Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Champions Online is fun

Pants52Pants52 Member Posts: 68

Well, this game is fun to me. I've played a lot of mmos and then quit because there is nothing really out now that is worth anything. Yet, some people have fun playing other games, everyone has their own taste right.

Anyway...

Champions online gives you customization over pretty much everything. Like what color fire you wanna be when your flying...stuff like that.

Being able to have traveling powers, which there is a lot, at level 5 and not having to grind all the time just to get that cool looking mount or somethin.

You get to create your own super-hero which is cool anyway.

I'm tired of these games like WoW, Aion, etc where all you do is grind and PvP. Yeah that is cool when it comes out, but really those games are the same fantasy world with different story. MMO designers need to have content outside of just grinding and PvP. Where is the social stuff in games now a days? I remember in Pre-CPU SWG where I could just chill in the cantina talking to people about random stuff, or building your own house. 

Not to say Champions Online has that stuff, I have not explored deep enough into the game yet to see if it is just another boring game, but as of right now all the customization is making play the game.

I love that fact that you can literally make a super-hero to anyway you want it. I have not seen a game with such depth on customization in a long time.

I think this game is really cool and fun to play, but i've heard people do not like, yet every one picks their own poison. All i did was try to demo and wanted to play more. Demos are the bomb btw. 

Anyway yeah dont hate on the thread just give your opinion because everyone has their game they love.

Comments

• CharisiCharisi Member Posts: 159

I agree. I tried the demo recently too and loved it. I have heard a lot of negative things surrounding this game, and it just goes to show that I shouldn't pay attention to everything I read/hear, as I love the game. It's quite the refreshing change from so many tired mmo's out there.

A Requiem For Argos, now available at e-book retailers.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

It's okay.  Not anything special far as I'm concerned and frankly I think they should have taken more time to iron out some things with the game such as class balancing, content, server/engine proficiency, etc. but it isn't a bust far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't purchase the game at full price and doubt I'll be a long term subber but now that its been out a while and can be purchased so cheap I'm going to sub for a little while anyways.

Nothing else really stands out to me mmorpg wise except for resubbing to LotR.  I've tried the other mmos out there and besides WoW which I'm simply burned out on they just all don't hold my interest or are a dissappointment in areas.  The only two that were even noteworthy to me were Aion and Fallen Earth.  However, Aion falls to pieces when it comes to PvE at the high end so since you can't level through PvP in that game - counts that out.  Although, the PvP in that game is damn good.  As for Fallen Earth, the combat in that game is just way too sluggish for me.  Too bad really, because I like the environment and some things in the game are rather stellar I think such as crafting.  But the combat is just sluggish as hell and rather buggy in my opinion so gonna have to say no to that one.

So I suppose it's CO for now until I max it out which will probably take a month or two and then head back to LotR.  Not like Rings is going anywhere and longer I wait to go back the more it will have to offer anyways.  Might keep tinkering around with Allods Online too because from what I've played so far it's a rather fun game for a f2p one.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684

So far I've been enjoying my time. The areas are interesting and seem alive. Also, yes customization is awesome in this game. I really feel individual.

But, we'll see in the later levels if the content can keep up. So far, so good. Although I didn't like the arenas. I play a melee class and the long-range classes seemed over-powered. They just ran in circles around me shooting me and I couldn't catch up. Was rather boring. But the PvE is nice.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

10 bucks on steam might as well give it a shot if the demo works out well.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Yep, the bottom line is, if you enjoy dreaming up unique character concepts and implementing them, both in terms of looks and in terms of builds, and if you enjoy fast-paced gameplay, then CO will satisfy you.  I certainly do enjoy it very much, and will probably stay subbed for a few months at least. 

Trouble is, I don't think the game has enough content to satisfy most MMO gamers out there.  If they manage to put in a major content update early 2010 then this game will have legs, because I think a lot of people tried it and enjoyed it for what it was, but found it unpolished and unfinished, and took a benevolent "wait and see" attitude.  If Cryptic can provide a more finished, polished game in the next few months, then when those people try the game again, they may stick with it.  The basics are definitely there - the gameplay is fast and slick, the process of designing and building unique characters is in place.  All that's needed is tons and tons of content, more incentive for, and ease of teaming, and more reasons for people to stick around long-term.

• AzarealAzareal Member UncommonPosts: 163

Yup, the character creator is very fun to play around in. I started out and spent like 3-4 hours just creating characters. Luckily I saved them cos I wanted to start them up and see what the powers are like. This of course resulted in all of them acquiring the respecs when the various power(s) balancing were implemented. Lol, anyway it's an ok game for me. There are issues (lots and lots of them) but I'm sure Cryptic will sort them out sooner or later. I'm just one of those who can't be bothered to stay subbed, and do nothing while waiting for them to fix everything.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785
    Originally posted by gurugeorge

Yep, the bottom line is, if you enjoy dreaming up unique character concepts and implementing them, both in terms of looks and in terms of builds, and if you enjoy fast-paced gameplay, then CO will satisfy you.  I certainly do enjoy it very much, and will probably stay subbed for a few months at least. 
    Trouble is, I don't think the game has enough content to satisfy most MMO gamers out there.  If they manage to put in a major content update early 2010 then this game will have legs, because I think a lot of people tried it and enjoyed it for what it was, but found it unpolished and unfinished, and took a benevolent "wait and see" attitude.  If Cryptic can provide a more finished, polished game in the next few months, then when those people try the game again, they may stick with it.  The basics are definitely there - the gameplay is fast and slick, the process of designing and building unique characters is in place.  All that's needed is tons and tons of content, more incentive for, and ease of teaming, and more reasons for people to stick around long-term.

Sounds like you are saying the character creater is fun, everything else is lacking.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Die_Scream

Sounds like you are saying the character creater is fun, everything else is lacking.

This game about stops churning out fun past the character creator. . .is no where near worth the $15/month. . .not only $1/month.

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Charisi

I agree. I tried the demo recently too and loved it. I have heard a lot of negative things surrounding this game, and it just goes to show that I shouldn't pay attention to everything I read/hear, as I love the game. It's quite the refreshing change from so many tired mmo's out there.

Please come back after a month and update us. I said the same thing when I played in Beta. I'd say give us your opinion after you pass Level 15+ and then I'll be impressed if you still adore it.

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641
    Originally posted by xanphia

So far I've been enjoying my time. The areas are interesting and seem alive. Also, yes customization is awesome in this game. I really feel individual.
    But, we'll see in the later levels if the content can keep up. So far, so good. Although I didn't like the arenas. I play a melee class and the long-range classes seemed over-powered. They just ran in circles around me shooting me and I couldn't catch up. Was rather boring. But the PvE is nice.

Do yourself a favor and respec. Get rid of the Melee endurance builder. It's beyond worthless and makes ya a gimp in PVP. Even if you could make it work for you-- someone can make the exact same build and choose a range builder instead and outperform ya greatly

Theres totally no point in going Melee in CO. They have zero advantages over ranged. A ranged player can get your same hitpoints, resistances, etc plus be more viable

Now in PVE you might can make a Melee builder work for ya since the mobs are dumb as a rock and just sit still most of the time. But in PVP, ouch.....

But I must add- even in PVE meleers get it bad. Mobs do more dmg upclose.... Keep in mind a ranged player can have your same tank and stats and additionally- will most likely be doing more dmg too....

Cryptic dropped the ball on Melee bad yo. They need a complete overhaul

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684
    Originally posted by PatchDay

Originally posted by xanphia

Do yourself a favor and respec. Get rid of the Melee endurance builder. It's beyond worthless and makes ya a gimp in PVP. Even if you could make it work for you-- someone can make the exact same build and choose a range builder instead and outperform ya greatly

Theres totally no point in going Melee in CO. They have zero advantages over ranged. A ranged player can get your same hitpoints, resistances, etc plus be more viable

Now in PVE you might can make a Melee builder work for ya since the mobs are dumb as a rock and just sit still most of the time. But in PVP, ouch.....

But I must add- even in PVE meleers get it bad. Mobs do more dmg upclose.... Keep in mind a ranged player can have your same tank and stats and additionally- will most likely be doing more dmg too....

Cryptic dropped the ball on Melee bad yo. They need a complete overhaul

After playing with it for a few days, I have to completely agree. I went with melee to keep the lore with my character I was making. It's really a shame because he should be much stronger than what's currently given to me. They do need to upgrade melee.