Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Top Five Lists of 2009

Comments

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by Bael13

How the Hell is Guildwars not a MMIO are you people retards or what?
    A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMOG) is a video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet, and feature at least one persistent world.
    MMO Massively Multiplayer Online Game
    Massively - Check
    Multiplayer - Check
    Online - Check
    Game - Check
    So tired of these WoW fanboi's that have never played Guildwars saying its not a MMO >.<

Yes,,,,, ANET are WoW fanboys that never played Guild Wars

/rolleyes

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Comnitus

Just be glad he didn't make a "Best MMOs of All Time" list. The crying, complaining, disagreement, and "WHY ISN'T MY GAME ON THERE!?" would go on for dozens of pages.

LOL!... You just gave them an idea for an article... They WANT threads that go on for dozens and dozens of pages...

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

Why is this site obsessed with "alternate payment methods?" 

Short list of people who think that it's the best idea ever:

1. Bobby Kotick

2. Bill Roper

3. People who run a site based on selling adds based on said "idea."

4. Bobby Kotick (He really loves it.)

5. The stock holders.

6. William H. Vanderbilt

7. Charles Ponzi

8. Kotick, again.

9. Any CEO.

10. Skynet

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880
    Originally posted by ConjureOne

Generaly, I like Jon's articles, but this one is sh*t, mainly because I highly suspect that the games in the list were not actually "listed", but got there by who ever payed more...
    And seriously, WoW #1 game of 2012? :)
    I would bet 100$ anyday on Star Wars killing the large behemoth, which is WoW.

odds are it won't think about it for a bit unless your hate for blizzard is just that great that logic has no meaning for you.

Originally posted by Frostbite05

Originally posted by ConjureOne

Generaly, I like Jon's articles, but this one is sh*t, mainly because I highly suspect that the games in the list were not actually "listed", but got there by who ever payed more...
    And seriously, WoW #1 game of 2012? :)
    I would bet 100$ anyday on Star Wars killing the large behemoth, which is WoW.

odds are it won't think about it for a bit unless your hate for blizzard is just that great that logic has no meaning for you.

Anyone who thinks that anyone but Blizzard is a real threat to WoW, is either so far gone in hatred delusion that they have lost all grasp of reality, or they work for some game companies marketing department, and have drank WAY too much kool aid...

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055
    Originally posted by Irishoak

1. Bobby Kotick
    2. Bill Roper
    5. The stock holders.
    6. William H. Vanderbilt
    7. Charles Ponzi
    8. Kotick, again.
    9. Any CEO.
    10. Skynet

You forgot Smedley/SoE.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

1. Bobby Kotick
    2. Bill Roper
    5. The stock holders.
    6. William H. Vanderbilt
    7. Charles Ponzi
    8. Kotick, again.
    9. Any CEO.
    10. Skynet

You forgot Smedley/SoE.

He's just out to crush souls, he feeds off of tears and kittens. The money is a sidebar...

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Are you? Guild Wars is not an MMO, it's a CORPG (Competitive Online Role Playing Game), ArenaNet has backed this up.

Originally posted by Omali

Are you? Guild Wars is not an MMO, it's a CORPG (Competitive Online Role Playing Game), ArenaNet has backed this up.

This discussion is pointless. The Powers That Be at MMORPG.com have decreed that Guild Wars is an MMO, thus on this site it IS an MMO...

Originally posted by Wraithone

This discussion is pointless. The Powers That Be at MMORPG.com have decreed that Guild Wars is an MMO, thus on this site it IS an MMO...

Brought to you by: Dragon Age!

• kamikkazekamikkaze Member Posts: 83

lis of games of 2012....seriuosly? WoW? whatever it is have millions of players, but theres no expansion that would save this game or at least put it in the this list...

hum...maybe blizzard come up with WoW 2 or similiar....who can say...

i bet half of them will be on that list, if not less, in 2012

LOTRO player

Exactly.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

1. Sure , Guild Wars is a CORPG but it is the best games since WoW has been released. If it wasn't for Turbine having a popular  ip noone would care about LOTRO.

2. WoW still being healthy in 2012 is really pushing it. Sure Cataclysm will try to keep WoW healthy but there will be so many better games than WoW such as Guild Wars 2, FFXIV and The Old Republic. WoW won't die but by no means will it still be #1 by 2012.

• dirk45dirk45 Member Posts: 5

I still wonder how LotRO made it to the top of MMOs since WoW while being absent on the 2012 list. But you're probably wrong on both. While LotRO is a great game and has a lot of merits I'd give the top spot on this list to Aion (even if I play and love LotRO since Beta and hate PvP) simply because Aion is more influencing to the Genre.

But in 2012 LotRO will probably be more influencing than Aion in the western hemisphere due to two reasons:

1. There will still be tons of bots in Aion

2. Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit" will be one of the top films of the year.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Direct from the Guild Wars FAQ found here:

www.guildwars.com/products/guildwars/features/default.php

Is Guild Wars an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)?

Guild Wars has some similarities to existing MMORPGs, but it also has some key differences. Like existing MMOs, Guild Wars is played entirely online in a secure hosted environment. Thousands of players inhabit the same virtual world. Players can meet new friends in gathering places like towns and outposts where they form parties and go questing with them. Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where the quest takes place. This design eliminates some of the frustrating gameplay elements commonly associated with MMOs, such as spawn camping, loot stealing, and standing in a queue in order to complete a quest.

Guild Wars takes place in a large virtual world made up of many different zones, and players can walk from one end of the world to the other. In Guild Wars much of the tedium of traveling through the world has been eliminated. Players can instantly return to any safe area (town or outpost) that they have previously visited just by clicking on it in the world overview map.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience.Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one's guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-vs-guild warfare or the international tournament. Engaging in combat is always the player's choice, however; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

Players in Guild Wars can play with or against players from around the world in the global tournaments and arenas. And while players are initially placed in a region based on their selected language (so that there is a greater likelihood that others will be speaking their language) they can join up in the always-available International District to form parties and to play with anyone from anywhere in the world.

As you can see directly from the FAQ they say themselves that GW is not a MMORPG so there is no need to argue the matter.

Originally posted by tro44_1

Guild Wars has some similarities to existing MMORPGs, but it also has some key differences. Like existing MMOs, Guild Wars is played entirely online in a secure hosted environment. Thousands of players inhabit the same virtual world. Players can meet new friends in gathering places like towns and outposts where they form parties and go questing with them. Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where the quest takes place. This design eliminates some of the frustrating gameplay elements commonly associated with MMOs, such as spawn camping, loot stealing, and standing in a queue in order to complete a quest.

Guild Wars takes place in a large virtual world made up of many different zones, and players can walk from one end of the world to the other. In Guild Wars much of the tedium of traveling through the world has been eliminated. Players can instantly return to any safe area (town or outpost) that they have previously visited just by clicking on it in the world overview map.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience.Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one's guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-vs-guild warfare or the international tournament. Engaging in combat is always the player's choice, however; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

Players in Guild Wars can play with or against players from around the world in the global tournaments and arenas. And while players are initially placed in a region based on their selected language (so that there is a greater likelihood that others will be speaking their language) they can join up in the always-available International District to form parties and to play with anyone from anywhere in the world.

As you can see directly from the FAQ they say themselves that GW is not a MMORPG so there is no need to argue the matter.

While interesting, that is quite irrelevant. One because as I stated, the definition has been decreed for this site, and two I didn't say MMORPG. I clearly stated MMO.

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770

Originally posted by tro44_1

While interesting, that is quite irrelevant. One because as I stated, the definition has been decreed for this site, and two I didn't say MMORPG. I clearly stated MMO.

"Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game)."

Actually, they state that they prefer to not label it a MMORPG, and refer to it as a CORPG. Sorry, but no where does it have them stating the game is NOT an MMORPG.

By it's very definition, Guild Wars is an MMO.

I really can't see how anyone could stretch it to mean otherwise. Also, if one is willing to accept the preffered label of CORPG, then they also have to accept the MMORPG label as well.

Dang, I just realized this has turned into a massive de-rail of the OP. My apologies. 

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

• mahucutahmahucutah Member Posts: 1

The breakdown of the Top Ten MMOs Since WoW????

where in that line is EQII???? and i'm not talking about how many ppl play wow... but the quality ofthe game...and everyone knows that EQII kicks wow ass...

• ravenmystravenmyst Member UncommonPosts: 55

EQ 2 isnt listed on the "Since WoW launched" list because it launched a couple weeks before WoW did therefore excluding it from the list.  As for those who claim that GW is not an MMO please show me where the definition of MMO was changed and I'll agree with you.  Last I looked MMO meant "massively multiplayer online" under which GW most certainly does fall.  As per the original topic of this thread I have to say that it was quite a nice list of lists and I enjoyed reading over it.  Definately fitting for a retrospective look at the various lists that have been done this year.

Space available for rent.

Originally posted by mahucutah

The breakdown of the Top Ten MMOs Since WoW????
    where in that line is EQII???? and i'm not talking about how many ppl play wow... but the quality ofthe game...and everyone knows that EQII kicks wow ass...

Sure it does... Thats why SOE would be OVERJOYED if it had even 1/10 the number of subscribers that WoW has... Having played both games(starting in late beta with WoW and launch in EQ2 and then back again to EQ2 last year) I have to say that WoW is the far superior game in many regards. Fun being one of those factors.

• quiarrahquiarrah Member Posts: 9

How in the heck did LoTR and Guild Wars make the list and not EQII?? 

I know alot of people have a mental block when it comes to SOE qand EQ but they deserve to be on the list more than GW and LOTR.

Who's writting these anyway??

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770
    Originally posted by quiarrah

I know alot of people have a mental block when it comes to SOE qand EQ but they deserve to be on the list more than GW and LOTR.

Because it is an opinion piece, and in the OPs opinion, it didn't make his cut?

Basically works the same as you saying EQ2 deserves to be on the list more than <insert whatever game title here>.

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

• Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390

Exactly.

Don't forget they called Hellgate: London an MMO also.

image]image

• ravenmystravenmyst Member UncommonPosts: 55

How many of you actually read the title of the list before complaining that your EQII didn't make the list?  So far I'm guessing not many.  Let's take a look:

List title :Top 10 MMOs since World of Warcraft - This means that the game had to launch after WoW was launched.  This means if the game launched before WoW you guessed it,  it won't be on the list.

Now let's Take a look at launch dates: EQII launched 11/08/2004 now lets look at WoW's launch date: 11/23/2004

Now EQII launched BEFORE WoW and therefore it's not on the list.

Space available for rent.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by ravenmyst

How many of you actually read the title of the list before complaining that your EQII didn't make the list?  So far I'm guessing not many.  Let's take a look:

List title :Top 10 MMOs since World of Warcraft - This means that the game had to launch after WoW was launched.  This means if the game launched before WoW you guessed it,  it won't be on the list.

Now let's Take a look at launch dates: EQII launched 11/08/2004 now lets look at WoW's launch date: 11/23/2004

Now EQII launched BEFORE WoW and therefore it's not on the list.

Trying to explain this kind of logic to some of these readers is like putting them in a circular room and asking them to pee in a corner.  Like watching grass grow.