Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plain weird, mindfuck games

2»

Comments

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776
    Originally posted by soap46

Originally posted by zeowyrm

you want a mindfuck?  Hunt down a copy of Eternal Darkness for the gamecube.

^^^ This.  I damn near shit myself when it told me my save file was corrupted.  It will mess with your head, man.

You mean it does something like in Arkham Asylum when the screen freezes and it reverts back to the opening cinematic? A buddy of mine restarted he game twice and then turned it off. He was really pissed then really embarrassed when I told him to just play through it.

There is some kind of Alice in wonderland game out there where you are walking through the wood and the cheshire cat is stalking you to eat you alive ... I am not sure what it is called but it is a PC game that you download for like $10-$15. I read it on joystiq a few months back and just never got around to trying it. If anyone know what I talking about then please lemme know too.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by ic0n67

There is some kind of Alice in wonderland game out there where you are walking through the wood and the cheshire cat is stalking you to eat you alive ... I am not sure what it is called but it is a PC game that you download for like $10-$15. I read it on joystiq a few months back and just never got around to trying it. If anyone know what I talking about then please lemme know too.

American McGee's 'Alice in Wonderland'

It's on the first page posted by LynxJSA

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

While it's not quite a twilight zone or cthulu type experience, Bioshock is a nice creepy, twisty thrill...

Edit:  Oops... already mentioned and you already responded.  Good luck!

Originally posted by bloodaxes

Originally posted by ic0n67

American McGee's 'Alice in Wonderland'

It's on the first page posted by LynxJSA

Not that one ... btw ... that is one hard fucking game

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Personally saw some few youtube videos of the path didn't see anything freaky but I'll try a demo if there's one before making my final judgment.

I think it's more about atmosphere and the unknown. Based on the two quotes I included, it makes me wonder "what else" there is. That is why I think I'm going to try it.

Too many previews for games or movies include too much. There is nothing left to the imagination.

Things like the void or The Path make me wonder what I might discover. In any case I am going to give it a try.

Also, and it's not a "mind fuck" game but still a good game, I will give a shout out for Machinarium. These are iny developers who made a great puzzle game. Saw them at Pax and played the demo. it's worth checking out.

http://machinarium.net/demo/

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

EUREKA!!!!

I know why I could find it ... it wasn't Alice stalked by the the Cheshire Cat ... It was Little Red Riding Hood stalked by the Big Bad Wolf

The game I'm thinking of is called The Path and is apparently on Steam for $9.99

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/11/the-path-creeps-us-out-with-launch-trailer/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/27000/

I have to remind myself when I get home to download it.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Personally saw some few youtube videos of the path didn't see anything freaky but I'll try a demo if there's one before making my final judgment.

I think it's more about atmosphere and the unknown. Based on the two quotes I included, it makes me wonder "what else" there is. That is why I think I'm going to try it.

Too many previews for games or movies include too much. There is nothing left to the imagination.

Things like the void or The Path make me wonder what I might discover. In any case I am going to give it a try.

Also, and it's not a "mind fuck" game but still a good game, I will give a shout out for Machinarium. These are iny developers who made a great puzzle game. Saw them at Pax and played the demo. it's worth checking out.

But the path has almost all animations that might make a game "scary" hidden.

I saw some comments on youtube from people that tried it and some comments like you go talk to some man in the path he offers you a smoke he agreed and poof dead or ass raped dunno since you don't see what happens.

Probably a good game to frustrate you but I dunno if it can be THAT scary. Something maybe like the boogeyman while no animations of horror appear you get like some sense of fear until you see his real face and say wtf such a lame face but that's because it didn't have best "graphics" probably.

Originally posted by Sovrath

But the path has almost all animations that might make a game "scary" hidden.

I saw some comments on youtube from people that tried it and some comments like you go talk to some man in the path he offers you a smoke he agreed and poof dead or ass raped dunno since you don't see what happens.

Probably a good game to frustrate you but I dunno if it can be THAT scary. Something maybe like the boogeyman while no animations of horror appear you get like some sense of fear until you see his real face and say wtf such a lame face but that's because it didn't have best "graphics" probably.

again, I think it's all about atmosphere.

I don't believe that it is required to show something graphic in order for it to be scary.

and again, it depends on where you are in the story. What does happen if you reach grandma's house?

As far as speaking to a man on the path and then suddenly dying, well:

Little girls, this seems to say,

Never stop upon your way.

Never trust a stranger-friend;

No one knows how it will end.

As you’re pretty, so be wise;

Wolves may lurk in every guise.

Handsome they may be, and kind,

Gay, or charming never mind!

Now, as then, ‘tis simple truth—

Sweetest tongue has sharpest tooth!

It is more than possible that there are some lessons to be learned by not speaking to everyone or taking any offers. I don't really believe that they need to show your death as you can easily imagine what just happened.

Still, what is shown at grandma's house?

I think a game like the path is more suited to those who palpably feel atmoshere and have patience and a bit of imagination. To the point and of course related, in the story "Little Red Riding Hood" you don't get a blow by blow descrtiption as it is left to the reader to provide his/her own idea of how this plays out:

“Grandmother dear!” she exclaimed, “what big arms you have!”

“The better to embrace you, my child!”

“Grandmother dear, what big legs you have!”

“The better to run with, my child!”

“Grandmother dear, what big ears you have!”

“The better to hear with, my child!”

“Grandmother dear, what big eyes you have!”

“The better to see with, my child!”

“Grandmother dear, what big teeth you have!”

“The better to eat you with!”

With these words the wicked Wolf leaped upon Little Red

Riding Hood and gobbled her up.

I would go as far as to say that showing the scary is less fun than anticipating the scary. Jaws showed this to be true and thankfully they had problems with the robot shark as it spent less time on the screen and more time in our imaginations.

Let's take the 1999 remake of "The Haunting". When in the theater the audience was far more disturbed at a scene that had no real special effects. It was a scene in a bedroom The character hears noices, the audience is shifting uncomfortably in their seats and parts of the room are being shown. At one point quick shot of a line of carved cherubs looking one way flashed across the screen.

No biggie.

The noise gets louder, our character is getting more upset, the audience is practically on the edge of their seats. Suddenly we get another shot of those cherubs.

and they are all looking at her.

The audience nearly lost it.

Now cut to the end and the cgi effects kick in, the spirit of the house is restless and what should be a terrifying scene is completely lost. The audience just sits passively in their seats wating for the end to come.

And just to add, room 1408 suffered from the same thing. Scary movie. Up until "the scary" was coming to fruition, some special effects and the audience is let down once again.

One of THE scariest things I've ever seen was in "Ghost Story" when at the end our main character is stuck in the basement of a haunted house, leg broken, and suddenly you see the bottom of the ghost's dress and the shoes make their way down the hallway, and then down the stairs as our protagonist watches in horror as they descend toward him.

Never once do we see above that while all the time we see his expression.

In any case, this sounds like I'm giving thumbs up to "The Path" and I can't really do that as I haven't played it.

So I'm downloading now. Hopefully it will pan out.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Don't mind me much but I yet have to find a game that is scary but I love horrors because usually they have a great story maybe someday when they do some horror that is under water with creatures underwater (My biggest phobia) that may scare me a bit xD

Don't mind me much but I yet have to find a game that is scary but I love horrors because usually they have a great story maybe someday when they do some horror that is under water with creatures underwater (My biggest phobia) that may scare me a bit xD

Listen, it's very possible that it isn't scary or that I just sign into these things very easily.

funny story.

Left 4 Dead is creepy to me. The first time I went down the stairs from the roof and started opening up closet doors I have to say that it was unnerving.

Eventually I powered my way through the game. But still, seeing all those zombies coming for me, hearing the crying from "somewhere ahead", well to me it was unnerving.

So I invite my friend Samantha over for our weekly "bad tv night". Samantha is one of those upperclass women who has eschewed her upper class background for a more simple and less complicated life. The type of person you would expect to find in a Jane Austen novel, wavy hair put up in the back of her head, graceful and deliberate movements while she lounges on the couch deftly cradling a glass of wine in her hand while, funnily enough, occasional obscenities drop from her mouth where one would not expect them from her well formed and articulate speech. Yet, Oftentimes I joke to her that she is so wimpy she is made of merengue.

So she asks what is on the screen, I say I'll show her as it is "really scary". She thinks it's cool and wants to try.

Never once was she unnerved in any way. She loved the game and had a blast "blasting" zombies (on easy mode), but she didn't find it scary in the least. She just laughed with delight the entire time and always asks to play it when she comes over.

moral of this story?

If you ever need someone to accompany you to a haunted house, I probably wouldn't be the best candidate.

lol, I'd love to tell you guys of the time a friend of mine and I snuck into an abandoned mental institution here in Massachussets.

got a lot of creepy pictures and some abandoned medical records.

Good times.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

I don't know about you guys, but Sovrath is scaring the hell out of me. LOL

Edit:  I'm beginning to wonder whether he snuck into the abandoned mental institution or out of it. :)

Edit2:  The scariest movie moment for me has got to be when the dead chick crawls out of the TV in the ring.

Ok, well, I dowloaded "The Path" and played through two characters.

mini review.

Is it a horror game? Sort of. The horror is more psychological and implied. Is it scary? Possbily. More creepy than anything else.

Do I recommend it? Maybe.

The game really is a niche game and will only appeal to people who enjoy exploration and slow paced games.

In some ways it really isn't even a game but what fuels you is the unknown.

It's more like an interactive art piece. For me this is a good thing. However, for players who are looking for a challenge or something they can immediately wrap their minds around, this game will not appeal to them.

Some interesting things.

You get to play through about 6 or so sisters. i didn't count them but you basically see a red room where these sisters are all standing or sitting and going about their business. Each sister is different. To that end, from what I can see, this also means that "Grandmother's House" is different for each one.

You get left on a path after you pick a sister. Funny enough, if you decide to be cheeky and go back the way you came (away from grandmother's house to the paved road) there is a pay phone. you can interact with the payphone but minor spoiler:

you will have to start your journey again if you do use it as it is essentially you calling home and asking to be picked up which brings you back to the room with the sisters

Once you start on the path you can get to grandmother's house relatively quickly. Because of this you realize that "you can" stay on the path but the game is more about what happens when you go off the path.

You walk very slowly so you can then choose to run. However, running brings the camera up high so you can't see in front of you and the screen becomes very dark. So, in order to really see around you you will have to bring it to a walk once again.

It is very easy to get lost in the woods and if you think you can find your way back to the path, well, let's just say I don't know if it's possible. Luckily enough, if you have even a small bit of curiosity you will quickly figure out the mechanic that allows you to go back on the path. It is somehwat sweet actually.

Game play consists of you wandering around and taking audio and visual clues. The game is very "arty" so you will see at the edge of the screen vague clues as to which direction you "might" go if you are so inclined.

You then proceed to find places where there is a possibility to collect something or interact with something. I highly suspect each journey for each sister is different. As a more interesting point of note, encounters seem to be few and far in between but they are not all bad. Another interesting thing is that as you discover things there are these cryptic little messages that appear on the screen. Take them for what they are.

there are also these little flowers you can collect. I don't know if you can collect all of them with one character or are required to collect them through all of the characters but they help lead you through the woods. they are not a trail that will lead you by the nose by any means.

Also, there is no usable map. Every 100 yards or so you will get your "path". The path appears as a dotted line that shows where you have gone. It gives a quick snapshot of where you have been but it's not something you can conjure up at will so pay mind to where you have gone because it will vanish. One glitch seems to be that the star that represents you is sometimes not there or seems obscured so that it is not always usable. But as I said there is mechanic that will lead you back on the path. You will figure it out soon enough.

Having only gone through two sisters I have to say that most likely each journey is different and the chance to encounter the wolf seems to be something dependent on what you do or dont' do or don't find, etc.

As I failed to find the wolf on my second sister I can say that there is a grandmother. I can't say for certain if just finding grandmother is any better as there is still a creep factor there. Subtle but there.

Will I continue to play? Oh, most definitely.

One interesting thing about grandmother's house (and not much of a spoiler) is that there is a sense of the inevitable. You can't wander around but you are let in and you have no way to go but forward. However, you can choose the pace you go forward which is actually an interesting mechanic. I discovered this because I wanted to turn around and explore but no matter which way I tried I was only led forward a small bit. by consistently hitting one of your movement keys you then move forward at a smooth gait. However, your shadow skittering across the wall, the creepy house (which again, is different for each sister) and suddenly opening doors might make you pause a bit as you try to peak through door or around a corner.

The sound track is creepy if repetitive and of course there are interuptions where there are odd sound effects. I have yet to determine if they mean something or if they just happen on an irregular basis.

In the end, if you like "creepy" are curious and have a bit of patience and just allow the game to be what it is, I think you can enjoy it.

If you are looking for "undying" or "silent hill" or insert horror game "here" then this is not it. Again, it is more of an interactive piece of Art/Toy/game where each sister has a different experience and in the end you may or may not find that particular sister's wolf.

Originally posted by Pappy13

I don't know about you guys, but Sovrath is scaring the hell out of me. LOL
    Edit:  I'm beginning to wonder whether he snuck into the abandoned mental institution or out of it. :)
    Edit2:  The scariest movie moment for me has got to be when the dead chick crawls out of the TV in the ring.

hmmmmm... creepier would be if you went to the hidden grave yard on the institution's property (no really there was one) and found my name on one of the tomb stones.

Though in truth there were no names. Just numbers.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Just to add to Sovrath's excellent write up on "the Path", I was reading about the game on wikipedia and if you don't meet the wolf with a girl then she is back in the room with the other girls when you return and you can choose her again.  The idea being that eventually all of the girls will indeed meet the wolf if you keep playing.  Sounds good to me, I'm gonna have to download it.

Originally posted by Pappy13

Just to add to Sovrath's excellent write up on "the Path", I was reading about the game on wikipedia and if you don't meet the wolf with a girl then she is back in the room with the other girls when you return and you can choose her again.  The idea being that eventually all of the girls will indeed meet the wolf if you keep playing.  Sounds good to me, I'm gonna have to download it.

An interesting epilogue is that if you don't meet the wolf and go to grandmother's house the house will be a certain way.

Apparently if you do meet the wolf and then go back to grandmother's house, there will be sort of reminisences to the wolf and then of course you get your creepy end cut scene.

Interesting enough, I played through carmen twice and still couldn't find my wolf. However, I noticed that at the end summary, sort of like the old doom when it mentioned what you found, I got a sentence that said

Wolf found: NO.

Failure

You know where the wolf is!

And indeed, going back it would appear that I did.

So it seems possible that you can meet your wolf but not do the crucial step that will make it clear that it is your wolf.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Deui
    I played Bioshock and that isn't really what I'm looking for right now. I very much liked the feel to it, but it wasn't scary enough and it didn't have that much surrealism. I really loved the 60's themed aesthetics. Is System Shock 2 similar game?

Phew, SS2 was a lot more scary. That friggin spaceship was really weird and spooky.

Bioshock was made by EA if I remember right, they bought some of the rights from the guys that made SS and SS2 but not all. The game wasn't at all as good.

System shocks 2 problem was that Half life released to close to it.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Rule of Rose (ps2)

Got banned from some countries for "putting children in obscene situations", which was really over a single cutscene where a bunch of little girls poke another in the face with a rat-on-a-stick. Everything else in the game was far more disturbing than just that nonsense. You basically play a young girl trapped in a weird dream-like version of her orphanage (and a flying whale for some reason) where you have a pet dog that sniffs out items and you basically do puzzles while trying to survive a nonstop barrage of strange monsters from clingy babies to horny goat imps and giant fishes wrapped up in newspaper that flop around like a proximity trap. I really can't recommend it for how *good* it is, but the whole thing sure was a bit of a mindfuck.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438

Game called Harvester that's old. Search it on youtube, it has live action and is really the definition of "mind****"

• L0stL0st Member Posts: 77

I doubt most people will even remember this,  this is going way back to 1995. 

It is a game  called  "D"  the first survival horror games I ever played and I remember it freaked me out big time.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

One game must win this prize and that is The Void it's Russian title is Tension and it's a complete mindfook in fact i don't know if it has a genere, technically it's amazeing graphics wise full of weird otherworldy psychodelic effects and adult gameplay with nudity which u would expect from  a Dantes Inferno type setting, here is the link cause i'm still not sure what frigging gamestyle this is.

Supposed to be FPS first person horror,reminds me of Okami as u need to write glyphs on screen then colour the landscape with essences go figure.

Wiki Synopsis

The game is about a soul that accidentally lingered in the Void, before absolute death. The Void is a purgatory-like place, in which the most valuable thing is Color, a liquid that represents lifeforce. Color is scarce and famine is a usual thing for its dwellers — beautiful naked Sisters and deformed monstrous Brothers. Color is a universal resource in the game — at the same time it is the hero's health, armor, stats and ammo. With the help of Nameless Sister, the soul finds out that there is a way to escape and be reincarnated again on the surface, but in order to do this the player must disguise himself as one of the Brothers and eventually confront them.

Very original it won most original Russian game of 2007 and the Russians are known for been odd at best.

Wiki linky:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Void_(video_game)

Whoops just seen another thread mentioning the Void,thought i was the only one bonkers enough to try it

p>
  • Chiodos0542Chiodos0542 Member Posts: 10

Geometry wars neon! xD

When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops. Where do I turn to make the pain stop?

• KazlinKazlin Member UncommonPosts: 124

I could give you a list of games that have some really disturbing moments but for me there isnt 1 game that scares the hell out of me.  I love horror movies games anything horror and god i want a horror game to make my hair stand up on the back of my neck the whole time im playing it. if you guys have any sugestions im all ears ill try any game i havent tryed yet that will give me a earie feeling.

Here is a list of movies or games that got to me somehow

Fear 1 the game the part going down the later nothing was there then you look away and back and alma's face is staring right at you.

Deadspace there were a few parts that got to me but i really want scared just jumped .

The ring the girl comeing out of the TV was a pinnacle of that movie

Paranormal activity the atmosphere and the freaky crap that was going on in that game was bad not to mention i was watching it during the devils hour 3AM lol.

Clive Barkers Jericho got me to jump once or twice

silent hill was one bad jumping session not to mention the dam radio music from the game and the cat jumping out of the locker.

there really needs to be a game that scares everyone to death but thats really hard to do because there is so many diffrent fears to go with only way they could do this is by makeing a game that has every fear and horror.

but i have played so many games that were suppose to be scarry and i laughed at most of them.