Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Truly Fresh MMO.

2»

Comments

• Vaske1984Vaske1984 Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by sonoggi

part 2: is GA an MMO?

GA is not just an MMO. it is the only quality MMO coming out in 2010. it has all the elements that jaded gamers are looking for, and most MMO'ers are now jaded. let me give you a quick rundown:
    - Aion - fail
    - CO - fail
    - CoX - rip (well, almost)
    - TR - rip
    - EQ2 - fail
    - LOTRO - not an mmo; it's a multiplayer RPG PVE game; still fail for making the books look so bad
    - WAR - fail
    - AOC - fail
    - WoW - outdated but still the best; people are looking for a way out; tired of the same crap and the grind and the leveling and the gearing up; (cata will be same crap different package; theyre not changing their formula enough)
    - EVE - great game but very few play it because it's a huge timesink, it's too difficult to get into, and death penalty is second to diablo II's hardcore mode. most people dont want a death penalty, especially if they dont have a lot of RL time.
    Why all these fail: grind. grind, grind, grind. people dont want this any more. additionally, people dont want to fulfill requirements to start playing (im looking at you wow raids and EVE-pvp-that-takes-6-months-to-skill-for-so-you-can-make-any-difference). people want to get into their game immediately. consumers also want customization. and finally, pvp is THE thing that gives a game longevity on the market. PVE encounters are fun to do once or twice but become pointless without persistence and pvp.
    other things coming out:
    - STO - a big resounding meh.
    - SWTOR - not an mmo (maybe you should take this discussion to their forums. they havent said a single word about pvp or massively coop encounters or persistency) - will succeed because it's a quality rpg and people love star wars.
    - Huxley - put her back in, she's not done yet
    - Earthrise - theyve been dragging their feet for years and will continue to do so until Q2 2010. by then, the sci fi genre will be saturated. gg.
    - starcraft 2 - ??? stopped caring about this appx. 2 years ago.

so, GA is an MMO because it has massive appeal due to: pvp-centricity, customization, persistency, character progression, small scale battles (only these are successful in the long run; zerg-fests get old very quick; this is why WoW arenas is the most popular pvp hub currently). so in a sense, im redefining MMO right now. MMO no longer means lots of people on one server progressing. this would be a PVE RPG multiplayer game. MMO means MASS APPEAL, which equals progression + PVP/PVE + persistency + accessibility. think of GA as a series of WoW BG's. youre rolling with a team to different hexes/locations to make them yours. while leveling up. naturally, without the grind. this is MMO.oh, let me ask you a question. why is mass effect 2 preview plastered all over MMORPG.com homepage? because it has freaking MASS APPEAL and lots of it. and it's not even multiplayer, nor is it p2p. think about that a while.
    plus i added a bunch of other stuff dissing other games because they make me want to sleep and never wake up.
    oh, and u know what i respect about the game developers the most? they know theyve got a good formula going. they know beta has been a success. but theyre not trying to hype the game. this will take the pressure off it and allow people to truly enjoy it.

-Amen to that :P good said.

• BravnikBravnik Member UncommonPosts: 158

Sorry man, but GA is just another URT, Quake, Halo wrapped in another skin. It's not an MMO at all with only 12 per side. It is a fancy URT Server Queue but instead of a text based queue it is graphical. It has leveling yes but meh. It is still just a fluff FPS for people with short attention spans like yourself.

Will I play it? Probably. Will it be a game I play for many years. Probably not. I simply don't care for repetitive games with no point. Your little measly 5 year experience with games means jack to me. Hell I played Everquest longer than you have played PVP.

Again the ARENA in WOW is a total F'ing joke. There is no skill involved. It's FOTM play only. The rating system is a laughing stock. The battlegrounds were a lot more fun than the stupid, repetitive arena.

PS may have been a knockoff of Tribes but PS did a hell of a lot better and was way more fun. Seeing 300 people attacking one location was a total F'ing blast.

Instancing has killed MMO's. It has taken a nice live world the turned them into little protective containers of repetitive crap. GW was so lame it was not funny. DDO was the same way. Any game that has a Lobby type setup with everything instanced is doomed to fail. You call that an MMO I call it a joke.

I want to see a MMOFPS with an open world with non-repetitive objectives that when you hold them mean something. I would love to see 300 people battles but with a true goal.

Mass Appeal? Really? Maybe for 6 months. But what will keep people playing after that? URT is fun until you learn the maps and where all the goodies are at. Games such as URT, Quake, Halo are for those with very short attention spans. They are there for a quick fix and then log. They are made for people with ADD not people with a life.

• ZukanZukan Member Posts: 161

Bravnik, I read "I simply don't care for repetitive games with no point."  then I read "I played Everquest" and then I stopped reading because you canceled yourself out.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

"Sorry man, but GA is just another URT, Quake, Halo wrapped in another skin. It's not an MMO at all with only 12 per side. It is a fancy URT Server Queue but instead of a text based queue it is graphical. It has leveling yes but meh. It is still just a fluff FPS for people with short attention spans like yourself. "

- it's not a FPS; it has little to do with Quake or Halo....maybe the fact that you need good eye-brain-hand coordination, but thats about it. people with short attention spans actually play games that give immediate gratification. like a piece of stat-boosting armor, or a head-shot snipe kill, or gold. GA does not qualify fortunately.

"Will I play it? Probably. Will it be a game I play for many years. Probably not. I simply don't care for repetitive games with no point. Your little measly 5 year experience with games means jack to me. Hell I played Everquest longer than you have played PVP."

- GA is the least repetitive MMO. simply because youre always pvp'ing in a different place, against different opponents and therefore under different circumstances. EVE is the only MMO similar to this.

"Again the ARENA in WOW is a total F'ing joke. There is no skill involved. It's FOTM play only. The rating system is a laughing stock. The battlegrounds were a lot more fun than the stupid, repetitive arena."

- i said arenas is a popular PVP hub because people prefer regulated, tactical pvp. the sheer amount of tactics required to win an arena match against equally geared opponents with similar skill level is only matched by a small gang fleet engagements in EVE online (which rarely occur). mindless blobbing = short attention span. roaming wolfpack using tactics and coordination to win = skill.

"PS may have been a knockoff of Tribes but PS did a hell of a lot better and was way more fun. Seeing 300 people attacking one location was a total F'ing blast."

- did a hell of a lot better and was way more fun THAN WHAT? you havent played GA. SEEING 300 people attacking one location was revolutionary  for a game in 2002. PS is dead for a reason. i'll fill you in: people are actually bored of seeing 300 people attacking one location; we've realized there should be more to pvp.

"Instancing has killed MMO's. It has taken a nice live world the turned them into little protective containers of repetitive crap. GW was so lame it was not funny. DDO was the same way. Any game that has a Lobby type setup with everything instanced is doomed to fail. You call that an MMO I call it a joke."

- what MMO's, you have to be specific. instancing killed world PVP in WoW. thats about it. instancing in EVE, on the other hand, was the only way to create a somewhat fair engagement between opposing forces in Faction Warfare, and therefore was the best PVP that graced that game. it doesnt really exist now because people have left Faction Warfare. GW is considered the best pvp MMO by those who like pvp. GRIND killed MMO's. repeating PVE content to get gear has killed MMO's. failing to deliver promised content killed MMO's. massive imbalances in overcomplicated class setups have killed pvp in MMO's. instancing is actually the only saving grace for pvp in MMO's.

"I want to see a MMOFPS with an open world with non-repetitive objectives that when you hold them mean something. I would love to see 300 people battles but with a true goal."

- whoa, sounds exactly like GA. except it's a TPS, and only 200 people battle for a location with a true goal. aw man, that sucks.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Well if it is in first person I will make sure to avoid it. I truly do not like first person games at all.

• ZukanZukan Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by karat76

Well if it is in first person I will make sure to avoid it. I truly do not like first person games at all.

You play in third person view, not sure if it's the view you dislike or the over all game play type... as it still plays like a shooter.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Zukan

Originally posted by karat76

You play in third person view, not sure if it's the view you dislike or the over all game play type... as it still plays like a shooter.

Ive been told (Not in beta So no idea if this is right at all...) That it feels like a FPS but inplace of your gun you have your Avatar.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I would rather play a game like Global Agenda with small scale tactical PVP then a 300 person zerg fest anyday. I want to matter in the outcome of the battle. Give a specific goal that I must accomplish for my team to be successful. In a zerg you can log off or go afk and it would not even make a difference.

• GenoknightGenoknight Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Vinterkrig

Originally posted by sonoggi

"I want to see a MMOFPS with an open world with non-repetitive objectives that when you hold them mean something. I would love to see 300 people battles but with a true goal."
    - whoa, sounds exactly like GA. except it's a TPS, and only 200 people battle for a location with a true goal. aw man, that sucks.

200 people battle for a location, but all in different instances right? :

Were do either of you get your information, lol?

It's 60vs60 and their all split into 5 groups of 12vs12. According to the developers they all effect each other, but they still haven't shown us crap to back up all their AvsA and "The worlds eyes upon" you bull crap.

• XaNderdasXaNderdas Member Posts: 7

Hi all :)

This topic really seems strange to me... but probably I lack  of sufficient info.

First of all, I agree with those that say it's not so new. (not going to quote each of the aspects and probably I missed more than some skipping through the thread).

In second stance... why all this hype? It's seems very similar to Huxley but with worse graphics and worse plot. I can't tell about gamplay though...

Has any of you got more info about this game (i.e. tried it in CB)?

X, the Lurker

• Cirn0Cirn0 Member Posts: 162

Was playing absolute terror a bit and liked the death penalty. To reactivate you have to spend action points, the more powerfull your unit/hero is, the more it costs. It would be awsome if GA had something like that.

Like... killing the guild master (a dude with top armor, bonuses and etc) will lower the guilds reputation (or another stat) greatly, but killing some low rank guys (not low lvls, but low ranks) wont have much effect on rep, unless it was a massacre or something.
    Like IRL - being the biggest cogwheel, with a small turn you can move dozens of small cogwheels, yet a small rust might cripple the system.

IZI MODO?! Ha-ha-ha!

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Mannish

I would rather play a game like Global Agenda with small scale tactical PVP then a 300 person zerg fest anyday. I want to matter in the outcome of the battle. Give a specific goal that I must accomplish for my team to be successful. In a zerg you can log off or go afk and it would not even make a difference.

Well the zerg system can be pritty sweet to.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams