Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst Games Of 2009

What do you think are the worst games of 2009?

Click the dragon/egg to raise it or get your own.
Http://www.gameslash.tk - Gaming Discussion

Comments

• GinkeqGinkeq Member Posts: 615

I would give that award to WoW. 

6 years in a row, Blizzard rocks.

• ScottcScottc Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by Ginkeq

I would give that award to WoW. 
    6 years in a row, Blizzard rocks.

p much this.  Darkfall is pretty awful too, so is Mortal Online, pretty much every MMORPG out there right now is shit.

• iStyleiStyle Member Posts: 40

Evony. Nuff said.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Just about every mmo failed this year with people retrying them in hope they somehow become good overnight. That is just my opinion though because failure and success in mmos is in the eye of the beholder. :) Lets not kid ourselves though, there was nothing that made mmo gamers go crazy over.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It would be harder to say which was the best, most of the games had an awful buggy release and even the rest was rather uninteresting. 2 good titles seems to much to ask for but 1 shouldn't really be, lets hope next year will be better.

I still have the optimistic hope that Guildwars 2 will release to next X-mas :D 

• PiggyPopsPiggyPops Member Posts: 27

I hate Enony..

Click the dragon/egg to raise it or get your own.
    Http://www.gameslash.tk - Gaming Discussion

• camp11111camp11111 Member Posts: 602
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Just about every mmo failed this year with people retrying them in hope they somehow become good overnight. That is just my opinion though because failure and success in mmos is in the eye of the beholder. :) Lets not kid ourselves though, there was nothing that made mmo gamers go crazy over.

Not one MMO launched in 2009 was worth the initial investment nor a subscription.

People have the choice between Wow, Eve, Lotro. And these games were launched in 2004, 2003 and 2007.

Painful.

Want a real mmorpg? Play WOW with experience turned off mode and be Pve_Pvp King at any level without a rat race.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by camp11111

Not one MMO launched in 2009 was worth the initial investment nor a subscription.
    People have the choice between Wow, Eve, Lotro. And these games were launched in 2004, 2003 and 2007.
    Painful.

Even though I don't care for the game myself I would add EQ2 to that list.  Outside of that I agree with you.  Which is really sad to say but '09 was a rather dismal year for mmorpgs far as I'm concerned.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Justarius1Justarius1 Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Originally posted by camp11111

Painful.

Even though I don't care for the game myself I would add EQ2 to that list.  Outside of that I agree with you.  Which is really sad to say but '09 was a rather dismal year for mmorpgs far as I'm concerned.

Hmm.  I happen to enjoy Fallen Earth very, very much and it was released just a few months ago.  It's fresh, different, and fun.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

worst game i've played this year was Alganon. 

Biggest disappointment I played this year would be Aion hands down, but by no means the worst game. 

Originally posted by Justarius1

Hmm.  I happen to enjoy Fallen Earth very, very much and it was released just a few months ago.  It's fresh, different, and fun.

Eh, I wasn't real impressed with the game.  I enjoyed how it takes place in a different theme and some things really stood out to me such as the crafting but I found the combat in that game to be horribly sluggish to the point it affected my enjoyment of the game.

One thing I will say though is considering it's a small company they seem to be doing an outstanding job of working on issues in the game and the level of customer service they had going while I played was outstanding.  It was a welcome change actually seeing gms interacting with people inside the game, which in most titles any more you don't see much.  Far as customer service goes there are some much larger companies that could learn a thing or two from them least in my opinion.

Overall though the combat was so bad in the game I couldn't get into the game as I would have liked nor could I recommend it to anyone.  The game does have potential though at least.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455

My pick is Champions Online.  I don't understand how Cryptic Studios, that made CoH could actually go backwards and not include the features that made CoH special.  Big disappointment in my book.

But then again, they were bought out by Atari so it shouldn't be a surprise.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Biggest disappointment for me was Wrath of the Lich King. After the Burning Crusade it felt like they were milking the cow for 10 more levels. The areas were forgettable and just not as exciting. I started a new character and got him to level 52. Every old area I went through was deserted, after 52 levels I ran across only a handful of other people. I guess this is from the leveling system and zone level requirements. The world felt empty, now they are talking about another expansion to try to get people back into the old areas. With the XP increase on quests after 20 you can casually breeze past many of the old instances without even noticing. Once you reach 80 its either raiding, pvp, gold grinding, rep grinding, and/or achievement grinding and waiting until the next expansion comes out.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I'm enjoying LOTRO again, skirmishes were a nice addition for my PVE centric gaming.

With that said I've also enjoyed Allods beta!

With my family jumping into Aion, I've started enjoying that  game again.

My least favorite experiences of the year were Karos and Alganon. Karos was stereotypical MMORPG clone of the Korean variety, it felt A LOT like Shaiya to me, and was buggy to boot!

As for Alganon I just felt it was uninspiring, I would log in and run a few quests and just couldn't get myself to continue. I wouldn't say it was a feeling of 'been here done even though that' it's true that the quests weren't anything different than any other MMORPG, but I'd likely run similar quests in Aion or LOTRO and keep playing, there's just something about Alganon that doesn't 'catch' me, and I can't find words for what it is.  Sadly, of the two, I played Karos longer than I played Alganon.... to me that says a lot.

My best experience wasn't even an MMORPG, it was Dragon Age.

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

2009 was not a year I tried many different MMO's.

The worst game in 2009 for me was definately Fallen Earth. What a waste of money. Utter garbage.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055
    Originally posted by chrisel

The worst game in 2009 for me was definately Fallen Earth. What a waste of money. Utter garbage.

Wow, this just proves how one persons garbage is another persons treasure.  I really thought Fallen Earth was a fresh take on the genre and a pretty inspired MMO, but I realize everyone has differing tastes.

My vote for worst game of 2009 is Alganon hands down.  The game is horribly broken core gameplay wise and was no where near ready for release.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Eh, I wasn't real impressed with the game.  I enjoyed how it takes place in a different theme and some things really stood out to me such as the crafting but I found the combat in that game to be horribly sluggish to the point it affected my enjoyment of the game.

One thing I will say though is considering it's a small company they seem to be doing an outstanding job of working on issues in the game and the level of customer service they had going while I played was outstanding.  It was a welcome change actually seeing gms interacting with people inside the game, which in most titles any more you don't see much.  Far as customer service goes there are some much larger companies that could learn a thing or two from them least in my opinion.

Overall though the combat was so bad in the game I couldn't get into the game as I would have liked nor could I recommend it to anyone.  The game does have potential though at least.

Combat "sluggish" -?  I don't find it to be so at all.  I find the combat rather fast and furious.  Perhaps it was your system or your settings?

Hmm, interesting.  Fallen Earth has received several "Game of the Year" awards, a great review from the editors and users of this site, and it's personally my current favorite MMO.  I love it.  One man's trash is another man's treasure, indeed.  Out of curiosity, what did you dislike about the gameplay?

• FinbarFinbar Member UncommonPosts: 187

The worst game I played this year was a game called World of Warcraft. Bleeech. Don't even bother with it, all hype no game. (ZING!) - JOKE

FINBAR
    -------------------------------------------

• cyandkcyandk Member UncommonPosts: 142

Aion.. hyped as a good PvP game, with no PvP...

lold.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902
    Originally posted by Briansho

Biggest disappointment for me was Wrath of the Lich King. After the Burning Crusade it felt like they were milking the cow for 10 more levels. The areas were forgettable and just not as exciting. I started a new character and got him to level 52. Every old area I went through was deserted, after 52 levels I ran across only a handful of other people. I guess this is from the leveling system and zone level requirements. The world felt empty, now they are talking about another expansion to try to get people back into the old areas. With the XP increase on quests after 20 you can casually breeze past many of the old instances without even noticing. Once you reach 80 its either raiding, pvp, gold grinding, rep grinding, and/or achievement grinding and waiting until the next expansion comes out.

so, you didnt even make it to the burning crusade content.. much less the Wrath content.   How can you have an opinion on it, much less say it was a dissappointment if you never even saw it?

My biggest let down, probably Aion

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
    Combat "sluggish" -?  I don't find it to be so at all.  I find the combat rather fast and furious.  Perhaps it was your system or your settings?

Considering I can play other mmorpgs out currently without this issue I somehow doubt it's my pc. If I was having the same problem in newer mmos such as CO, Aion, AoC, etc. then I might think that was the issue but it only happened in that game. My pc isn't top of the line but it's more than enough to run mmos out currently on the highest settings except for PvP intensive zones then I usually have to tweak it down a bit so I don't have any problems.

Glad the combat works for you but to me it was slow and awkward.  Even outside of combat the animations seem to work that way.  It was kind of funny watching some people trying to jump up some crates to get atop a trailer to snipe a mob.  People kept misjudging the timing due to the pause and would overjump or fall short of the crates XD

On a side note, I love how every time someone has a differing opinion relating to something of this nature others that disagree automatically respond with the whole, "Oh it's your hardware", schtick.  God forbid someone have a different opinion from their own I suppose >_>

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Hmm, interesting.  Fallen Earth has received several "Game of the Year" awards, a great review from the editors and users of this site, and it's personally my current favorite MMO.  I love it.  One man's trash is another man's treasure, indeed.  Out of curiosity, what did you dislike about the gameplay?

What made it crap for me, was all the bugs, and I also felt the graphics subpar for such a new game like that. The whole setting was directly boring, nothing groundbreaking. I even found it annoying that I could not even swim on the waters. Such small things ruins my immersion in an MMO. I really found the whole world too monotone. I have no problems understanding this game is considered good by some players, but strangely enough, none of those I know in real life wants to play it anymore. But seriously; all the bugs drove me mad. Unfortunately the game still suffers under those.'

If I had played more MMO's in 2009 I would probably not have said Fallen Earth was the worst. I have become better checking sites like MMORPG before buying, and I am more patient to wait until games have been out, at least for a few days.

Fallen Earth is definately a game that deserves all the success; there are game mechanics that I would like to see work in that game. But to me, Fallen Earth was epic fail.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I think Aion was the biggest let down....although it wasn't a terrible game by any means. I even tried WAR and AOC...over a year after launch and found them to be more fun than AION. I've tried others including the recent  Fallen Earth trial. Fallen Earth was better than I expected...and I will probably play it again.  Initially ...I found the combat clunky...especially when the tab key seemed to lock out freedom of movement and targetting simultaneously....until I remapped the wasd keys in the traditional FPS/mmo fashion...then it was more managable. My problem...if it is, in fact, a problem...is that I  eventually find myself cycling back to WOW and LOTRO again and again. (... with Champions in reserve . I am one of the minority that actually likes Champions online..but just can't play more than one mmo at a time.) Just waiting to see if STO...TOR...and DCUO change the scenery with any true success or effect on my endless pattern.

Originally posted by BarCrow

I think Aion was the biggest let down....

Yeah, Aion was really disappointing.  I loved the PvP side of the game but dear god does the PvE ever get bad when you get into the high 30s. Really sucks too because PvP wise I loved that game : /