Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ and a Time Lost

Hi all....

I have hit my 40 s and in real years kids not in lvls...

I work in construction wiv my nephew who is my apprentice and who is 21 and we were talking the other day about our top MMorg buzzes and we were both remembering bak in the day when EQ was the master some of our great times that yer just cant get now....

these include and we  were both wondering were still occurring >

1) Orc 1 in east commons and gettin a grp...

2) Tsanne and how how much he terrorized

3) the griffin and just dont go there lol

4) medding at the docks in Oasis and gettin terrorized by a sand giant trained to docks

5) Toll Booth in WC

6) Kizdean Kix in WC or somrthing like that

7) Ulrich Mcmanuss in EK and his little family who were well up for it lol

8) Treeants

My nephew and i love MMorgs but we both think the day of the MMorg has passed TBH the buzz has gone....he is much yuonger than me and even he knows the WoW clan has won the day but lost the battle.......yu have to be scared to play...there has to be a death penalty.......we are both enjoying the last morcel of fear in Aion in the abyss b4 we pass over to the other side ( go bak to real life ) lol

God bless to yu younger lot and your sinking ship...love yu all )))

Comments

• jotulljotull Member Posts: 256

The Grammar Goggles.....they do nothing

• godseek3rgodseek3r Member Posts: 76

A game is what the community makes of it.

Playing - Champions Online
    Unsure Of - Darkfall, Star Trek Online
    Waiting For - Star Wars: The Old Republic, All Points Bulletin
    Played - Age Of Conan, Everquest II, Mabinogi, Tabula Rasa, Star Wars Galaxies, World Of Warcraft

• thegeezthegeez Member Posts: 28

oi geezer do 1 me ole m8 iam a fukin builder who goes down the boozer  not a geek me ole son so fuk off !!!

• SortisSortis Member UncommonPosts: 193

Yeah i have to agree with a lot of this, the MMO ship is sinking. When EQ was king, nobody complained because it was fun and we didnt need anything else. Sure it had its problems but the community would be active in solving them (the warrior strike) and do more than just cry like a baby about a class being OP on the forums which is much of what we have now. There are more empty threats of shutting down subs on MMO forums now a days than ever. EQ, DAOC, Ultima, and a few others ive missed out there still gimping on their last legs are the true MMOs. 

I agree, you have to make things difficult and challenging. Vanguard tried to bring back the old days when MMOs were actually random and fun but just couldnt deliver in the end. Honestly the only way we might ever get back the Golden Age of MMOs is if someone steps up to the plate, much like Capcom did with the Megaman series and gives us a Golden Age MMO. Forget about everything that we've learned from WoW. WoW is a sinking ship anyway, which is obvious as half the non-chinese pop of WoW runs to what they think might be the next big thing (ex: Age of Conan and Aion). Give us something that stands on its own 2 feet and requires us to work for what we get, make mithril armor a HUGE deal again, as it should be, instead of 10 million people with a god complex running around in a game with shoulders that are on fire or have huge volcanoes in them. How ridiculous.

• OscillateOscillate Member UncommonPosts: 239

Originally posted by thegeez
    Hi all....
    I work in construction wiv my nephew who is my apprentice and who is 21 and we were talking the other day about our top MMorg buzzes and we were both remembering bak in the day when EQ was the master some of our great times that yer just cant get now....
    4) medding at the docks in Oasis and gettin terrorized by a sand giant trained to docks
    5) Toll Booth in WC
    8) Treeants
    My nephew and i love MMorgs but we both think the day of the MMorg has passed TBH the buzz has gone....he is much yuonger than me and even he knows the WoW clan has won the day but lost the battle.......yu have to be scared to play...there has to be a death penalty.......we are both enjoying the last morcel of fear in Aion in the abyss b4 we pass over to the other side ( go bak to real life ) lol

Only closing in on 24 and I feel ya man.

Learning curves aren't hip anymore, and the people who would give them a chance, grew bored or grew tried of the watered down drinks being served.

anyway, hopefully we'll see a game come around in 2010 that has somewhat of a learning curve and enough balance of complexity to be worth playing, while drawing enough players to actually work.

(Akiraosc)

• eolseeolse Member UncommonPosts: 80

Well i been playing eq 10 years and it still a very good game and king of all of them , i think the real problem is poeple go out buy every new mmo on a market and now all i ever hear is poeple whine there not finshed or relseasing in beta.  well why finsh a game if poeple will buy it before its done.....  If you stick with one game one toon i think its alot more rewarding for a mmo and getting the full experance of it. MMo hoppers dont see much of the game and probly get burnt out doing the same thing with a diffrent skin , few new classes or abilitys just twinked diffrent, but all in all there all the same game.

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

Hi all....
    5) Toll Booth in WC
    8) Treeants

Neverquest is still alive.

BTW, tell me about Tumpy Tonics, oldtimer... let's see what you know.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

Are we doing EQ nostalgia?  Ok.

Remember West Karana?  Huge freakin zone.  Trying to explore that zone with one of my early characters was an adventure in itself.  It sat right next to a zone for levels 5-10 (mostly) and at first glance you'd think WK was for 5-10ish.  But then there were those two mountiain giants at level 40 something.  Bandits in the teens.  Scarecrows in the high teens.  The Ogre camp which was probably 30ish.  And those damn werewolves which spawned at night and were probably 30ish as well.

Damn werewolves.  They got me a few times.  On several other occassions I found myself with a werewolf on my tail while I ran for the Qeynos hills zone line, "Holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap I don't think I'm going to make it, holy crap, holy crap..."

In games these days I probably wouldn't even bother running.  I'd just let it kill me as it would be quicker than trying to run away and death penalties are a thing of the past. 

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Natural progression of things:

1. Generation 1 enjoys something.
    2. Times change.  Generation 1 decries the change as Evil.
    3. Meanwhile, Generation 2 is too busy enjoying the new experience to notice or care.
    4. Times change.  Generation 2 decries change as Evil.
    5. Meanwhile, Generation 3...

Personally I feel the trick is to give each new experience a fair shot.  Some are outright bad.  And the rest usually take at least one step backwards -- but while nostalgia-blind veterans focus on that one backwards step I focus on the 2-3 steps forward.

Ironically when MMORPGs were a new thing, I felt it was 5 steps back with only 2 forward.  The same games everyone waxes nostalgic over I consider stumbling first steps.  It was a genre which didn't yet understand how to deliver fun to players.  It was only later that things were improved to the point where it was even worth paying for these games past the first free month.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

The only thing that I liked about ye olde days of eq and uo is equipment didn't matter a whole lot and the community was forced to interact with each other. It didn't break down into 25-40 people cliches. The quality of the code and games themselves are just as bad as ever aside from WoW.

Nothing wrong with modern games. I find many of them very enjoyable and love that they are catering to a wider audience than before. The social gaming of Free Realms is pretty interesting and brings back some of the old feeling. Now, if only there was one with a different style. I can only tolerate the grade school vibe for so long before I feel the need to break things.

The mechanics of the gameplay are much better than they were. Now if they'd just fit in more community aspects to the game that go beyond guilds(leader boards and achievements are not what I'm referring to).

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Hi all....
    5) Toll Booth in WC
    8) Treeants

You and I get this.  The younger crowd, however, may never know.

Here's to hoping they bore of the non-challenging spam fests that are current MMO's and begin to demand more challenge.  Let's also hope that "Everquest Next" or "Coperincus" brings back the magic in MMO's.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

1. Running around in Lesser Faydark and running into Brownies you could barely see and getting melted by their magic..or running into (Why are you even here for your level) Equestrielle the Corrupted, Black Beauty's evil brother, and getting stomped in a few hits. Later, coming back at higher level thinking you will get revenge and finding out otherwise, or BARELY beating him lol.

2.  Kithicor Forest...AT NIGHT!

3. Crushbone ( LOATHED and feared that damn Gnome  (Can't recall name) and Ambassador Dvinn) Whooping on Emperor Crush.

4. Hunting for Quillmane in South Karana to get that dang elusive levitation item!

5.  Upper and Lower Guk trains

6.  Camping Cazic Thule

7.  "Selling bat wings at T2 for 50cp a stack!"

8.  "TRAIN TO ZONE!"

9.  You have died. Now loading....

10. Ding!

11. Crystal Caverns!!! Nothing like the tower gauntlet of death. Don't fall!

12. First time entering The Grey. Start running through and wondering..."Hey, why is my health going down?!?"..."Oh Shi.."............(See #9)

13. Paludal Caverns trains.

Many MANY other great memories I can think of, but too many to list. Yes, I DO hope Everquest Next can bring some of the HUGE open world intrigue, challenge, adventure, rich lore, and need and sense of community interaction back. A lot of this has been lost to fading MMO's more towards the way of console games. Anyone who says that their was no more sense of challenge in EQ compared to today's MMO's IMO are truly delusional. When I can go into most MMO's now as a casual gamer (Fulltime job and school, as well as a 13 year old daughter) and get to top level in a month or so, I don't call that challenging. Nor the endgame content that comes with it.

I'm not saying that today's MMO's are all bad, they are entertaining enough, but just don't have that feel of an MMO, nor take much to achieve anything in them. Sigh....here's to hoping for the best.