Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: SOE in 2010

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I will always be grateful to SOE for their part of the work on original Everquest. But other than that, and in all recent history, they are a game company that deservedly has a bad rep with players.

John Smedley simply doesn't understand that if you make a quality product and treat your customers well, the financial model will work itself out.  When Blizzard made WoW, I can guarantee you they had no income projections that contemplated 11 million people playing their game. They just focused on making a good game, and look what happened. By contrast, SOE makes shoddy products and then tries to come up with inventive ways to make money from them anyway. People are wise to this now and won't put up with it.

I see no turnaround for SOE so long as John Smedley is still there.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by Ravanos

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by Kungaloosh1

Sorry folks but you must be either stupid or outright hateful to STILL regard SOE as especially bad, given how many mediocre, failed, closed and otherwise bad MMOs we had seen in the last 2 years. No chance. SWG was great until NGE, EQ2 was always great, Free Realms was great for the right audience. So I know they are CAPABLE of doing a good MMO. Which is more than I can say about Funcom or Crpytic!
    Seriously, guys, get a damn grip and get the heck over it already. There is nothing worse than an ex wife bitching about the bad character of the ex husband 10 years after the divorce as if was yesterday. No one has sympathy with that!
    I don't know any more detail about The Agency or DCU as anyone, but from what I know I think they can be cool, and I am looking forward to them. DCU seems a lot better than CO (which isn't so hard truth be told), and Agency looks like something fresh and casually entertaining. I am surely going to try them out.

I am someone who played SoE games faithfully from March 17th 1999 until recently.

I gave them chance after chance after chance to redeem themselves. Always being forgiving and continuing to subscribe.

Always full of hope that they will make the right decision to correct something wrong.

Almost always dissappointed in them.

As i said in another thread, SoE has a history of bringing out some damn fine games and then letting them turn to utter garbage.

Eq1 was almost unilaterally loved and adored up until planes of power and then the game fell off the deep end. Only the hardest of the hard core fans remain.

Eq2 had a rough start but developed into a great game with a loyal following and within the last couple of years the development team started streaming out expansions that would best be equated to horse droppings.

Volumes of moans and groans from their community over the introduction of item shops within established pay to play model games.

Buying vanguard and stringing the core audience along with false hopes of the viability of their game.

I could go on and on, but i will leave it with a single statement.......John Smedly is a tool.

All I know is: I played EQ2 for five years and had a blast, I played SWG 4+ years and had a blast, and my only personal gripe was the NGE. So MY logic is: stop whining over beans spilled years ago already. SOE made mistakes like ANY GODDAMN OTHER MMO company! Branding SOE as more evil/dumb is just plain out of any relations.

i agree with you completely if EQ2 was made under the name of another developer people would be jumping all over that game. but because it has the brand of SOE on it stupid people avoid it.

EQ2 is one of the best if the not THE best MMO out right now. and hopefully when they add PVP to PVE servers it will be even better.

EQ2 released long before the masses hated on soe.  Long before the NGE and long before many of the other instances of soe shitting on their players.   

All this talk about how great soe games are is just that, talk. 

EQ2 was never a great game and it has suffered with an identity crisis for years as soe has pushed the direction of the game back and forth so many times people wonder what the next expansion will do to the game.  Keep in mind this game is the best effort soe has every produced on its own and it was closing servers within 12 months of release.  Who recalls the advertising campaign for EQ2 of "no waiting lines"? The truth is that people would rather wait in line for hours to play another mmo instead of subscribing to EQ2 where they was zero wait to get into the game.  That is just how "great" EQ2 was.

The reason more people do not play the game is because the game isn't very good and it is easy to find a better experience in other games.  That doesn't mean the game isn't enjoyable to you, but to almost everyone else it isn't.   

There are millions of new players in the market who have no first hand experience with soes tainted past and they still do not play eq2, despite all the claims of its awesomeness.  Go look at any of the games trial areas and see people trying the game right now.  If the games were so great, those people would be swelling the ranks of soe games, but they are not. 

As for the rest of the soe stable:

Everquest was built by a different company and purchased by soe who then drove out the creative forces behind the game.

SWG: Seriously, how does anyone screw up this title?  Even before the NGE the game was a train wreck and once again soe drove out the creative forces that made the interesting parts of the game.

Free realms boasts 5 million or more players have tried the game, but you could fit all the active players onto 1 server and still not have a full server.  That is hands down the worst release in mmo history.  No other game has lost that many players in such a short time frame.  It is such a failure that soe has had to change the revenue model from a free to play game to a subscription based game.

Planetside, The matrix, EQ online adventure, EQ Mac, Vanguard are all dead projects that would have closed down years ago under any other company.

Even the projects they have partnered with or published are failures.

The failures of other companies do not somehow make soe a quality game maker.  If the next 10 mmos released are bombs that will not in any way improve the quality of soe games.  There are so many reasons soe is in the situation it is in right now.  To many to name to be honest.   Calling people stupid or a hater will not change that reality.

The mmo market has exploded in size and soe has drastically shrank in response to that.  They are still riding the success of the 1 game they purchased 10 years ago. 

SOE is just one company among a group of companies that can be counted on to deliver failure or do whatever is needed to piss off their players. 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Sorry folks but you must be either stupid or outright hateful to STILL regard SOE as especially bad, given how many mediocre, failed, closed and otherwise bad MMOs we had seen in the last 2 years. No chance. SWG was great until NGE, EQ2 was always great, Free Realms was great for the right audience. So I know they are CAPABLE of doing a good MMO. Which is more than I can say about Funcom or Crpytic!
    Seriously, guys, get a damn grip and get the heck over it already. There is nothing worse than an ex wife bitching about the bad character of the ex husband 10 years after the divorce as if was yesterday. No one has sympathy with that!
    I don't know any more detail about The Agency or DCU as anyone, but from what I know I think they can be cool, and I am looking forward to them. DCU seems a lot better than CO (which isn't so hard truth be told), and Agency looks like something fresh and casually entertaining. I am surely going to try them out.

Um, excuse me? You aren't anyone to tell people that they need to "get over" anything. People have the right to not give their money to a company who, certainly didin't as you put it make a mistake like any other MMO company. No, Elikal, they made THE MISTAKE IN THE HISTORY OF MMO COMPANIES TO DATE. That is belief is fairly universally held.

It's perfectly fine if some people like you don't care about getting jerked around like that and will run right back like little puppies hoping the next time will be a nice pat on the head instead of a steel boot to the snout. Others, and rightly so, are well within their right to not come trotting back and you have no more ground to tell them to get over it as they have ground to call you and SOE stooge.

Making a bad game is...well, bad, sure. You can point out Funcom and Cryptic for that. But changing a game  years after it has been out in a manner that thumbs its nose at its existing customer base practically states we don't want you anymore we're looking for X type gamers now.

Now, I didn't proactively come into this thread bashing SOE and really had no intention of it. That said I still maintain that I will never buy nor play another SOE product and I took issue with you telling me that I need to "get over it". There is something worse than an ex-wife still complaining after 10 years: A person who has no idea of what went on in that relationships trying to dictate/being judgmental of the emotions/reactions of those involved.

Sure, it is your right to keep your grudge. But spilling it over forums and trying to incite it on everyone else is not ok after all these years. At some point ppl have to keep their grudges to themselves. You can hate SOE all you live, thats fine with me, and filling every damn thread about SOE with SOE-hate after years and years is just not right.

I will base my liking of a game on the game, not on the company. If DCU and/or Agency are fun I play them if not I don't. Its not like Smedly killed my mother or what!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Um, excuse me? You aren't anyone to tell people that they need to "get over" anything. People have the right to not give their money to a company who, certainly didin't as you put it make a mistake like any other MMO company. No, Elikal, they made THE MISTAKE IN THE HISTORY OF MMO COMPANIES TO DATE. That is belief is fairly universally held.

It's perfectly fine if some people like you don't care about getting jerked around like that and will run right back like little puppies hoping the next time will be a nice pat on the head instead of a steel boot to the snout. Others, and rightly so, are well within their right to not come trotting back and you have no more ground to tell them to get over it as they have ground to call you and SOE stooge.

Making a bad game is...well, bad, sure. You can point out Funcom and Cryptic for that. But changing a game  years after it has been out in a manner that thumbs its nose at its existing customer base practically states we don't want you anymore we're looking for X type gamers now.

Now, I didn't proactively come into this thread bashing SOE and really had no intention of it. That said I still maintain that I will never buy nor play another SOE product and I took issue with you telling me that I need to "get over it". There is something worse than an ex-wife still complaining after 10 years: A person who has no idea of what went on in that relationships trying to dictate/being judgmental of the emotions/reactions of those involved.

Sure, it is your right to keep your grudge. But spilling it over forums and trying to incite it on everyone else is not ok after all these years. At some point ppl have to keep their grudges to themselves. You can hate SOE all you live, thats fine with me, and filling every damn thread about SOE with SOE-hate after years and years is just not right.

I will base my liking of a game on the game, not on the company. If DCU and/or Agency are fun I play them if not I don't. Its not like Smedly killed my mother or what!

Odd isnt it how someone can look upon a let down in a video game as such a catastrophe in their lives.  But then I guess it is how one defines a life.

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

Eq2 was great up  until the latest expansion combined with the introduction of their item shop on a pay to play game.

The expansion was a long time coming and quite frankly dissapointing to much of their player base.

With Kunark there were grumblings about too much solo and then with this one it was too much group. The dev managers at SoE just don't have a clue on how to bring out balanced content that satisfys more than one sphere of playstyle.

Who knows what is going to happen with the Odus expac. I hope good things for them, i truly do, but i don't have any faith left in SoE to get it right.

And to whoever brought up that SoE just loves to bring out mediocre games and then look for niche ways to increase profits, right on brother.

-They charge you a steep monthly fee for extra character slots under the thin veil that you can play other soe games.

-They open a trinket and potion shop where people can either buy stupid crap that should already be available in game or potions that give you exp/aa exp bonuses for real money. Now if eq2 were a f2p game, this one would not be in argument, but it is a pay to play game. Awful.

Now i am not saying overall that eq2 is a horrible game. It isn't. There are lots of areas prior to the latest expac that are nice and others that are getting much needed attention, but the player base is seeing a trend that somewhat started with kunark and continues to grow with weak, tiny, too narrow minded expansions that just happen to be only once per year now. (which is evidence that they have cut their developmental staff numbers exponentially)

One other argument against the merits of SoE is the rather large exodus of quality staff members that fled to 38 Studios. Rats feeling the ship is a sure sign that it is sinking. If not sinking then it is stuck on a sand bar and listing heavily to starboard.

I again stand firmly pat ithat John Smedly is a tool and is directly responsible for the above negative feedback.

The attitude of the worker and the quality of the work they do is a direct reflection on those who manage them.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

Odd isnt it how someone can look upon a let down in a video game as such a catastrophe in their lives.  But then I guess it is how one defines a life.

Seriously old man, do you and I need to start again with the jabs. I thought we got past that in the other thread. Go have a prune juice pa-pa.

@Elikal

Like I said, I don't go around (and feel free to check my posting history if you have doubts) proactively bashing SOE. If a thread comes up and someone asks an opinion of them I give mine. No where is it mandated that after X amount of time I have to change that opinion to a neutral or positive one.

Additionally, I think it's a little off to assume that those who don't like SOE are typing this dislike in some emotion-filled, hysterical tirade where they are yelling and screaming at the monitor as they type. The majority of it as I see it expressed is in a straight forward, frank manner. It's kind of like:

"Do you want sugar in your coffee sir?"

"No thank you."

Granted, there are some that blow up in a spectacular emotional nerdrage, but for the most part I don't believe it's the case.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• miked9022miked9022 Member UncommonPosts: 91

EQ3 or GTFO

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260
    Originally posted by miked9022

EQ3 or GTFO

As much as i despise smed, i would play eq3 and hope it didn't suck.

I still want a 21st century norrath without a shattered land ala eq2.

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421

I've only ever had good experiences with SOE customer service.

I notice that quite a few people here say that it's terrible, I don't think that's fair without backing it up.

Seriously old man, do you and I need to start again with the jabs. I thought we got past that in the other thread. Go have a prune juice pa-pa.

@Elikal

Like I said, I don't go around (and feel free to check my posting history if you have doubts) proactively bashing SOE. If a thread comes up and someone asks an opinion of them I give mine. No where is it mandated that after X amount of time I have to change that opinion to a neutral or positive one.

Additionally, I think it's a little off to assume that those who don't like SOE are typing this dislike in some emotion-filled, hysterical tirade where they are yelling and screaming at the monitor as they type. The majority of it as I see it expressed is in a straight forward, frank manner. It's kind of like:

"No thank you."

Granted, there are some that blow up in a spectacular emotional nerdrage, but for the most part I don't believe it's the case.

Well young pup. I guess if you took this as a personal  jab at you then perhaps you are one of those it was meant for. Personally I think the point Elikal was trying to make about letting go was a pretty good one. I guess understanding how people can hold a hatred for something that happened in something  as insignificant as a video game is beyond me. Disappointments happen in life but a company ruining my fun in a game isnt one of the big ones.

@Elikal

"No thank you."

Well young pup. I guess if you took this as a personal  jab at you then perhaps you are one of those it was meant for. Personally I think the point Elikal was trying to make about letting go was a pretty good one. I guess understanding how people can hold a hatred for something that happened in something  as insignificant as a video game is beyond me. Disappointments happen in life but a company ruining my fun in a game isnt one of the big ones.

Well, pa-pa, when you quote the response with me in it instead of a previous one that would have allowed you to make that point without my name in the highlights, what am I supposed to think, lol!

I'm sure over the course of your life there have been times where you have made the decision to not buy a particular item for whatever reason. And you don't strike me as a person short on principles so I imagine you stuck with that decision. The same premise applies here is what I'm saying.

And as for disappointments about a game company not being a big one I agree. I'm just thankful at this time in my life that I don't have any other disappointments in areas that actually mean something.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

What gonna happen in 2010 is SOE will have to close down Star Wars Galaxies (if SWTOR comes out in 2010, STO will be a big blow too.) They will release a buggy and poorly developed game in DCU and it won't be able to compete with City of Heroes (which has an expansion coming out in 2010 and which is a game that keeps getting better and better) and a Champions Online expansion that will get pushed out the door in late 2010 in an effort to improve subscription numbers.

@Elikal

"No thank you."

Well, pa-pa, when you quote the response with me in it instead of a previous one that would have allowed you to make that point without my name in the highlights, what am I supposed to think, lol!

I'm sure over the course of your life there have been times where you have made the decision to not buy a particular item for whatever reason. And you don't strike me as a person short on principles so I imagine you stuck with that decision. The same premise applies here is what I'm saying.

And as for disappointments about a game company not being a big one I agree. I'm just thankful at this time in my life that I don't have any other disappointments in areas that actually mean something.

Well I you were not my intended target I was making sure i got Elikas statement in my post. You are correct, I bought a new Chevy pickup in 1991 and the piece of shit was in the shop more than on the road. Finally called GM and got some satisfaction. Last GM product ive ever owned.  :)

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543
    Originally posted by Misscreant

Originally posted by bigdaddysfe

Who's Lex Luther?

Are you serious?  Have you never watched any Superman movie or TV series?  Lex Luther is one of Superman's arch nemesis's (nemesi?)

I have no idea who Lex Luther is, but Lex Luthor is Superman's arch-nemesis.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

The long and the short of it is, for many "passionate" MMO players, SOE has garnered a reputation as a company that doesn't see players as customers, but simply as revenue sources they can access with an MMORPG.

Successful gaming companies aim to create as best a product as they can, and then continue to add value to that product to their customers' interested. That formula is pretty easy, and it works.

With SOE's reputation for abandoning games that don't hit it big right away, and adding cash shops for P2P games, they have clearly chosen a different formula: get as much as you can for the least investment possible.

Like most MMO gamers, I want to see as many companies succeed as is humanly possible. But I look at this company and I just see a bunch of accountants figuring out different ways to nickel and dime players without making their games any better. This is probably because they are a subsidiary of a huge company, and gaming is not Sony's core competency.

For Blizzard*, Turbine and, heck, Jagex, gaming is all's they knows, and for that you get customer-focused products. Players need faith in the management of the game. You can gain passionate followers, but you can also gain passionate detractors. Surprisingly, it takes effort to get hard-core haters. You really need to abuse your customers' trust pretty badly. Like SOE has done.

Gaming just doesn't seem to be SOE's focus. If you put the gamers ahead of the financial returns, the revenue will eventually follow. If you do it the other way 'round, then failure is lurking not too far off.

* I know Vivendi owns Activision/ Blizzard, but Blizzard management seems to still be largely intact.

• ManarixManarix Member UncommonPosts: 98

And people like you are, in my humble opinion, one of the reasons why we see such crappy games rushed to release today; after all there will be enough people that buy it anyway despite the company's trackrecord. Where i come from people grow a spine and vote with their feet; fool me once and i am likely to give you another chance, fool me twice or as in Sony's case, fool me constantly (talking about their business models here) and you will have a real hard time to catch me again as a customer.

I know gaming is supposed to be a hobby and should not be taken too seriously. But for Sony and other companies, it has been a business from day 1. And as such i will treat them as the business men they are.

Currently playing browser games. Waiting for Albion Online, Citadel of Sorcery and Camelot Unchained.
    Played: almost all MMO pre 2007

• AzarealAzareal Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Originally posted by Airwren

Unfortunately given their track record SOE can only be considered an 'average' MMO developer at best.  They have a fairly long history of poor launches, poor development, and even poorer customer service.  I'm excited by DCO but I've been burned by SOE too many times to give them another chance.  I suppose it's the whole fool me once prinicple.  Also, every time I see John Smedley's name mentioned with anything I'm reminded of why this company is, and will continue to be average at best.  Between he and Hayden Blackman it suprises me that Sony hasn't axed their MMO division. 

I was going to use some choice 4 letter words to describe SoE but decided that it would be best to just agree with you. And most of all, your avatar speaks plainly of what I think of SoE.

And to all those who seem to love SoE, all I can say is "Ha, ha, ha, boy are you gonna learn the hard way or what."

So freaking sad though since I really wanted to play this game.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

@Elikal

"No thank you."

Well I you were not my intended target I was making sure i got Elikas statement in my post. You are correct, I bought a new Chevy pickup in 1991 and the piece of shit was in the shop more than on the road. Finally called GM and got some satisfaction. Last GM product ive ever owned.  :)

This hits on how people feel for the most part I would guess.

Hate really has nothing to do with it.  Rather it's dissatisfaction and a decision not to support SoE because of their track record with their products.  Same thing as Gramps' GM situation.  That's how it works as a consumer.

The rest of what you see people writing is the reason for the dissatisfaction that drove them to that point.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• bamdorfbamdorf Member UncommonPosts: 150

The innovation, most of the good stuff, that got EQ1 off the launch pad was Verant.   Then SOE took over --- when it was clear it had become, for the time, a huge cash cow.

Just my 2c.

---------------------------
    Rose-lipped maidens,
    Light-foot lads...

• ___s___s Member UncommonPosts: 1

i would kiss most unrechable places of SOE people if they redo SWG on next gen engine. good example is how Mindark did entropia with CryEngine 2

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Hoobley

I notice that quite a few people here say that it's terrible, I don't think that's fair without backing it up.

Double standards much?

It's unfair for anyone to say anything negative about SOE without "backing it up", but you're free to say positive things?

Not that I've any bad customer service experience with them, but sheesh!

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Sony Online Entertainment had a comeback year in 2009.

So in an industry experiencing almost 30% growth annually, SOE laid off 5% of their staff hot on the heels of the release of the much vaunted Free Realms.

Just how low had they sunk for this to qualify as a "comeback"?

Originally posted by green13

So in an industry experiencing almost 30% growth annually, SOE laid off 5% of their staff hot on the heels of the release of the much vaunted Free Realms.

They were going to have to lay off 10%? Maybe? Possibly?

Chavez y Chavez

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by Hoobley

Double standards much?

It's unfair for anyone to say anything negative about SOE without "backing it up", but you're free to say positive things?

Not that I've any bad customer service experience with them, but sheesh!

Well, the point is that a lot of people always seem to complain about SOE's customer service while a lot of people seem to have had no problem whatsoever.

In fact, from personal experience I would say SOE is better then Blizzard and miles ahead of Turbine and Funcom. No payment problems, payment options available for lots of countries, quick polite replies often within minutes, helpful answers. Actual activity on harassment complaints and a willingness to police their servers.

Granted, these are my experiences and they might not be shared by anyone else, but when I see Customer Services being ditched I wonder if people think that the NGE was somehow the fault of the Customer Service Reps. 

Give credit were credit is due. 

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

But so did a lot of other companies. I got the distinct feeling that the credit crisis has been a welcome excuse to shed some dead weight.

It has also become a practice to layoff devs after a launch as they are no longer needed and it is cheaper to just sack them and replace them with new blood for any future project when it happens.

Don't read to much into it. Granted, I don't think SOE is making a comeback, but that is just because they will find someway to screw up the new games. Smedley just has to weave his magic on them.