Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Free Zone: Year-End Pot Luck

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com columnist Richard Aihoshi files his last column of 2009, taking a look at some of the various subjects that come to mind as the year comes to a close.

Richard Aihoshi

Since this is the last column I'll write in 2009, I'd like to take the opportunity to express my hope that all of you are having the kind of holiday season you deserve, and to wish 2010 will bring more of the same. As for what has caught my attention and been on my mind recently, I invite you to take a break from your festive feasting and to share some pot luck.

100K simultaneous users on a single server

This summer, I wrote a column discussing a couple of ways in which online poker might be seen as overlapping with MMOGs. To be clear, it would take quite a liberal interpretation of the category's boundaries to include poker. However, some interesting bases for comparison do exist. Another came up yesterday. The leading site, Poker Stars, attempted to break its own record for most players in a single buyin (pay to enter) tournament, which was set last year when 65,000 took part in a similar event.

Read Free Zone: Year-End Pot Luck.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• Eugenics2Eugenics2 Member Posts: 1

Sorry about your cat.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I am so sorry to hear about your cat. 

• thorosuchthorosuch Member UncommonPosts: 127

Cat?

Getting old is mandatory...growing up is optional.

• shabazzstershabazzster PWI CorrespondentMember Posts: 32

Im hoping that great things come in 2010. I think thats assured if we all play are parts correctly and with duty and honor.

There's so much more to tap in with storylines. The depth of which all depends on our collective and creative intellect.

Thanks for the good words, the good work, and may your friend shine on- to ever greater pastures.

K

• TolrocTolroc Member UncommonPosts: 111

Sorry to hear about your cat!

• CombspeCombspe Member UncommonPosts: 140

Sorry to hear about your kitty. :(

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Oh, Richard, I'm so sorry to hear about Punkin. :(  We also lost our cat just a few months ago. KittyKitty (our daughter named her when she was 2 years old, hence the name) was also 20 years old. We had had Kitty longer than our youngest son, in fact, he's only 19. Kitty was indeed part of our family.

Kitty, however, was not really a gaming companion to any of us, so while the family was very sad, we could at least all escape into our various MMOs and single player games without the constant reminder.

Again...I'm very sorry to hear that.

To a more wonderful 2010....

~L.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399

I enjoy your articles and look forward to them in 2010.

I am sorry for your loss. My cat, Strikes, always enjoys laying next to the computer for warmth and on my lap while I play. It is frustrating when she steps on the key board and autoruns me over a cliff to my death, but its funny and great. Do you plan on getting a new cat?

-Swoogie McDoogie

In relation to the article, I really look forward to more story-driven MMO's with less GET ME 5 WOLF PELTS!!!!! quests

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Cats, we have just the one, when he's hungry he'll sit in front of the monitor until i feed him. im pretty sure he's supposed to be the pet.....

• ThanosxpThanosxp Member UncommonPosts: 177

I lost my dog in january (he was 19 years old), i know the feel. Sorry for your cat,man. After all this time,a pet becomes family. A DEAR family member,for sure

=/ 

• bigdaddysfebigdaddysfe Member Posts: 89

Who cares about F2P games, they are their own worst enemies. Funny you mention poker games and MMO's since there are a couple trying to have poker games for game money. If they would worry about things like customer support and a stable base instead of stupid gimmicks, we might see some progress. F2P's will for the most part probably be regarded as a joke here for the foreseeable future......

......Is what a I would say to a man who didn't lose his cat friend :(

• MarkillionMarkillion Member Posts: 1

I'm sorry for your loss.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

I'm sorry for your loss. Also had a pet (in this case dog) which also had a presence in my gaming "environment". It was never the same after my pet's death.

Well, I don't think Poker can fit as a MMO, along with all those lobby-based games. There has to be a line somewhere, and if it does not include any kind of the first "M" in the real gameplay (not just the waiting room, chat rooms, pacific outposts and cities), it isn't a MMO for me. Even if it has a player limit for an area à la Tabula Rasa, that's a valid way to prevent the unbearable amount of players in a same area that the game (along with current hardware and network limitations) was not designed to handle.

Anyway MMOs and Online Games live too closely nowadays, reason that allows us to see non-MMOs (and non-RPGs, heh) in MMORPG.com.

• MidareMidare Member Posts: 46

Sorry about your cat, Richard.

I haven't been in-game at all this month, so there isn't anythign I can say about holiday events.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

Sorry to hear about your cat Punkin.

As for the rest of the article, Poker as an MMO?  That is a huge strech.  Other than that, I have high hopes for 2010, this last year was just a total bummer.

• carlosjuerocarlosjuero Member Posts: 7

Sorry about your cat :/ - I lost my loved Hamu-chan (yeah yeah) a few years ago; went to work one day and came home to find him half in his food bowl, he just didn't have the energy to make it out I guess.

Anyway - regarding your part about writing; the main problem with story lines and writing in MMO's is that so few players seem to want to take the time to.. you know.. read it. Sure, you can have a huge budget and tons of voice acting like SW:TOR is supposed to come with, but in general too many players seem to be hell bent on getting to the level cap (for whatever reason) and don't care for the story. Lord of the Rings Online has a pretty good story written into it (not the best, no, but pretty darned good) but so many people just click through quest acceptance and run off to where the quest tracker tells them to go (the quest tracker being a result of this 'i dont wanna read' phenomenah).

I hope for better writing too, but I can sympathise with developers who don't want to put so much effort into something that so many people will just ignore.

• PumpkinheroPumpkinhero Member Posts: 23

Sorry to hear about your cat... seems like you have many memories... I think maybe I should invest myself into getting one.

• ghoulieghoulie Member Posts: 17

I lost my seventeen year-old cat the week before Christmas. I'm 29. I had that cat for more than half my lifetime. I could hardly say she died young, but it still hurt. She really meant a lot to me. Hang in there, and know that a lot of us know how you feel.

• yureinekoyureineko Member Posts: 39

I never participate in holiday events in MMO's, especially in December. Elf and orc Christmas is an even more tacky gimmick than the one IRL.

You have my sincere condolences for the loss of you cat.

I don't even believe in Jeebus.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Nice article. I'm looking forward to more from you in 2010, Richard.

I cancelled my Aion sub but wasn't impressed with their holiday event, as it seemed like a transparent suck-up to the West. WoW is the same this year as every other, though the air rifle and BB King achievement are pretty hilarious. I haven't played any other MMOs this month so that's all I can comment on.

I empathize with your grief over Punkin; may she rest in peace.

• OridiOridi Member UncommonPosts: 26

My condolences about your cat.  It's rough when friends go.

I played the holiday events in SWG and LOTRO this year.  SWG did the same thing as usual, run around and decorate trees/destroy presents and then turn in tokens for cool stuff. They brought back all the items from last year as well as added a few more (clothing/housing/rep) so it was something I enjoyed but not nearly as much as the old life day celebrations where you traded presents and had a humongous tree show up as you opened your gift. 

LOTRO brought back the same festival as last year with gathering items then turning in tokens for cool stuff.  They added a new set of clothes which were basically the same clothes from a snowy area of the game with some new skins perched on top.  LOTRO did add a beer brawl to the dwarf area that truthfully was the most fun I've had  in a long time.  Get this... you're in a beer hall along with a bunch of other players.  You get a big ol bat/cudgel thing and when you target another player and click on the bat skill you knock them flyyyyyyying back.  No harm comes to them but they're required to run back and try again to.. of course... get to a huge appearing here and there barrel/stein of beer and click on it first to win the round.  If you're knocked out of a central area (which actually does not happen often cause everyone knows about knockbacks since we've been dealing with LOTRO bosses for a while now :-) you have to run the game again.  I think the wait time in between times is less than 15 minutes.

So you go in, get your bat, run up to stand in the middle, and target just about anyone.  The game starts, and everyone goes flying - then frantically running because the appearing disappearing clicky barrelstein has shown up.  Everyone scrambles for it except the few folks that are just waiting and then picking off the other players one by one as they send everyone flying through the air like they're shot out of a cannon.  I was giggling, swearing, mashing keys, shouting "take that you feeble dorf!" and just having a great time.  It's my fave part of the winter festivities in any game this year.