Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is so different WoW from EQ?

spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

Someone brought up on this on another thread for EQ, as to what was memorable:

1) Orc 1 in east commons and gettin a grp...
2) Tsanne and how how much he terrorized
3) the griffin and just dont go there lol
4) medding at the docks in Oasis and gettin terrorized by a sand giant trained to docks
5) Toll Booth in WC
6) Kizdean Kix in WC or somrthing like that
7) Ulrich Mcmanuss in EK and his little family who were well up for it lol
8) Treeants

Would a player of both find the former more memorable than WoW experiences? I mean there is elements of it's design such as finding a high level mob in a low level area bizarre to a gameplay-centric mmorpg like WoW but is there more to this?

I mean people say Everquest was a world. I look at WoW and also see this as a key part of it's appeal but is what differentiated Everquest possibly that it was more of a hardcore sim to that? Ie. mobs spawning at times relevant to the gameplay day, or the opting of no instances early in it's game design. That high level mob in the low-end zone is relevant too to this theme of thought. The more appropiateness of that stemming from any terrain in real life with diffent animals, would maybe be of more different magnitutes- rather than a consistent one.

But what else made this list 'memorable'...specific camp spots?- that was more particular to EQ since WoW opted away from sit-grinding. (This would mean various places being more remembered, than for example WoW) Another thing on the list a sand giant being trained to the docks. Why was this memorable? Was this much more exciting due to everyone being familiar with it? Or that bunches of people were experiencing the 'trauma' at the same time (making it a mmo social experience)

The kind of question I'm ultimately asking is whether the design elements of Everquest had an appeal seperate from WoW, that could very much be repeated in another mmorpg. The list is maybe more or less asking what made EQ more special to EQ players than say WoW? But also objectively asking do first time WoW players experience the same experience, or was EQ a design that fostered the memorable experiences that only EQ players experienced?

Thoughts?

Comments

• DeienDeien Member Posts: 121

you forgot the spec's that got trained a lot also to docks. Also that forest at night forgot the name of it though all the skellies and zombies.

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

I know a couple of hardcore EQ raiders. The lack of instances meant that apparently the top Guilds could dominate resources on the server. So, the really good ones would camp the spots and mobilize to take down the boss.

Thus, acquiring Epic drops really meant something. You were one of the rare few that had it.

It all sounds like the 1st raiders were selfish as hell if you ask me. Basically just picture the ultimate achiever that only wanted to sit at his computer 24/7 and gangbang bosses for loot. Then dance around town all day showing off their virtual loot.

Thank you EQ for giving achievers so much power

• MagicManICTMagicManICT Member UncommonPosts: 92

Three words:

Paw of Opalla

or in other words: epic spawn camping for a couple mobs to complete one of the rare quests.

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

Castle Mistmoore.

Stand in the right/wrong spot and kill every player in the zone.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

Plane of Fear.

Beware the unknowing of the terror that may be your corpse rotting.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

I can still remember almost all of the zones in EQ up until the LDoN expansion...even what they look like from memory as well as where to go within the zones. Also some mobs in them, best camping spots, etc.

But even after 2 years of WoW (Quit just after BC launch), I can hardly remember any of the zones or mobs, etc.

Originally posted by Deien

you forgot the spec's that got trained a lot also to docks. Also that forest at night forgot the name of it though all the skellies and zombies.

Kithicor Forest =).

• FunballFunball Member Posts: 62

Biggest difference? 

Normal people play WoW.

Originally posted by Funball

Biggest difference? 

Normal people play WoW.

And what is normal? Everyone has a different opinion of what normal is. Very well thought out and mature response btw. Kudos. =/

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245

/shout INC AMBASSADOR D'VINN TO ZONE LINE !!!!!!!!!

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by Funball

Biggest difference? 

Normal people play WoW.

Then you must be playing some alien, twisted pokemon alternate universe game where idiots rule.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Hogger

It's the first elite mob that many players encounter and he has now become legendary.

WoW has elite mobs that spawn on a timer just like EQ.  WoW has non-instaced dungeons with elite mobs and even boss mobs.  It's just that players opt not to camp these.  Or they rarely camp them.

edit: link to Hogger comments on wowhead

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

WoW has good combat and is played by all kinds of people. EQ is played by fat nerds, seriously watch every video in EQ and it's some nerd.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

There's a huge difference between WoW and EQ.

WoW is primarily populated by gamers.

EQ is/was primarily populated by nerds.

I mean that as a descriptor, not an insult; I consider myself a nerd too.

We use terms like "early adopter, veteran, mainstream, hardcore, casual" to fudge the reality of it, but in a nutshell that's what separates the average WoW player from the average EQ player.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

WOW is played by people like Varny.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

A shame that an attempt at a thoughtful and constructive thread is derailed by pointless spats. But hey maybe this is the mmorpg forum now. Just rabid fanbois fighting it out against each other.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by uquipu
     Hogger
    It's the first elite mob that many players encounter and he has now become legendary.
    WoW has elite mobs that spawn on a timer just like EQ.  WoW has non-instaced dungeons with elite mobs and even boss mobs.  It's just that players opt not to camp these.  Or they rarely camp them.
    edit: link to Hogger comments on wowhead

thats a good example of a memorable mob. Although notably that is different game design-wise than say a high level griffin in a low level zone. One game is trying to make a zone more of a level-range and maybe more dangerous in terms of adventuring. The other the named is a prominent and memorable mob-put there as a sort of boss of them all kind of thing.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

WoW picks you up after you fall, brushes the dirt off your back and tells you "You can do it!"

EQ points at you laying face down in the dirt, laughing at your failure and then kicks you in the nads and says "Get up you wuss... Your corpse is getting cold..."

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by fyerwall

WoW picks you up after you fall, brushes the dirt off your back and tells you "You can do it!"
    EQ points at you laying face down in the dirt, laughing at your failure and then kicks you in the nads and says "Get up you wuss... Your corpse is getting cold..."

lol so true.