Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Direct to Drive question

DugathDugath Member Posts: 93

I am thinking of ordering the STO Delux

www.direct2drive.com/8805/product/Buy-Star-Trek-Online-Digital-Deluxe-Edition-Download

Just a questions about D2D... all you get is a digital download and Key.. correct? No physical media will be sent to me.?

Comments

• DracisDracis Member Posts: 434

That's right, and you can redownload as many times as you want. It's not like Steam, which I dislike, so no hidden DRM stuff.

Edited, due to horrid typing skills :(

• DugathDugath Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Dracis

That's right, and you can redownload as many times as you want. It's not like Steam, which I dislike, so no hidden DRM stuff.
    Edited, due to horrid typing skills :(

Ahh yes that was the other question (that I forgot to ask).. about re-downloading, of course i figure backing it up onto a dvd would be wise as well :)

Thanks for the answers.

Oh.. another question.. since this is a "pre-order" after I buy it I take it I will get an email sent to me when it is available for download?

No need to back it up on DvD, really. I've been using them for years and you can really download as many times as you want. Obviously if you download the thing 10 times in one day, that might through up some flags, but they have really good customer service as well.

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

I've never used D2D (debating whether or not to use it or Steam for the DDE version of the game), but I imagine that yes you'll get an email when the game's made available. If not, just check a few days before the launch, say starting the 26th or so.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

I've never pre-ordered an MMO from them, but you can have their download program ( GameSpy Comrade ), automatically download it when it's available. You do get an email too, I'm sure, as I did with Dragon Age. You may even be able to pre-download the client as well, they did that with DA:O as well.

I've used Steam in the past and just prefer D2D, because no hidden DRM or anything like that. The only DRM that is ever included is what the publisher puts in and the key to activate the game. Usually, if there is any DRM at all on the games, D2D will state it in the games description.

Hopefully that answers all the questions.

Okay Thank you. I will go ahead and get this then.  :)

• kal08kal08 Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Dugath 
    I am thinking of ordering the STO Delux(...)
    Just a questions about D2D... all you get is a digital download and Key.. correct? No physical media will be sent to me.?

I bought a few games from D2D including CO (Champions Online) pre-order. 

It worked this way:

1) you buy the game,

2) they give you a link for the download and pre-order key,

3) you download the game at any time, which will give you plenty of time to patch it,

4) once the open beta starts you will be able to play the game. Not the close beta tho!

5) you will also be able to join in the headstart (couple days before non-pre order)

6) launch day: you will receive a new key that will allow you access to the special goddies (pre-order bonus). Its not mandatory to use it on first day tho, as they should give you a few days as long you have the pre-order key (cause the others that need to wait for the actual box to arrive ;-)

Have fun

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by kal08

Originally posted by Dugath 
    I am thinking of ordering the STO Delux(...)

I bought a few games from D2D including CO (Champions Online) pre-order. 

It worked this way:

1) you buy the game,

2) they give you a link for the download and pre-order key,

3) you download the game at any time, which will give you plenty of time to patch it,

4) once the open beta starts you will be able to play the game. Not the close beta tho!

5) you will also be able to join in the headstart (couple days before non-pre order)

6) launch day: you will receive a new key that will allow you access to the special goddies (pre-order bonus). Its not mandatory to use it on first day tho, as they should give you a few days as long you have the pre-order key (cause the others that need to wait for the actual box to arrive ;-)

Have fun

Keep in mind, just because you pre-order does not mean you automatically get into the open beta. They have stated that it is first come first serve, so I can only assume that they have a set limit on how many people get to get in.

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Keep in mind, just because you pre-order does not mean you automatically get into the open beta. They have stated that it is first come first serve, so I can only assume that they have a set limit on how many people get to get in.

I don't know where you heard that but I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect people who preorder the game. Open Beta access is one of the advertised bonuses for pre-ordering. Nobody seemed to have a problem getting into CO open beta either, so I think he'll be fine.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by Blurr

I don't know where you heard that but I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect people who preorder the game. Open Beta access is one of the advertised bonuses for pre-ordering. Nobody seemed to have a problem getting into CO open beta either, so I think he'll be fine.

Maybe they were just talking about the open beta free keys. I was under the impression that only closed beta folks and pre-order folks was getting into open beta. If they have free keys out there then that would explain the first come first server thing they mentioned.

Maybe they were just talking about the open beta free keys. I was under the impression that only closed beta folks and pre-order folks was getting into open beta. If they have free keys out there then that would explain the first come first server thing they mentioned.

Yeah likely what they were referring to was things like Fileplanet, where they get X number of keys and those are given out first-come-first-serve to anyone, but people who preorder or are already in closed beta will already have access.

Well if anyone cares (lol).. I bought the Delux STO from DTD.. Open Beta and Headstart Preorder Bonus Key which I obtained and registered.. and the regular Key which I assume will become available once the game goes live in Feb. Now I just have to wait around for the client to become available.. and of course for open Beta to start.. woot ;)

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

BE WARNED - D2D download purchases expire, unlike STEAM ones.  So unlike STEAM with D2D after 6, 12 or whatever it is months these days your purchase will not be available for re-download.  On STEAM your purchases are always available and never expire.

I just experienced it, and after 6 weeks of contacting support still can't get them ( D2D ) to let me re-download Mass Effect.

Originally posted by Cryptor

BE WARNED - D2D download purchases expire, unlike STEAM ones.  So unlike STEAM with D2D after 6, 12 or whatever it is months these days your purchase will not be available for re-download.  On STEAM your purchases are always available and never expire.
    I just experienced it, and after 6 weeks of contacting support still can't get them ( D2D ) to let me re-download Mass Effect.

Yeah, I figure I will just Burn both the Client and key to a DVD so I do not have to re-download anything again.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

ild def get the d2d deluxe ed, it has some unique goodies youll always be able to show off, like a tier 1 constellation cruiser with blue phasers (its not ultra pwnzor but its unique if you dont have it and its cool as hell!!!111!1!!1)  not too mention special trill stats and uniforms ect ect.  as far as future redownloads, its an mmo, the key gets linked to your account and you can always download it from cryptic, duh =p  i mean seriously, duh.

• NeverasNeveras Member UncommonPosts: 303

This is completely and utterly FALSE.

I believe you are mixing up D2D with a service like EA Downloading and the like where you need to purchase the ability to download.

Downloads on Direct2Drive NEVER expire. I've been with them for over 3 years and have about a dozen or so games bought with them and all of them are still downloadable as of today. In fact it's stated many times on the website that your downloads are never supposed to expire.

I had downloaded Mount and Blade from them and it did disappear from my list, however after a quick e-mail with my e-mailed receipt it was fixed in a little less than a day.

Either you're mixing up services, or outright lying about D2D.

If it is D2D than I suggest calling customer support and they should be able to clear it up for you. It makes no sense if you've actually been trying to contact their customer support for "6 weeks'

From the Faq:

Download Protection

You will always have the option to re-download your games

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

i gotta agree with neveras, i have games from 2007 on d2d i can still download from them so i dont think they cut you off.  never used ea's service, i have used impulse d2d and steam, all 3 will download your games indefinitely until they go out of buisiness at least from what ive experienced first hand with them.

Just curious as to when the actual Client is usually relased for Pre-Order/ Open Beta keys.. The day of open Beta..the Day before?

I ask because.. on D2D.. on "my account" when I click the download button it gives me my Key info. I also then recieve an email giving me again my Key Info.. and also says "Go to your My Account page on Direct2Drive to download the full client version of Star Trek Online" which I do not see when I go to "My account".. so I am guessing the Client is not actually available yet.

• LogsdonbLogsdonb Member UncommonPosts: 18

I have purchased several games from Direct to Drive and I have been very happy.  Its quick and painless to download and you can re-download if you need to for any reason.  Its actually easier then trying yo keep track of old DVDs.  I have no hesitation in recommending them as a vendor for software.

• kal08kal08 Member Posts: 90

True or not, it doesnt matter. STO is a MMORPG and you can download the game at any time from the official site as long you have a current account.

So no reason to panic either way! ^_^