Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: A Twilight MMO: Why the Hate?

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by majinant

New Moon (the second movie in the Twilight series) has grossed to date well over 250 million dollars at the box office....

Man are you behind. It has already grossed over 663.4 million dollars!

.... scary when you think about it...  and i'd rather not...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Archemorous

Oh and vampires dont sparkle.

But again, they dont' burn in the sun either.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Davy_JonesDavy_Jones Member Posts: 12

A Twilight MMO is a terrible terrible idea, if somebody wants to make an MMO like this then go with Legend of the Seeker instead.

• ArchemorousArchemorous Member Posts: 197

Oh, have you seen a vampire before?

Also, it's not just girls who like twilight. I am a straight dude and I enjoy the story. Granted I don't like the movies very much, but the books are great!

1-Nope. But dumping a horn on an elephant and calling it a unicorn isnt right, even if it fits the technical description of what a unicorn is. And unicorns are just as mythical as vampires.

2-And thats fine, I got my opinion, you got yours. nothing wrong with that man. =)

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Oh, have you seen a vampire before?

Also, it's not just girls who like twilight. I am a straight dude and I enjoy the story. Granted I don't like the movies very much, but the books are great!

1-Nope. But dumping a horn on an elephant and calling it a unicorn isnt right, even if it fits the technical description of what a unicorn is. And unicorns are just as mythical as vampires.

Can't compare elephants to vampires. Elephants are real. We all know they are real. We all know what they look like, so of course if u stuck a horn on one we would still know it is an elephant and not a unicorn!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Sovrath

well, its a bit christopher lee, but in the old vampyre films they generally turned to dust..  though i kind of liked the 'blade' type, where they burned, which is probably where that all came from maybe?

whatever happened to the bit where a vampyre is an undead bloodsucking fiend probably of demonic origin anyway.. and werewolves, not the cutesy fluffy doggy but the ravening beast that has a tendency to eat people, and isnt too particular about waiting until their prey is dead before feeding..  stereotypes.. can be so misleading....

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

An MMORPG based on vampires, definetely, yes. But based on tween vampires, definetely, NO.

Much better they be based on the vampires from World of Darkness, Bram Stokers or even Anne Rice vampire world. But tweens, yuck and double yuck.

As for why the hate for the Twilight Movies, well they suck, thats why.

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

"Why the hate?"

Meh I personally wouldn't play it but I'm all for them making it, the genre could use more females and this could be a chance to get my lady into playing MMOs.

• nkryptiknkryptik Member Posts: 36

When I pause to think of a MMO releasing, being developed or the thought of a possibility of a chance one could be made, no matter what it is or who it is, I find myself continually coning back the the same question "If Blizzard are releasing D3 and SC2 under the shadow that is the great white elephant World of Warcraft, how is anyone else going to actually make a go of any types of MMO until someone actually knocks this white elephant down and clears the way for "new" games."

Personally I would really enjoy to see something new that is not Orcs vs Humans, or Warewolves and better yet an end to Anime games, but until one company sits back and says ok this is what people want and we are going to deliver it in a game, World of Warcraft will forever remain that shadow over all the others heads.  I will just sit and await the day I can see that Ivory hung on the mantle of company that realized if you make a game that has the content and customer support paying customers expect that they will spend their money with you instead of a community filled with spam, gold sellers, exploiters, and younger aged persons with their vulgar, racist, and hatred language and allowed to continue it day after day outside a few 3 hr breaks while they sleep like it is in World of Warcraft now.

Old school as it sounds time for EA to fire the nay sayers and bring us UO2 that should have been released years ago and would have still had that game at the top of the charts instead of dieing the evil horror of only being known as the game that could have been.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by Sovrath

well, its a bit christopher lee, but in the old vampyre films they generally turned to dust..  though i kind of liked the 'blade' type, where they burned, which is probably where that all came from maybe?

whatever happened to the bit where a vampyre is an undead bloodsucking fiend probably of demonic origin anyway.. and werewolves, not the cutesy fluffy doggy but the ravening beast that has a tendency to eat people, and isnt too particular about waiting until their prey is dead before feeding..  stereotypes.. can be so misleading....

And remember, dracula did not burn in the sun. He was just weaker. Vampires of folklore also did not burn in the sun.

People just need to realize that as the decades go by, things are going to change.

One day vampires don't burn, the next they do, and the next they date women hundreds of years their junior.

In 10 years they might be fighting crime with froglocks.

The circle of life.

Personally, I am partial to the Anne Rice type of vampires.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ArchemorousArchemorous Member Posts: 197

Can't compare elephants to vampires. Elephants are real. We all know they are real. We all know what they look like, so of course if u stuck a horn on one we would still know it is an elephant and not a unicorn!

Yeah, but what I meant was that vampires, as mythical creatures, have a number of characteristics and lore that were built up through the ages (even if they vary slightly from book to book, movie to movie), and they were never pretty or amusing.

And my point with that was that for Meyer to write a brand new "feature" into them, specially one such as the sparklers, just feels weird to me, thats all.

Originally posted by nkryptik

Personally I would really enjoy to see something new that is not Orcs vs Humans, or Warewolves and better yet an end to Anime games, but until one company sits back and says ok this is what people want and we are going to deliver it in a game, World of Warcraft will forever remain that shadow over all the others heads.

What are you talking about. There have been many games that have come out that aren't Orc vs Humans, or Warewolves and aren't anime. People, for the most part, do not what them so they do not do very well!

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

There's enough glittering girl-pants guys whining and looking for love in all the wrong places already in the mmosphere. Don't need a game encouraging it. 

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

Yeah, but what I meant was that vampires, as mythical creatures, have a number of characteristics and lore that were built up through the ages (even if they vary slightly from book to book, movie to movie), and they were never pretty or amusing.

And my point with that was that for Meyer to write a brand new "feature" into them, specially one such as the sparklers, just feels weird to me, thats all.

Ahh ic. Sweet as then!

• Why the hate?

We have enough crappy games. Why don't developers start considering what players want, not what brings in fast money?

Does the world really need a "Twilight Online"? No.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Yet another point of matter that this industry is now composed of folks with zero creativity. How about coming up with your own IPs instead of chasing every damn fad that pops up? Wait, my mistake. If you're target audience is pre-teen girls with a sprinkle of women from 20+ then go for it. Though, don't count on those below 20s girls so much as from what I remember during those years added to what my relatives (and their friends) of that gender/age do you won't have much of an audience.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184

That was a completely egotistical view on this idea. I enjoyed the books and I am neither a tween or a soccer mom and I will never understand why people loathe something that they don't understand. It is your prorogative to not enjoy something, I myself don't care for rap or horror movies but I don't go around calling something I myself don't care for stupid! It is just something I don't particularly like.

I don't think that a Twilight MMO would be a good idea for various reasons but for the author of this article to go on a egotistical rant about what he hates about Twilight then do a complete bipolar move and discuss what he thinks Twilight about would make a good mmo is complete bs. It was corporate greed talking and this moron couldn't make a good MMO out of Twilight because he doesn't understand it. That is part of the problem with the current games is that there are too many developers who don't understand a license taking it on to just make money instead of getting a group of people who care about the license to make the game.

So Justin Webb you go find a developer that will hire you to make money off the bloated cash cow that is Twilight and I will laugh hysterically as your cash cow goes down in flames because its just a bunch of money grubbing morons who don't know or care about the license to make a game that sucks because they didn't know or care about it!   You won't get a chance to make that really great game because you messed up the one you didn't care about.

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

The go-to answer is pretty much that there'll always be someone who thinks they're too cool for the IP, and therefore think they need to bash it.

Personally, I just don't like the idea of how the sparkly vampires work.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• TolrocTolroc Member UncommonPosts: 111

Would I play a Twilight MMO? No. Would my teenage daughter play it? Yes, if I let her. A Twilight MMO would make a ton of money whether traditional gamers like it or not. Yes, I hate the Twilight version of vampires like many posters on this forum, but I think a Twilight MMO would help widen the audience for the genre. 

Twilight and Harry Potter are two IP's just waiting to be MMO's IMO that would both be largely successful.

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Well one problem with a Twilight game is, for it to be a quality it would take a few to a handful of years to develope, by then, the series' fans would have grown up and maybe have moved on. It certainly wouldn't be as popular now. And you'd have to appeal to more people than the name alone would bring. I mean think about it, if you make a Twilight MMO for fans, you would primarily get the fans who  are ALSO MMO gamers, or likely to play an MMO which takes a population that is already small, the fanabse, and try and overlap it with another fairly small population, MMO players, and wind up with an even smaller potential customer group. Of that group, you would only get a fraction, so the game might need to be heavily budgeted to and not be thrown out like a massive marketing machine with too much hype and dollars and no invnovation or good gameplay.

So let's assume there are enough people who would be interested in this type of game and would buy it if it's a good game. We're still working with a an auto stigma known as pretty looking movie or series based games (although some are not even pretty), with technical handicaps and crap gameplay. I mean most games that are attached to movies and the like are garbage. Let's say you can overcome that, you also have to overcome the pretty high entry barrier into MMOs themselves. So many companies have what looks like quality games produce such subpar results, terrible releases, and no lasting value.

Is it possible to have a quality game with lasting appeal based on a franchise, well sure, LOTRO is still around but there is a lot more material attached to that series AND the game is not everyone's cup of tea. I am sure any Twilight game would, despite what I just say, try to be everyone's everything and just fail. We'll be seeing a few more games come out attached to franchises, DC/Star Trek for example, which may or may  not be worthwile. Who knows really at this point?

So what's wrong with a Twilight MMORPG, or some MMO in general, well nothing is inherently wrong with it, but I see so many pitfalls that any company taking on the project could fall into that I seriously doubt the ability of any of them to actually do a quality job with the game, even more so than the typical MMORPG problems we already see and watch do mamy games fall into time and time again.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• Vulnero87Vulnero87 Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Brialyn

That was a completely egotistical view on this idea. I enjoyed the books and I am neither a tween or a soccer mom and I will never understand why people loathe something that they don't understand. It is your prorogative to not enjoy something, I myself don't care for rap or horror movies but I don't go around calling something I myself don't care for stupid! It is just something I don't particularly like.
    I don't think that a Twilight MMO would be a good idea for various reasons but for the author of this article to go on a egotistical rant about what he hates about Twilight then do a complete bipolar move and discuss what he thinks Twilight about would make a good mmo is complete bs. It was corporate greed talking and this moron couldn't make a good MMO out of Twilight because he doesn't understand it. That is part of the problem with the current games is that there are too many developers who don't understand a license taking it on to just make money instead of getting a group of people who care about the license to make the game.

So Justin Webb you go find a developer that will hire you to make money off the bloated cash cow that is Twilight and I will laugh hysterically as your cash cow goes down in flames because its just a bunch of money grubbing morons who don't know or care about the license to make a game that sucks because they didn't know or care about it!   You won't get a chance to make that really great game because you messed up the one you didn't care about.

Find it funny that your mocking his opinion on the matter and then cast your own like it's more important.  Twilight is a horrible series.  Plot has been done to many times.  The author writes about it like it's her sex fantasy.  The characters aren't rememberable.  The main girl is depicted like the author is her.

Everyone has opinions, but does that make them the universal truth??? NO!

• DaedrickDaedrick Member Posts: 168

Oh, my, dear, @$?king, god... this is probably the worst fucking article this website ever Sh@ted ever. Why the hate? Because its a $%&@king bad IP, we all f@?!king see it because our GF want to see it and for no other reasons than that. There is nothing to build on, the IP is weak and poor...

Eeeeeeeeeeew BUT EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW why the hell am I answering this article made of Sh&t anyway? You guys have no f@&king taste, your ideas are generaly crap, you are completly cut off from the player bases... Time for me to move to something else, this website and his crew is truely completly off track.

Edit: WTF would you do in that F#$&@ MMO anyway? Jump around? Tease NPCs? Role play love story with others males which are probably f@$** fat and ugly... DIE IN A FIRE, DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE.... ingame.

If that ever happen, let me roll a human, so I can go to nearest gun store and F#$!&*! enter their HOMO EMO mansion and cut them in half with a 12 gauges... and then yell ''NOW YOU KNOW WHAT IS EVIL R@$ARDS''.

-------------------------------------

Before: developers loved games and made money.

Now: developers love money and make games.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by Aevenath
    A vampire MMO based off of the World of Darkness ruleset with multiple races such as Brujah, Tremere, etc.=Hell yes.
    A vampire MMO with shiny vampires and werewolves=lolno.

World of Darkness yes please, now! there have been rumors, oh pleeeaaase!

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by Tolroc

Would I play a Twilight MMO? No. Would my teenage daughter play it? Yes, if I let her.

You neither understand your daughter nor the appeal of Twilight.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by saker

Originally posted by Aevenath

A vampire MMO based off of the World of Darkness ruleset with multiple races such as Brujah, Tremere, etc.=Hell yes.

A vampire MMO with shiny vampires and werewolves=lolno.

World of Darkness yes please, now! there have been rumors, oh pleeeaaase!

This game is being made by CCP. They aren't using the Old World of Darkness as White Wolf consideres that setting dead. They are using the new WoD and Vampire: The Requiem as the setting.

ccpgames.com/worldofdarkness/default.asp

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez