Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD or Intel ?

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I'm looking to buy a new pc and I was wondering if you guys can help me out to determine the pros and cons of the following processors. I really just want to be able to to play upcoming mmos like The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2.

1. Athlon II x4 Quad Core

2. Phenom X2 Dual Core

3. I5 Core Quad Core

4. Phenom x4 Quad Core

Comments

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

I think AMD and Intell are equally good in quality.  I use Intell myself but some of my friends use AMD and swear by it.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

I prefer the Phenom II 720 BE at the moment. For the price it still is able to compete with some of the big dogs on the block and as old as it is I find that rather amazing. Of course my Phenom II 720 BE happened to be one of the stable 4 cores so it was a real win for me hehehehe. What was your price range?

• NoGame00NoGame00 Member UncommonPosts: 51

I have an i7 and let me tell you it is a beast of a processor.

I'm know the i5's are equal in awesomeness so I would choose that for sure.

CAUTION: Using your brain is NOT endorsed by governments, religious, educational institutions, secret societies and corporations involved with serious power and financial profit obtained from a brainwashed and enslaved population. Mild discomfort may occur as confusing independent thought challenges your current view of the world. Use your brain, think for yourself and question authority. Reality is an opinion, you determine the reality in which you inhabit.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Yea I like the Phenom II 720 BE. Most games can only use 2 cores and a few can use 3, but even the most multi-threaded games don't see much difference between 3 and 4 core so the 720 is just right and has good clock speeds and price.

But it's pretty easy.. AMD < $180, Intel > $180.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Techleo

I prefer the Phenom II 720 BE at the moment. For the price it still is able to compete with some of the big dogs on the block and as old as it is I find that rather amazing. Of course my Phenom II 720 BE happened to be one of the stable 4 cores so it was a real win for me hehehehe. What was your price range?

$650 max most likely. Right now I run a AMD 64x2 dual-core processor 3800+. So I was thinking since I was on a budget the Athlon II x4 Quad would be a good buy. I wouldn't mind even a triple core if I can find one. I also want to make sure I can get good performace from games like Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2. :D

Originally posted by SaintViktor

$650 max most likely. Right now I run a AMD 64x2 dual-core processor 3800+. So I was thinking since I was on a budget the Athlon II x4 Quad would be a good buy. I wouldn't mind even a triple core if I can find one. I also want to make sure I can get good performace from games like Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2. :D

What motherboard are you using? You may not need to get a new motherboard if you have an AM2+ mobo and there is a bios update for the Phenom II's, and then you could get this done for pretty cheap if you can put the CPU in yourself (it's easy).

Originally posted by noquarter

What motherboard are you using? You may not need to get a new motherboard if you have an AM2+ mobo and there is a bios update for the Phenom II's, and then you could get this done for pretty cheap if you can put the CPU in yourself (it's easy).

Good idea but the problem is that my pc literally died on me. I think the mobo fried but no big deal because it was a 4 year old pc. Luckily I can still use my brother's laptop so I can hunt for a new pc.

Good idea but the problem is that my pc literally died on me. I think the mobo fried but no big deal because it was a 4 year old pc. Luckily I can still use my brother's laptop so I can hunt for a new pc.

Ah too bad, are you gonna reuse case or PSU or anything, and can you build it yourself?

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

Get AMD. Cheaper just as powerful  as Intel and you can use overdrive and fusion to really get the max out of your PC.

Originally posted by noquarter

Ah too bad, are you gonna reuse case or PSU or anything, and can you build it yourself?

Going all brand new and unfortunately I am not one of those who builds pcs.

• KnightcryKnightcry Member Posts: 168

I switched to AMD and will never go back. The price and stability is unbeatable when compared to Intel. Every time I had an intel it always ran very hot and ended up burning out even with better heat sinks and fans. Hell my wife runs most games on her 2.2AMD(although we maxxed the ram on that).  Super expensive cpus are overrated for what is out there, so don't fall for the need to have hype as you don't need a super computer to game.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Avoid a quad core Athlon and a dual core Phenom, both are a bad investment.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

I'm looking to buy a new pc and I was wondering if you guys can help me out to determine the pros and cons of the following processors. I really just want to be able to to play upcoming mmos like The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2.
    1. Athlon II x4 Quad Core
    2. Phenom X2 Dual Core
    3. I5 Core Quad Core
    4. Phenom x4 Quad Core

op processor dont matter!i use a x2 4600 and it work fine.as of yet i have yet to see a game designer good enough to outperform my gear ,yep they are that bad.

once dx11 is online this might change.im not sure since the biggest issue 90% of player face in anygame isnt the max of the graphic setting avail but the fact game designer use process 2 gen too old

large adress aware could be good but since it only rise ram from 2 gig to say 4 gig for 64 byte or 3 gig for 32 byte

it still doesnt fix the problem that server dont detect or detect too late when your close to max rame and dump memory content too late

it isnt the speed of computer ,its literally server that dont detect it or game ,never had that issue in wow since graphic quality is fairly low

but on a game like eq2,lotro,aion you will have to put graphic lower since game maker have yet to find a solution for this issue

my advice?if you change your computer for brandnew one ,im biased to say buy intel

the trouble with this is the fact intel graphic card thingy isnt ready yet it will be a while ,and it might not be compatible with todays intel

nvidia?they have been having lot of manufacturing issue in the last quater and i wouldnt buy an intel with a nvidia  graphic card

so if im honest ?today?there is only one system that is ready and i mean fully ready and will be good for a long while its

amd/ati combo

phenom x4 940 or such plus a dx11 readfy ati graphic card will be a good buy .in 12 month intel might have a full system ready but then by then so will nvidia.

and dont forget intel has been promissing better then ati and nvidia graphic card and we have yet to see those its been years.

amd/ati today

in a year?nobody knows?

• DarbonxDarbonx Member Posts: 7

+1 for the Phenom II X3 720 BE. AMDs CPU have the best value and with the unlocked clock multiplier (hence Black Edition) you can easily overclock it from 2.8Ghz to a stable 3.2Ghz.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Well I have had an X3 720 BE for a while now, it's easily overclocked but there's no need as it runs everything fine, but it depends what you're looking for,

AMD

Pros:

Cheaper

Good compatability with ATI

Mobos future proof

Cons:

High end CPUs slower than Intel's

INTEL:

Pros:

Faster high end CPUs

Mobos have more RAM slots

Broadly used brand

Cons:

More expensive

Mobos more expensive

Not sure about mobos being future proof

Both offer good value for money and will have no problems running any title you play. I got my AMD because I know AMD will be releasing hexacores in 2010 and they will be compatible with AM3 mobos and probably AM2+. Also an X3 only costs £80-£90 so would be a great placeholder until you can get a hexacore.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• InvaderGUIInvaderGUI Member Posts: 62

Go AMD all the way.  Get Quadcore if you can. Stay far away from Intel because I have seen way too many recalls from that company.  The only thing I dont like about AMD is that they have backed the worst Video GPU company  ATI. I have seen too many systems catch fire because of an ATI videocard. But then again now that AMD pretty much owns them I am thinking that they will be of way better quality. What ever system you do decide on make sure that your motherboard chipset matches your video card setup. So if you decide on an NViDiA card use the NViDiA chipset on the mother board. And SLI is NViDiA technology and Crossfire is ATI technology.  Your system will work if mixed chipset and video card but you will just get max performance if you match them up. And rite now at Tigerdirect.com you can get the Phenom 2 x4 3.40Ghz Quadcore Black edition or the Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz  Quadcore for only $190.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by InvaderGUI

Go AMD all the way.  Get Quadcore if you can. Stay far away from Intel because I have seen way too many recalls from that company.  The only thing I dont like about AMD is that they have backed the worst Video GPU company  ATI. I have seen too many systems catch fire because of an ATI videocard. But then again now that AMD pretty much owns them I am thinking that they will be of way better quality. What ever system you do decide on make sure that your motherboard chipset matches your video card setup. So if you decide on an NViDiA card use the NViDiA chipset on the mother board. And SLI is NViDiA technology and Crossfire is ATI technology.  Your system will work if mixed chipset and video card but you will just get max performance if you match them up. And rite now at Tigerdirect.com you can get the Phenom 2 x4 3.40Ghz Quadcore Black edition or the Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz  Quadcore for only $190.

When we talk gaming I think more people use Intel than AMD just look at the steam survey store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey This generation AMD can put a competively priced CPU out but no where near the best or best overclockable. Very Ho-Hum.

AMD used to be great and those golden times maybe another year off for their CPU's. Right now if you can afford it I reckon the best price / perform would come from an intel board / CPU with ATI GPU. Even an i5 would beat a Phenom black in most things.

Originally posted by InvaderGUI
    Your system will work if mixed chipset and video card but you will just get max performance if you match them up.

This is the most annoying myth. There's no benchmark or evidence that shows greater compatibility or performance. It's a marketing mechanism to get you to buy 2 Nvidia or AMD products instead of just 1.

Thoughts on this pc ? Its comes with the 770 chipset made for Phenoms so I can upgrade to a Phenom if I needed to in the future. DDR3 memory and 700w psu is pretty nice too along with it being a AM3 socket type.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

• Nov8trNov8tr Member UncommonPosts: 107

I currently run a MSI 785GTM-E45 motherboard with a AMD Phenon II 805 CPU. The cpu is sold as a 2.5gHZ cpu quad core with 4mb of L3 cache. However I run it at 3.2gHZ with zero problems and by selecting a special switch in bios it unlocked another 2mb of L3 cache. So it now has 6mb of L3 cache. I use a ATI 5850 now and love it. Less than 100watts at full power, less then my 8800GT did at idle, lol. I use to run dual nvidia 8800GT's. Oh yeah i run 4gb of 1066 ram. My old 3dMark scores were slightly over 14,000. My score is now 22, 539 on the video card and 24, 879 on my CPU. I am more than happy. I run EVERY game at full max at 1680X1050 on my 22" monitor. I even get 83FPS in Crysis at max, so I'm more than pleased. I paid $95 for the CPU, $75 for the mobo, $50 for the ram and $300 for the video card. So maybe somebody else can do better but I'm plenty happy with my setup. I will say the quad core AMD cpu's overclock very very easy. And some of the 3 core AMD cpu's with the right motherboard will unlock a fourth cpu that is actaully there. Not all do it, but a lot do. Google which ones if your'e interested. Hope that helps.

I'm old not dead. (Nov8tr is pronounced innovator)

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Thoughts on this pc ? Its comes with the 770 chipset made for Phenoms so I can upgrade to a Phenom if I needed to in the future. DDR3 memory and 700w psu is pretty nice too along with it being a AM3 socket type.

I'd recommend getting a Mobo with a 790GX chipset, you have an IGP as backup incase things go bad in the GPU department and it's just a superior chipset.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Originally posted by Agricola1

I'd recommend getting a Mobo with a 790GX chipset, you have an IGP as backup incase things go bad in the GPU department and it's just a superior chipset.

I was thinking that but I can't find a model that uses it so far.

Finally decided and picked me up an Intel I5 from newegg.com. Hopefully I can put this thing to good use!

• SuccubusPimpSuccubusPimp Member Posts: 11

amd phenom ii 965 my fen