Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A N00bs, ongoing, review of EvE (will end 01/24).

WhackANewbieWhackANewbie Member Posts: 225

Today is my first day in the EvE universe. I have been playing MMOs since late 2008 only because I did not have a PC that was capable to run them. WoW was my first MMO and since then I have played many. I took advantage of the Steam sell and got Eve and CO. Today is my first day of playing EvE: I have been playing for only 3 hours. I will be adding more when it seems right too, so here goes:

This game is known for having a steep learning curve and I do agree. The tuturial is great, though. Though still confused at times (due to my lack of space games) I am steadily learning. The tutorial does do a great job of explaining. I am a Gallante/Gallante class. Name is, queue music....'WhackANewbie". The graphic scheme is pitch perfect. This game is 5 years old and the style still look amazing. I am not sure if they have updated the graphics with each add-on but as simplistic as these graphics, like Fallen Earth, appear to be they work extremely well. As far as pacing it, thus far, seems slower than usual. I am not sure if it will always feel like this or if it is just because I am beginning. Regardless, if it is always at this pace I have no issue with that. With Wow you would command your toon to run/fly somwehere for a minute. With Eve it seems the same with the exception that the ship manuveurs itself; I can't tell it to turn left or right, but it still would take the same time to get to a point as in any other MMO were you full on command the movement. Again, I have no issue nor do I see why anyone else would.

The UI is still taking time to get used to. Not sure if I need everything on screen but I will find out the later I progress. The text really hurt my eyes but I found out I could make it bigger so it is of no concern anymore.

Thus far the community has been great, and mature but I expected it to be, like Fallen Earth. I like the background noise; it is very atmospheric and very fitting. Usually I listen to my own music, with any MMO.

One thing I am happy with, and I am not sure if others will agree, is it is easy to switch out to the internet with this game from windows. Most MMOs there is a long pause when I hit the key to minimize but this game does a great job of being able to go to the internet right away while I am warping or doing something else.

I guess that is all for now, I will be back again when I feel it is appropriate. For 5 dollars anyone should try this out. Or do the 14, or the 21 day free trial (which you can find, easily). This MMO is different. I, myself, am not a fan of space sci-fi games but I am giving this a chance and thus far I am still wanting to play. Who knows about CO though....

Comments

• pauldriverpauldriver Member Posts: 198

Best Christmas present you could give to yourself in my opinion. Welcome to EVE:)

Jam is sticky.

• WhackANewbieWhackANewbie Member Posts: 225

I don't know. I got a rather sick jacket and cardigan. The ladies love it. <---- that always wins

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

to move your ship on any direction double click and will move on that direction

also for the UI IMO the best is coolgrey 

also to make some "zooms"  whit the camera press R-click then L-click and move your mouse frontward :D

BestSigEver :P

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    Originally posted by WhackANewbie

Today is my first day in the EvE universe. I have been playing MMOs since late 2008 only because I did not have a PC that was capable to run them. WoW was my first MMO and since then I have played many. I took advantage of the Steam sell and got Eve and CO. Today is my first day of playing EvE: I have been playing for only 3 hours. I will be adding more when it seems right too, so here goes:
    This game is known for having a steep learning curve and I do agree. The tuturial is great, though. Though still confused at times (due to my lack of space games) I am steadily learning. The tutorial does do a great job of explaining. I am a Gallante/Gallante class. Name is, queue music....'WhackANewbie". The graphic scheme is pitch perfect. This game is 5 years old and the style still look amazing. I am not sure if they have updated the graphics with each add-on but as simplistic as these graphics, like Fallen Earth, appear to be they work extremely well. As far as pacing it, thus far, seems slower than usual. I am not sure if it will always feel like this or if it is just because I am beginning. (it all depends on what you do, the pace is sometimes real fast, sometimes to fast for me to act on time, sometimes i read a book while i wait.)Regardless, if it is always at this pace I have no issue with that. With Wow you would command your toon to run/fly somwehere for a minute. With Eve it seems the same with the exception that the ship manuveurs itself; I can't tell it to turn left or right (you can double click in any part of space and your ship will go that way, remember that you are flying large sized ships. this is not a fighter dogfight game. imagine you being the captain of a ship the size of the enterprize, yo ujust dont spin on a dime., but it still would take the same time to get to a point as in any other MMO were you full on command the movement. Again, I have no issue nor do I see why anyone else would.
    The UI is still taking time to get used to. Not sure if I need everything on screen but I will find out the later I progress. (sometimes you might need more, much more. learn to rely on your sensors (like real pilots) spend the time to customize the UI to your liking, it will be worth it later.) The text really hurt my eyes but I found out I could make it bigger so it is of no concern anymore.
    Thus far the community has been great, and mature but I expected it to be, like Fallen Earth. I like the background noise; it is very atmospheric and very fitting. Usually I listen to my own music, with any MMO. there is an inside joke going in eve since it started, " there is sound in eve?" but now you can add your own music to the jukebox player inside the game
    One thing I am happy with, and I am not sure if others will agree, is it is easy to switch out to the internet with this game from windows the game has its own browser now with google chrome technology, though you cant use flash yet due to some security reasons but im sure it will be here soon. . Most MMOs there is a long pause when I hit the key to minimize but this game does a great job of being able to go to the internet right away while I am warping or doing something else. you no longer need to alt tab for your music or internet needs
    I guess that is all for now, I will be back again when I feel it is appropriate. For 5 dollars anyone should try this out. Or do the 14, or the 21 day free trial (which you can find, easily). This MMO is different. I, myself, am not a fan of space sci-fi games but I am giving this a chance and thus far I am still wanting to play. Who knows about CO though....

welcome to eve mate, (send me a PM if you need any help or guidance, might even recruit you if i like you)

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166

Edit: How the **** did I just post?

Well then I might as well comment that the graphics have indeed been updated and as recent as this december the planets, moons and starfield was upgraded.