Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Closing

GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

Was just wondering, do you think any mmo's will be closing in 2010?

Comments

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

Not sure, did EA release anything in 2009?

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

I wouldnt be surprised if any of the following closed.

Warhammer

Conan

Champions Online

Alganon

Darkfall

None of the games listed above are grabbing much market share, and probably not making much of a profit. EA is notorious for shutting things down when they dont pay out, and the company that currently has the MOST mmo shut downs of all time, so...war might be next,

AoC same thing, great initial holding, game was unfinished mass exodus and as of yet has failed to recapture folks. Funcom is working on other games and may not feel AoC is worth keeping as a financial drain.

CO was just awful, hopefully STO will be better... but Im not holding my breath.

Alganon small dev company that isnt doing so well. You can see they are fairly out of their league. They are however friendly, and trying... so I hope they make it... but wont be surprised if they dont.

Darkfall....this game has such great potential but either the arrogance or incompetence of Aventurine will be its undoing. The massive issues with the latest expansion that was supposed to be its savior followed by weeks of fixing I.E. Undoing... with the 2 servers the population is split, and with the harsh newbie environment you arent going to see many new players stick it out for long.

Unlike EvE and other hardcore games, the distance from new to old and the mechanics that separate them just arent there. Add onto that the massive grind and you are looking at an extensive turn over rate. Couple that with the lack of communication from the dev team and a high attrition rate that is normal for this type of game... then I wouldnt be surprised to se DF die next year.

Originally posted by Pyrostasis

Warhammer
    Conan
    Champions Online
    Alganon
    Darkfall
    None of the games listed above are grabbing much market share, and probably not making much of a profit. EA is notorious for shutting things down when they dont pay out, and the company that currently has the MOST mmo shut downs of all time, so...war might be next,
    AoC same thing, great initial holding, game was unfinished mass exodus and as of yet has failed to recapture folks. Funcom is working on other games and may not feel AoC is worth keeping as a financial drain.
    CO was just awful, hopefully STO will be better... but Im not holding my breath.
    Alganon small dev company that isnt doing so well. You can see they are fairly out of their league. They are however friendly, and trying... so I hope they make it... but wont be surprised if they dont.
    Darkfall....this game has such great potential but either the arrogance or incompetence of Aventurine will be its undoing. The massive issues with the latest expansion that was supposed to be its savior followed by weeks of fixing I.E. Undoing... with the 2 servers the population is split, and with the harsh newbie environment you arent going to see many new players stick it out for long.
    Unlike EvE and other hardcore games, the distance from new to old and the mechanics that separate them just arent there. Add onto that the massive grind and you are looking at an extensive turn over rate. Couple that with the lack of communication from the dev team and a high attrition rate that is normal for this type of game... then I wouldnt be surprised to se DF die next year.

EA owns Warhammer... then yes it will be shut down in 2010. Just ask people who played Hellgate: London.

Wait... doesn't Mythic dev. for Warhammer? *shrugs* then I could give a damn less. Maybe EA will ax both Mythic games and sweep the IP's under the rugs. I wouldn't put it past EA.

• Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by Lansid

Warhammer
    Conan
    Champions Online
    Alganon
    Darkfall

EA owns Warhammer... then yes it will be shut down in 2010. Just ask people who played Hellgate: London.

Wait... doesn't Mythic dev. for Warhammer? *shrugs* then I could give a damn less. Maybe EA will ax both Mythic games and sweep the IP's under the rugs. I wouldn't put it past EA.

EA wasn't involved in the shutdown of Hellgate: London. Flagshit Studios, and Bill Roper, sucked balls and failed. And Bill Roper now commands Champions Online at Cryptic. I expect it will fail very soon.

image]image

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

I suspect WAR wont close just yet. Its just to glitzy even if its a abject failure in my opinion. Alganon mite make it a year before it croaks, so not 2010. Champions... Mite make it 2 years so Id hold off saying its dead yet. The game has potential given the right attention. Like someone else said, I have my doubts with STO because of CO. Conan isnt dead so nah, it wont die. I see a future for AOC. Maybe 3 or 4 years.

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

I don't think Champions Online will be super successful but I do not expect it to close -unless- the studio were to go bankrupt. But I have no reason to expect this being just an innocent consumer (I do not work there or anything)

The only MMOs I ever expect to 'close' is online games made by a stock run company such as NCSoft or Electronic Arts.

So nothing personal to WAR fans. I liked the game but never subbed. But if it doesn't hit the 'numbers' the 'suits' at EA expects then I expect it to close.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

Dark Age of Camelot is also under EA, I hope that game is ok.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Warhammer
    Conan
    Champions Online
    Alganon
    Darkfall

Darkfall isn't going anywhere.  They just moved to a bigger office for the second time and have expanded their development team.  The population of the game is growing and its only one server, not 20.  They know its a niche game and they accomplished their own goals and then some.

Edit: Free trials soon.  People been crying for them for a long time, the developers have listened.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by -Zeno-

Darkfall isn't going anywhere.  They just moved to a bigger office for the second time and have expanded their development team.  The population of the game is growing and its only one server, not 20.  They know its a niche game and they accomplished their own goals and then some.

Darkfall is like the movie Escape from New York. All the undesirables are sent there to kill each other.

image]image

Originally posted by Zorvan01

Originally posted by Lansid

Warhammer
    Conan
    Champions Online
    Alganon
    Darkfall

EA wasn't involved in the shutdown of Hellgate: London. Flagshit Studios, and Bill Roper, sucked balls and failed. And Bill Roper now commands Champions Online at Cryptic. I expect it will fail very soon.

Oh christ, Bill Roper is at the helm of CO? No f'ing wonder.

He's slowly becoming the Uwe Boll of MMORPG's.

• championsFanchampionsFan Member Posts: 419

It is doubtful that Champions Online will close unless Cryptic folds entirely.  It's possible that Champions will change its business model, but it is unlikely for the game to close down entirely.  If Cryptic was not heavily interested in the success of Champions then they would have used a Star Trek game engine to build a superhero game, not the other way around.  They have really dropped the ball on marketing and PR, so much so that if someone says the game is "just awful" then even people who have never played it are unsure whether that person is a troll.

The game has it's flaws, but CO also brings a lot of new ideas to a stale genre.  I wouldn't recommend Champions to everybody, obviously there is the superhero genre issue, and hardcore players may run out of endgame content.  But casual players can get more done in this MMO then they can in most others, both in terms of overall progression being fast and in terms of each session getting you to the action quickly.  Moderately serious RPG players like myself find another appeal in Champions that sets it apart: the open build classless system.   The number and variety of different builds I can make is much larger than in City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, or any other game that uses the trinity which I find stale.  I am already sad that I will have to give up the creativity and satisfaction of an open build system when I play through SW: TOR.   

I'm sorry for the rant, I just am surprised to see people not calling "just awful" for what it is: trolling.  "Just awful" means awfulness with no redeeming qualities.  While you may have found CO to be awful, in terms of technology it is a cutting edge MMO, and it's problems all have more to do with it's newness and lack of polish then with it not having any redeeming features. Lets reserve the term "just awful" for games that are no fun, have no potential and do nothing new.

Also the (paid subscriber) population is way up lately since the free trial and since xmas.  The server population has at least tripled and the zone chats are full of new players like no time since launch.  I think this has to do with CO's core demographic being under 18 (this was true in CoH as well), meaning they get games at xmas and they often need to try before they buy due to limited gaming funds.  There are lots of things in CO which can appeal to mature adults, but the demographic to which I can most confidently recommend the game is teenage males.  

Cryptic is trying a Customer Development approach to MMO creation.

• mcburlymcburly Member Posts: 234

I actually enjoy champions quite a bit. the combat is more fun than any mmo ive played. I am more of a casual mmo gamer so I think that game is more suited for players like me. I would have to disagree about it closing. The population has been pretty healthy recently, and the game hasnt been out for that long so even if there are issues with subs I believe the game is still a little to early in its life span to pull the plug in 2010.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Darkfall is like the movie Escape from New York. All the undesirables are sent there to kill each other.

Zorvan, man thats funny as hell :)

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

Vanguard

Ryzom (again)

Pirates of the Burning Sea

Asheron's Call (I think they'll finally close the doors on my first love.  I hope I'm wrong.)

The Chronicles of Spellborn

Even though i don't play it I hope SOE leaves Vanguard alone.

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641
    Originally posted by championsFan

It is doubtful that Champions Online will close unless Cryptic folds entirely.  It's possible that Champions will change its business model, but it is unlikely for the game to close down entirely.  If Cryptic was not heavily interested in the success of Champions then they would have used a Star Trek game engine to build a superhero game, not the other way around.  They have really dropped the ball on marketing and PR, so much so that if someone says the game is "just awful" then even people who have never played it are unsure whether that person is a troll.
    The game has it's flaws, but CO also brings a lot of new ideas to a stale genre.  I wouldn't recommend Champions to everybody, obviously there is the superhero genre issue, and hardcore players may run out of endgame content.  But casual players can get more done in this MMO then they can in most others, both in terms of overall progression being fast and in terms of each session getting you to the action quickly.  Moderately serious RPG players like myself find another appeal in Champions that sets it apart: the open build classless system.   The number and variety of different builds I can make is much larger than in City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, or any other game that uses the trinity which I find stale.  I am already sad that I will have to give up the creativity and satisfaction of an open build system when I play through SW: TOR.   
    I'm sorry for the rant, I just am surprised to see people not calling "just awful" for what it is: trolling.  "Just awful" means awfulness with no redeeming qualities.  While you may have found CO to be awful, in terms of technology it is a cutting edge MMO, and it's problems all have more to do with it's newness and lack of polish then with it not having any redeeming features. Lets reserve the term "just awful" for games that are no fun, have no potential and do nothing new.
    Also the (paid subscriber) population is way up lately since the free trial and since xmas.  The server population has at least tripled and the zone chats are full of new players like no time since launch.  I think this has to do with CO's core demographic being under 18 (this was true in CoH as well), meaning they get games at xmas and they often need to try before they buy due to limited gaming funds.  There are lots of things in CO which can appeal to mature adults, but the demographic to which I can most confidently recommend the game is teenage males.  

What new idea did Champions bring to the genre?

On snap- I know! 

Could it be these ideas:

* Make Melee players sit in one place and charge an attack for 10 secs giving the NPC plenty of time to run away

* Nerf the crap of all the player base on Launch day pissing off all your fans and game reviewers (more than one game review trashed the Launch Day Hell-nerf patch)

* Make a single player MMO

* Release an MMO with no Playable Villain / opposing side and yet- you still try to include PVP so you have it on your box

* Add a superjump travel power that hurts the crap out of players with every jump cause the lazy programmers made us take falling damage. LOL

* Give PVPers the ability to Teleport away at first sign of danger.

* Release an MMO that gives nearly ziltch XP for mobs. And not release enough Quests and thus forcing your players to farm crappy mobs for XP

* Cap zones to what- just 90 players? Barely more than Guild Wars, a game we can all play for free

It just goes on and on. They added so many original and creative ideas it's no wonder its such a hit and sells for $10 now on Steam

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

umm possibly Warhammer, no way conan will shut down this year, hell doesn't Conan have an expac coming out this year?

Aye, Age of Conan: Rise of the Godslayer.

http://pc.ign.com/objects/142/14276062.html

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Warhammer
    Conan
    Champions Online
    Alganon
    Darkfall

Edit: Free trials soon.  People been crying for them for a long time, the developers have listened.

Dude said 2 servers not 20 so please learn to read. But i do agree i don't see darkfall closing. The devs never really thought they would strike big with the game. 25k subs is not bad for what it is.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Would that such was the case... ^^ But most gankers don't want to fight other gankers or hard core PvP types. They have to have a steady stream of unwilling, inexperienced, lower level victims for their jollies.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

World of Warcraft!

One can dream, right? ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• taramirtaramir Member UncommonPosts: 74

God I hope not. Cause then all the retards might come to the game I play.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Warhammer aint going anywhere. They already have a X-pac in development

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by Elikal

World of Warcraft!
    One can dream, right? ^^

That would only happen in 2012

The DOOM of MMORPGs

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by tro44_1

Warhammer aint going anywhere. They already have a X-pac in development

Do you have any kind of evidence for that statement?

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.