Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old School player returning

bwilliamsonbwilliamson Member Posts: 21

I quit everquest back in 2003 to go back to college knowing that I would never finish the 2nd go around unless I did.. I sold my characters, and had a nice cushion because of it. Now I'm coming home, and had a blast playing the free trial. I am looking into the best deal out there right now for coming into the game.. I have the Everquest Titanium box but I doubt it is even worth while to install now, and missing so many expansions..  I don't know anyone now playing.. I played on the old torvonnilous server that is now Fennin Ro so I'll probably just role on there.. I played a Level 65 Cleric, and Magician.. I will probably play another Cleric because I loved the end game play as a Cleric even though I couldn't solo or farm for crap like my Beastlord friend who farmed in some caverns killing spiders.. So I'm basically curious on a couple of things

1. Does this game still have respectful players in it? Back then reputation was a big deal.. If you were an ass, you may as well delete your character.

2. How is the community toward new comers? Helpful? Are there many guilds that will help returning players/newbies all together? I love the challenge of this game, but I do not want to be stuck because of low populations needing groups.. Unlike other games, you have to get groups to do things in this game. I'd log on sometimes on my old character, and sell HoV near Nexus book in PoK while in LFG for hours... That did suck at times

Comments

• bwilliamsonbwilliamson Member Posts: 21

I'm looking at the Underfoot pre-release purchase on SOE site.. Can I buy this now, and start playing then get Underfoot or would I have to wait until the 15th with my purchase.

• AzarealAzareal Member UncommonPosts: 163

Sorry I can't really help you with your queries but I just wanted to say "I salute you for playing a cleric endgame." I mean that because I know what a tough job it is for clerics in endgame. Man, I have no idea how you guys all keep the heals together during raids. I peeked into the healer channels during a raid once and it blew my mind. Talk about precision and timing. I absolutely refuse to log mine in for raids since I knew that everyone would just suffer prema deaths if I played my cleric.

For what it's worth, I hear that EQ is 99% endgame these days. Maybe you should try FV server ? At the very least you can probably find some good gear in baz due to the non no-drop rule there.

Good luck.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Hey there, welcome back to EQ! Community is still pretty helpful. Not sure about how the underfoot purchase will work regarding previous expansions. I had secrets of faydwer and then purchased seeds of destruction. Good luck whatever you do, and have fun. If server name isn't important, you should go to Mayong since it's the most happening at the moment.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Ok first of all, I am like Bwill, I quit the game in 2003 or around there, after planes of power.

For Bwill, Steam has Seeds of Destruction (the last expansion before the underfoot one) with all previous expansions plus 30 days free for $5.  yeah, really 5 dollars. You can't beat that and I couldn't either. They sell Underfoot on there too but it's $35.00 and I kinda wanna get my feet wet and see if the game is worth playing again. EQ was always the best game I have ever played, but so much of it was the community and knowing the ins and outs of the game, the challenge of being a non 2 boxing warrior and meeting so many cool people. Coming back after 6 years is kind of daunting, as I have no idea where to go except luclin and before.  I understand I will probably be soloing for a while, and that is ok with me, I just have no clue about the new stuff. But hell, it's 5 bucks...

Where is the best starting area? I imagine none of the old starting areas are used much. Maybe Luclin is? I liked that Fungal Cave or whatever it was called in Luclin for the teen levels. I am sure there are better places now days though.  I am thinking of making a Necro or Mage, I had a low level necrognome when I used to play and liked the class. How easy is it to use the mercenaries?

Any help for a old school EQ player coming back as a total noob would be vastly helpful.  Thanks!

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Killing inside Crescent Reach until 15 (doing quests) is not a bad idea. Some people do the tutorial until 10 first-- if you haven't done it before/recently, it might be worth a swing through there.

Crescent Reach is the new universal newbie area.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by bwilliamson

I quit everquest back in 2003 to go back to college knowing that I would never finish the 2nd go around unless I did.. I sold my characters, and had a nice cushion because of it. Now I'm coming home, and had a blast playing the free trial. I am looking into the best deal out there right now for coming into the game.. I have the Everquest Titanium box but I doubt it is even worth while to install now, and missing so many expansions..  I don't know anyone now playing.. I played on the old torvonnilous server that is now Fennin Ro so I'll probably just role on there.. I played a Level 65 Cleric, and Magician.. I will probably play another Cleric because I loved the end game play as a Cleric even though I couldn't solo or farm for crap like my Beastlord friend who farmed in some caverns killing spiders.. So I'm basically curious on a couple of things

1. Does this game still have respectful players in it? Back then reputation was a big deal.. If you were an ass, you may as well delete your character.

2. How is the community toward new comers? Helpful? Are there many guilds that will help returning players/newbies all together? I love the challenge of this game, but I do not want to be stuck because of low populations needing groups.. Unlike other games, you have to get groups to do things in this game. I'd log on sometimes on my old character, and sell HoV near Nexus book in PoK while in LFG for hours... That did suck at times

um clerics can solo now higher up much easyer.an theirs a merc system now so you can hire your own tank if you dont have one handy.an real clerics are sought for .merc clerics are nice but a real cleric beats thenm hands down.

1. its a smaller conmunity so yes rep still is important .in some cases more so.

2. yeah i can only speek for bristalbane tho.many a time i seen where in chat people help regear returners best they can. group with them with alts ,etc etc.its one of the nicer things in mmos you dont see in wow or other games realy.or at least not that often.

welcome back. if ya buy the new expasion underfoot. you get all the previous content.theirs a ton of it. few other games  can match it for its scope.but time vs reward lessens on older quests over time .mudflation has always been a problem imho.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)