Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst Games Of 2009

2»

Comments

• J_HurryJ_Hurry Member UncommonPosts: 230

Champions Online. Never felt so disconnected in an MMOG before like I did in CO. One server divided into dozens of seperate instances = useless to me. CO is exactly the opposite of what a virtual world should be.

Star Trek Online will be just as shallow, mark my words. Bleh Cryptic, get up with it.

LGM Alchemist (Legendary Grandmaster)
  • JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

Aion.  I didn't bother with any of the niche or F2P MMOs, since I already know they're sub par.  But Aion was such a step backwards.  WAR had some linear zones, but Aions were just as bad.   The quests drying up into the 20s just killed it.   It just didn't hook me.  Great GFX, but the gameplay just didn't feel fresh at all.  WAR at least had me interested for a few months.  Aion was over in weeks.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Champions Online

Good single player game but awful as an MMORPG.

Darkfall is a close second.

• decoy26517decoy26517 Member Posts: 313

Eve online.

"World of Warcraft is the perfect implementation of this genre." - Hilmar Petursson. CEO of CCP.

• MattMassacreMattMassacre Member Posts: 182

Alganon of course.

Edit: Scratch that. I REALLY have to agree with the guy above me. CO was a REAL let down. The picture explains everything.

• BsheezyBsheezy Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Originally posted by chrisel

Originally posted by Justarius1

Originally posted by chrisel

2009 was not a year I tried many different MMO's.
    The worst game in 2009 for me was definately Fallen Earth. What a waste of money. Utter garbage.

Hmm, interesting.  Fallen Earth has received several "Game of the Year" awards, a great review from the editors and users of this site, and it's personally my current favorite MMO.  I love it.  One man's trash is another man's treasure, indeed.  Out of curiosity, what did you dislike about the gameplay?

What made it crap for me, was all the bugs, and I also felt the graphics subpar for such a new game like that. The whole setting was directly boring, nothing groundbreaking. I even found it annoying that I could not even swim on the waters. Such small things ruins my immersion in an MMO. I really found the whole world too monotone. I have no problems understanding this game is considered good by some players, but strangely enough, none of those I know in real life wants to play it anymore. But seriously; all the bugs drove me mad. Unfortunately the game still suffers under those.'

If I had played more MMO's in 2009 I would probably not have said Fallen Earth was the worst. I have become better checking sites like MMORPG before buying, and I am more patient to wait until games have been out, at least for a few days.

Fallen Earth is definately a game that deserves all the success; there are game mechanics that I would like to see work in that game. But to me, Fallen Earth was epic fail.

would you really want to swim in water that for the most part is usually tainted or questionable? 

• NoobkilarNoobkilar Member Posts: 175

I agree not to mention horrid CS teams ( if there is one ) and a fairly shitty community in general made that game just a total fail for me. The pvp was so hyped up by the DeV's and you get there like hum........this is the uber pvp NOT. It did have potential to be a great game but making a single area for pvp where not many go to just sucked.

I am calling 2010's first fail = STO and a hard fail it will be.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I'm not getting Cryptic's line of thinking really.  Wouldn't it make more sense to concentrate on one title and try to make it a godly mmo rather than spreading themselves so thin?  I mean they just released CO, they have STO on the way, and supposedly they're working on a D&D title as well?  It just seems they would be better off focusing on one and then once they feel they have the groundwork there to then consider making another mmorpg.  Not trying to do all of these at once and sacrificing how much time and effort they can put into them.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but then again not like I run my own software development company so maybe that's why.

/shrug

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• PiggyPopsPiggyPops Member Posts: 27

I expected great games for 2009, but it was a fail......

Hope 2010 will be better.

Click the dragon/egg to raise it or get your own.
    Http://www.gameslash.tk - Gaming Discussion

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Among big releases - Darkfall.

Otherwise some of f2p korean trash

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Among big releases - Darkfall.
    Otherwise some of f2p korean trash

that's true...

• MyreanMyrean Member Posts: 186

In AION,

Crafting is ridiculously expensive; GM support is nonexistent. Since launch NCsoft has made only moderate progress at eliminating bots and RMT sales which could easily account for 7-10% of the population of each faction per realm; but the candid truth is to really enjoy the game you have to go RMT. EVERYTHING: travel to other zones, spells, bind points, equipment, every single point of crafting 0-450 costs alot and rises exponentially while loot and rewards are only increase incrementally. Savvy auctioneers can do well; but if aren't that kind of person or if you don't have the time to watch the 'Broker' 24/7... you are going to have trouble.

• Justarius1Justarius1 Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Combat "sluggish" -?  I don't find it to be so at all.  I find the combat rather fast and furious.  Perhaps it was your system or your settings?

Considering I can play other mmorpgs out currently without this issue I somehow doubt it's my pc. If I was having the same problem in newer mmos such as CO, Aion, AoC, etc. then I might think that was the issue but it only happened in that game. My pc isn't top of the line but it's more than enough to run mmos out currently on the highest settings except for PvP intensive zones then I usually have to tweak it down a bit so I don't have any problems.

Glad the combat works for you but to me it was slow and awkward.  Even outside of combat the animations seem to work that way.  It was kind of funny watching some people trying to jump up some crates to get atop a trailer to snipe a mob.  People kept misjudging the timing due to the pause and would overjump or fall short of the crates XD

On a side note, I love how every time someone has a differing opinion relating to something of this nature others that disagree automatically respond with the whole, "Oh it's your hardware", schtick.  God forbid someone have a different opinion from their own I suppose >_>

I don't mind that you had a different opinion, friend.  I just find the combat in Fallen Earth *anything* but "sluggish" - it make me think perhaps it is your system and not the game itself.  Combat being "sluggish" in Fallen Earth doesn't seem to be common complaint among people playing the game.

A lot of the time it isn't the fact that your system isn't top of the line - it's a graphics driver, hardware component, or other setting just putting things out of whack.  Fallen Earth does take a bit of tweaking to get it running right - sorry it never worked out for you.  The reason people might have something to say about your "opinion" is that properly run, the game presents no "sluggish" problems, period.  

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Combat "sluggish" -?  I don't find it to be so at all.  I find the combat rather fast and furious.  Perhaps it was your system or your settings?

Considering I can play other mmorpgs out currently without this issue I somehow doubt it's my pc. If I was having the same problem in newer mmos such as CO, Aion, AoC, etc. then I might think that was the issue but it only happened in that game. My pc isn't top of the line but it's more than enough to run mmos out currently on the highest settings except for PvP intensive zones then I usually have to tweak it down a bit so I don't have any problems.

Glad the combat works for you but to me it was slow and awkward.  Even outside of combat the animations seem to work that way.  It was kind of funny watching some people trying to jump up some crates to get atop a trailer to snipe a mob.  People kept misjudging the timing due to the pause and would overjump or fall short of the crates XD

On a side note, I love how every time someone has a differing opinion relating to something of this nature others that disagree automatically respond with the whole, "Oh it's your hardware", schtick.  God forbid someone have a different opinion from their own I suppose >_>

I don't mind that you had a different opinion, friend.  I just find the combat in Fallen Earth *anything* but "sluggish" - it make me think perhaps it is your system and not the game itself.  Combat being "sluggish" in Fallen Earth doesn't seem to be common complaint among people playing the game.

A lot of the time it isn't the fact that your system isn't top of the line - it's a graphics driver, hardware component, or other setting just putting things out of whack.  Fallen Earth does take a bit of tweaking to get it running right - sorry it never worked out for you.  The reason people might have something to say about your "opinion" is that properly run, the game presents no "sluggish" problems, period.  

Fallen Earth's O.K.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

According to you.  I say that it does and I'm not the only person that has commented on that.  Whether they use the term clunky, sluggish, buggy, etc. others have commented on it.  As for other people commenting on my opinion the only person to do so is you.  My "side note" statement was a general observation about how this is treated when discussing games not something that happens to me on a regular basis or about this game specifically.

I think this is the only time I've had hardware brought up as a supposed problem I have although I've seen it thrown other's ways numerous times - sometimes valid and sometimes not.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• MithiosMithios Member Posts: 271

I'm going to have to agree with most everyone here. 2009 did nothing for MMORPGs. In my opinion, the last games that were truely worth anything were EQ, SWG pre NGE, and DAOC. This of course is only my opinion. EQ brought a world to life full of wonder through the first person persepective. SWG added realism to things like body movement, independent skills, and amazing crafting (for which EQ and DAOC did what I believe to be a good job of even though I'm just a casual crafter). DAOC is still tops (in my humble opinion) when it came to RVR and PvP in general, as well as guild structuring and overall lore and immersion.

A tiny mind is a tidy mind...

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641
    Originally posted by SpectralHunt

My pick is Champions Online.  I don't understand how Cryptic Studios, that made CoH could actually go backwards and not include the features that made CoH special.  Big disappointment in my book.
    But then again, they were bought out by Atari so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Pretty much this for me too

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

If I could tack on "Biggest Disappointment", I'd say Champions Online.  What a wasted opportunity...

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

For an existing game that fell off the cliff for me it would be hands down Everquest 2.

SoE builds neat games and then goes off the deep end with unusual late expansions and truly awful decisions.

John Smedly is a tool.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827
    Originally posted by Scottc

Originally posted by Ginkeq

I would give that award to WoW. 
    6 years in a row, Blizzard rocks.

p much this.  Darkfall is pretty awful too, so is Mortal Online, pretty much every MMORPG out there right now is shit.

Your huge fan of AC and you have 100% not played Darkfall so your full of ..... well you know what i mean come to darkfall boards try put down Darkfall as a troll hater you fail misrable .

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.