Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hardware for WoW

2»

Comments

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by angerbeaver
    Does the Windows7 version really matter? I chose www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx which is Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders. They had tons of options and this one sounded the best lol
    options -> www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx

Yea just get Home Premium 64-bit, only thing you're missing out on really is virtual WinXP mode and the built in VPN server but you can get free VPN software anyway.

You can get Win7 for $30 ($40 CAD) if you have a .edu email address, and australia.edu lets you sign up for a free .edu email address that I used to buy Win7 Professional for $30 myself.

I didn't try the key yet so I'm not sure if it only works for upgrading WinXP/Vista or a clean install works too but it's easy enough to get any XP key off an old PC just to use for upgrade anyway.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Not sure if it matters...I pre-ordered Win 7 months before the release date . I think I paid $50.00. It was an upgrade version...but due to a power outage...my system was left in a perpetual OS rollback loop...so I clean installed from the same disks. The only thing  I imagine might be different between an Upgrade version and the full install disks is the install time. The upgrade version may have to download more files...I'm no expert on that matter though. All I know is my Windows 7 has no issues...yet.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Originally posted by noquarter

The processor is just fine for WoW, but you can get an Athlon 245 X2 for just $3 more, or better yet a 435 X3 or 620 X4 for $20-$40 more. NVidia hardware does seem to run WoW a little better than equivalent ATI hardware so I'd try to do a build with a 9800GT or at least a 9600GT, the 9400GT is terrible.

I will say, you aren't getting a good deal. The place is definitely charging about $250 to assemble, unless there's a monitor/mouse/keyboard included. If you are comfortable assembling yourself you could put together through Newegg:

Athlon X3 435 $90 (WoW likes clock speed more than cores, this gives you a 3rd core for background tasks but the X2 550 $100 would be faster for JUST WoW)

AM3 Motherboard $90 (AM3 has a $20 premium over AM2+ boards but supports DDR3)

4GB DDR3 1600 $80 (DDR3 is same price as DDR2 now so might as well get an AM3 mobo and use it)

500GB HD $55

9800GT $100 (9400GT is crap, Radeon 5x00 DX11 are the way to go but none cheap enough till next month and WoW doesn't need them)

OCZ 550W PSU $60

DVD Drive $30

Win7 $100 (or $30 with a .edu email)

Case $50

For roughly $650 USD, I assume that's just about the same in CAD since last time I checked newegg.ca CAD prices were just about the same cuz our dollars are just about equal now.

Thanks, this was particularly helpful! This is my first attempt at building my own. I'll list the parts I put in my cart (if you wouldn't mind, what cabling is also required? Do these usually come with the cabling or do I buy that seperately?)

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive (69.99)

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail (99.99)

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMD4GX3M2A1600C8 - Retail (100.99)

AMD Athlon II X3 435 2.9GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor Model ADX435WFGIBOX - Retail (she'll use it for other stuff so I'll take the hit to WoW performance)

GIGABYTE GV-N98TOC-1GI Rev 2.0 GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Retail (wasnt sure if the 512MB or 1GB would make huge difference, went with 1GB model) (137)

OCZ 550W PSU (118)

LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM (23.99)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM ($121)

Any suggestions for a case? I'd hate to buy a case that doesn't fit all of these lol.

I highlighted the things you should watch out for.  At $137 the 9800GT isn't a buy.  The 9800 is only an option if it is less then 104 CAD.  At 104 CAD is when the HD4770 is purchasable which is a better performer then the 9800.  At over 130 CAD is the HD4850 which is a better performer then the 9800GT+ and GTS250.  Also 118 CAD for a 550w PSU, 118!!!  The AMD Athlon II models have no L3 cache which makes them un-ideal passed 2 cores. 

Judging from this I would swap in these components for a more balanced build.  I will keep them same price, but weighted differently.

I recommend this case Apex Vortex 42.99 CAD.  I usually recommend strictly full towers that will have some edits, but at that price and amount of components, its not too advantageous.  The thing I like about this case is its Black Finish, price, and positive reviews.

You should have everything you need to construct your first PC aside from a philips head screw driver.  I would print a guide, but its pretty much fool proof with the selected components.  Nothing that gets tricky.  I would get some plastic ties to keep things organized on the inside.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

I'll get some pics eventually, but it put together nicely! Sadly I didn't get the last two posts so I bought the parts I listed, but it runs lotro and WoW on ultra High in raids with no lag. She's happy, I'm happy when I can ninja it.

I'm also very surprised I didn't screw up the wiring or the board with electric shocks....happily surprised :)

Thanks to everyone for the help! I'll be building #2 in the near future (was a lot of fun!)

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Hi all,
    I was looking to buy my gf a pc for WoW (incl all current expansions). I got a quote from a local retailer and wanted to know if this will
    1) Play WoW decently on medium -> high graphics and
    2) be worth the cost
    AMD Athlon II X2 240 Dual Core Processor Socket AM3 2.8GHZ 2MB Cache 65W (ADX240OCGQBOX)

Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2P AM2 

Raidmax 600W Aurora II 2.0V

160GB SATAII 7200PRM 8MB

LG GH22NS50 22X/22X DVD-RW

MSI Gforce9400GT 1GB 550MHz

Kingston 800Mhz 2x2GB DDR2

Microsoft Windows 7 Home
    $857 CAD
    If you have any recommendations to alter the package, please let me know a suggested part and why it would be better.

watch the special my brother baught today a phenom x4 925, vista 64,1t byte hd,1g ati graphic card ,8 gig of ram ddr2

for 800 $ canadian.it was at bureau en gros(they got it in english also its called staple if i recall )check a bit more if your not in a hurry.