Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most MMORPGs aren't even MMORPGs anymore

Comments

• jadoncjadonc Member Posts: 136

I agree with the OP. I am surprised they didnt call Modern Warfare 2 an MMO cause it has a ladder system.

Make a fancy lobby with a ladder system and boom they stamp it an MMO.

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by jadonc

I agree with the OP. I am surprised they didnt call Modern Warfare 2 an MMO cause it has a ladder system.

Make a fancy lobby with a ladder system and boom they stamp it an MMO.

The "MMO" part of MW2 is their leveling system... not that I agree that it should be considered an MMO, because it shouldn't.

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Just to avoid retyping in case you miss it. Read my post on this page Ginkeq.  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/263982/page/11

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

yep i agre with you totally OP.GAME MAKER ARE TRUELLY SILLY!

wow stopped doing world event and instanced everything after vanilla wow every fucking game made exept a very few

went instancing .guildwars was instanced and is going in between like vanilla wow was

full instance is bad ,but full world might be bad also .WOW HAD THE PERFECT WAY IN VANILLA

the problem they never design their server for more then 200 vs 200 in world fight so they begun to have massive problem

with the missvie fight ,athene tried to oranise an event this week-end in wow un official number say there was 11 000 player waiting to login as instructed athene had repetedly spoke with blizzard about world event issue

and blizzard lied to athene or ignored him since they had decided to go full instance like guild wars

so when athene did try to do the biggest fight in history of wow ,they never had the chance

lock limit on the total number orf player only work if your loging in (athene didnt knew that)

ghe was banking on the idea the lock limit would kick  in at say a x amount on a given map

it never did so the whole server crashed

im sorry to say op to get what we had in vanilla wow or any other game in the past that had world event instead of instanced

will require design change ,like the use of microsoftdonnybrook

no amount of wishfull thinking will make it happen by magic

but then no surprise here

take everquest !the designer were aiming for 70 k if they were able to reach one day 70000 player everquest would be a success

they had 50000 at lunch lol they had to work furiously to extend lot of design because player played 18 hours a day(game wasnt design for that lol

its probably same with wow i wonder how many player wow was aiming at start

some player dont like world because of the ganking part wich is understandable

but the fact is often those game had design flaw that made the game bad

today they would have ways to prevent ganking wich would make world mmo very good

thats why i believe half/half like vanilla wow was the best

you had instanced raid if that was your thing

you had world raid pvp if thats what was your buzz

good for everybody.blizzard removed that choice because server just cant handle(yes even today )a fight with 1000 vs 1000 player or even more

that what scare blizzard,blizzard derail a lot of tread to try to show it isnt so but so far they never even spoke about this problem

of caurse they dont want to speake about it ,they cant fix it its a design flaw they cant fix from what i heard

they would have to do major re-design to their server system and all

so instead they went the easy way in ,they copied guild wars way they instanced or phazed everything to make not everybody is on the same map so server dont crash

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

drbaltazar, every time you bring this up I basically say "nobody cares", and point to the fact that WOW has tremendous appeal without offering 1000v1000 fights.

Again, you're using a hammer to unscrew your videocard (the wrong tool/game for the job) and I'm telling you (and Athene), "UR DOING IT WRONG!"  But I suppose you're like Ginkeq: immune to reason and just here to complain or troll.

Ivaldyr basically has the thread on lockdown.  Carry on.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by Nightbringe1

Capitalism is voting with you wallet.
    You'll notice most games released in the last 5 years have rapidly lost subscriptions soon after release. In my opionion this is due to the lack of open world, the sense of adventure, and the fact that heavily instanced games fail to develope meaningul communities.

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, it is a rather unique view of things. Most players, developers and people in the industry have attributed it to broken mechanics, missing features, rushed delivery, and lack of content or content gaps in critical areas.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • thorosuchthorosuch Member UncommonPosts: 127

I agree with OP. There are a few though, search them out.

@ WSIMike...yeah...I think the journey, the exploration is the most fun...what's going on with people?

Getting old is mandatory...growing up is optional.

• GinkeqGinkeq Member Posts: 615
    Originally posted by StevieHmself

Devs make Instanced MMO's cus thats what the people want. its called Capitalism. a few companies step up to cater the minoritys (in this case Darkfall sorta games) while the majority cater to the majority. what are you complaining about man?

Who wants them?

WoW is only popular because it was the first big MMO released at the same time that EQ was dying.

If a good MMORPG was released with lots of WORLD CONTENT as opposed to instances, there would be a demand for that.  The companies are just cheap these days, they want to save money.  They don't want to provide MORE content so they give everyone a copy of cheap content.   WoW is a cheap game and not an MMORPG anymore.  It used to be somewhat of an MMO back when they had more world content, but they've taken the cheap route and instanced their whole game so it's more like GuildWars or D2 than a true MMO.

And to Axehilt:

Yeah, you and Ilvadyr like to make useless posts that have nothing to do with the topic.

Why don't you go to a star wars forum if half your posts are going to be about a star wars character

Originally posted by Ginkeq

There are just no more Worlds anymore in MMORPGs.  
    Everything is being instanced, how do companies get away with labeling their game as an MMORPG when there is nothing massive about it anymore?
    Generally, the only zones that are not instanced are the unimportant zones.  A town might not be instanced, or newbie zones that tend to be barren.  
    All of the zones that have loot, etc. are being instanced.  PvP is instanced, and so is PVE.
    So why do people continue to call these imposter of games MMORPGS?  No game with instancing is an MMORPG.  There are just no worlds anymore.  So my question is when is the next real MMORPG coming out?  

your absolutely right!even arenanet didnt dare call guildwars an mmorpg,they had called it a corpg if i recall

at least if the game maker called them morpg then i would say they are fairly acurate .but when they add the MASSIVE word

thats when the player wonder ,where is the massive part in this game!

• r0hitr0hit Member Posts: 64

How are you supposed to 'raid' or do 'dungeons' without instancing?

(serious question)

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I side with Axehilt and Ivaldyr.

Who the hell cares if the current MMORPGs don't fit the definition that someone made up 10 years ago? As long as they're fun I DON'T CARE! If instances are more fun, make them. In the end we're here to have fun. Instances bring many good things with them - you're a fool to think they are only bad.

This purist crap is very frustrating. Reminds me of deeply religious folk. You make a statement which you present it like it is one of the truths in the universe. You are only stating your opinion - remember that. If you want me to take your opinion as my own, you need to do a hell of a lot more than you've done in the past. Being like a broken record and repeating the same thing over and over will not cut it. If you really want to deliver and spread your message, you should really think through your argument. I'm willing to change my opinion only if you present enough reasoning for me to do it.

And these extreme examples like MW2 being an MMO are ridiculous. They bring no value to the discussion whatsoever.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

quirhid,its no biggy,i just wish the industry would change the term they use .if its an morpg ok say it like it is.

if its a mmorpg like eve cool.but saying its a mmorpg when its in fact a morpg make player buying the wrong game

and thats false advertising.can i buy a mmorpg when i want one and not a morpg thats all most ask 

its like buying a real time strategy game when you want to play corpg like guild wars

player just want the proper name for x,y,z game so that they dont buy the wrong product .too often we end up with the wrong product because of this.

oh brand it mmorpg even if its a rts by the time they see it we ll have sold houdred of thousand.its just not right

Originally posted by r0hit

How are you supposed to 'raid' or do 'dungeons' without instancing?
    (serious question)

It is done by spawncamping the mobs in the non-instanced dungeon. Some might call this farming. People forgive this if there is a chance to do PvP and fight over these spawns. Some think it is foolish and boring. Others find it... well... better than the alternative, I believe.

If there's no-one farming in the dungeon, you can raid normally but you have to watch your back for the respawning mobs and possible hostile players.

Forgive my bias.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

quirhid,its no biggy,i just wish the industry would change the term they use .if its an morpg ok say it like it is.
    if its a mmorpg like eve cool.but saying its a mmorpg when its in fact a morpg make player buying the wrong game
    and thats false advertising.can i buy a mmorpg when i want one and not a morpg thats all most ask 
    its like buying a real time strategy game when you want to play corpg like guild wars
    player just want the proper name for x,y,z game so that they dont buy the wrong product .too often we end up with the wrong product because of this.
    oh brand it mmorpg even if its a rts by the time they see it we ll have sold houdred of thousand.its just not right

A few unhappy forumites don't get to define what MMORPG means.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift

Then you only have to accept that the definion is very broad these days. You could partly blame the marketing - MMO(RPG) is such a hot thing these days.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

think about WoW example

World of warcraft adventuring shoot em up  item collecting game  ASEUICG

that kind of name wont sell much

MMORPG = $$$

Generation P

• Andr4599Andr4599 Member Posts: 99

OP, who are you to decide what a mmo is ??

OP's only purpose on this site is to flame wow.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Everything is being instanced, how do companies get away with labeling their game as an MMORPG when there is nothing massive about it anymore?
    Generally, the only zones that are not instanced are the unimportant zones.  A town might not be instanced, or newbie zones that tend to be barren.  
    All of the zones that have loot, etc. are being instanced.  PvP is instanced, and so is PVE.
    So why do people continue to call these imposter of games MMORPGS?  No game with instancing is an MMORPG.  There are just no worlds anymore.  So my question is when is the next real MMORPG coming out?  

2009 had at least one mmorpg that have one enormous non instance world that looks beautifull Darkfall:)

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

Originally posted by Quirhid

Then you only have to accept that the definion is very broad these days. You could partly blame the marketing - MMO(RPG) is such a hot thing these days.

i have to say your 100 % on that one because when marketing engine start wrong or right they couldnt care less ,espacially when its an online game

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827
    Originally posted by Ilvaldyr

Instancing is here to stay; move with the times, or don't .. the choice is yours.

But don't expect anyone (especially MMO developers) to care about a steadily dwindling minority of "old school" forum posters who can barely agree on what day it is, let alone what should define a "true MMO".

The only true MMO is the one that sells well. It's a cruel world.

That will eventually be downfall off whole genre lol .

Right listend to guys like you and we have soon brainless instance so called mmo's that need no thinking at all or exploring just take player by hand lead him through game in his own privated instance solo or friends.

Right thats future you hope makes it:(

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• MikailaMikaila Member UncommonPosts: 45

Everything is seemingly turning out like Guild Wars. With the major difference that Guild Wars has no monthly fee.

While I don't mind some instances, I agree that the huge amount of instances in most MMOs nowadays is kinda saddening.

There must be a nice delicate balance. LotRO is doing it right. It has plenty of instances, but they are within a major world and certainly help with the otherwise disability of completing quests.  

• Andr4599Andr4599 Member Posts: 99

wow is instanced, in a extreamly smart way. Its the furture, you old elfs need to adept the thing called 'Progress'.

• pojungpojung Member Posts: 810

This post is seemingly parallel to the general 'Disappointing Year for MMORPGs' made by one of the columnists.

I do agree that of late, there is little 'journey', little 'roleplay' these days. Either it's instant gratification or it's a tedious grind. Only the first half of the 6 digits is properly represented.

While some games do focus on immersion, many of them (subjectivity here:) I feel are 'tired' IPs: LOTRO, DND. Albeit FFXIV is on the horizon, and they mix it up with each installment, it, too, bares 'used' elements.

That is exactly right, and we're not saying NO to save WoW, because it is already a lost cause. We are saying NO to dissuade the next group of greedy suits who decide to emulate Blizzard and Cryptic, etc.
    We can prevent some of the future games from spewing this crap, but the sooner we start saying no, the better the results will be.
    So - Stand up, pull up your pants, and walk away.
    - MMO_Doubter

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

Lets set some thing straight: we are ALL in the minority.  Every one posting on this forum is in the minority, no matter what your opinion may be.  The majority in the genre (the WoW generation) doesn't have an opinion.  Most probably aren't even aware of different MMO sub-classes out there...they just play WoW.

They don't play WoW because it has instancing or quests or what ever, they play WoW because it's Blizzard, it's polished, and it has a massive marketing campaign.  If they happen to stick around the genre post WoW, then they might have an opinion on these things.

• demcdemc Member Posts: 292

You are looking in the wrong place to find what you want.

MMORPGs are games. They have finite linear paths with predefined classes and levels so therefore they would follow the path of instancing to sate the gamer. The gamer wants to be able to level up and not be interfered with. The gamer wants to be able to get to the ending of a quest chain that follows this linear path without being interrupted by others. The gamer is the one that makes the demands on the developer to make the GAME what it is. The developer wants to make a ROI that is significant so therefore will bend to the gamer. Those like you THAT have the same interest are a minority in MMORPGs!

With that said,

Maybe what you want is a different type of so called game. Maybe you want what I coin a Massive Online Virtual World? The world is open and HUGE. In a world such as this the path is undefined. The path is defined by the person behind the avatar and not by the developer and the quests are multi-path so the outcome is determined by the player. there are no levels ever. The world is influenced by the player and reacts to the player. The world is the players domain.

With that said,

I wish you a lot of luck finding such a game.

No investor will touch it because it is a niche game so funds are impossible to obtain. No developers will assist with it because they want to change it to holy grail of gaming rules or they want a ton of cash up front. Most experienced developers don't think it would be fun since it is not going to grab 12 million subscribers. It has been ignored by even the community.