Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars PVE Question

shenfreyshenfrey Member UncommonPosts: 114

Just curious because i am thinking about buying the trilogy off of STEAM , i want to know how you get loot. Spcificly some of the better gear, like the epics and legendarys. Does it work like WoW where you do instance runs and kill big mosses and they drop loot or is it some different system?

I am a PvE player and i do solo mainly though will group if need be (maybe once i get better at game), i just like to have things to strive for and loot is the main factor in that : )

Thanks!

Comments

• MattMassacreMattMassacre Member Posts: 182

Gear is different than in most games. You make your own gear at a vendor, but you must buy your own materials and have to pay for the service of them making it. 99% of gear, if not 100% is bound to your character and main proffesion. Weapons are pretty much proffesion based too, but aren't. They're linked to an attribute of certain proffesions. You can get them from vendors, like armor, but they'll suck. The good weapons are all boss drops, with very low drop rates, but they help. The game isn't gear based at all though. It's more about your build. Your build is the... I think 7 or 8 skills that you use when you're outside of a town or outpost, and are not changable outside of that area. Even if your gear sucks, a good build will beat a person with better gear and a bad build, if you use it correctly. It's all about skill in this game. Hope this helped!

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Probably best to have post this in the GW forum, it'll get moved as soon as a mod sees it anyway though.

To answer your question, no it doesn't work like it does in WoW. For one, gear has a minimal effect on your character. It does have an effect, don't get me wrong, but no where near what it does in almost every other mmo. Items do drop off of mobs in the game world. However, your henchmen will have a chance of getting that loot. So if you are out in the world with 3 henchmen you'll get loot (other than money) about once out of every four kills. Certain bosses do drop weapons that are named that are slightly better than normal drops. However, most people just use modded weapons that they can tailor to their character build.

Armor you get crafted at npc crafters at cities, outposts, and at the end of the campaigns.

• SmiterOfFoesSmiterOfFoes Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by shenfrey

Just curious because i am thinking about buying the trilogy off of STEAM , i want to know how you get loot. Spcificly some of the better gear, like the epics and legendarys. Does it work like WoW where you do instance runs and kill big mosses and they drop loot or is it some different system?
    I am a PvE player and i do solo mainly though will group if need be (maybe once i get better at game), i just like to have things to strive for and loot is the main factor in that : )

Thanks!

Guild Wars works on a complete different gear system than wow does. Armor does not drop, it must be crafted(bought with money and materials). All of it is bound on creation, but, you can get your hands on armor that has the max armor rating for your class fairly quickly. You yourself get to choose what extra stats the gear has by putting an inscription and a rune in the armor. Weapons do drop, but can also be crafted in the same fashion as armor, however it is not bound. Once again, max damage weapons start dropping fairly quick in the game. Much like armor, weapons also can be upgraded. To answer your question on how loot works, regular drops go to a random person. If you open a chest, the item drops and is designated to you. After a few minutes, however, the items became free to loot from anyone.

Gear in this game plays a very little role in how good you are. It all comes down to what skills you have and your attributes.

• MattMassacreMattMassacre Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by SmiterOfFoes

Originally posted by shenfrey

Thanks!

Guild Wars works on a complete different gear system than wow does. Armor does not drop, it must be crafted(bought with money and materials). All of it is bound on creation, but, you can get your hands on armor that has the max armor rating for your class fairly quickly. You yourself get to choose what extra stats the gear has by putting an inscription and a rune in the armor. Weapons do drop, but can also be crafted in the same fashion as armor, however it is not bound. Once again, max damage weapons start dropping fairly quick in the game. Much like armor, weapons also can be upgraded. To answer your question on how loot works, regular drops go to a random person. If you open a chest, the item drops and is designated to you. After a few minutes, however, the items became free to loot from anyone.

Gear in this game plays a very little role in how good you are. It all comes down to what skills you have and your attributes.

Thanks for this one. I forgot to mention the inscriptions and runes! 

• SmiterOfFoesSmiterOfFoes Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by MattMassacre

Thanks for this one. I forgot to mention the inscriptions and runes! 

Np, it is for the most part the only variation in armors, so, quite important.

shenfrey, if you do end up getting guild wars, you're welcome to join my guild. We are fairly small on guild wars right now, but we will help you get used to your time on gw.