Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: A Twilight MMO: Why the Hate?

Comments

• RollgunnerRollgunner Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by Zstroyer

Why a Twilight MMORPG would not work?  And why this article is so terrible?
    Because 14 years old girls aren't the driving force behind the video gaming industry.  And because CCP/White Wolf's World of Darkness MMO would stomp it into the ground.  
    C'mon now, what are you smoking?

Yes, but if a Twilight MMO came out, then 14 year old girls might *become* a driving force behind the video game industry...

As a demographic, they have a ridiculously huge amount of disposable income.

I quoted it before, I'll do it again:

George Lucas : "If you can tune into the fantasy life of an 11 year old girl, you can make a fortune in this business."

He was not wrong... and *someone* will be the first to do it in video games.

• AkumaDaimyoAkumaDaimyo Member Posts: 185

Hopefully the WoD MMO will crush crap like this underfoot. I saw the movie and couldn't stand most of it. Sparkling Vampires and Edwards emoness. God he seemed on the verge of tears all the damn time. Bella thinking she knows anything about love? Pft. Silly tweens thinking they know about life and love. Infatuation is NOT love! But besides that a Twilight MMO is stupid. I mean what are the races again? Vamps, Werewolf and human? Who the hell wants to be human when you could have spiffy powers.

• AkumaDaimyoAkumaDaimyo Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Rollgunner

Because 14 years old girls aren't the driving force behind the video gaming industry.  And because CCP/White Wolf's World of Darkness MMO would stomp it into the ground.  

Yes, but if a Twilight MMO came out, then 14 year old girls might *become* a driving force behind the video game industry...

George Lucas : "If you can tune into the fantasy life of an 11 year old girl, you can make a fortune in this business."

No, they really wont. They don't have disposable income. Their PARENTS do. Any smart parent would not let their childs brain rot on crap like this.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

This is one of those "funny's" right?..............right?

• RollgunnerRollgunner Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by AkumaDaimyo

No, they really wont. They don't have disposable income. Their PARENTS do. Any smart parent would not let their childs brain rot on crap like this.

The Miley Cyrus (Hannah Montana) franchise was estimated at a worth of over a billion dollars at the beginning of 2009.

(by comparison, the *entire* gaming industry: PCs, Consoles and handhelds earned 11 billion in the same time frame)

Yes, parents will, and frequently do let their children have exactly what they want.

• SplosionPTSplosionPT Member Posts: 21

Why the Hate?

Because no one likes the movies except chicks and kids

And no man would play the game even if it was very good (i speak for me)

• AevenathAevenath Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Fusion

Originally posted by Aevenath

A vampire MMO based off of the World of Darkness ruleset with multiple races such as Brujah, Tremere, etc.=Hell yes.
    A vampire MMO with shiny vampires and werewolves=lolno.

Is already in the making, or atleast a developer has been announced for WoD, if you don't believe me, do a google search :)

I'm personally quite exited about playing such if it sees the light of day (or the moonlight of the night)

"Full production of the WoD MMORPG will start March 2009 after the Eve Online expansion is finished according to CCP"

WAT

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by AkumaDaimyo

Yeah, but first, there aren't 'many' smart parents. And the popularity of boy bands from the 1940s crooners  to the Jonas brothers proves that parents, smart or not, have chosen to let their child's brain rot on crap like this for generations.

Let's look at the upside; a very good Twilight mmo may just may pull this annoying demographic away from games which adults enjoy playing. Imagine a world without Tweens mucking up the general chat - that in itself is enough for me to support a game which perfectly caters to these particular adolecents.

• ArchemorousArchemorous Member Posts: 197

This whole topic reminds me of a true story that happened to me once. I was in a bookstore in front of the fantasy section, and these two girls came up and stood next to me and were looking at the shelfs. I overheard them talking and one of them was looking for the Eclipse book, the third in the series. Having eyes and being able to read, I pointed out the book for them (it was on the top shelf). They said thanks and went away. I didnt knew anything about the Twilight thing at the time, I dont think the 'craze'  had settled in yet.

If I went back in time, I probably would've kept my mouth shut. Maybe I could've save those girls from further poisoning their minds with yet another bad piece of literature. Oh well...

• EchobeEchobe Member Posts: 262

A Twilight MMO would be a pedo wonderland. Just like the movies.

• PratzStrikePratzStrike Member Posts: 8

Last thought on the discussion before I put my participation in this to bed. If this is made, it will fail for one reason more than anything else - the sheer weight of the people trolling, harassing, and mocking the 'actual players' in the game. The Goons would do it, Anonymous would do it, and the rest of us who hate the book series and that damn movie would be relentless in our ways to find free trials just to screw with everyone else.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by PratzStrike

Last thought on the discussion before I put my participation in this to bed. If this is made, it will fail for one reason more than anything else - the sheer weight of the people trolling, harassing, and mocking the 'actual players' in the game. The Goons would do it, Anonymous would do it, and the rest of us who hate the book series and that damn movie would be relentless in our ways to find free trials just to screw with everyone else.

I have no doubt that the only people who would be willing to play a twlight mmo, would be middle aged men.. trying to pick up teenaged girls.. who probably arent even playing the game anyway .. and trying to persuade them that their really only 17..

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522
    Originally posted by nevermore82

Originally posted by Tailz2k7

Can we stop the nerd on nerd hate...
    Who cares if they make a Twilight game... good for them i'm sure they will have 100k + people paying to play it mostly GUYS! YEAH I said it.
    Secondly...
    I don't care what game you play, your a loser, a pathetic nerd, whiney little forum troll, wasting valuable moments of your only existance in a virtual fantasy world pretending to be a hero when in actuality your nothing. The sooner you figure out your own level of worthlessness is when you will stop this forum nerd video game hate shit.
    With that said ... Why would a Twilight MMO merit any additional negative feelings as opposed to any game we play... Is Darkfall Hip(er) or WoW more HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!!? Nope they are all equally pathetic and worthless and usless in the advancement of your everyday life.

Anything with the word "Twilight" in it is bound to generate nerd on nerd hate, even more in a mmorpg forum :D

Couldn't agree more with your take on the "hopeless forum wars" that basically just represent a necessity to prove that even in the virtual world "mine is bigger than yours"... or that I'm a bigger idiot than you... anyway, you're missing a point... the original (and only) question of the OP was "Why all the hate?", well people have been explaining why they hate it, or the idea of "it". So in comparison to <insert your game of choice here> they have a feeling of hatred toward a possible Twilight based MMO.

Although it got out of hand, as all flame wars do, there still is a question to be answered... and you didn't even address it. So have you realized your own level of worthlessness? And since you play Aion, have you realized how pathetic that game is?

Not trolling or flaming, just asking if you just preach, or if you really follow your teachings ;)

Oh I fully and entirely understand my own level of worthlessness. Everytime I log onto a MMO for multiple hours I consider how much time i'm wasting yet I have so much fun. The thing is... I also do not spend my "Other" free time knocking IP's like i'm a vague representation in the digital form of some MMO or video game god type character who's opinion smashes all. I did play AION at launch, I no longer play it; as I try most games. I still have the sig because I make graphics and havn't felt like making a new one. Currently I only play League of Legends an RTS F2P game and will try STO.

To respond to the thread main question "Why the hate?" 

Because the people in this community in general dislike every and all games/mmo's/movies/books/magazines/music ever created. They never agree on any game and never stick to any game. THey take turns trashing each others next hopeful MMO's and continue this on going saga of never happy/ never good enough.

Not saying the MMO devs are completely innocent but still... it's hard to believe all of these "Members" believe in MMO's but generally dislike every mmo available on the market.

[Edit]

I'm not done yet...

Who cares if they glisten, shine, smell like roses, shit daisies, make love to young 18 year old girls... Who the flippin crap cares... other than you. You think anyone else is sitting at home Oh noes... you discussed a TWLIGHT MMO!!!!!!!  you bastard!

It's an IP ... why don;t we nit pick LOTRO .... I don't recall in the movies them having to hit monsters in the heads with a sword 230 times because it was Elite therefore having adamantium skin. Nope...  All IP's are fail... all games are fail in their own respective ways.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I expect a player's rock-hard abs to be his sole source of armor, and everyone gets glitter-throwing CC. I would stay far away from such a mess, but hell, it would introduce millions of 9-yr old girls to the MMO market - and that in turn will introduce a million more pedophiles. The genre would be at it's apex.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• ArtymasArtymas Member Posts: 38

i dont want to watch a movie about a vampire that "twinkles", I sure as hell dont want to play a MMO that has the same thing, its GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh one more thing VAMPIRES DONT TWINKLE, THEY BURST INTO FLAMES IN THE SUNLIGHT LOL!!!!!!!!!

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

That quote actually makes George sound more like he is admitting to wearing little sun dresses, and pigtails and ribbons while having imaginary tea parties with Quacky, Bunbun, and Mr Snugglesworth. Considering how incredibly terrible anything he has produced since The Last Crusade has been, I really feel that is all he has been doing.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

I didn't even bother reading the column. What a stupid premise: Why the hate for a Twilight MMO? Are you serious?  Why the hate for a Barney MMO? Why the hate for a Gilmore Girls MMO? Good lord, what is happening to this website's columnists.

• lorechaserlorechaser Member Posts: 124

I probably wouldn't play it, but on the other hand...
    This is the most profound thing George Lucas has ever said :
    "If you can tune into the fantasy life of an 11 year old girl, you can make a fortune in this business."
    I don't think he was wrong...

Y'all do realize that Twilight is to tween girls as Star Wars was to us, right?

Note: I have a wookie sticker on my car.  I still play SWG.  I've nearly gotten the Rebel Alliance symbol tattooed on my shoulder.  I've read Star Wars novels, and understand the different levels of SW Canon.

SW is not epic greatness.  It's f'in awesome fun.  Just like Twilight is not epic greatness, it's f'in romantic fun. 

The Twilight hate comes from people that want to be too cool for it.  Somehow people are offended that Meyers added and removed, and was successful, because she's still alive.  And didn't put a lot of sex in (cf Anne Rice).  I can take or leave Twilight.  I'm reading it, because my wife enjoys it, and wants me to read it.  It's not great, it's not awful.

I played a *lot* of WoD.  I have first edition Vampire books still.  I have the relationship chart from Ashes to Ashes scanned in on my PC.  WoD is, again, about the same thing.  It's about being AWESOME.

Oh, sure.  It's about examining the Darkness within, struggling with the Beast and the Hunger, determining what makes us human.

That's why the Sabbat clanbooks sold so well.  And why everyone played 15th gens, and gave up their discipline dots for more social skills. 

We played WoD to be AWESOME.  To be bloodsucking badasses.  In the process of playing them, we sometimes did dramatic stories and such and examined things, and spent sessions investigating Tremere loyalties and Ventrue power structures.  And then we had a big fight.  But we wanted to be badass vampires (or werewolves, or mages, or wraiths, which was by far the least successful of the series, because you couldn't really be badass) (Malkavians are exempted from this, unless you were a "wOo WoO I'm So CrAzY!1! WooWooOoOWOoO!).  

My issue is that you couldn't make a Twilight MMO and still keep the feel.  You would have to tap in to the particular conflict between vamps and other vamps, and werewolves and vamps.  But that's not what the books were about.  If you were vampires, you'd just be playing a vampire MMO with odd rules.  If you were humans, you'd be...well, bored, I think.

The whole point is that the Cullens, and Edward in particular, are aberrations in their world.  And Edward is in love with Bella.  Making a game about some other vampires would alienate vampire fans (as this thread shows), but not draw in the desired audience (or not keep them at least). 

I just don't see it being a good fit, other than being a popular license.  Even a Facebook app wouldn't work, other than a "Team Edward vs Team Jacob" voting thing....

Who am I?
    @Lorechaser on CoH
    Badjuju, Splinterhoof, Plainsrunner on WoW (Moonrunner)
    Shyy'rissk on SWG (Flurry)
    ClockworkSoldier, HE Pierce, Letnev on Planetside
    Gyshe, Crucible, Terrakal on DDO
    And many more.

Originally posted by Artymas

i dont want to watch a movie about a vampire that "twinkles", I sure as hell dont want to play a MMO that has the same thing, its GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh one more thing VAMPIRES DONT TWINKLE, THEY BURST INTO FLAMES IN THE SUNLIGHT LOL!!!!!!!!!

Amazingly well argued, sir.

I'm honestly surprised it took that long to get "it's gay" thrown in. 

Also, the question was not "Would you play a Twilight MMO" but "Why does the idea of a Twilight MMO offend people so much?"

If the best answer you can give is "It's gay and I don't like how they treat vampires" then the answer is "we're all too wedded to our view of vampires, and don't want to admit anything else could be popular." 

Also because we're totally not gay, cause that's, like, important for people to know.  Don't want anyone thinking we don't like tits, ya know?  Unless we're a girl.  But there are no girls on the internet.  Plus, all girls are inherently gay anyway.  The internet has shown us that, if nothing else.

Who am I?
    @Lorechaser on CoH
    And many more.

Originally posted by Zorgo

Yeah, but first, there aren't 'many' smart parents. And the popularity of boy bands from the 1940s crooners  to the Jonas brothers proves that parents, smart or not, have chosen to let their child's brain rot on crap like this for generations.

YEAH!

Everything that I liked in childhood is awesome!  Everything other people liked in childhood sucks!

I bought f'in Go-Bots toys.  It's not like have any illusions that my childhood fascinations were somehow immune from sucking.  Have you watched Thundercats or Thundarr the Barbarian, or whatever your particular fascination (I very much dated myself there, didn't I?) was lately?

Re: Hannah Montana -> Miley Cyrus.  

I'm fairly sure that has a lot more to do with the juggernaut that is Disney marketing than anything else. 

Who am I?
    @Lorechaser on CoH
    And many more.

You must really like your Twilight to have taken the reigns of battle through multiple posts like that. I think I'm too cool for the setting as much as I am too cool to defend something so fervently... especially crap like Twilight. I mean, some people write books *for* a certain demographic. Twilight is for little girls, Harry Potter is for little boys - both are not for the likes of myself.. and people that swear the theme is universal enough to suit everyone are pretty jaded. That's like me saying "family television" is perfect for my generation, or that everyone should give Grey's Anatomy a try.

~and do not bring up Hannah Montana - you're too old to be watching that - case in point. Only Spongebob is awesome enough to pull off the generation gap, and if anything, it fringes on what Ren and Stimpy did (another show to do it).

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by GTwander

You must really like your Twilight to have taken the reigns of battle through multiple posts like that. I think I'm too cool for the setting as much as I am too cool to defend something so fervently... especially crap like Twilight. I mean, some people write books *for* a certain demographic. Twilight is for little girls, Harry Potter is for little boys - both are not for the likes of myself.. and people that swear the theme is universal enough to suit everyone are pretty jaded. That's like me saying "family television" is perfect for my generation.
    ~and do not bring up Hannah Montana - you're too old to be watching that - case in point. Only Spongebob is awesome enough to pull off the generation gap, and if anything, it fringes on what Ren and Stimpy did (another show to do it).

I agree with a lot of this. I tried to watch Twilight when the first one came out. I knew nothing about it. I read no remarks or anything. After watching the movie I felt I had watched one of the worst movies in my life. I don't really care for the Harry potter series too much either. But they are at the very least well written, grounded in some sort of lore and make good stories. This Twilight author just seems to take something people know, rapes it, then shits on it. It may have been written for little girls. But what really makes the whole thing disgusting to me is all the grown ass women that brood over some androgynous "teenage" boy who has semen crusted hair straight out of Something About Mary.

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

Oh dear god.

• mszvmszv Member Posts: 41

Thanks to a post I learned that there is a lot in the Twilight universe that would lend itself to an MMO world.

From an MMO perspective, if what make the world attractive is the relationships, how do you do that in an MMO?  It can't just be about Bela and her love for the vamphire.

To me, that's a good reason to not do it, that you can't transfer what make Twilight so appealing to an MMO world.  But I'd be happy if someone would try to see if they can get it to work.   I think that it would be great if we had MMOs appeal to more different groups of people, gameplay was expanded, all that.

I don't have to like it and play it, but it would make me very happy if there was an MMO that appealed primarily to teen and tween girls, also more women.   Why should the players here have all the fun?   I also can't see what's worse about the twilight world than all the other fantasy worlds out there.  I happen to like fantasy MMOs myself, but I sure don't feel superior because I like Guild wars or Aion, or LOTRO or Allods Online (want to try that) rather than a Twilight MMO.

As for the "gay" comment, I find that to be so annoying, more than annoying actually.  There are gay people in the world, and that's great. Deal with it.  There are nice people in the world who aren't like you.  Get over yourself.

What also interesting is that some people here don't just object to a Twilight MMO, they object to an MMO that would appeal to teens and tween girls, also one that would appeal to more women (of course women play MMORPGs now - I get that).  What's the problem?   I really don't get it.  Different sorts of people becoming gamers -- that's bad?  Does it take away from the fact that you play and enjoy MMOs?   Why is that?

Regards,
    mszv

Originally posted by mszv

What also interesting is that some people here don't just object to a Twilight MMO, they object to an MMO that would appeal to teens and tween girls, also one that would appeal to more women (of course women play MMORPGs now - I get that).  What's the problem?   I really don't get it.  Different sorts of people becoming gamers -- that's bad?  Does it take away from the fact that you play and enjoy MMOs?   Why is that?

Well it's easy to see how a smash-hit like WoW has affected every other game to release since it got the crown atop it's head... imagine what the market would look like if a "game for tweeny girls" was released, and worse yet, was successful.

I shiver at the idea of having to put up with these "star-crossed romantics" theme over and over again as a norm. Hell, anything more relative to a woman's perspective is dangerous in a man's world - ain't you be knowin'?

See, I think little girls deserve an MMO of their own - but the lateral thinking of the industry is to make "something for everyone", and then you may get games that have themes suited to female players that are trying to get men to play. For God's sake, we need to keep men's and women's taste separate or we'll all end up watching Grey's Anatomy at some point because it's all that's on anymore.

Sometimes men do something because their woman wants them to also... like watching Twilight or Grey's Anatomy >_>. Some of us only deal with it because we have to, and if that permeates our MMOs then we will leave the genre faster than we would our girlfriends if they got fat.