Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: A Twilight MMO: Why the Hate?

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by greed0104

Twilight sucks

well, its a film/book series thats aimed at young girls or something, not your atypical MMO demographic, when you get down to it, anyone not in that category probably sees the films/books as what they are, utter rubbish..  not that it matters, by the time the next hannah montanna/high school musical thingy comes out they'll have forgotten all about it anyway.  

• voodookhanvoodookhan Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by brostyn

Some moron comes up with an idea about fairy vampires that glitter in sunlight and make love to tweens, and you ask WHY THE HATE?

Pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. I am not opposed to an Vampire MMO using vampiric lore other than the standard Bram Stoker's Dracula (or even Anne Rice's vampires). There is a ton of vampire (and werewolf) lore out there from various countries that can be used (and tweaked) to make a decent MMO. However, the Twilight writer's version of vampires makes me ill. At least I could credit some of the Harry Potter books with containing decent writing, but the Twilight books are just abysmal and hardly worth a movie, no less an MMO. I'll be glad when Twilight's 15-minutes of fame is over.

--------------
    Played: Age of Conan, DDO, Saga of Ryzom, SWG, DaOC, MxO, EQ2, and so on...
    Wish List: Jumpgate Evolution, Star Wars: TOR, Star Trek

• IrishIrish Member UncommonPosts: 259

A Twilight MMO could be the greatest and most perfect execution of an MMO, technically speaking. I still wouldn't touch it. It's not an IP suitable for a game. No self-respecting man would. The only way I see any men playing it is after the flood of real life women start playing it- then all the interweb creepers will slither in.

Quest: "QQ"

Your vampire boyfriend has left you. Mope in your bedroom for several weeks and question your physical appearance.

Quest Reward: Sparkling Glitter Makeup +4 sluttiness -2 judgment

*edited for my poor spelling.

• sokkyusokkyu Member Posts: 92

I believe OP is just trollan.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Lke you said for the teenagers.   A lot of us older gamers are like ok been there done that.  Dont need any teen age movie stars and if I did it would be harry potter.

Sorry 45 old, mean, and just in a bad mood.  Honestly I really dont want or need to go plan an mmo where i got to be changing some kids pampers because he never played an mmo before.  

Pluss we already have wow.

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

Vampire legends have been around a long time and vary by region.

Many vampires were unharmed by daylight. That part was apparently created by the movie "Nosferatu" in a bid to legally differentiate it from Dracula.

I have never heard of any vampires that glitter or sparkle in or out of the light, although the Chinese vampire has teeth and fingernails that glow in the dark.

The irresistable charm seems to be mostly a Dracula creation, although numerous vampires seduced foolish humans, I can't recall any stories from before Dracula where they had a magical ability to do so.

Changing into bats. Total Dracula.

Sucking blood. This varied by region, many of them consumed (in various ways) the life force of their victim.

How to kill a vampire varied greatly by region, if I remember correctly, one of the big ways from Europe was to put a hawthorne stake through the heart, cut the head off, put holy wafers in the mouth, sew it shut, seal it in a casket, and throw it into a river. You may then burn the body. But this varied even in Europe by century and location. Other regions had numerous other methods.

Big point here, vampires are supposed to be dark, gritty, horrifying, evil, murderous monsters born of dead people. Not something for you to fantasize about having sex with, as Hollywood (and certain writers) have tried to do. Next thing you know, they'll be doing a werewolf 'dog' show, and sell pink rinestone encrusted leashes for them... Cute werewolf plushies that howl when you turn the lights on or something....

(One small personal note. I hate all that teenie angstie stuff. "Oh I want to have sex with him, but I can't, but I want to..." Blech! It's utterly repulsive. Kick the girl in the head and tell her to either go for it or give up, and if she actually tries, laugh when she discovers that the undead don't have enough blood pressure for an erection. Something about a heart that doesn't beat...)

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• PudsyPudsy Member Posts: 34

If this actually ever comes into existance,

someone will have to be held responsible for the increase of sucides among this world

Lets just.... accpet that their is no way to get rid of this EPIC twilight pharse, amongst all the teenage girls... lets just let it run its course and it be over in about a year...

Not to keep this crap active with a MMO :(

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462
    Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Sooooo, you would endorse a HighSchool Musical MMO?

Didn't think so...

Oooh, that I would play. Can I have a chainsaw? Or a machinegun?

High School Musical, not High School Massacre.

• hogscraperhogscraper Member Posts: 322
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

It seems more approriate for a Facebook addon.

That was exactly what I was thinking!  I wouldn't bother playing any way, but that is where this game belongs.

• chaod1984chaod1984 Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by barasawa

Big point here, vampires are supposed to be dark, gritty, horrifying, evil, murderous monsters born of dead people. Not something for you to fantasize about having sex with, as Hollywood (and certain writers) have tried to do. Next thing you know, they'll be doing a werewolf 'dog' show, and sell pink rinestone encrusted leashes for them... Cute werewolf plushies that howl when you turn the lights on or something....

I thought hollywood/media did this with politicians?  Politician = vampire?  hmmm.....

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Comnitus

Uh, why can't it be both?

MMOs needs a healthy dose of violence.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

No.. Just no... that's my arguement.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by brostyn

Why the hate on Twilight? Are you serious?

Some moron comes up with an idea about fairy vampires that glitter in sunlight and make love to tweens, and you ask WHY THE HATE?

Vampires are blood sucking killers, that DON'T GLITTER IN THE SUN. They BURN. They don't fall in loves with tweens, they don't take on the vampire nation, and the certainly DO NOT GLITTER IN SUNLIGHT.

This book/movie has effectively killed vampire lore that has existed for thousands of years. Vampires will no longer be seen as blood sucking, vicious killers. They will be known as glittery, wonderfu,l majestic creatures that fall in love with tweens.

hmmmm, if that is going to be your criteria as to why there shouldn't be a twilight mmo then I don't think it's enough to hold water.

As vampires aren't real. I know there are some people out there who probably believe all of it is real but I'm not buying into that subscription.

Because they are not real a writer can do anything he/she likes with the subject matter.

One could take your logic and apply it to "vampires were never suave romanian counts who lived in castles but were more like disgusting monsters". But yet we have count dracula.

Or "vampires don't grow old, become powerful enough to withstand the sun and become something like a rock star" yet we have Interview with a vampire.

"Vampires don't have weird things on their heads and live in Sunnydale" but we have Buffy the Vampire slayer.

If someone wants to create their fantasy of vampires being cat people with wings who love tea then that is their prerogative. Whether it is good or not is up to personal taste.

And apparently there are a lot of tween girls and soccer moms who love twilight.

I just can't get the energy to lambaste a demographic for liking something like this because they can just as well point fingers at us for playing video games.

Despite what video game players might want to believe, even with the success of the wii and world of warcraft, a good amount of people still think it's something for kids. At least according to my friends and pretty much the majority of my former coworkers.

In any case,. vampires, werewolves, all of it can be whatever the writer wants it to be. So if they glow in sunlight then in that world they glow in sunlight.

If memory serves me, Dracula does not burn up in sunlight nor do vampires in stories before him, it just makes him weaker. So, if twilight follows a similar mode of thought then it is probably more "correct".

And apparently my second cousin is in the Edward Camp anyways.

edit: now that I think of it, Everquest has frog and rodent people. Can we really say that frog and rodent people have more cultural bang for their buck? I can't. Because they are frogs and rodents.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CirrosCirros Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Comnitus

Uh, why can't it be both?

MMOs needs a healthy dose of violence.

I have to admit that I chuckled a bit, but the ESRB would slap a game with "High School Massacre" as a theme with an AO rating, severely impacting sales in the US. 

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Screw this Twilight MMO nonsense, what's next? Alice in MMO land?

I wanna see dwarves being able to turn in Hulks and wreck havoc where ever they go :P

Now that would be a kick ass MMO.

Vampires falling in love?  *yawns*  wtf happened to teenagers? 

We need some MacGyver / A-Team MMO's,now that would rock our world up :P

Good thing with a MacGyver MMO,no matter what level you are,you can create explosives out of almost nothing

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920

To me, asking why the hate for Twilight is like asking someone why the screaming when a hot poker is jabbed in their eye.

===============================

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Absurd.

This website should be ashamed to have this on their frontpage.

Absolutely absurd.

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418
    New Moon (the second movie in the Twilight series) has grossed to date well over 250 million dollars at the box office....

Man are you behind. It has already grossed over 663.4 million dollars!

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Why not a Harry Potter MMO while we are at it?

I mean we have Lotro, books were before the movie, but an mmo came out after the movies?

Matrix Online, gone now

What other ones can we come up with?  I am stumped at the moment

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• ArchemorousArchemorous Member Posts: 197

Well, to be honest, the only way I see our of this is to go back in time, kill Stephanie Meyer, come back and... just... enjoy life I guess.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

b/c they should be focus on school than playing mmo.

• mszvmszv Member Posts: 41

The Twilight books and movies aren't my thing, but there are people whose judgement I respect who really like them.    As popular culture goes, I think it's fine.

I think doing a vampire themed MMO in the twilight world is a fantastic idea, assuming you can pull it off and pull in people who would be interested.  I'm still having trouble understanding the hate.  It is the genre, the demographic of people who like the Twilight books and movies?  Is it that you don't want an MMO to appeal to (mostly) teen girls and adult women -- not all teen girls and adult women, of course, but the ones who like the Twilight genre.  

I play MMOs, rather casually I might add.  I enjoy them,  but I think the current crop is restrictive in what you do.  I happen to like the fantasy genre, but most of the MMORPG fantasy genre tends to be very similar in its "high fantasy" approach.    I'm all for opening up the genre, and I mean really opening it up, to all different sorts of people, different settings, different stories.  I think that's a good thing.

Of course, to do this, you'd have to get someone who appreciated the twilight saga, probably not the author of this article. You make a good product from a genre by respecting a genre.

A facebook thing does seem like a good idea, but I think a standard MMO setting, with better graphics and different sorts of gameplay, that could work too.  Excellent idea.

Regards,
    mszv

• fallenmooglafallenmoogla Member Posts: 11

There are Vampire MMOs out there, but aimed towards guys, not tween girls. (EX. Dark Eden) If these MMOs gave a push towards the tween market I think they could be much more succesful.

• ArchemorousArchemorous Member Posts: 197
    Originally posted by mszv

The Twilight books and movies aren't my thing, but there are people whose judgement I respect who really like them.    As popular culture goes, I think it's fine.
    I think doing a vampire themed MMO in the twilight world is a fantastic idea, assuming you can pull it off and pull in people who would be interested.  I'm still having trouble understanding the hate.  It is the genre, the demographic of people who like the Twilight books and movies?  Is it that you don't want an MMO to appeal to (mostly) teen girls and adult women -- not all teen girls and adult women, of course, but the ones who like the Twilight genre.  
    I play MMOs, rather casually I might add.  I enjoy them,  but I think the current crop is restrictive in what you do.  I happen to like the fantasy genre, but most of the MMORPG fantasy genre tends to be very similar in its "high fantasy" approach.    I'm all for opening up the genre, and I mean really opening it up, to all different sorts of people, different settings, different stories.  I think that's a good thing.
    Of course, to do this, you'd have to get someone who appreciated the twilight saga, probably not the author of this article. You make a good product from a genre by respecting a genre.
    A facebook thing does seem like a good idea, but I think a standard MMO setting, with better graphics and different sorts of gameplay, that could work too.  Excellent idea.

The thing with twilight fans is that they are not really fans. They are just girls mooning over shirtless dudes. I never read the books because I sort of anticipated the awfullness, and the movies are well made, considering the material. The characters are just bad, the story is bad and the acting is, for the most part, bad. This is what is wrong with the saga.

Oh and vampires dont sparkle.

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Archemorous

Originally posted by mszv

The thing with twilight fans is that they are not really fans. They are just girls mooning over shirtless dudes. I never read the books because I sort of anticipated the awfullness, and the movies are well made, considering the material. The characters are just bad, the story is bad and the acting is, for the most part, bad. This is what is wrong with the saga.

Oh and vampires dont sparkle.

Oh, have you seen a vampire before?

Also, it's not just girls who like twilight. I am a straight dude and I enjoy the story. Granted I don't like the movies very much, but the books are great!