Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Me Out Here

RhevinRhevin Member UncommonPosts: 611

After over five years of World of Warcraft I was somehow keylogged. I think it was at work logging onto forums because I found nothing at my home computer. I lost everything. Its in the process of being restored, but after two days its gotten me to thinking. Maybe its time for a fresh start in a new game. Looking for some opinions to fit my description.

Graphics - I'm running a Q6600, 8800GTS, 4 gB RAM, dual monitors, and Win 7. I'd like to be able to use it. I find graphics important, but I'd take gameplay over graphics.

Gameplay - I'd like to have a sense of individuality. Going into town and everyone wearing identical items irks me. Classes is another area I like to see differences among players. For five years I've seen 80 frost mage, 80 prot warrior, 80 holy priest, 80 resto shaman etc with identical builds and gear. A game that didn't have a "cookie cutter build" would be ideal.

PvP - Doesn't really interest me. If it had some, sure. Not looking for a game that was based on PvP

PvE - I enjoy PvE. Instanced is fine. Or real world like Lineage ][ is fine.

Solo Play - I'd enjoy the ability to go off on my own for a couple weeks. Before I was hacked I was on a raid schedule and was committed to a guild. I'l like the freedom of roaming off on my own and not be "tied down". very important aspect for me. I have a busy life and scheduling my time around a game is starting to grind on me.

Crafting and Economy - This is what I'm looking for. A strong economy and a crafting system that involves more than collect x of y hit "make", then seeing 100s of the same items on the auctions or vendors. Lineage ][ had a neat but tedious crafting system and I rather enjoyed it. I'm a finance director for my town and I like money. And I like making money. I'm also good at it. A good crafting system is probably the most important aspect of the game for me.

Previous Games - As you have read, I have been playing World of Warcraft since beta in 2004. Prior to that I played Lineage ][ on a shared account for a little over two years. I also played EVE which was alright but right click, orbit, F1 got kind of boring. Been looking at Darkfall lately and if there is any input you may have from there would be great. Or a game with a trial that I could play for a week or so I'd try out as well.

I typed this out behind an Excel Spreadsheet at 90% transparency so any spelling errors I apologize. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Final Fantasy 14 is around half a year from release with closed beta beginning soon, so you could apply there. It has most of the features you're looking for, most importantly the graphics are excellent, it is a pure PvE game (with some PvP added at a later date, nothing massive though), and crafting has a big role compared to other WoW-style MMO's (crafting professions are classes just like Warlock and Priest are in WoW- you can even finish the game by being a crafter if you want).

Other things to note are that you can solo in the game if you want to, however grouping is more encouraged than it is in WoW- it's not a necessity however. Crafters can also dye the armor they make and attach runes to them to make the equipment differ from the rest.

Also, if you want a new experience instead of a WoW 2.0, 14 offers that, too. You can change your class at any time when not in battle just by changing your weapon type, and you're not limited to just one class per character; you can level every class on one character if you have the time for it. Races also won't matter when it comes to class selection, every race can be every class. The battle system is more strategic and slower compared to WoW's action style approach, so you might find that refreshing (or boring, depending on your preferences). Storyline is also one of 14's strong points, that won't disappoint you for sure. 

finalfantasyxiv.com

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • SylarX1SylarX1 Member Posts: 81

Hey..

I played WOW for 5 years aswell. I want out of it aswell. I made a thread and got some good answers. I played games like lotro, AoC, aion and more - didn't get my attention for real (AoC i made it to farm every content endgame)

I then choose - To wait for SW:TOR (Star Wars - The Old Republic) which will be the next hit, for sure. It has a good background (Star Wars, has MANY fans and knowers) so will get many from that. Same as WoW had, from the Warcraft universe. I'm sure it will be the next hit. And it looks promising.

So I'm playing Star Wars games and some old MMOs for fun untill it comes out.

Take a break from MMOs.

I'm sure you'll get glad and happy for doing that. There's no good MMO in 2009, I tried them all.

now I gotta watch new year speak.. bb!

Currently playing: Fallen Earth

Wants to play: Divergence, Earthrise, Final Fantasy XIV, Star Wars: The Old Republic and The Secret World

Have played these games: Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures, Aion, Cabal Online, EverQuest II, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Hellgate: London, Lord of the Rings Online, Runescape and World of Warcraft

• RhevinRhevin Member UncommonPosts: 611

Thanks for the replies.

The last experience I have with FF is Final Fantasy 1 for NES. So I'll take a gander when I get home. Star Wars...eh...never watched the movies. Have no interest in the game. Star Trek is the same way. Never watched the show/movies and hold no interest in the game.

Been reading up on Fallen Earth though. Going to see if there is a trial or something. Maybe watch a few gameplay videos when I get home. Darkfall has me interested as well, but it seems a little too desolate.

I went home for lunch and my items are still missing on my characters. So who knows where that's going.

Thanks again.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Originally posted by Rhevin

Thanks for the replies.

The last experience I have with FF is Final Fantasy 1 for NES. So I'll take a gander when I get home. Star Wars...eh...never watched the movies. Have no interest in the game. Star Trek is the same way. Never watched the show/movies and hold no interest in the game.

Been reading up on Fallen Earth though. Going to see if there is a trial or something. Maybe watch a few gameplay videos when I get home. Darkfall has me interested as well, but it seems a little too desolate.

I went home for lunch and my items are still missing on my characters. So who knows where that's going.

Thanks again.

What?!

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• RhevinRhevin Member UncommonPosts: 611

Yea, never got interested in the series. Same with Star Trek. My thing was Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 , and Alien Ressurection. Don't get me started on AvP.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

I actually quite MMORPG's about 3 years ago as far as actually paying for them. I've tested every game out, and every game coming out except one that I know of. Ugh, I have a whole HD just for beta clients these days. One things for certain, most of them are crap these days. With the economy being so bumpy companies arent making games which expand the boundaries of the genre so were ending up with tried and true models. I have to admit I rather enjoy a few of them I'm currently testing. 

All Points Bulletin is quite fun to be honest. A bit to pointless but fun if you just want a world to shoot people up in.                    

STO, Im sorry but its just WoW in space for me. The ships are beautiful but the combat is quite annoying due to the combat not being in 3 dimensions. Not being able to turn your ship over.. anyone seen Wrath of Khan?                                                      

Anyways then you got Allods, rather enjoyable but again, another Wow. Graphics were sorta fun and the storyline was good if not a bit long winded. I liked the game in general and ill probably play it after launch.

Then we come to SWTOR.  What can I say, I haven't actually had the chance to test this full hands on yet. I wish I could. The limited testing I saw in person was.. Amazing. Im really impressed with the heros engine software. Just damned near perfect. I dont blame Simutronics for selling there system to Bioware and the likes. Good money in doing that. I still wish I could see Heros Journey finished. I doubt it will though.  SWTOR in and of itself was graphically like being inside a comic novel to me. Close to cell shading in a way but more realistic. Its very sharp. I loved the NPC interactions. The storylines were solid gold. The weapons rocked. Armours about the same. I'll be subbing to SWTOR. No questions asked. I suspect it will hit the 500,000 subscriber mark at some point.

Currently Im playing Wow and Eve. I got back into Wow to help a friend. Nuff said. Eve though is like a long term hobby I started. The sense of community and interaction between the devs and players is simply awesome. I probably wont unsub from Eve ever simply because of all the drama.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I loved the Alien movies also, I'm just surprised to hear someone who pays attention to games, or MMO's, hasn't watched Star Wars. Maybe it's just because I relate the two as being "nerdy", and Star Wars/Trek are like nerd canon.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• AevenathAevenath Member UncommonPosts: 116

Honestly, there aren't many quality MMO's out right now. If I were you I'd wait until later in the year, plenty of new games are coming out.

They include Star Trek Online, Final Fantasy 14, Star Wars: The Old Republic and a few more.

• SylarX1SylarX1 Member Posts: 81

Well.. I'll just jump in this thread for a fast question:

Anyone know release date of SW:TOR? (Or a qualified guess) I was thinking taht it'll be around july 2010 or something, thats when the novel is coming aight?

Currently playing: Fallen Earth

Wants to play: Divergence, Earthrise, Final Fantasy XIV, Star Wars: The Old Republic and The Secret World

Have played these games: Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures, Aion, Cabal Online, EverQuest II, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Hellgate: London, Lord of the Rings Online, Runescape and World of Warcraft