Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funny thing is....Allods will have BETTER space combat than Star Trek Online!

BrannagarBrannagar Member CommonPosts: 72

Yeah, you heard it right.  I think Allods Online will have better space combat, with their Astral Ships and piracy, than Star Trek Online will have.  Yep, a free to play MMO based on swords, sorcery and fantasy, will out do a pay to play MMO built from the ground up for space combat.

Allods Online's astral combat seems much more free form than Star Trek Onlines, it seems to have more options and less instancing.  I will take that any day over what I have heard from ST:O.

A better description of Allods Online's astral combat is located here.

Any of you think I might be right?

Comments

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Brannagar

Yeah, you heard it right.  I think Allods Online will have better space combat, with their Astral Ships and piracy, than Star Trek Online will have.  Yep, a free to play MMO based on swords, sorcery and fantasy, will out do a pay to play MMO built from the ground up for space combat.

Allods Online's astral combat seems much more free form than Star Trek Onlines, it seems to have more options and less instancing.  I will take that any day over what I have heard from ST:O.

No.

• BrannagarBrannagar Member CommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

No.

Care to say why?  Everything I have seen from Allods has been top notch, as opposed to Cryptic's constant failures.  No reason to not expect that trend to continue.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I'm playing Allods Online and if they can pull off that Astral ship vs. ship combat I would hail it the king of innovation! It would definitely give STO a run for it's money. Guild and raid ships! Customization to boot. Using them to travel to raiding spots and exploration. The ability to disable a ship so you can board and loot a raid fresh from a encounter? Space pirates. All of it actually sounds too good to be true but I'd love it if they could do it.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• nagash303nagash303 Member Posts: 20

Well those Astral ships will have player crews, something that wont happen in STO at launch. This alone should attract some people.

Since this game will continue the story from rage of mages, and Evil Islands, curse of the lost soul the later is one of my alltime favs, I will 100% try this game. It depends solely on how much pvp is in it if i stay or leave. As I am not interessted in pvp.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I just wonder where you got the crystal ball. If you are this good at predicting the future how about hitting me up with some lottery numbers!

Until then I will wait until I have played both.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• SimielSimiel Member Posts: 149

Good story, any evident/base for your claim bro?

I have no "evidence" really, it is just what I feel when I read about ST:O's heavily instanced content as opposed to Allods more wide open content.  Every one I have talked with about ST:O talks about how heavily instanced it is, which I absolutely hate.

I just do not understand why you would want to take all the possibilities of a wide open frontier, like space, and instance the hell out of it.  Makes no sense to me.

Allods is supposed to have an open world in the "Astral", the ability for large groups or raids to control one ship, as pilot, gunner, navigator etc, and the ability to board enemy ships to pirate them.

All of that sounds more exciting to me than the instanced content of ST:O.

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492

I have no "evidence" really, it is just what I feel when I read about ST:O's heavily instanced content as opposed to Allods more wide open content.  Every one I have talked with about ST:O talks about how heavily instanced it is, which I absolutely hate.

I just do not understand why you would want to take all the possibilities of a wide open frontier, like space, and instance the hell out of it.  Makes no sense to me.
    Allods is supposed to have an open world in the "Astral", the ability for large groups or raids to control one ship, as pilot, gunner, navigator etc, and the ability to board enemy ships to pirate them.

You should probably hold back on your expectations. Just because an idea sounds cool, doesn't mean it's NOT gonna be implemented half assed. That's like the newspaper advertising this awesome new car they released, but when you go to look at it, it's a '98 piece of shit. Maybe that's a bad analogy, but the point being is, don't get your hopes up, especially for a F2P game.

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

Originally posted by twiggy550

You should probably hold back on your expectations. Just because an idea sounds cool, doesn't mean it's NOT gonna be implemented half assed. That's like the newspaper advertising this awesome new car they released, but when you go to look at it, it's a '98 piece of shit. Maybe that's a bad analogy, but the point being is, don't get your hopes up, especially for a F2P game.

I normally wouldn't.  But, having played the beta up to the level 20 cap, I have to say that they have certainly done everything else right.  I normally dismiss F2P games out of hand.  They normally have poor production values, bad story lines, poor questing and little interesting content.  

Allods Online is totally different.  Thus far it has completely impressed me.  The production values are high; the animations, graphics, spell effects and voice acting are all top-notch.  The story told by the quests are interesting and there are a metric ton of quests, all well done.  There also seems to be a lot of content.  I have done the one instance at level ten but there are about 4 more before level 30 and even more at level cap, both small group and raids.

Simply put, I would dismiss their claims I had I not played the game to the point I have, they still may drop the ball but all their content so far has been fantastic.  I see no reason to doubt them now.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Does it have Klingons, Vulcans and Boleans? Nope. Does it have Constitution, Galaxy or Exclesior class star ships? Nope. birds of Prey? Nope. Why would I play it then?

Originally posted by mbd1968

Does it have Klingons, Vulcans and Boleans? Nope. Does it have Constitution, Galaxy or Exclesior class star ships? Nope. birds of Prey? Nope. Why would I play it then?

Nope it has Nazi Orcs though.  Which is cool in and of itself, hehe.  

I don't know, I would play it just because it is now instanced out the wahzoo like ST:O is but that's just me.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

i believe his statement was the combat itself was going to be better not what skins the ships have on them or the different skins on the characters.

i am sceptical about both games honestly, yeah i play allods and enjoy it but it is a F2P game and don't know how everythign will be once the item mall goes in. and never played STO at all, but a space game heavily instanced just doesn't make sense. but will have too see how it goes it would have to REALLY wow me when i play it to over look the instancing in a space game.

Originally posted by abyss610

i believe his statement was the combat itself was going to be better not what skins the ships have on them or the different skins on the characters.

i am sceptical about both games honestly, yeah i play allods and enjoy it but it is a F2P game and don't know how everythign will be once the item mall goes in. and never played STO at all, but a space game heavily instanced just doesn't make sense. but will have too see how it goes it would have to REALLY wow me when i play it to over look the instancing in a space game.

I am skeptical about the cash shop as well, but the people I have talked to in Russia say that it contains only cosmetic, novelty and convenience items.  No gear at all and will not be needed to advance your character.  In addition they say everything that can be purchased in the cash shop can be obtained in-game through quests.

We will find out soon I guess, I have never played a F2P game and if I had my druthers, it would have a normal P2P model.

I am skeptical about the cash shop as well, but the people I have talked to in Russia say that it contains only cosmetic, novelty and convenience items.  No gear at all and will not be needed to advance your character.  In addition they say everything that can be purchased in the cash shop can be obtained in-game through quests.

We will find out soon I guess, I have never played a F2P game and if I had my druthers, it would have a normal P2P model.

i'm not talking gear and what not, in every F2P game i played the leveling was insanely slow paced. way more than needed but they do it so you have to buy exp potions for it to level like a normal game and not a second job.

i'm not talking gear and what not, in every F2P game i played the leveling was insanely slow paced. way more than needed but they do it so you have to buy exp potions for it to level like a normal game and not a second job.

Thus far the pace has been about the same as WoW before the expansions.  Of course, that could easily be changed after release.  However, I have not heard of any problems from players of the Russian version, nor have I heard of a XP potion being a requirement to level at a decent pace.

I am right there with you, though, I would rather not have the F2P model but if it is a good game and they do not mess it up with that cash shop I will play.  I figure I can budget 15-20 bucks a month to it and if I can not stay competitive with that, I am out.

Thus far the pace has been about the same as WoW before the expansions.  Of course, that could easily be changed after release.  However, I have not heard of any problems from players of the Russian version, nor have I heard of a XP potion being a requirement to level at a decent pace.

I am right there with you, though, I would rather not have the F2P model but if it is a good game and they do not mess it up with that cash shop I will play.  I figure I can budget 15-20 bucks a month to it and if I can not stay competitive with that, I am out.

the thing is the "F2P" games end up costing more than a game that is P2P to compensate for all the otehr people that don't pay a dime, like ALOT more.

the thing is the "F2P" games end up costing more than a game that is P2P to compensate for all the otehr people that don't pay a dime, like ALOT more.

Could be the same with Allods but those I have spoke to say that is not the case so far.  Either way, I have little to lose in trying it out after release.   Still wish they could make it P2P though, if they did I would be a buyer for sure.

Could be the same with Allods but those I have spoke to say that is not the case so far.  Either way, I have little to lose in trying it out after release.   Still wish they could make it P2P though, if they did I would be a buyer for sure.

o i'm deffinitly going to try it after launch, as you said nothing to lose. just the reasons i had to being sceptical is all.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Me neither.  And to top it off, STO will never, ever have player-team crewed ships; only solo-player ships.