Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG to play

I'm primarily an FPS gamer, but I'm currently looking to expand into MMORPGs. I've been looking around, but I've been having trouble finding what the current MMORPG's are that people are playing. I checked out a lot of the site before registering and most of what I've found seems to be about upcoming games rather than the current ones. So my question is, which games seem to be the current ones everyone is playing that might be good for an MMORPG noob to start at?

I used to play Guild Wars (And I'm attempting to remember my fricken character name from a year or so ago so I can log in) and enjoyed that. Are people playing that still and would any of the expansions besides the originals be worth purchasing now?

Also I'm not a fan of monthly fees after purchasing a game (then again, I doubt many people are), are there any current ones that do not have monthly fees?

Sorry for the amount of questions, I hope to be playing some MMORPGs in the future!

Comments

• AevenathAevenath Member UncommonPosts: 116

Nothing good right now aside from WoW, LOTRO and EVE. Wait a few(hopefully) months for some good MMOs to come out. 

• Fabled1Fabled1 Member Posts: 44

Try out warhammer theyve got a free endless trial if you like pvp. Im having a blast!

- SWG Refugee (Xenocaw Metteec , SF Server)
    Which FF Character Are You?

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Plenty of people still play Guild Wars. I imagine you can get the rest of the campaigns and the expansion for pretty cheap right now too. If you enjoyed it the first go around I'm sure it would be worth it to get the other campaigns and xpac.

As far as any other MMO to play, well really it depends on your preferences. Most games have a 10 -14 day free trial, doesn't hurt to try them out and see if you like the gameplay. You might try DDO as a free to play mmo, that is what I would recommend if you don't want to spend any money.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by arenasb

Plenty of people still play Guild Wars. I imagine you can get the rest of the campaigns and the expansion for pretty cheap right now too. If you enjoyed it the first go around I'm sure it would be worth it to get the other campaigns and xpac.
    As far as any other MMO to play, well really it depends on your preferences. Most games have a 10 -14 day free trial, doesn't hurt to try them out and see if you like the gameplay. You might try DDO as a free to play mmo, that is what I would recommend if you don't want to spend any money.

I would suggest playing WoW and Darkfall.

Also Warhammer has a cool Free Trial. But go for WoW or Darkfall, or EVE for the Sci-Fi style

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Umm what's the point of that post Tro44? He mentioned Guild Wars in his post, I provided a little info on it. Do you feel the need to go on to your little crusade every time GW is mentioned?

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I'd say hop into an FPSMMO, but that would probably spoil your taste for the genre as none of them are as tight as the average FPS. I guess I would recommend WoW, against all instincts to do so, but it really is the noob friendly game of the century. Just don't get too hung up on the nostalgia when it's time to move on... that's typically the problem with this genre's fanbase.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Darkfall, it's an MMORPG with Fps style combat.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis