Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Putting an end to MMORPG idea spam

Please, for everything that is good in this world, DO NOT POST YOUR MMO IDEAS. Why is this? Well, the first and most important reason is that these posts should go in the developer's corner section of the forum, anything like that here should be deleted by the moderation staff.

Secondly, you people must realize that anyone can come up with a good idea. It is the execution and execution only that matters.

If you had fun playing a game about jumping on jelly beans, but had a horrible time with a massive scale war on numerous planets with numerous weapons and numerous ways to fight. Which one would you prefer? Exactly, the jelly beans one.

This goes to show you that execution is more important than ideas.

So, ideas don't have their place? No, ideas can be shared and discussed (on the developers corner) for productive purposes. But seeing several people posting several topics on very basic information is tedious and annoying. I would encourage all to post your ideas in the Developers Corner and focus more on execution than ideas.

Type Seed Game into your search engine. Go to the game's website and learn about it. It may be the best game you've continued to ignore.

Comments

• WickesWickes Member UncommonPosts: 749

Heh, I don't even like most of the ideas I see posted here, but I enjoy reading different people's thoughts.  Seems to me this is a great place to discuss MMORPG ideas =)  Heck, it's the "pub" ain't it.  What shall we do ... just argue about which game is better all the time?

• KnowledgeKnowledge Member UncommonPosts: 140

Oh? image This is Darkbackward's forums?  Wow man I never knew that.  I actually thought these forums were mmorpg forums open to everyone to post whatever the hell they want to.  Granted you have obviously taken advantage of this freedom, speak for yourself.  I personally have never posted any ideas I've had for an MMORPG or any other game for that matter but I definately enjoy reading others' ideas.  If someone has general ideas about a non-existant rpg they can post them in the general discussion as they so desire.  Don't speak for the entire community, if anything make a poll.  See if anyone actually agrees with you before you go commanding people when and where to post their topics. 

Game ideas are interesting, inspiring and sometimes downright funny.  I don't see why anyone would mind reading them.  As for you, if you notice the topic is hinting towards an idea; DON'T CLICK IT. Otherwise, happy posting. image

True Knowledge is Knowing that you Know Knothing!

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726

if someone wants to put an idea here in the general discussion forum about mmorpg's then why would you try to stop them? its really none of your business actually, i dont see a mmorpg staff tag below your name, so stfu until it does. if you dont want to read them, then dont, its as simple as that.

• DarkbackwardDarkbackward Member Posts: 115

Got some fiery lil children dont' I.

The developers corner has an mmorpg idea place in it. Thus your ideas should go there, and that makes you all ignorant anuses!

I'm trying to put an end to here is my idea threads that revolve around dbz or obscure skill systems that pervade OUR pub.

And I used to be a moderator, and if I still was one I would definetly put an end to it. There is ample room else where for these posts, look up your facts, jerks.

Type Seed Game into your search engine. Go to the game's website and learn about it. It may be the best game you've continued to ignore.

Originally posted by Darkbackward

Got some fiery lil children dont' I.

The developers corner has an mmorpg idea place in it. Thus your ideas should go there, and that makes you all ignorant anuses!
    I'm trying to put an end to here is my idea threads that revolve around dbz or obscure skill systems that pervade OUR pub.
    And I used to be a moderator, and if I still was one I would definetly put an end to it. There is ample room else where for these posts, look up your facts, jerks.

Seeing an 'idea' thread isn't anywhere near as bad as another EQ2 vs WOW thread or hundreds of other garbage-ridden rants out there.  Guess that's why you used to be a moderator, thought it was all about control.  Well it's not.  So now you are just another member.  Leave it up to the mods to do their job.  Thanks.  image

I have sent you an email, buddy.

Look, as much as I hate to admit it, threads like eq2 vs. wow are meant for these forums. Since there is no game vs. forums, this is where they would go. Idea threads should go into the developers corner, and I know some developers who actually look at those forums. This is where they belong, not here. You do NOT post things on knight online (unless they are about concepts, which should also go into developers corner) in the pub, only in the knight forums.

If you support pub ideas here, then you are supporting quick posters and posters who know nothing of the forum to come here and rant. These are people who come looking for the fastest possible post available to share their ideas. However, those posts are clogging the true meaning of these forums.

And still you do not see the main point of my thread, the main point was to show that execution matters more than ideas do. How many kids have come on here with a ground breaking and earth shattering idea only to give up 20 minutes later? About every single one that posted? Exactly. If you can get a team, start working, and have the knowledge neccassary, then your point will be valid.

As far as moderation goes, your only right. I can't do squat, and a moderator could come here and tell me I'm an idiot and ban me. But I truly believe that mmorpg ideas should go where they were originally intended for, which is the developer's corner.

Thank you.

I have sent you an email, buddy.
    Look, as much as I hate to admit it, threads like eq2 vs. wow are meant for these forums. Since there is no game vs. forums, this is where they would go. Idea threads should go into the developers corner, and I know some developers who actually look at those forums. This is where they belong, not here. You do NOT post things on knight online (unless they are about concepts, which should also go into developers corner) in the pub, only in the knight forums.
    If you support pub ideas here, then you are supporting quick posters and posters who know nothing of the forum to come here and rant. These are people who come looking for the fastest possible post available to share their ideas. However, those posts are clogging the true meaning of these forums.
    And still you do not see the main point of my thread, the main point was to show that execution matters more than ideas do. How many kids have come on here with a ground breaking and earth shattering idea only to give up 20 minutes later? About every single one that posted? Exactly. If you can get a team, start working, and have the knowledge neccassary, then your point will be valid.
    As far as moderation goes, your only right. I can't do squat, and a moderator could come here and tell me I'm an idiot and ban me. But I truly believe that mmorpg ideas should go where they were originally intended for, which is the developer's corner.
    Thank you.

Well that's dandy you're still trying to do your job as a moderator and all you want is for posts to go in the proper section of the forums but guess what?  Your job as a moderator is over.  So let it go. 

Regardless of your sad, worthless demands toward anyone to stop doing this or continue doing that, everyone on these forums are going to continue doing what they do best.  Go with the flow and let the real moderators do their job.  image

I can see you like telling me what a jerk I am. But I fail to see any real debate to my opinion.

Debate 1: Ideas belong where in the devs corner

Debate 2: Content is better than Ideas

Now, come up with two decent arguments against those two points. What? You can't? Exactly. I realize that I am not a moderator, I was merely illustrating what the moderators at the time stood for. My abuse of moderation powers were not connected to my handling of the boards. This means that what I was doing was condoned by the forces at be.

At this point in time I wished I hadn't said that I was a moderator because you have taken that and used it as a shield against any productive or valid comments to my post or my ideas. So why don't you take the stick and drop some balls.

• jmd10222jmd10222 Member Posts: 427

THIS IS THE GENERAL FORUMS, THEREFORE PEOPLE CAN POST WHAT THEY WANT...

Seems a simple concept that you just cant grasp, if it bothers you that much go to another site and stop trying to play moderator image 

THANK YOU COME AGAINimage

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

How about an alternative Dark? Rather than respectfully request compliance from the patrons of this board, why not complain to the moderators and admin? We can piss and moan all day long but nothing will get settled till dad comes home and kicks all our asses.

I agree that ideas are a dime a dozen and that you shouldn't post them here unless you have a working prototype of some sort to demonstrate it to the rest of the class. In short, if you have a an idea, don't post it and then be a pompous ass to anyone that disagrees with your idea. Put your money where your mouth is and PROVE that your game is really the greatest thing since sliced bread. Otherwise you're just wasting your time and ours.

• Ken`ShieroKen`Shiero Member Posts: 289

Darkbackward is right, keep them to yourself. Not in a rude way but a good way. That way no one can steal your idea. I have great ideas millions of people have great ideas the worst thing they do is tell someone who is a "lame" I might add and steals it. Look at Bill Gates he stole the windows idea from his friend, He got even though coming up with the mackintosh and competing with him.

Lesson: Keep your ideas to yourself, not for there sake but yours.image

• JohnarkJohnark Member Posts: 901

What I'm wondering from the people that post their MMORPG ideas, is are they really expecting a competant programmer to read their MMORPG idea, think it's amazing, and actually ask the person if they can have the rights to produce the MMORPG?

Personally if I were a programmer, I'd just "steal" the idea since that person did not bother to put any copyrights in their thread, and you can't Copyright a public forum thread anyways, make the MMORPG and get all the money, then hear that person complain in the forums that their MMORPG idea was stolen, but they can't do anything about it.

If you really want your MMORPG to become a reality, write a detailed plan of your MMORPG, email it to developers privately and make it a PDF file so they cannot steal it, then maybe it will actually be worth something.

heck if George Lucas can steal other people's ideas to make Star Wars, what will stop anyone else from taking your ideas if you treasure them so much?  Unless you don't really care what happens to your MMORPG idea all that much.

___________ ___ __ _ _ _
    Stealth - Ambush - Hemorrhage - Sinister Strike x2 - Cold Blood - Eviscerate - Vanish - Preparation - Cold Blood - Ambush - ... you're dead! :P

• WickesWickes Member UncommonPosts: 749

I can't believe this is even a discussion.

Maybe people post ideas here to kick them around with other people and see what others think.  Maybe they do hope somebody will see an idea and use it and then they will have a game that suits their desires. Maybe they are just killing time fantazing. Maybe they are just having "fun", a concept which seems to be foreign to some of you.  Whatever.  Who the hell cares.  It's a "pub" section and within the rules people can post whatever they want.  If you don't want to read them, don't.

BTW I *really* don't think the people who post here are so stupid as not to realize that somebody can just grab an idea which is posted in a public forum.

My god people, leave other people alone.  Let others have fun without trying to jam your own rules down their throats.  With all the things in the world to worry about you take time out to worry about people posting ideas??

• r0hnr0hn Member Posts: 185

Please, for everything that is good in this world, DO NOT POST YOUR MMO IDEAS.
    Secondly, you people must realize that anyone can come up with a good idea. It is the execution and execution only that matters.

Who died and made you grandmother?  I can't think of a more stupid idea then this one.   Start up your own website, and enforce any stupid policy you want too.

Please don't think you know something you really don't.  Don't try to stop creativity, you are not that good at it.

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Please DO NOT stop posting your ideas on how to make a better MMOG. They are invaluable places to weed out poor ideas, uncover where ideas already exist in the MMOG landscape, and otherwise continue a dialog about the genre.

Post on.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Earth shattering reality check: ideas are worthless. Everyone has at least one idea and chances are it's not original. Coming from a creative background I can honestly say that no one is going to steal your idea and pull it off the same way you would. Most professionals won't steal your idea because they are paid, in part,  by their reputation. Using a few ideas from other games is okay, taking another persons concept altogether is career sucide.

I'm open to new ideas but I really would rather be shown an idea than be told about it. With all the open source code and server emulators floating around, there really isn't any reason that you can't hack your idea together into a playable demo and show it to us. Ideas become worth something when they turn into something real. A vague and poorly written description has no value whereas a working demo can be pure gold.

As for Dark's original post, he is correct that this is a design issue and rightfully belongs on the designer's corner. However, this is a pub board for general discussion so it can also fit here. I'd personally rather hear a discussion about what games actually work and why, but that's just me. Come to think of it, I'd also like to hear about what games fail and why. Alas, those are subjects for their own thread.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Welcome to the Dark Side Darkbackward!

*heavy breathing*

Johnak: Young padawan, I suppose that most peoples sharing ideas here are merely players and they are just doing this like you could throw a stone in a waterfall and make a wish, yet, somehow, here it have a tiny chance to become reality.  Devs corners have more chances to become reality because if a devs is bored and trolling for ideas, he will be there.  I would hardly consider ''stealing'' when someone give freely, beware the pull of the Dark Side!

*cant wait for KOTOR2 PC version, the graphics on the Xbox where looking crappy so I pick PC this time*

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe 

In short, if you have a an idea, don't post it and then be a pompous butt to anyone that disagrees with your idea.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Otherwise you're just wasting your time and ours.

Okay starters.  These general boards, are for any type of conversation to go around (if I can recall correctly).

Second, any posts about your ideas keep them flourishing only for the fact that some day a person will come along and grasp at someones ideas and go ahead with them.  Not everyone can use a computer and make some type of super-code, but its the person w/the idea that starts to create the wheel for someone else to step in and then perfect it.  So no, you're wasting no ones time, unless they're going to sit here and moan that someone is posting an idea...If you ask me, why read them if you're going to complain.

Honestly, one of the stupidest threads i've ran across on mmorpg.com. Save the one where someone said "You can play as indian or a human"

But seriously, if you can, please stay on topic and if you must post about ideas and you're a veteran to the site do use teh MMO Ideas folder.

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

This discussion has been closed.