Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: A Twilight MMO: Why the Hate?

Comments

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181

There is hate for twilight because the author has basically destroyed all vampire mythos. How would they make a mmo for this anyway. your new girlfriend doesnt like you so you go and shine in the sun for xp???

• DaedrickDaedrick Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by Shamorau

There is hate for twilight because the author has basically destroyed all vampire mythos. How would they make a mmo for this anyway. your new girlfriend doesnt like you so you go and shine in the sun for xp???

Exactly man, the author of the article is completly stoned. Worst idea EVAR....EEEEEVAR.

-------------------------------------

Before: developers loved games and made money.

Now: developers love money and make games.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by LynxJSA

Originally posted by Tolroc

Would I play a Twilight MMO? No. Would my teenage daughter play it? Yes, if I let her.

You neither understand your daughter nor the appeal of Twilight.

But he hits on the salient point.

Teenage girls are a hard market because teenage girls don't actually have any money.  They have "daddy's money" (generalization I know).

So the problem with marketing to them is it has to be something they want and that Daddy (after all the nagging / crying / pouting / begging etc) is prepared to pay for.

You can get away with a lot because it's rapidly consumed and Daddy really doesn't get a very close look at it before it's used.

A Twilight MMO is in that danger area where Daddy gets to look at it and say "Nope.  That's crap.  I am NOT paying for that."

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

i only see the trailer of that movie and i put the label crap on that, if they want to make a MMO based on that movie OK they can do it but will fail

BestSigEver :P

• JennyfyrJennyfyr Member Posts: 62

Theres no possible way this IP could EVER make for a decent mmo. Because its potential market could never deal with conventional mmo directives. How the hell would you deal with death in such an mmo? Jesus, it'd hafta be pretty creative. I could just picture anyone dying in this game committing real life suicide. God forbid some emotool get rejected by some pixel chick he fell in love with.

Sorry, but any dev house looking at this IP is surely as emo as its followers, and looking to commit corporate suicide.

•  Why would anybody want to make an MMO based on Twilight. It's a piece of crap. The way how vampires are portrayed is idiotic. I find the characters to be very stupid. Please don't feed anymore of this crap to dumb naive teenage fangirls, I hate hearing them scream and going gah-gah over a bunch of emo vampires and werewolves.

If you wanted to do a supernatural MMO based on vampire movies/shows/literature and junk, check out Underworld and Blade (I would like to play as a vampire that eats other vampire hahaha) that was badass. Even Joss Whedon's works Buffy and Angel, it was a hell of a lot more mature even though it was on a channel full of teen dramas (bleh). There's more out there that has better storytelling and maturely well-written than this sappy Twilight crap.

• I'd much rather a WoD, true blood , or Anne Rice style vamp game or mmo. Wasn't twilight just a ruse to teach abstinence? The books could be decent for all I know but the movie was awful. Give me a game with blood, beasts and adult situations over some kids sulking in a park.

• BountytakerBountytaker Member Posts: 323

Why the hate?

One reason:  Because it's another example of mmo developers short-sighted thinking.  In this case, it's the ol' "Bring in a new demographic" idea.  This idea rarely works because it always thinks of a way to bring in this new demographic, but never really plans on how to keep them.  Or, more succinctly, never figures out how to help these new players avoid the issues they have with mmos in the first place.  So, at best, its a quick money return, that MAY return a profit, but usually has no long lasting hope.

For a Twilight mmo, the demographic would be a female tweener audience.  Obviously, easy enough to draw in.  But how long do they stay?  I'd say two days...or, however long it takes for them to realize that the other players in the world are the real life males (teenage and not) that they try to escape from in the fantasy world of the book.  As soon as they are reminded of that fact by the decidedly NOT sensitve teenage male mmo fan, it shouldn't be too long before they cancel.

Still, why the hate? 

Because, as usual with the "bring in a new demographic" idea, a development company wastes resources, time, and money on a plan that does NOT advance the mmo industry, nor please even the general fan.  Instead, it ignores the current, very  LARGE, mmo gamer demographic, which would easily fork over tons of money for better designs, innovation, and even different genres.

So..why the hate for a Twilight (or any new demo) mmo?  Because, like choosing to make sports cars for chimps, its shortsighted, and really is just an insult to humans everywhere.

• phoboxphobox Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by Gyrus

Originally posted by LynxJSA

Originally posted by Tolroc

Would I play a Twilight MMO? No. Would my teenage daughter play it? Yes, if I let her.

You neither understand your daughter nor the appeal of Twilight.

But he hits on the salient point.

Teenage girls are a hard market because teenage girls don't actually have any money.  They have "daddy's money" (generalization I know).

So the problem with marketing to them is it has to be something they want and that Daddy (after all the nagging / crying / pouting / begging etc) is prepared to pay for.

You can get away with a lot because it's rapidly consumed and Daddy really doesn't get a very close look at it before it's used.

A Twilight MMO is in that danger area where Daddy gets to look at it and say "Nope.  That's crap.  I am NOT paying for that."

As opposed to doing what instead with daddy's money? If I had a daughter I think I would either prefer Twilight or just have a 386 computer - and say here... go to the mall.

And don't forget about cel phone bills...

I seek to find the Perfect MMO, do you have what I seek?

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by SuprGamerX

We need some MacGyver / A-Team MMO's,now that would rock our world up :P
     Good thing with a MacGyver MMO,no matter what level you are,you can create explosives out of almost nothing

Mythbusters MMO for me, thanks.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by Brialyn

So Justin Webb you go find a developer that will hire you to make money off the bloated cash cow that is Twilight and I will laugh hysterically as your cash cow goes down in flames because its just a bunch of money grubbing morons who don't know or care about the license to make a game that sucks because they didn't know or care about it!   You won't get a chance to make that really great game because you messed up the one you didn't care about.

He's already done that. He worked on Warhammer Online.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• SerazahrSerazahr Member Posts: 14

If it keeps the twilight idiots out of World of Darkness...

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Why it wouldn't work: Teenagers have a short attention span. Look how quickly the Hillary Duff fans have moved on to Miley Cyrus. By the time it got made, teenagers would have moved on to something else.

The lead character does absolutely nothing because humans can't fight the Vampires or Werewolves, they are just to weak.

That being said I could probably make a game out of it. It would be set in the early 1800's and would be about a war between vampires and werewolves that takes place in the pacific Northwest.

But  Personally I would rather see a Buffy MMO or an Underworld Vampires vs Lycans MMO if you are going for an MMO based on a movie or TV show.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Dragim

Why not a Harry Potter MMO while we are at it?
    I mean we have Lotro, books were before the movie, but an mmo came out after the movies?
    Matrix Online, gone now
    What other ones can we come up with?  I am stumped at the moment

Did you just compare Harry Potter and Twilight to The Lord of the Rings?  Someone should take away your computer before you hurt yourself.

The Matrix Online comment, strangely is apt.  That's what would happen to a Twilight MMO.

• factxfactx Member Posts: 2

Why the hate? Bad writing and pretty bad movies. In my opinion... I think all the article writer is trying to do is to just write a controversial article and not with enough support evidence as to why it should be even be considered. They have already ruined books, movies, and now MMOs?  Give me a Hellsing MMO any day and I will be the first in line to play it. 

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608

Why the hate?

Because it's an abomination of what Vampires should be.

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Can you truly call the Twilight vampires actual vampires? I mean I have seen some pretty bad vampire movies in my time like Vampire in Brooklyn but should we really do that to one of the most popular movie monsters of all time. Remember when vampires were supposed to be scary.

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Originally posted by Ngeldu5t

Why the hate?

Good point.

• IrishIrish Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Originally posted by Dragim

Why not a Harry Potter MMO while we are at it?
    I mean we have Lotro, books were before the movie, but an mmo came out after the movies?
    Matrix Online, gone now
    What other ones can we come up with?  I am stumped at the moment

I actually have to say that a Harry Potter MMO is at least feasible. You could spin it into a multiplayer game. Twilight is completely lacking in anything MMO-able.

• IrishIrish Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Originally posted by Brialyn

That was a completely egotistical view on this idea. I enjoyed the books and I am neither a tween or a soccer mom and I will never understand why people loathe something that they don't understand. It is your prorogative to not enjoy something, I myself don't care for rap or horror movies but I don't go around calling something I myself don't care for stupid! It is just something I don't particularly like.
    I don't think that a Twilight MMO would be a good idea for various reasons but for the author of this article to go on a egotistical rant about what he hates about Twilight then do a complete bipolar move and discuss what he thinks Twilight about would make a good mmo is complete bs. It was corporate greed talking and this moron couldn't make a good MMO out of Twilight because he doesn't understand it. That is part of the problem with the current games is that there are too many developers who don't understand a license taking it on to just make money instead of getting a group of people who care about the license to make the game.

So Justin Webb you go find a developer that will hire you to make money off the bloated cash cow that is Twilight and I will laugh hysterically as your cash cow goes down in flames because its just a bunch of money grubbing morons who don't know or care about the license to make a game that sucks because they didn't know or care about it!   You won't get a chance to make that really great game because you messed up the one you didn't care about.

/high-5!

My girlfriend adores Twilight, but agrees that it would be a horrid MMO. She also likes your avatar. Huzzah!

• rokinTrokinT Member Posts: 14

When my sons were younger I remember telling them - "If you could find me a game where I can point my wand and zap a skeleton, I'll play it". Thus Everquest came into our household and my husband, I and the two youngest sons played it from 1999 to the end of 2004, when we switched over to WoW. The two best reasons for playing WoW, no EXP loss on death and BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Now I have a 13 year old granddaughter (from an older son) and I would really like for her to be into gaming. The game that would do it for her is Twilight or an equivalent (Kim Harrison writes a great story line of werewolves, coyote & vampire).

Getting women into gaming this day and age is like trying to get girls to take higher level math 40 years ago. It wasn't stressed, we were told 'boys are better at math', etc. So for all those gamers who feel threatened that there might be a chic game for teen girls (this attitude from the same guys who make hot babe toons in W0W, etc) - so what - You don't have to play it.

Oh and btw my main is an 80 Rogue and i have lots of fun with her.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462
    Originally posted by rokinT

When my sons were younger I remember telling them - "If you could find me a game where I can point my wand and zap a skeleton, I'll play it". Thus Everquest came into our household and my husband, I and the two youngest sons played it from 1999 to the end of 2004, when we switched over to WoW. The two best reasons for playing WoW, no EXP loss on death and BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE.
    Now I have a 13 year old granddaughter (from an older son) and I would really like for her to be into gaming. The game that would do it for her is Twilight or an equivalent (Kim Harrison writes a great story line of werewolves, coyote & vampire).
    Getting women into gaming this day and age is like trying to get girls to take higher level math 40 years ago. It wasn't stressed, we were told 'boys are better at math', etc. So for all those gamers who feel threatened that there might be a chic game for teen girls (this attitude from the same guys who make hot babe toons in W0W, etc) - so what - You don't have to play it.
    Oh and btw my main is an 80 Rogue and i have lots of fun with her.

I'll admit, for the stupidity level of WoW's community, there is one redeeming quality. I've met more girls playing WoW than any other MMO. Part of it is due to the fact that, since it has all those subs, some are bound to be girls. Still, I'd say at least 30% (probably higher) of my Guild is female. Out of those girls, I'd say 80% are older (moms), but I know some high school/college dudes who managed to get their girlfriends to play.

If a company really wants to risk it, I say let 'em go for it. However, I think it wouldn't work for numerous reasons already mentioned in this thread. You bring up a good point, though, in that targeting a popular IP may not be a bad idea. However, if that IP suddenly stops being popular, you're pretty much screwed.

If you really wanted to create an MMO targeted at girls, I would suggest doing more than just slapping Twilight on the box. Girls must like other things, right?

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by black777

Originally posted by Ngeldu5t

Why the hate?

Good point.

I agree, the Twilight franchise makes Vampires and Werewolves appear to be more pussy than anything I have ever seen or read. While it might appear that Meyers is attempting to make Vampires and Werewolves seem more humanish, it is a terrible concept and a worse execution. Everything about Twilight just craps all over vampire and werewolf lore and mythology. Anne Rice and Brom Stroker are probly rolling over in their graves right now. Notice how there are no Twilight games so far? That is because ther is not enough serious content (or even decent content) in there make anything more than a half assed game.(Actually there i, or was, a Twilight game in the process of being made by some studio or outfit called Brainjunk Studios, but it may have feel through and I could only imagine how awful it would be, just another shite game adaptation of a shite franchise. Basically, Twilight is to the vampire and werewolf genre what Uwe Bol is to the movie industry.

I could handle a Harry Potter MMO, has a lot of potential actually and might not be half bad, but a Twilight MMO?!?!?! FFS the idea itself is an abomination hehe.

• ulthar50ulthar50 Member Posts: 47

A couple of comments here on girls and gaming. I have two daughters (unfortunately entering their teens ....). Both girls are gamers. They play Left for Dead. One plays WoW. One plays Sims 3. There are plenty of games out there that appeal to girls. My hunch is that gaming will see far more women in the future - girls who have grown up gaming. It won't take a Twilight MMO to do so.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

It's funny that players are tired of the same ole, same ole when it comes to MMORPG's quest's, gameplay, GUI, etc, etc, but don't want change when it comes to classic creatures, IE Vampires...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not really seeing a traditional Vampire MMO's out there. So how would creating a traditional Vampire MMO be considered the Same ole Same ole when it comes to gaming?

It wouldn't, except I'm sure it would have everything in it that gamers bitch about now...

I'm just drawing a parrellel here that's all.