Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: A Twilight MMO: Why the Hate?

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I personally think that World of darkness will make a lot better MMO (because the lore is perfect for a MMO, the conflicts between Vampires, werewolves, mages and humans in the white wolf IP should make an interesting game) but I don't see any problem with a twilight MMO.

Teenage girls needs some MMOs also, if you don't like  it don't play it (I wont, but I will play WoDO if CCP ever finish it).

I think it is a good idea with MMOs targeted at specific crowds, and even though I don't care about sparkly vampires myself I think that MMOs should try to be more specific.

Why try to put all kinds of MMO players in the same game when it only leads to conflicts and compromises?

People are just so selfish, all games should be their kind.

• krowxxviikrowxxvii Member Posts: 177

No.... just no, absolutely not. Never. Even considering this is a testament to human stupidity.

You can't use the tools if you don't know they exist...
    http://www.ic3.gov - Internet Crime Complaint Center - Report cyber crimes to the FBI.

http://www.spamcop.net - SpamCop.net - Report spam and scam emails.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/ - Network Solutions WHOIS - Investigate and reveal suspcious websites.

• Vulnero87Vulnero87 Member Posts: 182

I would have no problem with a vampire or warewolf mmo, but to say that a Twilight MMO should be made is just well......stupid.  Any MMO that's based off a author's fantasy should never see the light of day.  The fact that these books came to pass as movies is beyond me.  The actors and the directors barely like, if not they hate the books and even say they're terrible. 

The only people I have seen and heard of that actually like the books or movies are usually woman.  They don't even quote the books or movies and don't even say anything about the acting, plot, etc.  They just say they think the actors are hot and wish they were the main character, whatever her name is.  Not to mention the main character vampire is supposed to be a 100 year old virgin, which is wrong on so many levels. 

If you ask anybody that has read the books and/or seen the movies and they actually talk about points that really matter, they say it's terrible.  Plot, acting, story, how it's written, etc. are all bad.  Then again I've never seen or read the books.  I'm only going by what people have said and actually consider certian peoples points valid.  Those are people who aren't drooling over it or wish they were the main girl.

Everyone has opinions, but does that make them the universal truth??? NO!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Sooooo, you would endorse a HighSchool Musical MMO?

Didn't think so...

Oooh, that I would play. Can I have a chainsaw? Or a machinegun?

• ArchemorousArchemorous Member Posts: 197

A supernatural universe I really like is the Nightwatch series by Sergey Lukyanenko. It also has vampires, werewolves and mages. Im not familiar with world of darkness, but after reading just a little about, Im finding the Nightwatch novels have alot in common with it.

• phoboxphobox Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by Loke666

Didn't think so...

What, no van with "Free candy" on the side?

http://static.pyzam.com/img/funnypics/misc/free_candy_van.jpg

I seek to find the Perfect MMO, do you have what I seek?

• blooblobblooblob Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by phobox

Originally posted by Loke666

Didn't think so...

What, no van with "Free candy" on the side?

http://static.pyzam.com/img/funnypics/misc/free_candy_van.jpg

I totally call the van driver class!

• PagoasPagoas Member UncommonPosts: 120

i don't know.  it'd have to be a whole lot more homoerotic to offset the flaccid-inducing bella to suck me in.  maybe more dante's cove and less fingernail-screeching-across-the-vacant-eyed-angst-riddled-post-pubescent-girl.

• Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380

Here's some reasons why I think a Twilight MMO would be one of the worst things ever:

1) The Community: It'd be filled with whiney, angsty teens who would complain about why they aren't Bella or Edward and demand that the ability to play as those characters be a core feature in the game. They would go on about how their existence is so painful and stressful, how hard it is to be a teenager in this normal world. They wouldn't play the game but would endlessly moan about why they think their Mary Sue should be the dull and lifeless cheese to Edward's cracker.

There would also be a very low combined IQ of all the players as teenagers are not only dopey and angsty but are relatively dense in the general scheme of things.

2) The Story Itself: One of the worst vampire rip-offs I have ever had the misfortune of knowing about. These aren't real vampires and werewolves. These are sparkling, pale immortals who go against pretty much everything a vampire is, and the werewolves are not werewolves but humans who can shapeshift into wolves, just plain old giant wolves.The transformation is instant and has no side effects other than being a cheesy CG animal.

The vampires don't seem to be affected much by any of the traditional weaknesses such as sunlight (they don't burn or feel pain from it), holy water (that I know of), garlic, or a stake to the heart. They can cross running water and enter any home or building they see fit, and I am pretty sure they cast shadows and reflections. These aren't creatures of the night, they're creatures of a silly girl's dreams. Stephanie Meyer, you should be ashamed.

3) The Mechanics: You'd either have a WoW-clone wrapped in a Twilight skin, or something akin to Aion without wings and set of course on Earth in the Twilight universe. I can't see anything new being done with this unless they took the sandbox approach. Either way, I don't think it would be appealing to any serious MMO gamer, and god forbid any roleplayers (Twilight fanbots who call themselves roleplayers don't count, and yes I am talking to the idiots on Second Life).

Overall I think this is a bad idea because it is once again catering to the mainstream media crowd and people who are part of that crowd are typically mentally challenged in some way or another. Sure, it'd make a ton of money for whoever makes it and for Queen Meyer herself, but it'd kill any and all faith real gamers have left in developers. Complete MMO market meltdown, anyone?

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

will probably be a tinseltown tweengasm visible from space.

Thats why the hate.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by Mystik86

Overall I think this is a bad idea because it is once again catering to the mainstream media crowd and people who are part of that crowd are typically mentally challenged in some way or another. Sure, it'd make a ton of money for whoever makes it and for Queen Meyer herself, but it'd kill any and all faith real gamers have left in developers. Complete MMO market meltdown, anyone?

Flame on, I say!

The industry needs a painful die-off to teach it some lessons about artistic responsibility and professional ethics.

Which game will be the next ET?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by Mystik86

Flame on, I say!

The industry needs a painful die-off to teach it some lessons about artistic responsibility and professional ethics.

Which game will be the next ET?

I'm actually hoping to see the complete meltdown of the MMO industry so the developers can learn their lessons, run home with their tails between their legs and contemplate why they fail so hard. Then make a glorious comeback with all the things we want and need in this genre of gaming!

Take out the romance, too. Then perhaps it could be slightly above complete trash...

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

I think a Twilight MMO would be totally awesome!!!! Think of the cool possibilities.

Character classes: You could choose between playing a “Moody girl” or a “Sulky Girl”

Instead of exp you would gain ‘love points’ for every Vampire or Werewolf you could get to fall in love with you.

Instead of logging off you would find an upstairs window and just stare moodily out it while you are AFK and gain angst points. (Angst points is what you spend on your abilities)

And think of the epic battles you would watch between good Vampires and bad Vampires while cowering in a corner or running away.

Abilities: Taunt and cower, hide and cower, runaway, Turn away Vampire that loves you, Turn away Werewolf that loves you and smell like blood.

• orioniteorionite Member UncommonPosts: 139

Every time someone brings up an IP or just some new way of doing things in the MMO space, the discussions start whether this should be... what? Allowed? Endorsed? Banned? Prohibited? Who are you (i.e. we) to tell people what games to make or play? Apparently, there are people playing games like RF Online or Lineage, which I personally (see: opinion!) find to be incredibly boring and/or unappealing. So what? Their game/lifestyle choices have no impact on me. Why should I get worked up about it.

Instead of flaming World of Twilight Online Universe because you don't like the IP or the target audience, why not discuss how this game could be made good. Maybe you can't press this IP into the traditional level/loot based MMORPG mold. Maybe there is a format that would appeal to 'mums and daughters'. Be creative, not destructive. If you have nothing to interesting to add, why not just move on to another thread.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Originally posted by orionite

Every time someone brings up an IP or just some new way of doing things in the MMO space, the discussions start whether this should be... what? Allowed? Endorsed? Banned? Prohibited? Who are you (i.e. we) to tell people what games to make or play? Apparently, there are people playing games like RF Online or Lineage, which I personally (see: opinion!) find to be incredibly boring and/or unappealing. So what? Their game/lifestyle choices have no impact on me. Why should I get worked up about it.
    Instead of flaming World of Twilight Online Universe because you don't like the IP or the target audience, why not discuss how this game could be made good. Maybe you can't press this IP into the traditional level/loot based MMORPG mold. Maybe there is a format that would appeal to 'mums and daughters'. Be creative, not destructive. If you have nothing to interesting to add, why not just move on to another thread.

The topic was, why the hate,  theres no reason to talk about what could make the game good or bad.  You want to make the game good? Don't make it a twilight MMO.  That would be step 1.  When you do something, anything really, and you're shooting for a potential demographic, you hope to hit your mark for your vision to be successful.  An MMO based on a teen vampire romance novel is not a good idea. The question was, why the hate? Well this is why.  I also didn't hear any constructive criticism coming from you.

• HypeHype Member CommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by Stradden 
    Read A Twilight MMO: Why the Hate?

You sir, are an evil genius. "Robbing" from the rich (frenzied tweens) to feed the poor (hardcore gamers) is just plain brilliant.  You pointed out all the major highlights of what is truly wrong with this property, and found an inventive answer to the million dollar question. KuDOS.

But, fanboys are really good at hating certain things, anything targeted at people with an age lower than 16, is despised on fanboy principle, regardless of any redeeming value it may have, even if its just fiscal.

The Illusion of Choice

• Vulnero87Vulnero87 Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by orionite

Awwww someones hurt that people aren't being positive about his favorite movie/book!

Everyone has opinions, but does that make them the universal truth??? NO!

• NatedogNatedog Member Posts: 22

Twilight was missing one thing from the movies------------Wesley Snipes

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by brostyn

Why the hate on Twilight? Are you serious?

Some moron comes up with an idea about fairy vampires that glitter in sunlight and make love to tweens, and you ask WHY THE HATE?

Vampires are blood sucking killers, that DON'T GLITTER IN THE SUN. They BURN. They don't fall in loves with tweens, they don't take on the vampire nation, and the certainly DO NOT GLITTER IN SUNLIGHT.

This book/movie has effectively killed vampire lore that has existed for thousands of years. Vampires will no longer be seen as blood sucking, vicious killers. They will be known as glittery, wonderfu,l majestic creatures that fall in love with tweens.

I've said this in another post,but I'll repeat it here... It's funny that players are tired of the same ole, same ole when it comes to MMORPG's quest's, gameplay, GUI, etc, etc, but don't want change when it comes to classic creatures, IE Vampires...

Sure gaming companies, writers, etc can change Dwarves, Elves, etc, but you better keep your hands off my vampires! Too funny.

• KnightcryKnightcry Member Posts: 168

Make the game! It will draw all of the a-s-l looking for love, lets fall in love, and/or lets play house in mmos. I f@cking hate that. I also agree on an Vampire MMO like some stated in the first two pages. Human vs Vamp vs Werewolf  vs Gnomes(they will be looked at as a food source to be traded). Humans could get a bonus to wood attack in the morning and vampires would need to buy sun block.

BRUTAL LEGEND ROCKED! Get it buy it and own it.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

It's funny that players are tired of the same ole, same ole when it comes to MMORPG's quest's, gameplay, GUI, etc, etc, but don't want change when it comes to classic creatures, IE Vampires...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I am not really seeing a traditional Vampire MMO's out there. So how would creating a traditional Vampire MMO be considered the Same ole Same ole when it comes to gaming?

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Twilight sucks

• ArchemorousArchemorous Member Posts: 197
    Originally posted by greed0104

Twilight sucks

I'd pay good money to see that.

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

My biggest problem with twilight is the flood of crappy vampire books that now clog the book shelves cause publishers want a peice of the twilight pie.