Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on the Game as I Near Level 20

NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

OK as I said in my mini-review this isn't a half bad game and as I near level 20 with my toon on the PvE server (my Pvp server toon is only a lvl 15) I thought I'd throw out a few thoughts, questions.

Toon Look:  Not the toon itself as they seem to have done a good job with the character creation, but on what they wear.  Now granted I haven't left Tortage so maybe it all changes down the road, but I see the same outfit's over and over and over again.  While this isn't a big thing to many, it is REALLY big to some.  Why not have an appearance tab like LotRO or SWG?  You've got your armor on but are able to customize your toon with appearance clothes.  Heck even the opening cut screen when Conan talks about war shows that one guy with the 2 belts across his chest fighting.  I really doubt he's wearing lvl 5 frayed belt chest armor.  Come on it's based on pulp fiction, big burly warriors wearing loin clothes and curvey women wearing 2 hankies! :)

Border Pvp zones:  A few of us were chatting in game yesterday and one guy said that in the border zone it was full Pvp even on your own nation.  Since there are 3 different nations, why not do RvR faction fighting in the border zone?  You could even do the same on the Pvp servers (everywhere) and just have the Cim server as the full Pvp (blue on blue engagements) server.

And on the graphic's hog comment in my mini-review.  Like I said there's a semi-offical sticky that mentioned turning your setting to low to increase your FPS prior to playing.  Makes sense right?  Lower settings = higher FPS.  Well my son was talking to me about the FPS he was getting on his laptop vs my desktop and said I should kick my setting up to Medium to increase the FPS.  Now that seemed totally backwards but we tried it. 

Going from low with no shadows, water reflections to ground only and the other settings turned down vs Med, same on the other stuff DID get me a Net Gain in FPS!  So for those like me that find the game is moving sluggishly, turn your settings UP from Low to Med and see if it helps.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Comments

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

The good looking gear you get fighting bosses in Epic Mode or group-dungeons.

When you teleport to another region/zone you are often asked for Normal/Epic Mode - Epic requires to be grouped to have a chance.

In my opinion stylish gear starts with the "Sanctum of the Burning Souls" dungeon...you can farm "Field of the Dead" in epic mode...in Tarantia the "Cistern, Main-System, Mausoleum"..."Amphitheatre of Karutonia" has some great sets...and so on...to the high level zones, dungeons and raids.

Funcom made the failure to not communicate enough about where the good gear is.

In Normal Mode the loot is crap beside some rare blues and a few questitems...

For the graphics i ever start with highest setting and go down stepwise till i have a setting with enough fps and still good enough graphic quality.

Have Fun

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

I'm not really talking about the 'gear' per se and I see where I didn't make myself very clear on that point.

What I meant was you get your gear be it blue's or epic or whatever and to be honest others will have the same if they worked the same area's.  But so your toon looks different you're able to equip a purely appearance item over it; say a Blacksmith's outfit.  Purely decortive, no buff's, armor numbers, nothing.  Just for the look.

Instead of your lvl 80 conqurer looking like a walking tank, other players might see a bar girl or green grocer.  One of the things I liked in SWG was having my Imp decked out in his Recon armor, but with a grey uniform appearanced over it or my son in LotRO maxed out on his armor with a saggy coat and floppy wizards hats appearanced over it.  Total fluff I know but it would add to the visual enjoyment.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

When you get to 80, you'll have one set of top gear to get and then you'll look like everyone else in the class you play!  Awesome huh!

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

With the Patch 1.06 there will be the implementation of many new social clothes per Guild Renown Levels and Vendors but i dont know if they implement an appearance tab that time.

Some Screens of that clothing are in the forums but my bank is already full of sets of clothing/armor and half my inventory - so hopefully the storing room is made bigger soon enough...

While fighting i wear my mostly complete T2-set for sure and i have never ever got any chestpiece of my set...  ;P

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Teala

When you get to 80, you'll have one set of top gear to get and then you'll look like everyone else in the class you play!  Awesome huh!

And that makes a difference from all MMOs except EQ2 in what way?

EQ2 have fashion slots that fixes the problem, it is however slightly annoying in PvP servers there, you can't see how good gear someone has, they might fake things by showing crappy stuff on purpose.

There is only one best set of gear in most MMOs.

Edit: yeah, yeah, a few other games have added appearance slots now, EQ2 did it first.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Nebless

I'm not really talking about the 'gear' per se and I see where I didn't make myself very clear on that point.
    What I meant was you get your gear be it blue's or epic or whatever and to be honest others will have the same if they worked the same area's.  But so your toon looks different you're able to equip a purely appearance item over it; say a Blacksmith's outfit.  Purely decortive, no buff's, armor numbers, nothing.  Just for the look.
    Instead of your lvl 80 conqurer looking like a walking tank, other players might see a bar girl or green grocer.  One of the things I liked in SWG was having my Imp decked out in his Recon armor, but with a grey uniform appearanced over it or my son in LotRO maxed out on his armor with a saggy coat and floppy wizards hats appearanced over it.  Total fluff I know but it would add to the visual enjoyment.

Appearance gear does add to a game.  Im partial to hooded cloaks myself.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

That is one of the worst things in wow, which makes me think they might eventually have an outfit system.  A dye system would be amazing too.  And it can do exactly what LotrO does.  When you enter a pvp area, your outfit is turned off, so you can't "hide" how good/bad your gear is.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Nebless

Toon Look:  Not the toon itself as they seem to have done a good job with the character creation, but on what they wear.  Now granted I haven't left Tortage so maybe it all changes down the road, but I see the same outfit's over and over and over again.  While this isn't a big thing to many, it is REALLY big to some.  Why not have an appearance tab like LotRO or SWG?  You've got your armor on but are able to customize your toon with appearance clothes. 

The social armor tab is planned to be added very soon - before the expansion goes on. (new inventory tab, with items that does not add any bonuses, but gives you further customization with your appearance) - same as it is implemented in Anarchy Online, EQ2, or Lotro. Sorry if I missed some other games with this feature.

REALITY CHECK

• PoopyStuffPoopyStuff Member Posts: 297

Great game for about 4-6 months, after that.. its all BOOORRING

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by PoopyStuff

Great game for about 4-6 months, after that.. its all BOOORRING

Same problem as with most new MMOs, the content just isn't enough yet. It needs that expansion badly.

They should also focus more on player created stuff, that guildcity could really become great if they put in more work on it and the crafting system should be changed.

• FalfeirFalfeir Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by Loke666

And that makes a difference from all MMOs except EQ2 in what way?

EQ2 have fashion slots that fixes the problem, it is however slightly annoying in PvP servers there, you can't see how good gear someone has, they might fake things by showing crappy stuff on purpose.

There is only one best set of gear in most MMOs.

Edit: yeah, yeah, a few other games have added appearance slots now, EQ2 did it first.

this was funny.

anyway, its not just appearance slots. dyes, different sets for different purposes.  I dont know how much has changed but, i hear people choosing raid tier 2 over pvp armor for using it in pvp. where does crafted armor stay atm, does it justify the time invested? do you need to raid (with no other option) to get crafting designs?

aion did it right, no shame in copy-pasting, not that they have problem with shamelessness

I need more vespene gas.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Originally posted by Loke666

Ref: Appearance tab's for clothes over armor - Nebless edit

, it is however slightly annoying in PvP servers there, you can't see how good gear someone has, they might fake things by showing crappy stuff on purpose.

Originally posted by Swanea

When you enter a pvp area, your outfit is turned off, so you can't "hide" how good/bad your gear is.

Now I'm of the opinion that it would be more fun to have to guess at what you're going up against.   If you know you've got the better gear/weps and are 99.9% sure you'll win a fight, why bother?  Doesn't seem like there'd be much of a challenge there.

Good example: I was at White Sands as a lvl 15, saw a lvl 12 bout the same time as he saw me and he ran.  Led me a merry chase probably under the impression that as a 15 I'd whip on his 12 butt (which is what I thought too).  He finally ducked into the tree's/bushes up against a non-crossable hillside and I followed him in.  Stupidest thing I could have done / smartest he could have done, as it totally lagged out my system.  Couldn't see crap and just hammered away with no finanse.  Lowered his health but he ended up winning the fight.   Moral - don't assume.