Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age: PC or PS3

Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

So i recently bought the game but i havent opened it and i heard from a friend the controls suck on the consoles, is this a preference thing or is the game just not meant to be played on a console. I ask because my games still unopened so i would rather play it on my pc if its more comfortable. But this also leads to performance issues,i checked the minimum requirements and my computer is not that much better from it so i don't want the game to look like shit too, so yeh are the controls just a minor annoyance or are they enough for me to play the game on low settings.

Comments

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

The game is really meant for the PC. However, it is perfectly fine on the PS3 or Xbox360, just not quite as good as on the PC.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Yeh i know what you mean but some posts i saw were really ranting it on the controls, i know some games like shooters for some are more comfortable on a PC but there still great on consoles and have no problems.

• AevenathAevenath Member UncommonPosts: 116

Always get RPGs on the PC if you can run them with higher settings than the console versions. Other then that though, aside from mods, the console version is about the same.

• x3r0hx3r0h Member Posts: 186

Honestly, I had no problem with the controls on my PS3 whatsoever. When things got hairy, I always relied on my tactics for each player, and played on morrigan so she could heal. Then, if need be,  I would switch back to a player if he was super low in health and use a health poultice. I would have morrigan to be in ranged stance, while having a tactic that if an ally's health < 75% I would have her heal said ally. So I kept tabs on all the characters that way, and switched back and forth characters for abilities and/or heals. The only annoyance I had was at the pause menu, where I had to use left or right trigger or whatever button to get to inventory or what not, but at that point the game is paused so you wouldn't have much to worry about in terms of game progression. Just a slight annoyance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Your pride, good sir, far exceeds your worth." -x3r0h

Oldest mmorpg.com member with the least amount of post counts. That counts for something, right?

• czedlitzczedlitz Member Posts: 27

Thanks for the info here.. i was planning on getting the game for the PS3 and i was wondering this same thing... i think i will stick to the PS3 anyways. cheers

Ye i'll stick to ps3 aswell, thanks alot for the info guys!

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by x3r0h

Honestly, I had no problem with the controls on my PS3 whatsoever. When things got hairy, I always relied on my tactics for each player, and played on morrigan so she could heal. Then, if need be,  I would switch back to a player if he was super low in health and use a health poultice. I would have morrigan to be in ranged stance, while having a tactic that if an ally's health < 75% I would have her heal said ally. So I kept tabs on all the characters that way, and switched back and forth characters for abilities and/or heals. The only annoyance I had was at the pause menu, where I had to use left or right trigger or whatever button to get to inventory or what not, but at that point the game is paused so you wouldn't have much to worry about in terms of game progression. Just a slight annoyance.

Of course you didn't, mainly because BioWare especially optimized the game for consoles and their gamepads, at the cost of console versions being easier (less enemies in groups, for example) when compared to PC. In any case, I recommend the PC version, the way traditional RPGs are meant to be played in their full glory.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390

Graphics - PC stomps PS3.

Gameplay mechanics - PC stomps PS3.

Content - PC stomps PS3.

You get the picture.

image]image

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Been playing on the PS3 myself, since release. I have had no problems with the controls. I do plan on tradng it in on the PC version, simply for the ability to mod the game and better GFX.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Can PS3 get mods like the PC version have?

Originally posted by Swanea

Can PS3 get mods like the PC version have?

Not player created mods, only official downloadable content.

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Watching the videos on the PS3 PS store, the graphics looked so low quality that I finally purchased the PC version.

Originally posted by BigMango

Watching the videos on the PS3 PS store, the graphics looked so low quality that I finally purchased the PC version.

Yep that's my biggest complaint about the PS3 version, the textures are very muddy in it. It still looks nice but I would prefer it to look a little more crisp.

• fudi84fudi84 Member Posts: 7

I own the Xbox360 version, and it was a big fault...

the PC version is a thousand times better because this game suxx hard with gamepad!!!!!

• BadMedicineBadMedicine Member Posts: 86

It's a great game either way, and you won't be disappointed if you play it on PS3. It's just better in every single way on PC.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

PC = MODS. Nuff said.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289

There's no reason to not buy it for the PC unless your PC can't handle it.

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300
    Originally posted by caalem

There's no reason to not buy it for the PC unless your PC can't handle it.

Also, some people enjoy to lie down on the couch while they play. This can be difficult w/ a keyboard.

Make it so...

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

PC version for sure. Resolution can be set higher. You will be able to play user generated content, etc.  There is a graphics patch that makes the textures look better for the PC as well.

• DarbonxDarbonx Member Posts: 7

Like what everyone else is saying: PC > console. Better resolution/graphics, extra content (DLC and mods), better interface, etc.

• ScyrisScyris Member UncommonPosts: 149

In general any game on the PC will be superior than a console version regardless of what game. Unless the dev's totally fubars the port.. which has ruined more than 1 great console game that came to pc.

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

I specifically waited until the PC version came on sale. Even though Im just under the recommended specs, the game runs perfectly fine.  You get more bang for your buck as the PC version allows for player made mods and add-ons, with the DA:O toolset.

So if you can run it, PC it.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

the PC Version definetly. The PS3 version is getting its DLCs delayed, same might happen with the expansion pack.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

Ah well i have a Intel core2 1.8 Ghz, 2G RAM, Nvidia geforce 9500 GT so with those settings would the graphics look good enough and better than those of a ps3? Looking at the recommended specs i have everything except the processor.

If it helps, i can play mass effect full screen with everything on except texture detail on high instead of ultra high.

• biogermbiogerm Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

Ah well i have a Intel core2 1.8 Ghz, 2G RAM, Nvidia geforce 9500 GT so with those settings would the graphics look good enough and better than those of a ps3? Looking at the recommended specs i have everything except the processor.
    If it helps, i can play mass effect full screen with everything on except texture detail on high instead of ultra high.

well, u prob wont be able to do the same with dragon age, im on e8400 with 4 gigs ram and 9600 gt (1gig ram) and i can play full max but its though my system, i only get get lags during a full scale fight (not me vs 5 mobs, im talking vs 30-40) but even those are at the start and go away after a sec. also for my playing with max setting means that running anything in the background can be messy ( youtube not streaming etc). so imo you wont be able to run it as you run ME, but even with lower settings i think you will get better results then the ps3.

edit: also just download the CC tool from steam or dragon age site, see how your system can handle that ( sure its not enough stress your system on the fight scenes but just see how good everything flow for you)

store.steampowered.com/app/24920/

I 3930k -- Rampage IV Extreme -- G.skill RipjawsZ 32 GB -- Corsair Force Series 3 120gb -- G.skill Phoenix Pro 60gb -- WD 1 TB Black -- Corsair H 100 -- Thermaltake Level 10 Gt Snow Edition -- Corsair AX1200 -- Asus 560 Ti Sli -- Microsoft Sidewinder X4 -- Logitech G5 -- DELL UltraSharp 2007FP -- Samsung Syncmaster Sa700 -- Logitech Z2300 -- Logitech G35 -- Logitech G600 White -- coming soon : Dell U2711.