.  This isn't an advertisement by the company, I just noticed that there's not a lot of people on in the mornings and I'm hoping to get more people to join :p

Comments

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

Don't know why you put that long link- it looks like some sort of referral.
    www.leagueoflegends.com
    or www.lol-europe.com
    Those simply are the links and it's a good multiplayer game.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

The link he posted is more then likely the "recruit a friend" thing that League of Legends has.  That might explain the super long link he posted.

As for the game itself, it's good fun.  I play it now and again with a few friends.  It kills time quite nicely and before you know it you have 3 or 4 games finished and looking for another one.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

Yeah LoL is a great game with a good solid community. Very good devs I must say

Just wish his post didn't seem like some sort of viral marketing. Cause it really is a good game with a huge fanbase already

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Great game.  Play it often.

But Referral + Not an MMORPG = Delete This Thread (or at least just remove the ref. link.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361

it's not a referral they don't have a referral program yet, the invite a friend thing doesn't work.  I iddn't mean to sound viral, I was just advertising quickly so I could get back to playing.  I pulled the link off a google search for signing up.

• DarkeonDarkeon Member UncommonPosts: 48

Heroes of Newerth is much much better than LoL and it's made with the help of Icefrog ! http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/

• wilbergwilberg Member Posts: 182

HoN is hella suck bunch of smack talking azn kids play it

• Elitekill4Elitekill4 Member Posts: 99

First of all: Wilberg, shut the hell up. What you said is probably going to be considered offensive and is potential racism.

Second of all, isn't HoN subscription? That's what I heard, at least. And also, uhm, doesn't it need WC3?

Third of all: This game is okay. :3 But you're going to be way overpowered by the bigger guys, so go to auto-join and hope you end up with some good players.

• DarkeonDarkeon Member UncommonPosts: 48

Well check HoN at www.heroesofnewerth.com and see for yourself ... better graphics, animations, gameplay than Wc3(dota) or LoL!

And yes you need to buy the game but after that is free to play!

I think it's open beta now so everyone can try it !

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

HoN is like LOL x10 in the complexability department. There is no hand holding HoN or anything that shows you how to get started. You sink or swim in it.

HoN is also a standalone game but I believe they are going with the one time box sell only with the game. Got to admit though the game is hard to break into and get good at. Everyone that has been playing it awhile is already to the point of min/maxing that unless you have Dota experience your not going to do very good with it.

LOL is more of the entry point where they atleast give you some pointers on what items are best for your character / ect.

Both games are equally good but having played both for dozens of hours I would have to give the recommendation to LOL. It's just got a easier entry barrier and tends to show more polish then HoN.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

I played LoL for a while, mostly played the pirate, the cannon barrage was way OP =D

.. but HoN looks more involving, so I am waiting for that rather then get into LoL.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Collector's Pack Content:

• 20 additional playable Champions
    • 4 powerful Summoner Runes
    • $10 of Riot Points for use in the store
    • An exclusive Champion skin, exclusive to the Digital Collector's Edition - Annie (hover over to view the full-size image)

That never sounds good. How's the game balance if you don't want to spend any money in the store?

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055
    Originally posted by PatchDay

Yeah LoL is a great game with a good solid community. Very good devs I must say

Just wish his post didn't seem like some sort of viral marketing. Cause it really is a good game with a huge fanbase already

His account was made 4 1/2 years ago with 252 posts, not today with 3 posts all about LOL.

His post came off nothing like a viral marketer, nor does this thread.

Consider this a free bump for you OP, and habe fun in your game.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• wilbergwilberg Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Elitekill4

First of all: Wilberg, shut the hell up. What you said is probably going to be considered offensive and is potential racism.

Second of all, isn't HoN subscription? That's what I heard, at least. And also, uhm, doesn't it need WC3?

Third of all: This game is okay. :3 But you're going to be way overpowered by the bigger guys, so go to auto-join and hope you end up with some good players.

u mad azn

• somonekilwowsomonekilwow Member UncommonPosts: 96

lol is so imbalanced compared to hon.

<iframe src="http://www.wowarmory.com/character-model-embed.xml?r=Malorne&cn=Ashkin&rhtml=true"; scrolling="no" height="588" width="321" frameborder="0"></iframe>

HoN, huh? Well, at least they have Engineers and Witch Hunters... err, I mean Witch Slayers... and I'm pretty sure I saw a Magus-type class in the promo video. Now all they need are some Warrior Priests! But I'm pretty sure I saw the Balrog from Lord of the Rings in there, too.

Ah, enough of me ranting about their blatant copying of established IPs. Game looks like fun, more fun than LoL.

I would say the balance isnt bad. And in no part are you required to spend money in the store. Everything within the store can be picked up with IP and you get IP by  winning matchs. I haven't seen anything that would give someone an advantage over someone else. Unless you consider the items that give you 0.65% critical chance improvement a huge advantage. Then ageain you can buy them same items with IP also.

Both HoN and LoL are the same game type. One is easier to get into then the other. Both just feature two different types of payment systems. LoL is a free game where you can play without ever spending a $$. Where if you want to play HoN then you have pay the box price $40+ upfront and thats it.

LoL features a blizzard style or art where HoN is based around a dark realistic look.

At the end of the day it just comes down to what art style you like and if you want to pay any money or not.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by Comnitus
    Collector's Pack Content:
    20 additional playable Champions 4 powerful Summoner Runes $10 of Riot Points for use in the store An exclusive Champion skin, exclusive to the Digital Collector's Edition - Annie (hover over to view the full-size image)
    That never sounds good. How's the game balance if you don't want to spend any money in the store?

All that is is you can buy additional skins for classes. Or you can open up classes you don't have type thing.

Originally posted by Thomas2006

I would say the balance isnt bad. And in no part are you required to spend money in the store. Everything within the store can be picked up with IP and you get IP by  winning matchs. I haven't seen anything that would give someone an advantage over someone else. Unless you consider the items that give you 0.65% critical chance improvement a huge advantage. Then ageain you can buy them same items with IP also.

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Darkeon

Well check HoN at www.heroesofnewerth.com and see for yourself ... better graphics, animations, gameplay than Wc3(dota) or LoL!

LoL is a lot more tolerant of noobs

Heroes of Newerth was overrun with jerks last time I tried to play. My close friends said the samething

So basically, if you are beginner->pro play LoL

If you think you're godlike, play HoN. Horrible community though HoN has I must say. I had awful experiences with them. The worst d!cks from DoTA has migrated to HoN in my eyes

HoN has good graphics but LoL has really nice graphics too, just a bit on the cartoonish side. But anyway I'm biased towards LoL due to nice treatment from the community (I never grew expert at DoTA)

edit: I'm not referring to the poster that made this post btw. I do not know him. For Clarity. He wrote a good post

Originally posted by PatchDay

Originally posted by Darkeon

LoL is a lot more tolerant of noobs

Heroes of Newerth was overrun with jerks last time I tried to play. My close friends said the samething

So basically, if you are beginner->pro play LoL

If you think you're godlike, play HoN. Horrible community though HoN has I must say. I had awful experiences with them. The worst d!cks from DoTA has migrated to HoN in my eyes

HoN has good graphics but LoL has really nice graphics too, just a bit on the cartoonish side. But anyway I'm biased towards LoL due to nice treatment from the community (I never grew expert at DoTA)

edit: I'm not referring to the poster that made this post btw. I do not know him. For Clarity. He wrote a good post

I agree with you on the community of HoN.  You make one small mistake and you get chewed out for not doing this or that. If you are new to the Dota style game then HoN is not the place you want to learn or start out at. The game is very unforgiving with the setup HoN has. There's nothing as far as a tutorial or any hints on what items to buy or anything.  LoL has a tutorial, you can play ageanst Bots to learn the gameplay and such, it shows you recommened items for your class / hero. It does alot more as far as getting you in and enjoying the game. HoN drops you in and expects you to be a expert right off the bad. The community doesn't help any. 

League of Legends is a nice time killer.  You get it for free, and as you play and win matches you get points to spend on unlocking other playable characters, runes to put in your book that augment your regeneration rates, Ability Power, critical chance/damage and so on.  There are Riot Points that cost you REAL MONEY but any items you buy with those seem like fluff (different character skins) so I don't have any issue with that.  I might be wrong there but I doubt anybody playing League of Legends is going to spend actual money on it.

Heroes of Newerth as far as I can gather will be a box sale in stores and is published by the same people that made Savage and Savage 2.  You'll notice that some of the playable characters resemble the units you control in the game such as the Balrog looking one, or the Legionaire, or the model they use for the Scout. 

The main issue I have with HoN is the terrible community.  It's the rabid DOTA bastards that like swinging from Icefrog's nuts and throw him all praise where in their eyes he can do no wrong.  They refuse to teach new people how to play, and expect everybody to be at competition level when they play. 

Another thing that bothers me about HoN is that the game gives you a % readout of probability of success based on the stats that the people on your team have.  What ends up happening is that when people see that they have a less than 50% chance to win or smaller they usually bitch and complain and then leave because they automatically assume it's a loss.  Many a time my friends and I have gone in to play against someone who had overwhelming odds of success only to wipe the floor with them so badly that statistically it made no sense.

In closing, if you played DOTA and can stand the people then you'll do fine with HoN, however if you're starting out with this kind of game play go with League of Legends.  You'll have an easier time of it.  Once you get your bearings you can always branch out.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529
    Originally posted by wilberg

There's no azn kids playing it, they're all Brazilian.

Originally posted by Brif

Originally posted by wilberg

There's no azn kids playing it, they're all Brazilian.

Don't forget the Russians... lots and lots of Russians

• daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361

The only reason I'll ever play HoN is for techies...  I love techies, and usually only play techies.  I actually hate playing HoN, the graphics aren't better... the screenshots seem cool, but in game the models are all off, the environment is ugly and out of proportion with the DOTA counterpart.   The abilities are all different and frankly Warcraft 3 looks better.

That said I've played DOTA for five years, then went to LoL and I haven't gone back since.  It's really that much better.

At first you'll think oh it's not balanced, blah blah blah...  you'll come up with a million things wrong with it.  Except that after awhile of playing, getting to know all the heroes and their abilities you'll understand it's not perfect but it's fun, it's free, and it doesn't take an hour to play a game out like HoN.  Games typically last 25-30 minutes.