Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: CCP in 2010

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com's Garrett Fuller looks at the year ahead for CCP, the developers of EVE Online, Dust 514 and the reported World of Darkness MMO.

Laying quietly in the Icelandic mists, CCP remained one of the major players in MMOs throughout 2009. With EVE Online continuing its growth in the sci-fi sandbox universe the company is now branching out into new projects. World of Darkness and DUST 514 are two exciting games that CCP is working on for the future. The question is will we see either one in 2010?

CCP announced DUST 514 in 2009 and fans of EVE as well as gamers in general got excited about a shooter game set in the EVE universe. The dark and gritty space world of EVE has a lot to offer players and getting out of the ship for a while and gunning down opponents on foot could be a new experience. We don't know a whole lot about the game yet, save for what was revealed at this year's Fan Fest event. For now we know that DUST will have the brutal ground combat and will interface, at least in a limited way with EVE. The vehicles in the game also seem exciting and combining the RTS and FPS genres will give players some fights to remember. 2010 will be a year of announcements for DUST 514 and hopefully we will see a possible release date for the game at some point in the first half of the year.

Read CCP in 2010.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• ArchemorousArchemorous Member Posts: 197

link is broken. it takes me to the home page.

edit-nvm just noticed its not a full article, what you "quoted" is all there is.

• nAAtimusnAAtimus Member Posts: 342

I'm quite intrigued by what CCP could bring to the genre outside of EVE. 

I'm not here to complete my forum PVP dailies.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Dust 514 looks amazing from the trailers, my only complaint about it though, is that it appears its going to be a console only release!  as for the other game, i hadnt really heard anything about it, but a gothic horror mmo.. does have possibilities - just please dont make it twilight online  having said that, CCP are one of the few MMO developers that i have a lot of confidence in, so my guess is that they will only release info on the game as and when they think its ready....  now, all have to do is somehow persuade them to release Dust 514 on Pc too..... i dont want to have to go buy a console just so i can play it

• gruttepiergruttepier Member Posts: 13

world of darkness mmorpg, i had indeed forgotten about it. hopefully ccp can make it an success.

• VormirVormir Member UncommonPosts: 135

CCP delivers!

It's one of the best companies in the MMO universe. I don't recall reading about angry players complaining about something against CCP.

I don't play EVE but its success can't be questioned.

Looking forward WoD since I'm a White Wolf fan. Bring out some trailers CCP, even game art will do :)

Best wishes for you guys in 2010. Keep on rocking.

• dethduckdethduck Member UncommonPosts: 21

Where the hell is Incarna/Ambulation/Walking on Stations/Flavor of the month!  Feels like we've been teased with it for over three years now.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by Phry

.... just please dont make it twilight online

oops. What they haven't told us yet, is that WoD is sliently being converted to Twilight Online. They needed the money to finish station walking.

The great news is that it too will interface with EVE online, allowing tons of tween vampires to populate worlds in which the dark side of that planet never faces the system's star.

EVE players will be on the look-out for planets with random twinkling flecks of lights near the day/night terminator and dispatch DUST teams to eradicate the prissy invaders.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• LanthirLanthir Member UncommonPosts: 222

Dam when i saw the title of the article I was hopping there would indeed be more info on WOD.  :)

Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by Lanthir

Dam when i saw the title of the article I was hopping there would indeed be more info on WOD.  :)

Samewise..anyway CCP is the company that I have the most respect because they love their playerbase.They don`t try to bite into several apples like most MMO companies have been doing during the last 5 years.

Their success = hard work + dedication.

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

This article has fail written all over it.  No speculation of what might be coming in Eve in the near future and just some guesses as to what is coming from their other ventures.  You could google more information that that about CCP intentions.

• TittenTitten Member Posts: 6

is this game going to be similar to star trek online?

Originally posted by Titten

if you mean Eve itself..... er.. just no okay..  as for the others, dust 514 is more a fps mercenary capture the flag/base/planet kind of thing, which will be influential in soveriegnity issues in 0.0 space in Eve itself, WoD however is.. i think.. an RPG more along the lines of cthulhu etc.. though i could be wrong..  Eve is .. definitely not STO.. though i have no doubt that STO will be wishing it was more like Eve

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

you should be ashamed of yourself for typing such heresy.......

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

CCP has my attention more than any other company at this point. World of Darkness Online is the game I'm most interested in finding out any bit of information on. I am hoping that they are at a point in development (if they have been working on it since 2006) that they can announce beta in the second or third quarter of 2010 with a launch in the first or second quarter 2011.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

CCP has my attention more than any other company at this point. World of Darkness Online is the game I'm most interested in finding out any bit of information on. I am hoping that they are at a point in development (if they have been working on it since 2006) that they can announce beta in the second or third quarter of 2010 with a launch in the first or second quarter 2011.

I hope so, personally i have a lot of faith in CCP, i dont think they'd be the type to rush things and fluff it..

• WormholeWormhole Member Posts: 1

I am a bit suprised that there was no mention of the "Walk In" stations in EVE, one of the biggest updates announced for EVE.

• brenthbrenth Member UncommonPosts: 301

there only as big as they are because they have no real competition.

and they wouuld be much bigger if they were  non-pvp friendly  instead of treating 3/4 the potential players like 2nd class  players.

unless your hard core pvp  bot bother with EVE.

even past this,,, while the  screen shots are pretty  the content is bitterly baren

5000 (7500)  systems  but they are procedurally generated  and have no interesting or unique content   and the planets are still borringly  nothing but more scenery.

there are many EVE refugees 

it was hoped that star trek online would be a viable option but  it is not a factor any more.  so dissenfranchised players will have to wait for the next big scifi/ space MMO 

make a world, not a game, we dont want another game.

• LanthirLanthir Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Phry

if you mean Eve itself..... er.. just no okay..  as for the others, dust 514 is more a fps mercenary capture the flag/base/planet kind of thing, which will be influential in soveriegnity issues in 0.0 space in Eve itself, WoD however is.. i think.. an RPG more along the lines of cthulhu etc.. though i could be wrong..  Eve is .. definitely not STO.. though i have no doubt that STO will be wishing it was more like Eve

actually i would guess WOD would be mroe along the lines of Masqurade except in MMO format

Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

World of Darkness is one of the only MMO's that has a remote chance of stealing me away from TOR.  I read somewhere that the game will be 'mature'.

I see CCP doing things very differently from what MMO players are used to.  I hope they do - in a good way.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Originally posted by DeaconX

World of Darkness is one of the only MMO's that has a remote chance of stealing me away from TOR.  I read somewhere that the game will be 'mature'.

I see CCP doing things very differently from what MMO players are used to.  I hope they do - in a good way.

Let's just hope that CCP's definition of Mature is different from Funcom's. Well, I at least hope it is.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

My opinion is that CCP will eventually be a decent developer ,but right now they are still near barely near the middle of the pack.

It is amazing to myself that the CCP has/had a great vision of what they wanted EVE to be,but most think what EVE started out as and is now ,is the best thing since sliced cheese.None of EVE's cheap game was the goal of CCP,they wanted the game that most of us that don't like EVE demand from the game,and one day they probably will reach their goal.

DUST looks to be their first installment for a graphically decent game,we will have to see if the game play meets the graphic standards,after all it is a HUGE task to go from making a literal spreadsheet game to one full of rich animations/graphics and game play.This is like taking CCP from a C rated developer to an A rated developer over night,i don't think they are ready for that step just yet.

As for the MMORPG game WOD,i believe this one another developer's game,so i am not sure how much input CCP will have,this sounded more like a joining of forces to help each other with the marketing of the games and collectibles/books/other avenues.My gut tells me this will be a very quick project,not much money or effort spent on it.This game i believe will only have 3 playable races,Werewolves/Vamps and Mages?When i see only 3 races i think of minimal cheap design,sorry but i have to be realistic.This game i think actually started in 009 since it was only a thought in 2008,so not much more than one year will have gone into this game,if you believe their forecast 2010 release date.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Wizardry

.This game i believe will only have 3 playable races,Werewolves/Vamps and Mages?When i see only 3 races i think of minimal cheap design,sorry but i have to be realistic.

Why does there have to be more than 3 races? If the world doesn't need it why throw it in?

Game can even have two races and be great.

More races does not equal quality.

I'm not sure how accurate this is as I don't know the game well, but thought it seems there are 5 sub races, there are 3 core games of WoD.

The three core games are as follows:

Vampire: The Requiem (released August 21, 2004 alongside The World of Darkness core book)

Werewolf: The Forsaken (released March 14, 2005)

Mage: The Awakening (released August 29, 2005)

So it seems that having 3 races works with the original core games.

It's very likley they could add the other two game races later.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Wizardry

My opinion is that CCP will eventually be a decent developer ,but right now they are still near barely near the middle of the pack.
    It is amazing to myself that the CCP has/had a great vision of what they wanted EVE to be,but most think what EVE started out as and is now ,is the best thing since sliced cheese.None of EVE's cheap game was the goal of CCP,they wanted the game that most of us that don't like EVE demand from the game,and one day they probably will reach their goal.
    DUST looks to be their first installment for a graphically decent game,we will have to see if the game play meets the graphic standards,after all it is a HUGE task to go from making a literal spreadsheet game to one full of rich animations/graphics and game play.This is like taking CCP from a C rated developer to an A rated developer over night,i don't think they are ready for that step just yet.
    As for the MMORPG game WOD,i believe this one another developer's game,so i am not sure how much input CCP will have,this sounded more like a joining of forces to help each other with the marketing of the games and collectibles/books/other avenues.My gut tells me this will be a very quick project,not much money or effort spent on it.This game i believe will only have 3 playable races,Werewolves/Vamps and Mages?When i see only 3 races i think of minimal cheap design,sorry but i have to be realistic.This game i think actually started in 009 since it was only a thought in 2008,so not much more than one year will have gone into this game,if you believe their forecast 2010 release date.

Just to bring you up to speed Wiz they have been working on World of Darkness Online in varying degrees since 2006. This press release about the merger informs us of this. Granted, it does not say to what extent they were working on it, but it does verify that early development had begun at that time 3 years ago.

Over to opinion I'd have to disagree with you that 3 races equals a quick project or cheap design. THe number of races should reflect the setting and having Humans, Vampires and Werewolves works extremely well for a WoD setting. Keeping in mind they could add other White Wolf game races in with expansions. Turbine did rather well with just 3 races (Sho, Gharu'ndim, and Alluvians) and AC wasn't cheap.

As for it helping market books, I'd have to disagree with you there as well. The large portion of the new World of Darkness books are out and have been out for a year or two now. There same for the Vampire, Mage, Werewolf, etc. books. If this MMO was being done to help market those, they missed the opportune time to do such 2 years ago. No, I think this game stands on its own merit and not as a prop up for some other product.

Chavez y Chavez

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

CCP is pure win.

Eve rocks and I have high expectations for WoD and Dust. 

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

I want to reach a point in my life where I am perfectly comfortable spouting the most nonsensical crap with complete disregard for history, fact or reality. I think I'd have a blast.

Cheers to you, Wizardry.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?