Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Beta Key Sweepstakes!

AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Think you have what it takes to command your very own starship?

MMORPG.com and Cryptic Studios are pleased to present our Star Trek Online beta key sweepstakes event! From now until Jan 12 @ 9PM EST you can enter to win one of 30 beta access keys!

As with all contests at MMORPG.com we will give you bonus entry tickets the more days you login to this website.  We are offering one bonus ticket per 2 days you login to our website (see official rules for details).

CLICK HERE TO ENTER FOR A CHANCE TO WIN!  GOOD LUCK!

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Comments

• MortorinMortorin Member UncommonPosts: 46

US and Canada Only . . . again *sigh*

• MolbolMolbol Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Morton

Indeed, does anyone know why sweepstakes with items such as this is only for US and Canada?

• EqvaliserEqvaliser Member Posts: 74

US and Canada only is also the #1 reason i stopped subscription on several websites

such as fileplanet, gamespot etc..  and would never pay a subscription to this site either.

If a true Global site launches, that would be interesting.

------
    Playing MMO's since my first which was Ultima online, then Anarchy online. and so on.. ;)
    Now a days im very critical before i ewen bother downloading a Free to play mmo.

• CeddynCeddyn Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Molbol

Indeed, does anyone know why sweepstakes with items such as this is only for US and Canada?

I could understand for contests where you can win something physical that has to be mailed or sent by courrier. I really don't get why they do it for beta keys. Certainly not to make there non American readers love them more.

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

I live in Sweden and was able to enter the contest just fine. Did I miss something? ^^

• SpiritraiserSpiritraiser Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Originally posted by Lasastard

I live in Sweden and was able to enter the contest just fine. Did I miss something? ^^

Also joined.

Problem is that they will probably run it in USA times, making hard for us Europeans. Unless they use weekends ;)

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well they better give them out quick, otherwise in les than 15 days they go live for what they call early start/open beta.

• CeddynCeddyn Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Spiritraiser

Originally posted by Lasastard

Also joined.

Problem is that they will probably run it in USA times, making hard for us Europeans. Unless they use weekends ;)

The fact that the signup system does not check the country in your profile does not mean you'll be able to win. Their rules still say it's for US and Canada only. If they follow them they'll just exclude you from the draw.

It has nothing to do with timezones. On the STO site itself anyone can sign up for the beta. There is no mention about the beta being only available in certain time windows nor for certain locations. This rule is only set by this site.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I think you may want to blame the publishers and not mmorpg.com. They're the ones that are offering the beta keys and are restricting them to US /Canada not this website.

• cygnetsongcygnetsong Member Posts: 63

It's probably because they don't want the hassle of making sure that lotteries like this are legal in every country.  It's just easier to stick with countries they know (and have lawyers for).  Just a guess.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Molbol

It's because sites that are based in these two countries can only enforce rules pertaining to those areas. Where if they offered contest to people in areas where they have no right to set forward rules to that country's citizens, they could come under fire for violating their rights.

Like if I offered a contest and said people under 18 are not allowed, even if the prize is something that is child-friendly in say: China. They would argue that it's ok for their kids to enter, then I turn around and kids in the US and Canada cry foul cause here they are NOT allowed BY LAW to enter the contest even if the prize is kid-friendly.

It would turn into a huge mess because now countries are trying to dictate what can be regulated by their laws, even if the company is not based in their country.......too messy to even think about.

So most companies include the two countries that have laws that basically share the same fundamentals: US and CANADA

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• TruedgeTruedge Member Posts: 1

I signed up for this  but  honestly I think there will only be one or two weeks of closed beta left for the winners to enjoy. None the less Id like to get in and see if this game is worth getting.

• HathiHathi Member Posts: 236

1-2 week closed beta - beggars can't be chosers.

I entered

Finally - Best site for Chuck Norris
    http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

• ZorkenZorken Member UncommonPosts: 54

this is same crap they did on there own web site with the name that ship contest. thats for US only becuase they put in a piece of paper as a reward and the game.

now for you that think its the laws and all that, can some one then tell me why mmorpg have contests on there site thats open to all. like the big sweepstakes holiday event. the rules

Benjamin Franklin wrote the best quote to use for MMOs in development.
    Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

• Xanthor2Xanthor2 Member Posts: 1

Just wanted to point out that the 30 beta keys are for Open Beta  they are not even holding the drawing unitl the the 12th of January "We have received your entry form and you are now eligible to win one of the 30 prizes! We will be holding the drawing on 01/12/2010 at 9PM EST. "

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by cygnetsong

It's probably because they don't want the hassle of making sure that lotteries like this are legal in every country.  It's just easier to stick with countries they know (and have lawyers for).  Just a guess.

Pretty much this. Different countries have different laws on contests, and lottery type things. So they play it safe and abide to their own countries laws, which may cross the line for some other countries. This is mostly for contests where you win physical things, but I guess it applies to everything.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Sorry everyone, that is just a typo in the rules text, if you try to enter it will allow you from any region.  I copy the rules text from previous contests and missed deleting that part.  I have fixed the typo and you are all free to enter (you always could have).

Good luck and sorry about that!

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• ZorkenZorken Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Originally posted by Admin

Sorry everyone, that is just a typo in the rules text, if you try to enter it will allow you from any region.  I copy the rules text from previous contests and missed deleting that part.  I have fixed the typo and you are all free to enter (you always could have).

dont scare me like that

Benjamin Franklin wrote the best quote to use for MMOs in development.
    Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

• MolbolMolbol Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Admin

I am happy to see it is open to all, but actually more happy for the clear and very quick reply!

Good work I say!