Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: A Twilight MMO: Why the Hate?

Comments

• PratzStrikePratzStrike Member Posts: 8

Didn't even read the article - saw the title and came in here to tell you; you're a tool.

• HefronHefron Member UncommonPosts: 1

I wrote a book about it

Title 

"Should we make a MMO based on Twilight?"

Page 1

no..no, no, no, NO!

THE END

Personal Jesus

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

The author’s argument seems to be summed up as: Twilight is an IP in the entertainment area that makes sheds of money, so why not make a MMO about it?

Do we care if the style of the franchise would fit a MMO? Are we concerned that we can stay true to the love story nature of the books in a MMO? Nope, all that matters is that it’s making shed loads.

It is this sort of attitude that brings poorly thought out IP’s to the MMO genre. An attitude that is just blind greed in my book, blind because it cannot see the pitfalls.

Lets us think about the demographic, teen girls and soccer mums. Think about that again, anything strike you? Are MMO’s full of teen girls and soccer mums? But hey its a money spinner so lets just throw sense to the wind and start working on it now!

My wish for the New Year, is that MMO’s are developed on the basis of good gameplay. If IP’s are involved they are chosen because they would work well as a MMO, not just because they are making money.

I might as well dream on. :)

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

And what exactly would the game be about? Now I admit readily that I know nothing about the Twilight series other then that it is a mega-hit with female teens. That in itself says enough, a lot of things are very popular with that crowd, for a while and then it is gone.

Why not a Titanic MMORPG? A boyband FPS? A "tickle me Elmo" RTS?

Just because something is popular doesn't automatically mean it should be made into a game, especially a MMO because those tend to be very large and need a sustained interest for their income rather then a short lived hype.

A lot of movies get a simple platformer with their release, but these are games to work on the interest during the release so you can use the already existing advertising for the movie to generate some side interest for the game. MMO's take longer to develop and need to survive beyond the couple of weeks or even months a movie might be showing.

And what would the MMORPG really be about? Roll a character and survive high-school? Grind exams? 

It has already proven difficult to expand far more active stories (combat) into games (think Star Wars), what makes this guy think Twilight has something that translates into a game other then the rather juvenile "ooh I like movie X so X cookies should be really tasty". What is he, a 12 yr old girl?

the last thing the MMORPG industry needs is to descend in the movie game madness for inspiration. Really, play some Pixar based game to see what it would lead to. 

To the author, the sequense in Space Balls were Yogurt announces all the tie-ins, it is a parody. Not a business-plan. Apparently this is not as obvious as I thought.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by sfc1971

To the author, the sequense in Space Balls were Yogurt announces all the tie-ins, it is a parody. Not a business-plan. Apparently this is not as obvious as I thought.

LOL. Well done, my son.

Perhaps MMO devs have no sense of irony.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Vaske1984Vaske1984 Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by Stradden

MMORPG.com columnist Justin Webb takes some time to talk about the idea of a Twilight MMO and why he thinks it's not such a bad idea after all.

New Moon (the second movie in the Twilight series) has grossed to date well over 250 million dollars at the box office, and made megastars of its tween-friendly trio of lead actors. A third movie is due in June and the hoopla surrounding the Twilight series shows no signs of slowing down. In fact, the premier of Eclipse (the third movie) will probably be a tinseltown tweengasm visible from space. Regardless of whether you personally like the books or the movies, there can be no doubt that there is a massive market for anything related to the Twilight franchise. The second movie arguably proved that the tween-girl demographic could single-handedly "open" a movie and keep it at #1 for several weeks ... a scary thought indeed given that Hollywood just loves to recycle whatever is hot at the moment. Get ready for the rip-offs!

Read A Twilight MMO: Why the Hate?

-Why would anyone ever wnt to play MMO like that? both part of the move sucks....and idd we do not need MMO based on every higher rated movie <_< come on dont make MMO out of every garbage and then wonder why they fail lol. People like watching movies it doesnt mean they like playing MMO's....

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Aevenath

A vampire MMO based off of the World of Darkness ruleset with multiple races such as Brujah, Tremere, etc.=Hell yes.
    A vampire MMO with shiny vampires and werewolves=lolno.

Is already in the making, or atleast a developer has been announced for WoD, if you don't believe me, do a google search :)

I'm personally quite exited about playing such if it sees the light of day (or the moonlight of the night)

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • JanusiJanusi Member Posts: 1

Everybody else has already covered why Twilight doesn't make a good MMO, but I have an additional quibble.

You called the Twilight story  "pseudo-sapphic safe sexuality" and that just shows you know nothing. Bella's and uhm, twinklebell's relationship starts out as dysfunctional and degenerates to violent rape from there in, I believe, book 3. It only gets worse from there with something that seems a lot like celebrating pedophilia in book 4.

Safe, is one word that cannot be applied to this story and I am deeply disturbed by how many grown women find nothing wrong with it.

• triprunnertriprunner Member Posts: 169

oh man, OP is a genius... this thread is a troll bait and flame war together wrapped in  hate to the shittest franchise of the last 5 years...

Twilight is a metaphore for not putting out in high school... Ok, so it has a message of abstinence which is kinda good, young single mothers is a problem well known not only in the US... I understand it strikes a chord with female teenagers.

Don't make an MMO, just tell them to use pills and make their boyfriends use condoms...

• kaldan17kaldan17 Member Posts: 10

MAAAAAN!!!!!!!!! At LAST!!!!!!!! A WEREWOLF / Vampire MMORPG!!!!!!!! GODDAMN ITS GONA BE COOLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My VOTE IS A FUCKING YES!

• Sparkling effing vampires, that is why i would NEVER play such a game.  They have none of the disadvantages of normal vamps, and have more advantages with these random super hero powers slapped on top.

A werewolf vs vamp mmo could be cool, and something like Underworld would provide a much better template for a combat based mmo.

• nevermore82nevermore82 Member Posts: 55

Every vampire after Bela Lugosi's Dracula = major fag!

ok... I'll make an exception for Gary Oldman in Bram Stoker's Dracula because I really like the movie...

Twilight!? Hell no, I'd rather see a FarmVille or MafiaWars MMO lol...

just enjoy this epicness -> 

TU2 Closed Beta Testing... looking very good so far :D

• Dave3216Dave3216 Member Posts: 133

Good to see the actual writers of MMORPG starting to troll. ANyhow just about any vampire IP including pnp games is going to be better than Tardlight. Hmmm I have a theory Tardlight was made for wow kiddies. Discuss LMAO. Shield up.

• ArchemorousArchemorous Member Posts: 197

I guess there isnt much more to say after this really....

• mikenet707mikenet707 Member Posts: 65

MMO based on Twilight? No. I won't even waste brain power to explain why. It should be obvious to anyone who has a brain to think. Vampire Bloodlines:The Masquerade should have been made into am MMO. Not as is but had potential to be made into one. Great game but was just pushed out by the publisher. Huhu. Peace. Happy New Year !!! Keep all your promises now kiddies....

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

I've no problem with Twilight's vampires, in concept. I've long found vampirism aesthetically pleasing, so a vampiric concept that emphasizes that beauty and agelessness is just fine with me. It's an interesting experiment. Even the 'random superpowers' everyone is talking about are reminiscent of the vampires of Nosgoth, their mutations being something I've long been interested in seeing explored by others.

Yet I just can't stomach the actual novels or films. Stephenie Meyer is a crazy, sexually repressed, superstitious (Mormon) bitch and it comes out in her writing, whilst the films are just unpalatable in the same way that the Harry Potter films never reached me. I'm just not in the intended audience, it would seem.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • NithirNithir Member UncommonPosts: 74

Never seen
    ead anything twilight, but i have to say an Vampire vs Werewolves MMO or just something including it set in a modern day age (Secret World anyone?) and a Western MMO, would be THE 2 MMO's i would like to see out on the market, we have to much fantasyspace mmo's.

• uttausuttaus Member Posts: 120

I think the hate is covered in all the previous posts.

I could advocate encouraging a game developer you hate into doing a twilight MMO. I would bet that it would be a net financial loss for the developer.

Asheron's Call, Champions Online, Dark Age of Camelot, EVE Online, EverQuest, Lineage 2, Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft.Waiting for SWTOR

• BountytakerBountytaker Member Posts: 323
    Originally posted by Scot

The author’s argument seems to be summed up as: Twilight is an IP in the entertainment area that makes sheds of money, so why not make a MMO about it?
    Do we care if the style of the franchise would fit a MMO? Are we concerned that we can stay true to the love story nature of the books in a MMO? Nope, all that matters is that it’s making shed loads.
    It is this sort of attitude that brings poorly thought out IP’s to the MMO genre. An attitude that is just blind greed in my book, blind because it cannot see the pitfalls.
    Lets us think about the demographic, teen girls and soccer mums. Think about that again, anything strike you? Are MMO’s full of teen girls and soccer mums? But hey its a money spinner so lets just throw sense to the wind and start working on it now!
    My wish for the New Year, is that MMO’s are developed on the basis of good gameplay. If IP’s are involved they are chosen because they would work well as a MMO, not just because they are making money.
    I might as well dream on. :)

Considering the author (Webb) has more influence on the mmo world (technically speaking) than all of us posters, here, combined...

Yeah...I wouldn't expect major, positive changes anytime soon.

• NicroxNicrox Member Posts: 140

Not all movies should be made into a mmo

• donjoedonjoe Member Posts: 27

Are you kidding me????????

The only good thing this mmo could be use for is to get in touch with ladies between 12 and 17 years old, all wanting to find edward in the game...

This a innocent day joke, right? right? please god tell me this is only a joke and the world has not gone to hell.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

Keeps the kiddies out of the good games lol....

Next Harry Potter mmo ?

I wonder with all the mmo's out there and all the new ones coming out and in the works, how much longer before the market is bloated on mmo's and they stop being profitable.. ?

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Given the "depth" of the books and the world they're set in, you could only make a browser game out of it.

If it were based on the movie, you'd have 2 classes:  Brooder, and Shirtless Guy.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by wgc01

Keeps the kiddies out of the good games lol....

Next Harry Potter mmo ?

Harry Potter at least has an interesting world and lore.  Twilight just has unhappy teenagers.  A tough find in the real world, sure...

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

I want my WOD mmo please CCP! I do not a MMO based off a teen love story thank you very much!

(AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Fires plungers at CCP for not putting out WOD info!)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes