Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth a try?

asyndetonasyndeton Member UncommonPosts: 87

I had this game (the three pack) in my hand today. But i wasn't sure if i should give it a try, the no monthly fee is nice but i dont want to spend money on a game ill end up never playing.

I played EQ, EQ2, and WoW (of course), but i want to try something new. So basically will Guild Wars be a different experience, and how much so?

Also im a little confused on how their is three different games, are they just expansions or what?

Comments

• parasitehillparasitehill World of Warcraft CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 10

My only problem with GW is the level cap is only 20. I know the idea was to keep people from being preoccupied with level and reaching cap, but it seemed to make me less likely to stick with one character. Oh and also, the different games are different campaigns...so basically expansions. With the additional ones Nightfall and Factions i think it was...you get a new game to play through and 2 new classes per xpac.

I played a ritualist through the nightfall campaign which by far was my favorite. You hit level 20 before you even finish the campaign though. It made going on to the next areas just kind of blah. I think even like level 40 would have made it more worth a player's while to go ahead and continue playing. I made additional characters to play through the other campaigns but I didn't enjoy them as much as Nightfall. It's definitely not a bad game though and I have gone back to play it many times - although my original time with the game was the best. Also you don't need all 3 to play. You need prophecies I think because it's the first game, but you don't need the other two.

• asyndetonasyndeton Member UncommonPosts: 87

ok, i think ill give it a try. Probably the best way is to just see for myself. I usually make a lot of alts anyway so i can see myself going back to the game every so often.

Thanks for replying.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by asyndeton

ok, i think ill give it a try. Probably the best way is to just see for myself. I usually make a lot of alts anyway so i can see myself going back to the game every so often.
    Thanks for replying.

Eh, look at it this way, if the game isnt all that great in your opinion (like not the best yet not the worst) you will at least always have a good free multiplayer game to screw around in.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• asyndetonasyndeton Member UncommonPosts: 87

Okay, i heard that this game was click-to-move, is that true?

• HeadBytorHeadBytor Member UncommonPosts: 93

Okay, i heard that this game was click-to-move, is that true?

yes you can use the click to move, but its not the only method. you can use wasd keys as well

• zco12zco12 Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by fyerwall

Thanks for replying.

Eh, look at it this way, if the game isnt all that great in your opinion (like not the best yet not the worst) you will at least always have a good free multiplayer game to screw around in.

Ahh I totally agree. Also a great thing to do would be to go on youtube and look up gameplay videos, go to guild wars website and take a look at the features.

I've made my decision, I'm getting Guild Wars with free Eye of the North while they're on sale at NCsoft store. ^^

I played the trial, graphics are decent, gameplay depends more on skill, which I really like. Definitely worth to try or at least look at.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by parasitehill

My only problem with GW is the level cap is only 20.

A matter of preference. Most people who enjoy the game like the fact of the low level cap. Probably 95% of Nightfall, for example, is done at max level. It is really there because of their anti grind philosphy. In addition to that it facilitates playing with friends since most likely there won't be a level difference.

If you find this low level restrictive you are looking at GW from the wrong point of view or you simply would rather play a level based game. There is nothing wrong with that but many of us appreciate that there is a game that is not level dominated.