Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crack head prices on Steam - Help me pick!

AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

Ok so there are a bunch of MMORPGs on Steam for 5-10 dollars including:

- Final Fantasy XI 

- Lineage

- Lineage II

- Everquest

- Everquest II

- Star Wars Galaxies

- EVE

- Vanguard

- Age of Conan

- Champions Online

I haven't played any of these games, and am somewhat interested in them all, but mostly interested in Age of Conan and Vanguard I think... FF XI sounds like too much grind, and Everquest seems like it would be like playing WoW again (and I am burnt out on that completely). I'm not sure if I would enjoy the space ship combat of EVE, but I hear a lot of good things on here.

I don't really have time to download the trial for all of these before the sale is over :3 So would you pick Vanguard or Age of Conan, and why? Or is there a game on this list that you think is better than both? Thank you!! :) 

--------------------------
Playing:
FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
My Rig:
GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

Comments

• evilgreen5evilgreen5 Member Posts: 77

AoC for sure. Vanguard is definitely a cool game with that "old school" feel but I had a lot more fun in AoC.

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Personally I think that visually Age of Conan is pretty damn good and levels 1 through 20 are brilliant.. but once you make it off noob island, you find things lacking and the combat system, while it's got the right idea, isn't really all that great. 

Never played Vanguard but I hear really good things about it, it looks like it's nearing its end and personally of the two I'd try Vanguard, just because its days are numbered. You're paying 5 bucks for 30 days, I don't see why not.

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• championsFanchampionsFan Member Posts: 419

If you are casual player then Champions Online is really fun, action oriented combat, and an open build system, offer something new.  If you are a hardcore player then the newness might eventually where out though while waiting for more content to get added.

I don't recommend AoC, unless realistic graphics are your biggest priority.  The combat in AoC is cooler than most MMOs but didn't have enough variety for me.  The biggest problem was that the game too often feels like a big long instanced tunnel.  

If you really want to go hardcore into a game, then IMO EVE has no competition.  It is really in its own category from other MMOs, kind of like how gambling games are "different": yes they are still games, but they are no longer so frivolous or lighthearted, and are much more potentially addicting, IMO.   EVE is great if you've got the time. 

Cryptic is trying a Customer Development approach to MMO creation.

• WhackANewbieWhackANewbie Member Posts: 225

I got Lineage 2 and then after 3 days of downloading (FU NcSoft) I found it it was point-and-click (not a fan) and there are not many races. FFIX you should pass since XIV is almost out. AoC definitely. Vanguard...pass....its dying big time...big time. Eve...hell ya....i hate space MMOs...i mean REALLY HATE them but this game has always beckoned me and this is my 3rd time coming back and the new tutorial makes it less frustrating to enter...don't get me wrong you're still going to want to hang yourself within a day but at least this time you'll take pills beforehand to ease the pain. Champions Online just if you see yourself resubbing here and there and want to save money on the full product (10 aint bad for the full game). I did that for CO. I see myself only playing it every few months but at least I got the full game for 10. Everquest 2.....its crazily top heavy and i hate the combat but that is just me. graphics are beautiful though but it really is the same as WoW (not comparing just saying both games are very similar)....if you want another WoW type game go for it...different graphic engine........different combat....if you have 15 just or 20 get Eve and CO or EvE/CO/EQ2....if you play EvE let me know....im a noob looking for noobs...playing a noob...whos a noob...playing a noob...

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by championsFan

If you are casual player then Champions Online is really fun, action oriented combat, and an open build system, offer something new.  If you are a hardcore player then the newness might eventually where out though while waiting for more content to get added.
    I don't recommend AoC, unless realistic graphics are your biggest priority.  The combat in AoC is cooler than most MMOs but didn't have enough variety for me.  The biggest problem was that the game too often feels like a big long instanced tunnel.  
    If you really want to go hardcore into a game, then IMO EVE has no competition.  It is really in its own category from other MMOs, kind of like how gambling games are "different": yes they are still games, but they are no longer so frivolous or lighthearted, and are much more potentially addicting, IMO.   EVE is great if you've got the time. 

Are you saying AoC has a lot of instances? That's one of the reasons I'm interested in Vanguard, because I'm missing an open world feel.

I have a good friend in real life who brags about Champions Online to me all the time, but it seems like people on this website say it's no good - for lack of content I guess? 

If I'm going to sub to any of these games I just want either good PvE and decent PvP, or good PvP and decent PvE, and one that doesn't take more than say 4 hours every day to be competitive lol.

Playing:
    My Rig:

• Pcgamer81Pcgamer81 Member Posts: 186

i think AoC is your best bet out of the one's you requested. vanguard from what i hear has been dying "from what i hear". FFXI future is uncertain with sequel coming in FFXIV.

• WhackANewbieWhackANewbie Member Posts: 225
    Originally posted by Aeroangel

Are you saying AoC has a lot of instances? That's one of the reasons I'm interested in Vanguard, because I'm missing an open world feel.

I have a good friend in real life who brags about Champions Online to me all the time, but it seems like people on this website say it's no good - for lack of content I guess? 

If I'm going to sub to any of these games I just want either good PvE and decent PvP, or good PvP and decent PvE, and one that doesn't take more than say 4 hours every day to be competitive lol.

Vanguard is having a lot of issues right now; it might not be dead but they took a lot of things away from it (read up on it). If you have a GOOD friend, like you said, who plays CO go CO....simple enough...MMOs are way more fun when you have friends to play with; friends literally make the bad parts of MMO go away....go with CO

Originally posted by WhackANewbie

I got Lineage 2 and then after 3 days of downloading (FU NcSoft) I found it it was point-and-click (not a fan) and there are not many races. FFIX you should pass since XIV is almost out. AoC definitely. Vanguard...pass....its dying big time...big time. Eve...hell ya....i hate space MMOs...i mean REALLY HATE them but this game has always beckoned me and this is my 3rd time coming back and the new tutorial makes it less frustrating to enter...don't get me wrong you're still going to want to hang yourself within a day but at least this time you'll take pills beforehand to ease the pain. Champions Online just if you see yourself resubbing here and there and want to save money on the full product (10 aint bad for the full game). I did that for CO. I see myself only playing it every few months but at least I got the full game for 10. Everquest 2.....its crazily top heavy and i hate the combat but that is just me. graphics are beautiful though but it really is the same as WoW (not comparing just saying both games are very similar)....if you want another WoW type game go for it...different graphic engine........different combat....if you have 15 just or 20 get Eve and CO or EvE/CO/EQ2....if you play EvE let me know....im a noob looking for noobs...playing a noob...whos a noob...playing a noob...

Definitely not interested in point and click.. Do you mean definitely pass on buying AoC? I hear Vanguard is dying, but it looks so cool with an open world and the mounts and player housing and such...

I might give an EVE trial a shot if everyone says it's so good I dunno. I'm more interested in having a humanoid character to control though lol.

Playing:
    My Rig:

Originally posted by WhackANewbie

Originally posted by Aeroangel

Vanguard is having a lot of issues right now; it might not be dead but they took a lot of things away from it (read up on it). If you have a GOOD friend, like you said, who plays CO go CO....simple enough...MMOs are way more fun when you have friends to play with; friends literally make the bad parts of MMO go away....go with CO

Well he loves it, but hasn't been able to play it the past month because he doesn't have a computer now, lol.

I did look up that, and saw they were merging servers and scrapping some future things in Vanguard, but does that really mean that the MMO will be dead? I keep hearing it's really good, and a lot more improved since release. 

Is there a lot of group content in CO? Or can you solo most of it? I would like a game with a lot of group content.

Playing:
    My Rig:

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

I bought CO for $10.

It's pretty cool.

I don't know how long I will play it.. but it's definately worth $10 for 1 month.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by Lustmord

I bought CO for $10.

It's pretty cool.
    I don't know how long I will play it.. but it's definately worth $10 for 1 month.

Yeh i agree, for 10 bucks its well worth the money and is quite a good game overall.

I'm reading that in Champions Online you can practically solo the entire game. I'm not really interested in that, and not interested in EvE.

So Vanguard or AoC? Someone mentioned AoC had a lot of instances - is that true? It also says you can construct entire cities? Are they instanced, or? I wish it didn't take almost 40 gigs of space >:( but if it has good gameplay, PvE, and PvP I'll get it! Any thoughts?

Playing:
    My Rig: