Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ouch, I think I am bored with MMOs

After the lack luster year of 2009 for the MMO market and little innovation I think I have burned out. I have played in most of the betas for the major (and some of the not so major releases) and all I can say is blah.

The only MMO I am playing is Champions right now and even then it is only once in a while.  Meanwhile, I am playing the proverbial crap out of some single player and co-op games. The four I am playing most right now are:

Dragon Age: Origins, Borderlands, L4D2, and Torchlight. I am about to dive into the PC version of Call of Duty 4; Modern Warfare 2.

I hope I am not just totally burned out and am looking forward to some upcoming games that may salvage the industry. These are:

APB, DC online, and The Old Republic. The all look to be bringing some fresh ideas.

I am a little interested in the Age of Conan Expansion. I played AOC to level cap on two characters and like how it has ended up. I "may" go back to it.

How do you feel? What games are you looking forward to in 2010?

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Well there's Earthrise and JGE, playing DFO right now and am looking forward to see what they have in store for that.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by dougmysticey

After the lack luster year of 2009 for the MMO market and little innovation I think I have burned out. I have played in most of the betas for the major (and some of the not so major releases) and all I can say is blah.
    The only MMO I am playing is Champions right now and even then it is only once in a while.  Meanwhile, I am playing the proverbial crap out of some single player and co-op games. The four I am playing most right now are:
    Dragon Age: Origins, Borderlands, L4D2, and Torchlight. I am about to dive into the PC version of Call of Duty 4; Modern Warfare 2.
    I hope I am not just totally burned out and am looking forward to some upcoming games that may salvage the industry. These are:
    APB, DC online, and The Old Republic. The all look to be bringing some fresh ideas.
    I am a little interested in the Age of Conan Expansion. I played AOC to level cap on two characters and like how it has ended up. I "may" go back to it.

Are you burned out on MMO's in general or just "bad" MMO's?  I am burned out on the latter.

The only game I look forward to is probably not releasing in 2010, although it could.  And that game is Everquest Next.  Let's hope Sony gets Norrath right again.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176
    Originally posted by pencilrick

Originally posted by dougmysticey

Are you burned out on MMO's in general or just "bad" MMO's?  I am burned out on the latter.

The only game I look forward to is probably not releasing in 2010, although it could.  And that game is Everquest Next.  Let's hope Sony gets Norrath right again.

Probably just bad ones.

I did like DFO, it was a new approach, but there are simply better games out there right now.

I think the industry needs some real innovation and some changes to the methodology. I ordered Warhammer Fantasy 4th edition (table top RPG) because Fantasy Flight Games has really tried something different and interesting. I think the MMO world needs a shot in the arm like that.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

You need a radical change to allieviate burnout.  Try real life golf or bowling.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Yeh after playing a shitload of games this year and none of them holding my interest i just decided to get myself a ps3 with some great single player games, so far i don't even feel like going on the computer anymore. Hopefully there's something worth to play by summer time.

• fnorgbyfnorgby Member Posts: 158

I have the same problem, OP.  For me, though, it includes single-player games.  I don't want to bash on DA:O, but for me it's just more of the same.  

Something groundbreaking has to happen in the MMO world to draw me back in.  And I don't just mean a new feature (like flight) or a new game mechanic (like the astral ships that Allods fanboys claim makes it not a wow clone).  Not a new end-game or high-lvl pvp mode -- because at this point I can't even GET to endgame.

The whole concept of "endgame" is (IMO) part of the problem.  Unlike a lot of the others in this thread, I do *not* see anything coming down the pipe to get excited about. 

For me, 2009 has been the year of Minesweeper and reinstalling Diablo 2 to re-do the singleplayer stuff.  Oh, and Civ 4.

I can also roleplay the tower in a chess game and shout "is that a peasant at the horizon I see? I will smash it I will! Oh damn I broke one of my merlons!". -- maji

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

The key for me is to not play too much. Taking a break while the game is still fun helps but the problem is if your having fun you dont want to take a break. Ive found  Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance books are a good fantasy fix. Like others, single player RPG's dont do much for me lately but I change up a bit there also. Shooters for a bit, action adventure, change of pace helps me anyway. My PS3 gets more use than I thought it would.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

I haven't played an MMO in a few weeks now, eventhough I'm still sub'd to Fallen Earth.  I love the game, and its still fun, I'm sure, but it just doesn't give me the same thrill it did when I first started at launch.  Don't get me wrong I feel I've gotten my moneys worth, I just don't have the drive to continue playing right now.

Thats kind of the way I feel about most MMOs recently.  I was looking on D2D yesterday and they had a ton of decently priced MMOs but nothing was appealing to me.

I've been playing borderlands like crazy on my 360, co-op with some friends, and its the most fun I've had in weeks.  Hopefully ToR will be worth the wait, but very few future games are holding my interest right now.