Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cops catch fugitive through World of Warcraft

This was in a local newspaper in Kokomo, Indiana:

With the help of sheriff’s major Steve Rogers, Roberson began gathering information on Hightower through a number of sources. That is how they discovered that their suspect was a World of Warcraft fan.

“We received information that this guy was a regular player of an online game, which was referred to as ‘some warlock and witches’ game,” said Roberson. “None of that information was sound enough to pursue on its own, but putting everything we had together gave me enough evidence to send a subpoena to Blizzard Entertainment. I knew exactly what he was playing — World of Warcraft. I used to play it. It’s one of the largest online games in the world.”

[Kokomoperspective.com]

Comments

• caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289

"Blizzard did more than cooperate. It gave Roberson everything he needed to track down Hightower, including his IP address, his account information and history, his billing address, and even his online screen name and preferred server. From there it was a simple matter to zero in on the suspect’s location."

Uh... isn't it in their EULA that they won't share this personal information with anyone?

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by caalem

"Blizzard did more than cooperate. It gave Roberson everything he needed to track down Hightower, including his IP address, his account information and history, his billing address, and even his online screen name and preferred server. From there it was a simple matter to zero in on the suspect’s location."

Uh... isn't it in their EULA that they won't share this personal information with anyone?

I think if a person has committed a crime or is wanted it is another matter - don't you think?

• caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by Teala

I think if a person has committed a crime or is wanted it is another matter - don't you think?

No it isn't another matter, they have to abide by their EULA.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

I imagine that relates to marketing practices whereas they can be compelled through legal channels to share youri nformation with law enforcement.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• kamikkazekamikkaze Member Posts: 83

maybe cops arent anyone

they r the "law"

if u play wow, u can maybe be arrested...new moto for this guy

LOTRO player

EULA my arse...if the law comes knocking with a court order, they'll give whatever info the law ask for as they should if someone has broken the law and is a fugitive.

• RavenspenRavenspen Member UncommonPosts: 104

"C. Blizzard may, with or without notice to you, disclose your Internet Protocol (IP) address(es), personal information, Chat logs, and other information about you and your activities: (a) in response to a request by law enforcement, a court order or other legal process;"

Doesn't anyone read the EULA anymore

• Havok2allHavok2all Member UncommonPosts: 190

I have no doubt there was a subpoena involved, so WoW honored their EULA obligation and legal responsibility.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Wine, women and drugs were the vices that brought people down.

Now we have to add WOW.

:P

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830

EULA my arse...if the law comes knocking with a court order, they'll give whatever info the law ask for as they should if someone has broken the law and is a fugitive.

I work for an ISP, you would be surprised what exactly a Court Order gets you these days

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Wonder if APB would be as cooperative. Very ironic if they did cooperate with the law.

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

............................................________

....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,

.............................,.-”...................................“-.,

.........................,/...............................................”:,

.....................,?......................................................,

.................../...........................................................,}

................./......................................................,:`^`..}

.............../...................................................,:”........./

..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../

............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../

.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/

..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}

...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../

...,,,___.`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../

............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”

............/.`~,......`-...................................../

.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__

,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,

.....`=~-,__......`,.................................

...................`=~-,,.,...............................

................................`:,,...........................`..............__

.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``

........................................_..........._,-%.......`

• SequenceLostSequenceLost Member UncommonPosts: 202

The only thing that could make this story better would be if the arresting officer, upon taking him down, turned to him and said "Can I have your stuff?"

LOL

Originally posted by Ravenspen

"C. Blizzard may, with or without notice to you, disclose your Internet Protocol (IP) address(es), personal information, Chat logs, and other information about you and your activities: (a) in response to a request by law enforcement, a court order or other legal process;"

Doesn't anyone read the EULA anymore

There you go - from their own EULA.   To the guy that seemed to think Blizzard was violating their own EULA.   LOL!

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

EULA = END USER lisence agreement ... you are the end user blizzard is not an end user they are the creator/maintainer.  And it was pointed out that in their EULA they say that they can disclose your personal information to law enforcement.

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

Oh to see the chatlog of that...

"BRB, RCMP."

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• darkpath19darkpath19 Member Posts: 51

If a company - any company - is issued a court-ordered subpoena, they are required by federal law to surrender any and all personal information requested.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Should have been playing Warhammer, and this wouldnt have happen

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641
    Originally posted by darkpath19

If a company - any company - is issued a court-ordered subpoena, they are required by federal law to surrender any and all personal information requested.

This is true but ISP's have been known to state they purge their records after a certain duration. This is why sometimes even a court order can only get you so far. If there are no records on file there is nothing a court order will get you

This information I only happen to know after researching why FBI has such a hard time getting internet criminals

edit- Granted I speak of ISP, not Blizzard. For clarity

• trturnerjrtrturnerjr Member Posts: 2

There was a topic on Blizzards forums about this story. It had almost 1,000 views and over 40 comments before it was deleted.