Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: A Twilight MMO: Why the Hate?

Comments

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

If you need attention this badly start a cult, become a radical terrorist or a serial killer. Don't write about this again though, show some sign of compassion.

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

Edward Cullen in a MMO

No Thanks I would rather have Tom Cullen in a MMO
    M-O-O-N spells this game would be stinky. Laws yes everyone knows that.

• MasoniclightMasoniclight Member Posts: 87

I am glad that my great nieces love the books and movie but frankly I don't think they'd play an MMO even if it were based on New Moon anyway. 

I'd say let the devs make such a game and let it be successful or fail on its own merits... no harm, no foul. I don't see alot of us who consider ourselves "veteran", "hardcore", or "real" gamers playing it but it really wouldn't matter... the game would probably not be very successful in the long run, close its doors and the industry would move on..

I agree with the former posts of those who say a great vampire based MMO would be something from the world of White Wolf. As an old White Wolf gamer, I wholeheartedly agree. Especially if it was Vampire: The Masquerade!

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

Making a MMO out of a girls movie would be a epic fail. I actually hope they release it because it would be amusing to watch.

Hopefully CCP's White Wolf MMO will be "the" successful "vampire" MMO. At least it will not end up being just another WoW skin.

• BravnikBravnik Member UncommonPosts: 158

WOW - Please kill yourself now. Thanks. The LAST thing the world of MMO's needs is a stupid ass Twilight MMO. OMG I can't believe you actually did this article. I hope your peers give you wedgies and nipple twists for the rest of your damn life.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

Can we stop the nerd on nerd hate...

Who cares if they make a Twilight game... good for them i'm sure they will have 100k + people paying to play it mostly GUYS! YEAH I said it.

Secondly...

I don't care what game you play, your a loser, a pathetic nerd, whiney little forum troll, wasting valuable moments of your only existance in a virtual fantasy world pretending to be a hero when in actuality your nothing. The sooner you figure out your own level of worthlessness is when you will stop this forum nerd video game hate shit.

With that said ... Why would a Twilight MMO merit any additional negative feelings as opposed to any game we play... Is Darkfall Hip(er) or WoW more HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!!? Nope they are all equally pathetic and worthless and usless in the advancement of your everyday life.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• nAAtimusnAAtimus Member Posts: 342

While I wouldn't say that I hate the idea, I believe that there are more compelling supernatural IPs than Twilight.

I'm not here to complete my forum PVP dailies.

• nevermore82nevermore82 Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Tailz2k7

Can we stop the nerd on nerd hate...
    Who cares if they make a Twilight game... good for them i'm sure they will have 100k + people paying to play it mostly GUYS! YEAH I said it.
    Secondly...
    I don't care what game you play, your a loser, a pathetic nerd, whiney little forum troll, wasting valuable moments of your only existance in a virtual fantasy world pretending to be a hero when in actuality your nothing. The sooner you figure out your own level of worthlessness is when you will stop this forum nerd video game hate shit.
    With that said ... Why would a Twilight MMO merit any additional negative feelings as opposed to any game we play... Is Darkfall Hip(er) or WoW more HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!!? Nope they are all equally pathetic and worthless and usless in the advancement of your everyday life.

Anything with the word "Twilight" in it is bound to generate nerd on nerd hate, even more in a mmorpg forum :D

Couldn't agree more with your take on the "hopeless forum wars" that basically just represent a necessity to prove that even in the virtual world "mine is bigger than yours"... or that I'm a bigger idiot than you... anyway, you're missing a point... the original (and only) question of the OP was "Why all the hate?", well people have been explaining why they hate it, or the idea of "it". So in comparison to <insert your game of choice here> they have a feeling of hatred toward a possible Twilight based MMO.

Although it got out of hand, as all flame wars do, there still is a question to be answered... and you didn't even address it. So have you realized your own level of worthlessness? And since you play Aion, have you realized how pathetic that game is?

Not trolling or flaming, just asking if you just preach, or if you really follow your teachings ;)

TU2 Closed Beta Testing... looking very good so far :D

• gruttepiergruttepier Member Posts: 13

a well thought through vampire mmorpg sounds fine to me, some better sources for the lore have been proposed.
    jumping on the bandwagon and purely trying to get money from a group of people known to jump from hype to hype sounds like a bad idea. look at the history of mmorpgs, it is hard enough to make a successful one, let alone one based on IP that might be gone and forgotten once the game comes around. perhaps compare it with tradable card games, for a while every movie / book / hype got one, how many are still around.

• Nacon4Nacon4 Member Posts: 26

Having read some of the posts on this thread, I conclude that the major derision seems to be toward the "Twilight" brand, as opposed to Vampire themed MMO.

Just for the record, I too am sick of all the fantasy MMO's out there...However, I would rather have a decent game even if it is based on fantasy then a lot of crappy games that try to be eye candy for the brain.

Also, while I appreciate the "I'll work in the basement to make the kewlist MMO the world has ever seen!" ethic that people around here seem to want to have happen, it seems that most of the games that will be coming out will be studio made/large company backed/massively hyped mega blockbusters (STO comes to mind) that cost a LOT of freakin' money to make.

When you have to do that you generally need some kind of franchise to work off of.  Because you can have the most kick-ass game the world has ever seen!  And if you don't have any publicity (and I don't put stock in the 'massively viral' notion that the Web can make you a success as a rational guide for a business plan) you won't get any notice for this incredible game and almost nobody will play your game.  And all the while it's going to be fighting the names of DC Universe, STO, GW2, and WoW (off the top of my head) for market share.

The main point is, don't knock the 'name brand recognition' factor of games!  And if you can do it better, than DO IT and stop with the whining that wastes everyone's time!

"In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule." Neitzsche

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Evile

Making a MMO out of a girls movie would be a epic fail. I actually hope they release it because it would be amusing to watch.
    Hopefully CCP's White Wolf MMO will be "the" successful "vampire" MMO. At least it will not end up being just another WoW skin.

I'd love to see what they'll do with that IP.  But that's the thing, that IP is WORLD based, not character based like Twilight.  You can't make a MMO out of characters that players can't be.  There has to be a world to work with.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Why all the hate? Because Twilight took Count Dracula and Nosferatu and turned them into Oscar F***ing Wilde with some glitter paint stuck on, that's why. Twilight may appeal to teenage girls and metrosexual males, but to the rest of us it is shallow, genericized, rubbish.

As to it being a good MMO, I find that idea dubious. Twilight is a simple (of the crash helmet and shortbus type) tween romance novel series with some sanitized supernatural bits stuck on. It works because it follows the lives of a handful of characters and in doing so makes the reader (or watcher) feel personally involved. An MMORPG version would lose this very large and important hook. What works in the novels and films would fail very badly in a game with several hundred thousand protagonists. A company might be able to draw the Twilight fans to purchase a Twilight MMO, but I doubt they could retain them for long. Tweens are notoriously finicky, ask the music industry. And while Twilight may have a large and rabid fanbase, I don't think most of them fit into the online gaming demographic.

In short this industry need to quit wasting time and resources trying to adapt unsuitable intellectual properties to the MMO genre and get back to crafting games that can stand on their own two feet. The last thing the MMO industry needs right now is a game based off the "David Cassidy" of vampire franchises. And even if a vampire MMO was to be made Vampire the Masquerade or even Buffy the Vampire slayer would be far better sources to draw from than this pile of hormonal driven horse shyte.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I just don't see enough depth to this IP to sustain a game premised on it. However, I would love to see a good horror/action mmo with vampires. Underworld would be great for that, imo.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• FunseikiFunseiki Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Funseiki

If they made an MMO based off of everything that happened in the last book it would be sick.
    Spoiler Alert for those that care:
    1. The "Werewolves" we saw aren't actually werewolves, but actually shapeshifters. There actually exists a war against the true Children of the Moon somewhere in Europe.
    2. Factions: Italian vampire family, Cullen/Cullen's friends, Romanian Vampires (Dracula?), and a bunch of lone wolf vampires, not to mention the crazy scientist vampire that rapes South American women that eventually give birth to insane Vampire/human hybrids.
    3. Speaking of hybrids: Lore/Sci Fi. Daddy Cullen said that the shapeshifters and Bella's daughter have a similar genetic makeup. That could open up many possibilities in terms of story development, faction development, and hybrid races. MMO anyone?
    4. Powers: The last book had an elementalist (who also showed signs of powers pre-vampire like bella), mind readers, future seers, power blockers (Bella), Shapeshifters (Jacob and his crew), Super strength, and that was just some of the good guys.
    5. Death: Don't gotta worry bout permadeath debates, cuz they don't die unless the body is entirely engulfed in flames.
    6. Guilds/Clans: Cullen family. Wolf packs like Jacob's when he becomes an "Alpha"
    7. Races: Humans, Vampires, Vampire-Humans, Shapeshifting Humans, Actual Werewolves <- this one can be explored in a lot of different ways since it isn't really developed much in the books.
    8. Moral Issues: human blood vs. animal blood. Can a vampire not be eternally damned?
    9. PvP.
    Of course, a Facebook MMO could work too, just putting this out there as food for thought. I enjoyed the last book mainly because I pictured how awesome it would be to play a game that had a lot of these elements in it.
    Being born into a hawk shapeshifting Native American tribe or being bitten and turned into a werewolf and being introduced to an entirely different world because of it would be intense. Oh and PvP as a war between vampires/werewolves/other vampires. Sick.

I quoted my post from earlier in this thread because it seems most people haven't either A: read the article, or B: read posts of anyone except people against a Twilight MMO.

Read this post and understand why the Twilight series would work as an MMO from the point of view of a gamer, not an economist or business person.

I know this is a lot to ask, but the trolls and flames have taken up most of this thread. How about putting some sort of intelligible argument?

Sparkly penises.. funny as hell but definitely just trolling.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

If they made an MMO based off of everything that happened in the last book it would be sick.
    1. The "Werewolves" we saw aren't actually werewolves, but actually shapeshifters. There actually exists a war against the true Children of the Moon somewhere in Europe.
    2. Factions: Italian vampire family, Cullen/Cullen's friends, Romanian Vampires (Dracula?), and a bunch of lone wolf vampires, not to mention the crazy scientist vampire that rapes South American women that eventually give birth to insane Vampire/human hybrids.
    3. Speaking of hybrids: Lore/Sci Fi. Daddy Cullen said that the shapeshifters and Bella's daughter have a similar genetic makeup. That could open up many possibilities in terms of story development, faction development, and hybrid races. MMO anyone?
    4. Powers: The last book had an elementalist (who also showed signs of powers pre-vampire like bella), mind readers, future seers, power blockers (Bella), Shapeshifters (Jacob and his crew), Super strength, and that was just some of the good guys.
    5. Death: Don't gotta worry bout permadeath debates, cuz they don't die unless the body is entirely engulfed in flames.
    6. Guilds/Clans: Cullen family. Wolf packs like Jacob's when he becomes an "Alpha"
    7. Races: Humans, Vampires, Vampire-Humans, Shapeshifting Humans, Actual Werewolves <- this one can be explored in a lot of different ways since it isn't really developed much in the books.
    8. Moral Issues: human blood vs. animal blood. Can a vampire not be eternally damned?
    9. PvP.
    Of course, a Facebook MMO could work too, just putting this out there as food for thought. I enjoyed the last book mainly because I pictured how awesome it would be to play a game that had a lot of these elements in it.
    Being born into a hawk shapeshifting Native American tribe or being bitten and turned into a werewolf and being introduced to an entirely different world because of it would be intense. Oh and PvP as a war between vampires/werewolves/other vampires. Sick.

I quoted my post from earlier in this thread because it seems most people haven't either A: read the article, or B: read posts of anyone except people against a Twilight MMO.

Read this post and understand why the Twilight series would work as an MMO from the point of view of a gamer, not an economist or business person.

I know this is a lot to ask, but the trolls and flames have taken up most of this thread. How about putting some sort of intelligible argument?

Twilight wouldn't work any better or worse then any other vampire/werewolf blood feud game.  You could do the same thing with an aliens vs. predator MMO and have it be more widely accepted.  The entire idea of a twilight MMO is just trolling, the twilight series does not cater to the majority of gamers.  Perhaps if they can get it on the wii where you can waggle the wiimote in an angsty fashion while looking at half naked shiny vampires.. maybe then it would have a chance to earn some respect.  Trying to hash out faction based combat between the "races" isn't what the books or movies are about traditionally, and thats what makes them popular (to young teen women).  If you aren't going to follow the romance of the ridiculous books then you lose site of why you're even making a game.

• VoltlivesVoltlives Member Posts: 280
    Originally posted by RavingRabbid

I want my WOD mmo please CCP! I do not a MMO based off a teen love story thank you very much!
    (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Fires plungers at CCP for not putting out WOD info!)

This says it all.

END  OF LINE_

~V

• JixxJixx Member Posts: 159

There are plenty of other IPs to base a Vampire vs Werewolf vs Humans MMO off of.

Yeah,  A Twilight based MMO might bring new blood in to MMOs but if the game suck a fat one it could

easily cause those new comers to ever pick up another MMO.  Not only that now you have those same

disenchanted folks passing it on to others that may have got in to the genre but now will now choose

to.

The World of Darkness(WOD) series of table top games would be a better choice.  I actually bought

some of those books for an MMO I want to do. 

Jixx

• kamikkazekamikkaze Member Posts: 83

why the hate?

well, not hate, but tibia, travian and others will be no longer the worst online multiplayers, massive or not, in the world

and,

a harry potter MMO sounds better than a twilight one

LOTRO player

• FunseikiFunseiki Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by maskedweasel

9. PvP.

Twilight wouldn't work any better or worse then any other vampire/werewolf blood feud game.  You could do the same thing with an aliens vs. predator MMO and have it be more widely accepted.  The entire idea of a twilight MMO is just trolling, the twilight series does not cater to the majority of gamers.  Perhaps if they can get it on the wii where you can waggle the wiimote in an angsty fashion while looking at half naked shiny vampires.. maybe then it would have a chance to earn some respect.  Trying to hash out faction based combat between the "races" isn't what the books or movies are about traditionally, and thats what makes them popular (to young teen women).  If you aren't going to follow the romance of the ridiculous books then you lose site of why you're even making a game.

The Twilight series builds on an already existing world that people can already relate to, much like the Harry Potter Series, but establishes its own lore and magic twist. This is why it would make a great MMO.

Know that in an MMO a person creates his/her own experiences, so one does not need to have any sort of teen angst or an infatuation with shirtless men to experience a setting that inherently lends itself to an immersive experience.

The movies took advantage of their target demographic by creating these images that are now associated with the series, but the books - the last in particular, really do some justice in bringing about a world that can be made into an RPG, especially a massively multiplayer one.

In short, you do not need to follow the romance of a particular story in this setting to create the setting itself. There is much more going on the world than just a love story. Whether or not this was the purpose of the series, I can't say but from a gaming perspective the setting and lore is just asking to be used MMORPG style.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

As someone else posted  vampires are evil.  Thay are evil personified, they are not lovers of teenage girls.  Who ever wrote these books should be banned from ever owning any kind of writing device.

As far as making an MMO out of it... WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING !!!!!

To me making a MMO out of this would make about as much sense as making a MMO about nazis who set up an aid program for all of the suffering minorities in Germany and the world.

When we start making vampires out as sparkling people something is wrong.

Maybe the world should end in 2012.

• ZstroyerZstroyer Member Posts: 3

Why a Twilight MMORPG would not work?  And why this article is so terrible?

Because 14 years old girls aren't the driving force behind the video gaming industry.  And because CCP/White Wolf's World of Darkness MMO would stomp it into the ground.  

C'mon now, what are you smoking?

• SenoskeSenoske Member Posts: 5

Worst idea I've heard in a while. As many have already stated, vampires are bloodsucking evil killers. Not soft hearted lil bishes. They do what they must to take positions in power. Not love, they may use it for manipulation, but not ever ever deep enough to make them actually love a person. also.... vampires DO NOT sparkle in the friggin sunlight, I mean come on now, I can imagine if you see the embers flying off of their skin as they burst into flame as glittery, but sparkling? No. Sorry, but doesn't happen. As for a vampire/werewolf MMO I think it would be fun. There's already a MUD about it Aetolia: The Midnight Age ( Http://www.Aetolia.com )  To be honest, in its prime it was amazing, with the roleplay etc. But overall, a twilight MMO, good idea financially, I will give you that.  As for a twilight MMO for gameplay.... bad idea, the variables with everything wouldn't work because every girl would want to fall in love with Edward and have sparkly hot seks with him to make half vampire babies. So therefore... it would suck because you would have to make most male chars seem like NPC's or most female chars seem like NPC's otherwise the players wouldn't get what they wanted... unless you had the male/female pedos (yes, i'm saying there ARE female pedo's they're just harder to find...) which all they would want is to chat with tweeny girls, or guys and get their jollies off. Crime rate: 1

Twilight MMO: 0

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Another article that has fail all over it.  Mainly because CCP has been working on a vampire/ werewolf MMO for several years already, even if they started today CCP would have a 3 year head start on them already. 

Don't need hate here, just need a little brain power to conclude it would be a waste of time. 

Suggestion to MMORPG, drop this author like a hot potato, he seems to have left his brains at curbside.

• HadoshiHadoshi Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by brostyn

Why the hate on Twilight? Are you serious?

Some moron comes up with an idea about fairy vampires that glitter in sunlight and make love to tweens, and you ask WHY THE HATE?

Vampires are blood sucking killers, that DON'T GLITTER IN THE SUN. They BURN. They don't fall in loves with tweens, they don't take on the vampire nation, and the certainly DO NOT GLITTER IN SUNLIGHT.

This book/movie has effectively killed vampire lore that has existed for thousands of years. Vampires will no longer be seen as blood sucking, vicious killers. They will be known as glittery, wonderfu,l majestic creatures that fall in love with tweens.

I Agree !!  Couldn't express it better myself.   Really.. a fairy vampire running around...can you fucking believe it !

Just shoot me already !!!  No Noo Make it more like the game Sims:   "The Sims meets Twighlight"  Every brat will buy that shit!!

But pls do not make as a MMO !!??   Its embarrassing and disgrace in MMO world.

(( I`D RATHER DIE WITH A STRAIGHT BACK THAN A BOW TO YOU AND LIVE ))^^^^^>

• SevenOmaticSevenOmatic Member UncommonPosts: 177

A Twilight MMO would die faster than the Sims MMO.  /fail