Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Restoring deleted files over 2 years old?

I'm looking to restore some videos and pictures I had on my computer that I deleted about a year and a half ago.

I've tried 2 different restoration softwares and while they have worked great, they don't seem to go past 2 months old, But the interesting thing is, I downloaded this restore software Recuva, and it recovered files from 2005, which is funny because this was suppose to be a brand new computer which I got in late 2007, so evidently the seller just swiped it clean ( Or so they thought ) and tried to get off with it as brand new.

The problem with Recuva, is that it's recovering really bizarre, useless random files, that are neither any of my old videos or pictures, or even other actual stuff I had on my computer, but just random odd crap useless files.

Anyone have any ideas of a technique, software, etc that could help me recover the files? The files I want were taken with a digital camera, some video some pictures and some of them then ended up being created in windows movie maker and saved as that type of file.

image Save me from this abyss of Hell Serge!

Comments

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Err bear in mind that when your computer writes in new data it writes in a random empty space which includes actuall empty space and space taken up by deleted files [you see files you delete are not errased your computer just forgets they exist].

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128
    Originally posted by HYPERI0N

Err bear in mind that when your computer writes in new data it writes in a random empty space which includes actuall empty space and space taken up by deleted files [you see files you delete are not errased your computer just forgets they exist].

If that other program couldn't do it I think you're hooped.

When you delete a file, all it does is remove the "start" symbol.

When you try to recouver them at a later date, the software tries to place as many of these "start" symbols and see's what pops up.

When you put new files on the harddrive, data "slots" without a "start" and "finish" on each end is considered blank and would be treated just like blank data.

After two years, it is highly likely that some part of those videos was written over, and the result is the data is un-recouverable.

The fact that older stuff was there is just a fluke, its all random for the most part.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...