Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New PC specs. Any suggestions/modifications before i press the "Purchase" button?

DuClaireDuClaire Member Posts: 82

Am currently using:

Vista Ultimate 64bit

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0ghz x2

XFX 680i SLI motherboard

Coolmaster 620w iGreen PSU

2x 2gb Corsair XMS 2 800mhz PC6400 memory

XFX nVidia 8800GTX

500gb Western Digital 7200rpm HDD

22" HP LCD screen (Supports 1680x1020)

Was looking to upgrade to:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Intel i7 920 OC to 3.6ghz

motherboard unknown atm

700W OCZ ModXStream Pro Modular Power Supply

6gb (3x2) 1600mhz ram (looking at Corsair, OCZ)

XFX nVidia 260 GTX Core 216 Black Edition (Basically an overclocked 260 gtx)

500gb Western Digital 7200rpm HDD

23" HP LCD screen with HD (Supports 1920x1080)

I've been out of the hardware loop for a while now. I play EverQuest 2 at the moment, and some single player stuff like Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2, Dragon Age: Origins. Was also looking to play Vanguard again once i've built it.

For the future, i'll be using this rig for Star Wars The Old Republic, and Final Fantasy XIV.

Any suggestions or tweaks would be great. As for other suggestions, these hardware fits firmly in to my budget.

Thanks in advance!

DuClaire. 

Autofire

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

You'll hardly notice a difference in games.  In fact it will be worse if you use a monitor with a larger native resolution.  The parts you choose aren't much of an upgrade over your old system.

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

There is difference but it ain't worth the money. 

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

the only significant upgrade that you have shown is windows 7 which will improve game play by alot. The rest i doubt you will notice any real difference.

• huntersamhuntersam Member UncommonPosts: 210

i will give a go at this. since you were already using the 64 bit version of vista you would not get the 800mb (I think) from changing 32 to 64 . however going to win7 because its footprint is smaller in memory and chip cycled you gain a benifitt there. why not just buy windows 7 first and see how you go on your current machine . i was thinking of changing mine but decided against it sinc ei got the performance increase i wanted. i brgouht mine for £60 ish

• Gweed0Gweed0 Member UncommonPosts: 108

Yeah you really aren't going to see a huge difference in your game play with those changes. Your current rig is more than enough to play current games and i doubt FF XIV is going to be all that graphically intense. I'd suggest saving your money but would get WIN 7 x64.  If you have the money to burn then just get a 5850 or 5870.

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

Cpu alone is a decent upgrade but gfx is hardly faster at all. 

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

What? No e-peen comments?  Good job guys, and enjoy the pc.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

I don't really see the point in buying a pre-overclocked card for $30 more when you could just step up to the next tier of video cards instead and get a card that's faster than the OC'd card. Well, except that the 275 is prohibitively expensive for the performance. But an OC'd 260 is more expensive than a Radeon 4890 and can't hold a candle to it, plus you could then OC the 4890 on top of that.

• DarbonxDarbonx Member Posts: 7

Your suggested CPU and PSU is overkill. An i5 or Phenom II would be more ideal and generally anything over 650w is only needed if you plan to crossfire/SLI. 500w is enough for 1 GPU. Like everyone said, your current PC is good enough but if you really want to upgrade, here's my suggestion:

CPU: Intel Core i5 750

Mobo: Gigabyte P55-UD3

RAM: G.Skill-Ripjaws 4GB DDR3-1333

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

GPU: 1GB ATI Radeon HD5770 (this over Nvidia because of DX 11 support)

PSU: Silverstone ST50F 500W

or if AMD just substitute:

CPU: AMD AM3 Phenom II X3 720BE

Mobo: Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P

Everything else:

Monitor: 23" Samsung 2333SW+