Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: A Twilight MMO: Why the Hate?

Comments

• fritzpudfritzpud Member Posts: 2

Well, to say a few things, maby if the books and movies didn't slaughter the concept of a vampire, or any other "old world demon" as you might call them, and maby if (for the altogether obvious reason) they didn't sparkle, and maby the 200 million or whatever sales at the 2nd movie has to do with the same people doing nothing but going to the movie, and just living in the theatare while they have a nonstop subscription of tickets till easter, and they just sleep to it, eat to it, and worship it like it was god.  the twilight series as books was something i could ignore, if asked i could simply ignore the person asking, the first movie was something i could just ridicule for days on end for the first month, then ignore anyone who claimed to like it, the second movie requires restraining orders to be handed out to people standing within 30 feet of me and talking about it, but a mmo? So first, we look at the fact that its going to be 20 million girls saying OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG repetedly in the chat as they stand next to whatshisfaces npc and, to say the least get off.  the other thing is, the staff will be ridiculed if anyone finds out that a person worked on that, do you think anyone will higher them? next is the fact that 10% of it will be random people getting it just to annoy the staff/gms, spam how bad it is, cause overall mistchif and mayham, and most of all get slaughtered and raped, and in every way violated by the ten million girls who play it in PVP.

sirmoosalot

• fritzpudfritzpud Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by GTwander

Originally posted by mszv

What also interesting is that some people here don't just object to a Twilight MMO, they object to an MMO that would appeal to teens and tween girls, also one that would appeal to more women (of course women play MMORPGs now - I get that).  What's the problem?   I really don't get it.  Different sorts of people becoming gamers -- that's bad?  Does it take away from the fact that you play and enjoy MMOs?   Why is that?

Well it's easy to see how a smash-hit like WoW has affected every other game to release since it got the crown atop it's head... imagine what the market would look like if a "game for tweeny girls" was released, and worse yet, was successful.

I shiver at the idea of having to put up with these "star-crossed romantics" theme over and over again as a norm. Hell, anything more relative to a woman's perspective is dangerous in a man's world - ain't you be knowin'?

See, I think little girls deserve an MMO of their own - but the lateral thinking of the industry is to make "something for everyone", and then you may get games that have themes suited to female players that are trying to get men to play. For God's sake, we need to keep men's and women's taste separate or we'll all end up watching Grey's Anatomy at some point because it's all that's on anymore.

Sometimes men do something because their woman wants them to also... like watching Twilight or Grey's Anatomy >_>. Some of us only deal with it because we have to, and if that permeates our MMOs then we will leave the genre faster than we would our girlfriends if they got fat.

hmm just a note to add to your statement, since this would be 99.9999% little girls, lets just say creepy old man found his new dating hook up site.

sirmoosalot

• mikenet707mikenet707 Member Posts: 65

I would say that casual MMO players are not worthless and looking to be bigger and better then anyone else. Is that what playing an MMO means? I think the time that I spent with my son on those cold winter nights playing WOW or EQ2 or Age of Conan helped us bond and at the same time helped my son learn social class skills,brokering,typing and computer skills,etc. I think that "bigot" comes to mind when someone comes on here and totally insults something/someone they apparently know nothing about.

I will say that the first installment of Twilight I liked but I did not know it was a novel series at the time and one movie was enough for me. I don't really care what the companies put out because it is there money not mine. If I am not interested in it then I will not play. I do think that a Vampire movie should be about selfish blood sucking Vapires who thrive off of humanity. Blood,gore,manipulation.etc etc. I am not saying I agree with it but it seems more in tune with the history of Vampires. Not these newer watered down versions society has brought in today. I am no expert. Just my opinion. So I will say again please no Twilight MMO. Make a game more in tune with the classic Vampire. Happy New year and Peace to all.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by kb4blu

As someone else posted  vampires are evil.  Thay are evil personified, they are not lovers of teenage girls.  Who ever wrote these books should be banned from ever owning any kind of writing device.
    As far as making an MMO out of it... WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING !!!!!
    To me making a MMO out of this would make about as much sense as making a MMO about nazis who set up an aid program for all of the suffering minorities in Germany and the world.
    When we start making vampires out as sparkling people something is wrong.
    Maybe the world should end in 2012.

I think the whole Twilight "vampire loving a younger woman" stems from Bram Stoker's Dracula as he was in love with a woman and much of his efforts were spent in getting her back. so, yadda, yadda, yadda, it sets precedent  and of course is carried one step further.

I have not seen any of the twilight movies but from what I saw of clips in the second one, there are evil vampires. So it would seem that it follows a bit more through the Buffy the Vampire filter in that one vampire "teen" falls for a mortal teen.

In "Interview with a vampire" Louis is the vampire who still retains some sense of his former morality. It actually is an interesting mechanic as it adds a bit of depth to the idea of Vampire in relation to the former self. however, that also sets precedent and suddenly it's ok for vampires to be "good".

The thing is, with every Vampire book, story, or movie something is added and it becomes canon.

That is what I have been trying to say before.

Vampires DID NOT burn in the sun. It wasn't until Nosferatu that suddenly they burned in the sun. Now, we get books, movies where they burn in the sun.

Vampires WERE NOT killed by driving a stake into their hearts. Stakes were used to secure the vampire in the coffin but it did not kill them. It wasn't until The Story "Carmilla" that a vampire was killed with a stake in its heart.

Now, it's canon to have a vampire killed with a stake in its heart.

So with each addition to the vampire tradition something new is added and if it works then it is carried over.

As a funny story, an ex-coworker  has 5 daughters. All of them and his wife asked to go see Twilight when it first came out.

The next day he came in and told us "I thought it was going to be cool. It had vampires... how could it not be cool... And then I found out it wasn't really a vampire movie!"

Poor guy.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AkumaDaimyoAkumaDaimyo Member Posts: 185

The WoD MMO will come out and we will welcome our true Vampire overlords who will crush the Twiglight fans underfoot. God Edward would die a horrible screaming death in WoD. And it wouldn't be some emo tweeny romantic death ethier.

• SavageoneSavageone Member UncommonPosts: 80

Isn't "Twilight" a bunch of  old guys who wanna look hip and do The Matrix moves with "The Young and The Restless" theme?

Not a very good base for a MMO.

• ronsinsaneronsinsane Member Posts: 3

Oh please, a twilight mmo would do about as well as the harry potter video games, and you know what happened to those?

Me either.

Besides not having anything to do with the mmo world, I doubt the "Fanbase" (more like cult) that worships edward cullen would come to actually play a game just because it slapped his name and image on a 3d pale guy.

What makes a successful mmo? Gameplay.

What makes twilight popular? Edward cullen.

Absolutely no correlation between thse things means that even if twilight made an mmo it wouldn't last long enough to support itself, fanservice only takes people so far. 

• RollgunnerRollgunner Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by Rollgunner
    George Lucas : "If you can tune into the fantasy life of an 11 year old girl, you can make a fortune in this business."

That quote actually makes George sound more like he is admitting to wearing little sun dresses, and pigtails and ribbons while having imaginary tea parties with Quacky, Bunbun, and Mr Snugglesworth. Considering how incredibly terrible anything he has produced since The Last Crusade has been, I really feel that is all he has been doing.

I don't know about that.

But it might go a long way towards explaining why the setting for the Second Death Star's location in RotJ was changed from Kashykk, home of the Wookies (in an early script draft) to a forest moon populated by sentient teddy bears.

• RollgunnerRollgunner Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by fritzpud

Well, to say a few things, maby if the books and movies didn't slaughter the concept of a vampire, or any other "old world demon" as you might call them,

You mean like how the WoD slaughtered the concept of the vampire? In virtually every piece of fiction before, they were characterized as charming but soulless killing machines. WoD replaced this concept with the idea that they are (at least initially) tortured souls who face a daily struggle between retaining what humanity they have left or succumbing to the horror of becoming a true 'monster' and enjoying it.

Or how the Underworld Trilogy did the same by depicting vampires as neither inherently good nor evil, rather having a choice between the two like any normal person, but with inhuman desires and abilities?

Every author adds their own 'take' on classic themes. Just because you don't like them does not mean they're any less valid a vision than ones you do enjoy...

• CarpeliaCarpelia Member Posts: 3

I dont think that game will be that good anyways is my view

• ViewDooViewDoo Member Posts: 268
    Originally posted by Stradden

MMORPG.com columnist Justin Webb takes some time to talk about the idea of a Twilight MMO and why he thinks it's not such a bad idea after all.

New Moon (the second movie in the Twilight series) has grossed to date well over 250 million dollars at the box office, and made megastars of its tween-friendly trio of lead actors. A third movie is due in June and the hoopla surrounding the Twilight series shows no signs of slowing down. In fact, the premier of Eclipse (the third movie) will probably be a tinseltown tweengasm visible from space. Regardless of whether you personally like the books or the movies, there can be no doubt that there is a massive market for anything related to the Twilight franchise. The second movie arguably proved that the tween-girl demographic could single-handedly "open" a movie and keep it at #1 for several weeks ... a scary thought indeed given that Hollywood just loves to recycle whatever is hot at the moment. Get ready for the rip-offs!

Read A Twilight MMO: Why the Hate?

No "HATE" from me. Don't get me wrong, I find the Twilight franchise incredibly boring, and insultingly stupid in its conception but no more so than any boyband or tween female pop star. What they do to music, Stephenie Meyer has done to literature namely make it insipid, shallow and headache inducing.

If they do decide to make an MMO out of this, the one bright spot  will be the forums for it here on mmorpg.com. Talk about flames and trolls! The forums would be epic, the game would be shit.

• lm8darklm8dark Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by ViewDoo

No "HATE" from me. Don't get me wrong, I find the Twilight franchise incredibly boring, and insultingly stupid in its conception but no more so than any boyband or tween female pop star. What they do to music, Stephenie Meyer has done to literature namely make it insipid, shallow and headache inducing.
    If they do decide to make an MMO out of this, the one bright spot  will be the forums for it here on mmorpg.com. Talk about flames and trolls! The forums would be epic, the game would be shit.

I think so too.. too boring for my taste. For me it just seems like a chick flick that your girl would need to tie you down in order for you to watch it. If twilight becomes and mmo... well I guess another reason to spend the day outside for me that in front of the monitor.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

I'm ALL for a vampire MMO, just not the Twilight Vampire universe.

This drivel that they call literature just goes to show how far our our species as intellectuals has fallen.

I swear this all started when we got in the way of natural selection.  You want to see where we are headed?  Watch Mike Judge's Idiocracy!

I mean, how did we go from Nosferatu, the black and white silent film from the turn of the century where Vampires were ugly, repulsive, undead fiends to this....rubbish!  Twinkle like F***ing diamonds?  Whatever happened to "went up in a motherf***ing bonfire when the sun hit the B*****d!".

Arrrgggghhhh!  Twilight makes me want to punch puppies and kittens!

• mszvmszv Member Posts: 41

Now, that I've posted in a what I hope is a respectful manner about a twilight game, and about making a game directed to teen and tween girls, here's another take on it.

I hope it happens - not necessarily a twilight MMO, but an MMO whose target market is teen and tween girls.  And I hope it's really, really successful, for serious reasons, and also because....well... it would make me happy to see how upset some current MMORPG gamers would be!  Yeah, I know,that's snide, and I'm not usually like that.  Still -- the thought of all those crazy upset gamers out there, it makes me smile.

Because -- see, it i has nothing to do with you.   If you don't like it you don't have to play it.  You would lose your "I play MMORPGs and you don't" bragging rights, and I'd like that.   Wait, I can see it now --- you'd say that the other game wasn't a "real" MMORPG or MMO.  That's how it always it, isn't it?

Also, there are games directed to younger players, not necessarily teen and tween girls, but Free Realms is targeted to a younger set.  Free Realms is a good game -- I know plenty of adults who enjoy it too.

On there being "girls things" and "boys things" -- well I know both men and women who happily play MMORPGs and MMOs.   I don't follow the demograhics of all games, but, from my personal perspective - Guild Wars seems to attract both men and women, also Second Life.  I'm sure there are others.  Good games don't have to be so polarizing, they can be games all different sorts of people want to play.

The same about sexual orientation.  In my world there are gay and straight people.  I would like to see that represented in more games.   I'd like my fantasy world to be somewhat more representative of the real world in that respect.   In a game where there are stories and relationships, mix it up a bit.  That would be great.

Regards,
    mszv

• donaldduckdonaldduck Member UncommonPosts: 158

Just Say No!

• KiskaraKiskara Member Posts: 47
    It's a pretty bad idea, in my opinion.

The tween market id a fickle one. The whole popularity of Twilight was only orchestrated in hopes to fill the void left by the end of the Harry Potter series. And they've already failed on that (HP appealed to a wide range of people, regardless of gender; whereas Twilight is heavily geared towards girls who've never had a real relationship, and women that devour paranormal romance). And while a MMO based of the series may net big bucks in the beginning, it'll quickly die out the moment the Next Big Thing comes around the corner. Add in that the majority of the Twilight loving crowd isn't big on gaming to begin with (if they were they're probably already playing WoW which is a hard drug to kick, anyway).

Companies are always talking about how they want to open up games to females, but seem to always forget that females already do game. A majority of us just don't make it a point to talk about our gender when we play. Because it shouldn't matter what's between our legs. We just want to blow up ships/kill dragons/save the day like any other gamer. The real problem of getting more females into gaming isn't the games themselves - its the perception behind being a gamer. For most of us old timers, gaming was always a "boy thing" and so to enjoy gamins was some dirty little secret. These days? Being a nerd is cool, girls can brag about their skills with a SMG, or how the dominated in a RvR.

• XTC2XTC2 Member Posts: 30

If one has to explain why Twilight is no less than a significant step towards the fall of western civilization, then you'll never understand.

• JamkullJamkull Member UncommonPosts: 214

Maybe my age is starting to show or maybe I'm too old school. This would only work for those tween girl audience and you have tofigure out just how many that watch the movie plays mmos. Because I watched twilight and honestly I think that the movie didivampires in a very ghay light. Literally... sparkley vampires that walk in daylight? Mmmmmk. Other than that it was ok. I truely hope they make a game designed after underworld before twilight. But that's just my opinion...

• CypryssCypryss Member Posts: 84

If this ever ended up being a mmorpg it would fail harder then EA buying internet fish for $300 million. Well, that's how i foresee it.

• BountytakerBountytaker Member Posts: 323

Originally posted by Zstroyer

Why a Twilight MMORPG would not work?  And why this article is so terrible?
    Because 14 years old girls aren't the driving force behind the video gaming industry.  And because CCP/White Wolf's World of Darkness MMO would stomp it into the ground.  
    C'mon now, what are you smoking?

Yes, but if a Twilight MMO came out, then 14 year old girls might *become* a driving force behind the video game industry...

As a demographic, they have a ridiculously huge amount of disposable income.

I quoted it before, I'll do it again:

George Lucas : "If you can tune into the fantasy life of an 11 year old girl, you can make a fortune in this business."

He was not wrong... and *someone* will be the first to do it in video games.

Lucas' quote actually hurts your argument, as opposed to making it.  Because you aren't actually determining the "fantasy" that the books provide.  You're just taking something tween girls "like" (in this case a series of books) and calling it their generic "fantasy".

Ask yourself:  What's the real "fantasy" the Twilight books capture and provide for young girls (age 11-15)?

Answer:  Male protagonists that act more akin to the developmental level of females at that age as opposed to males.  In other words, male characters that DON'T act like 14 year old boys (immature and emotionally shallow), but DO act like 14 year old girls (intellectually stronger and in touch with deeper emotions).

Now, ask yourself about the normal audience for any mmo?  Is it a bastion of mature or emotionally deep males?  Ahhhh...no!

Basically, an mmo CAN'T tap into the tween girl fantasy life, no matter WHAT the IP is...because the tween girl fantasy is to avoid lesser developed, emotionally closed, aggressive, mmo playing tween boys.

Which is why I said before:  Game companies wasting money trying to attract demographics that CAN'T stick with an mmo is a waste of money.  Like making cars for chimps.  Sure, its an untapped market, and if it works you'd be a visionary, but, really, should we even try to get chimps to drive cars?

• darkb457darkb457 Member CommonPosts: 47

To be honest it all seems like some bad fantasy some schoolgirl came up with to deal with her lack of a boyfriend.I'm not really in a position to scold anyone about it, I pretty much do the same thing, but my point is, it doesn't make good novels.The whole perfect boyfriend, perfect girlfriend, perfect life thing gets boring after the first couple pages. You can't get a good story out of completely flat characters like Edward Collins, if you could, the pavement would be the pinacle of entertainment. I really can't see why anyone would even look at something like that

• Croady4Croady4 Member Posts: 18

Ok lisen here i love twilight yes im a boy i cant help it i enjoy the rivalry between vampires and the la push werewolves.iv read all books seen both movies saw both on  opening nights.But turning it into a mmorpg is a stupid idea...

Live Life With FREEWILL!!!!!
    Live Life With FREEWILL!!!!!

• ZstroyerZstroyer Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Zstroyer

Why a Twilight MMORPG would not work?  And why this article is so terrible?
    Because 14 years old girls aren't the driving force behind the video gaming industry.  And because CCP/White Wolf's World of Darkness MMO would stomp it into the ground.  
    C'mon now, what are you smoking?

Yes, but if a Twilight MMO came out, then 14 year old girls might *become* a driving force behind the video game industry...

As a demographic, they have a ridiculously huge amount of disposable income.

I quoted it before, I'll do it again:

He was not wrong... and *someone* will be the first to do it in video games.

Not at all.  These tweeny girls can pop in a CD of their favorite boy band, have slumber parties and gossip, lust over the most feminine male actor on TV, and read smut-worthy novels about a pedophile vampire - but they aren't going to sit around and play an MMORPG where each of them are battling it out to find a fairy vampire romance with the Twilight boys. 

Additionally, an MMO filled with 14 year old girls looking for deviant love has Chris Hansen written all over it.  It would never make it to concept.  As stated before this is a terrible idea.  The author of this article needs to be investigated for child porn distribution. 

• GT3000GT3000 Member UncommonPosts: 13

Man we got trolled.

Twilight MMO?

8/10, Sir. I raged.

When you've done something right, no one will know you've done anything at all. -Unknown

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633
    Originally posted by GT3000

Man we got trolled.
    Twilight MMO?
    8/10, Sir. I raged.

Nice. Best response of the thread.