Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fast Paced Gameplay

+Sohma++Sohma+ Member Posts: 3

Hi guys!  You might not want to read the smaller text...

I know a complete background is not necessary but let me share a quick background.  I beta tested Everquest: Online Adventures for PS2 and played it a while after its release.  The only reason I stopped is because I moved and didn't have cable/dsl available in the area.  I then moved on to Lineage 2 a year later because I liked the character styles.  After my guild became inactive I just dropped off the radar.  I don't think I would be interested in playing this again.

A few months ago I picked up Everquest 2 and started playing it.  I did enjoy this because I was able to convince to my giflriend, a buddy fromwork, and an old friend I used to play FPS tournaments with to join.  Another friend had a level 50 guild and he showed us the ropes but I became bored with the gameplay because it seems slow.  My girlfriend in the other hand has brought the "Evercrack" nickname back in fashion.  I tried Age of Conan but also didn't like the gameplay.  Am I being too picky here?  I'm looking for a faster paced mmorpg that can keep my attention.  I admit I'm a FPS nerd only because I play them well.

So my basic request is to suggest a game(s) that is fast paced, has crafting, and housing is a bonus.  I was looking at Rappelz and Dark Age of Camelot.  I'm not sure if I want to play a shooting mmo but suggestions are welcome.  Thank you in advance!

Comments

• HaliaxHaliax Member Posts: 18

Fallen Earth maybe?  I can't vouch for it myself but it seems fast paced.  It is a shooter style RPG with the cross hairs (aiming rectile).  FE doesn't have player housing as far as I know, though.  Best of luck to you in your search!

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052

I highly recommend Darkfall.

* Role-playing, strategy, and shooter action in a MMOG

* The largest handcrafted online world of its kind.

* Over 10 thousand concurrent players per game world.

* The largest MMORPG battles ever - involving thousands.

* Ultimate PvP action, the #1 choice of top players and clans.

* Seamless, zoneless, non-instanced world. No invisible walls.

* No safe zones. Full loot. PvP everywhere with accountability.

* No more leveling. Improve the skills you use.

* Fight on mounts, ships, man cannons and vehicles.

* Siege and conquer cities, build and protect your own. (plus you can have your own house or keep)

* Craft any item in the world and put your name on it.

PM me if you have any more questions.

• +Sohma++Sohma+ Member Posts: 3

Thanks for the suggestions.  I do like the Darkfall list.  I'll look into that one :)

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444
    Originally posted by Ruyn

PM me if you have any more questions

*Role-playing, strategy, and shooter action in a MMOG

* Siege and conquer cities, build and protect your own. (plus you can have your own house or keep)

I play Darkfall and this list makes me neasous with the amount of misleading and exaggerated spin coming off it.

The majority of battles involve no more people than a typical arena FPS game. Ten-thousand concurrent players? There is nowhere near that amount online at any given time. Maybe 10,000 subscriptions. The phrase " Ultimate PvP action, the #1 choice of top players and clans" is meaningless; That's one of the first things my freshman level English did was teach us how to decipher marketing bull. In the context of Darkfall's mechanics "No more leveling. Improve the skills you use." is a contradiction. The majority of players will not get to expereience ship or vehicle combat with the way building them is set up. Its also not possible to craft any item in the world. Most? Yes. All? No.

Darkfall is an okay game, but its very grindy to level skills to be at a level where you can compete. Also you can be a good FPS player, and still get steam-rolled by vets as a newbie because despite the twitch combat, the behind-the-scenes stats and skills numbers effect gameplay so much so that the system favors numbers over twitch. 

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Originally posted by mrcalhou
    Originally posted by Ruyn PM me if you have any more questionsI highly recommend Darkfall.
     *Role-playing, strategy, and shooter action in a MMOG
    I play Darkfall and this list makes me neasous with the amount of misleading and exaggerated spin coming off it.

Besides the "largest MMORPG battles ever" and "the #1 choice of top players and clans" bits, what is exaggerated?

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• hadrius21hadrius21 Member Posts: 2

Everything highlighted in red

Not a hater, but I am pretty sure there arent 10k concurrent players and well there is skill grinding...takes a good bit of time to get in to the real action and the beginner cities are basicaly safe zones because of the towers.  Unless a clan declares war on your clan to kill you without penalty.   Also I havent seen any battles involving thousands of folks.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

The majority of battles involve no more people than a typical arena FPS game. Ten-thousand concurrent players? There is nowhere near that amount online at any given time. Maybe 10,000 subscriptions. The phrase " Ultimate PvP action, the #1 choice of top players and clans" is meaningless; That's one of the first things my freshman level English did was teach us how to decipher marketing bull. In the context of Darkfall's mechanics "No more leveling. Improve the skills you use." is a contradiction. The majority of players will not get to expereience ship or vehicle combat with the way building them is set up. Its also not possible to craft any item in the world. Most? Yes. All? No.

Darkfall is an okay game, but its very grindy to level skills to be at a level where you can compete. Also you can be a good FPS player, and still get steam-rolled by vets as a newbie because despite the twitch combat, the behind-the-scenes stats and skills numbers effect gameplay so much so that the system favors numbers over twitch. 

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

Role-playing is far and few between, outside of the "I slaughter noobs" persona. 
    A few designated plots to build house/towns isn't anything new, and hardly the largest.

There are only two servers and there's no way either one has come even close to that amount of players.

The largest DF battle I've ever heard of involved MAYBE a few hundred, this is one of your largest exaggerations.  The server would die if that many people were fighting in one area.

Purely opinion pawned off as fact.  The fps and hit boxes are subpar at best in shooter terms and the lack of skill caps cause gigantic imbalances in development and players being able to train -every- skill.
    This one is granted, though the "seamless" world is rather empty.

Partially true, but the lack of accountability is misleading.  You can slaughter noobs from opposite factions with no consequence.  Hell, you can kill people from your own faction since being red doesn't really provide any notable negatives.

Simply not true.  Leveling is a staple for RPG's in general.  Your skills progress in "LEVEL" which directly makes your character stronger, ie leveling.  The skill-based leveling is refreshing, but the lack of cap or total trainable skills hardcap make it ridiculous.

The last three are finally truth based without biased and misleading opinion interjected.

You're doing a disservice to the game you enjoy so much by misleading and misrepresenting what the game has to offer.  Not only will people join expecting something completely different than what is to come, the utter lack of objectivity with constructive criticism due to rose-tinted goggles will ensure the game will never progress for the better if everyone is spewing love and sunshine about every aspect.

If you felt EQ2 was slow paced gameplay, you're not going to find anything better about Dark Age of Camelot in that respect.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I think some of you are misunderstanding some of the points.

I've seen very little role-playing, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. There are dedicated RP clans, but I'll admit it is a stretch to tout the RP aspect of the game. Not spin, not misleading. RP just isn't that prevalent, but it's not in most MMOs I've tried.

I'm not sure why Angorim chose to only mention house/city plots. The game world wasn't created using terrain software and calling it a day. It was made by "hand" meaning each area was manually created. You can tell by zooming out on the map. Lots of squares on the mainland. It's like they worked on a little square at a time and stitched it all together.

This isn't saying the servers have 10k people, it's saying they can handle 10k concurrent players per server. And that doesn't mean all in one spot, but spread out across the world.

This one is definitely crap, which I've already admitted. The biggest battle I've seen or even heard about involved maybe a couple hundred and the lag was horrible. I've only been playing for 7 weeks though, so maybe there were bigger ones before my time.

While the PvP is fun, saying it's the #1 choice is crap which I admitted earlier.

True.

True, but the accountability part is lacking.

I'm pretty sure this is marketing speak for no more WoW/EQ-esque leveling. Skills and stats do need to be leveled though. The second part is true.

True.

True.

Not ANY item, but most items.

The majority of players will not get to expereience ship or vehicle combat with the way building them is set up.

But you don't have to build one to experience it.

Originally posted by hadrius21
    and the beginner cities are basicaly safe zones because of the towers. Unless a clan declares war on your clan to kill you without penalty.

So they're not true safe zones, right? A true safe zone would be like EVE's Empire space.

There's definitely market speak and hype in the list. The list was most likely taken straight off of the site, which is trying to sell copies after all.

Back on topic, DFO does meet a lot of the OP's criteria, so it's worth suggesting. The marketing list has already been ripped apart by nearly every poster since, so the OP can take the list for what it is.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• IcegotenIcegoten Member UncommonPosts: 138

Can we stop making this into a DarkFall topic?

You might want to try some more FPS games so you can just jump into the action like Gunz or something.

• +Sohma++Sohma+ Member Posts: 3

Angorim, I think you're right.  I just heard stories about the realm vs realm but the majority of the time may not be like that :).

Also, thanks for clearing up that post on Darkfall lol.  I was about to say that list looked a bit different from the time of its launch.

I was watching Gunz videos on Youtube and it seems pretty fast paced hehe.  I definately want to give that a shot. ;D Thank you Icegoten.

Originally posted by +Sohma+

Angorim, I think you're right.  I just heard stories about the realm vs realm but the majority of the time may not be like that :).
    Also, thanks for clearing up that post on Darkfall lol.  I was about to say that list looked a bit different from the time of its launch.

I was watching Gunz videos on Youtube and it seems pretty fast paced hehe.  I definately want to give that a shot. ;D Thank you Icegoten.

Don't get me wrong, DAoC was one of my favorite MMO's I've played, but I personally didn't like the RvR style due to the slow and clunky combat/movement.  I also didn't want to turn it into a Darkfall bashing thread, but I hate people that spew nothing but sparkling reviews without telling you the facts and some of the negatives before you dive into it.

I wish I could help you further with your search, but I am still looking for a faster-paced game with deep RPG elements.  I'm currently revisiting EvE until either it hooks me or I find said game.

Originally posted by Nizur

I think some of you are misunderstanding some of the points.
    I've seen very little role-playing, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. There are dedicated RP clans, but I'll admit it is a stretch to tout the RP aspect of the game. Not spin, not misleading. RP just isn't that prevalent, but it's not in most MMOs I've tried.
    I'm not sure why Angorim chose to only mention house/city plots. The game world wasn't created using terrain software and calling it a day. It was made by "hand" meaning each area was manually created. You can tell by zooming out on the map. Lots of squares on the mainland. It's like they worked on a little square at a time and stitched it all together.
    This isn't saying the servers have 10k people, it's saying they can handle 10k concurrent players per server. And that doesn't mean all in one spot, but spread out across the world.
    This one is definitely crap, which I've already admitted. The biggest battle I've seen or even heard about involved maybe a couple hundred and the lag was horrible. I've only been playing for 7 weeks though, so maybe there were bigger ones before my time.
    While the PvP is fun, saying it's the #1 choice is crap which I admitted earlier.
    True.
    True, but the accountability part is lacking.
    I'm pretty sure this is marketing speak for no more WoW/EQ-esque leveling. Skills and stats do need to be leveled though. The second part is true.
    True.
    True.
    Not ANY item, but most items.

The majority of players will not get to expereience ship or vehicle combat with the way building them is set up.

But you don't have to build one to experience it.

Originally posted by hadrius21

and the beginner cities are basicaly safe zones because of the towers. Unless a clan declares war on your clan to kill you without penalty.

So they're not true safe zones, right? A true safe zone would be like EVE's Empire space.

There's definitely market speak and hype in the list. The list was most likely taken straight off of the site, which is trying to sell copies after all.

Back on topic, DFO does meet a lot of the OP's criteria, so it's worth suggesting. The marketing list has already been ripped apart by nearly every poster since, so the OP can take the list for what it is.

I took his comment about the largest hand crafted world as reference to the ability to build cities/houses of your choosing.  It's a nice feature but nothing revolutionary despite being unfortunately absent in a lot of games.  If he was talking about the world itself and how it was constructed by Aventurine... obviously it was hand crafted; what game isn't?  It's hardly the largest.

I agree it's worth mentioning, but the original list that I disected as well was utterly misleading.  I applaud the game for taking a "new" (see "oldschool") direction with the game style but it has it's fair share of issues.  No matter what game I recommend to someone, it's based on certain criteria for what they are searching for and I always include the possible negative sides to the game.

On a side note, Empire space in EvE is not "safe-space" but a "law enforced" one.  Criminals are punished for attacking without cause and are prevented from entering with certain levels of negative security level.  Just like a tower defense in Darkfall only Concord will arrive and destroy whoever is causing mischief, guarenteed.  Plus there's a penalty to your said security for unwarranted attacks in Empire, which leads to the sorely lacking accountability in Darkfall and noob slaughtering.