Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ROFL I am still playing Dragon Age!

2»

Comments

  • xtoturnwithixtoturnwithi Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by Swoogie

    Originally posted by Cpt_Picard

    Originally posted by Swoogie

    Originally posted by Swoogie

    Originally posted by ratternatter


    swoogie you should play SWKOTOR and baldur's gate if you like this game. Anyone who is into rpgs should have played baldurs gate! =D



     

    Thanks, I prolly will. Along with Oblivion. Best Buy has all these games really cheap



     

    Oh ya and what about Mass Effect2? Will that be any good? I have read up on it and it doesnt make sense , is there NPC's in your party like DA:O or is it just you flying solo?

     

    I'm fairly certain the npc's will be in you're party like any bioware game

    But then you can switch to them like in Dragon Age? HOw does that work if ME2 is a FPS?

     



     

    It's not an FPS. It's a third-person action RPG, but you can't control party members directly. Just issue commands via a radial menu.

  • czedlitzczedlitz Member Posts: 27

     I have been wanting this game, but i don't want to spend so much on a game right now in the middle of the holidays.. now that they are over, maybe next paycheck or something and i will be playing also.

  • Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190


    Originally posted by Swoogie

    Originally posted by Cpt_Picard

    Originally posted by Swoogie

    Originally posted by Swoogie

    Originally posted by ratternatter

    swoogie you should play SWKOTOR and baldur's gate if you like this game. Anyone who is into rpgs should have played baldurs gate! =D


     
    Thanks, I prolly will. Along with Oblivion. Best Buy has all these games really cheap


     
    Oh ya and what about Mass Effect2? Will that be any good? I have read up on it and it doesnt make sense , is there NPC's in your party like DA:O or is it just you flying solo?


     
    I'm fairly certain the npc's will be in you're party like any bioware game

    But then you can switch to them like in Dragon Age? HOw does that work if ME2 is a FPS?
     

    Um...It'll work the same way it worked in Mass Effect 1? (Which BTW you should pick up after you finish DAO, and after you beat ME pick up KotOR)

  • merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Originally posted by Swoogie

    Originally posted by Cpt_Picard

    Originally posted by Swoogie

    Originally posted by Swoogie

    Originally posted by ratternatter


    swoogie you should play SWKOTOR and baldur's gate if you like this game. Anyone who is into rpgs should have played baldurs gate! =D



     

    Thanks, I prolly will. Along with Oblivion. Best Buy has all these games really cheap



     

    Oh ya and what about Mass Effect2? Will that be any good? I have read up on it and it doesnt make sense , is there NPC's in your party like DA:O or is it just you flying solo?

     

    I'm fairly certain the npc's will be in you're party like any bioware game

    But then you can switch to them like in Dragon Age? HOw does that work if ME2 is a FPS?

     

     

    In Mass effect you have 2 npcs with you almost all the time. And you can switch to them just like other Bioware games. I just couldn't ever get into it that much because, for some reason shooting at things isn't as  much fun as swinging a sword at them.

    I am enjoying Dragon Age as well, having a blast, in fact. If you like it though you should definitely check out their other titles, particularly Baulders Gate and Neverwinter Nights. With NWN, you can go out and download hundreds of player mods and be entertained for years, literally.

     

  • scabbedangelscabbedangel Member UncommonPosts: 117

    Planescape: Torment

     

    I think I'll play you again.

  • MithiosMithios Member Posts: 271

    If you like sci-fi, then try Bioware's Mass effect. It is very similar to how Dragon Age works. The music and plot-changing, interactive cut scenes (working in time together) will blow your hair back. You actually "feel" the game.

    A tiny mind is a tidy mind...

  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by coffee


    I got board about 20% of the way through the game (as I did with Masseffect).. got to the mage tower-thingy and gave up.. didin't hold my interest, now if it was co-op that would be a different matter. I cannot play single player RPG's any more, always feels like something is missing.
    The next RPG ill be buying is Diablo 3... should have the right mix of solo and group play.



     

    Sorry you got bored with the game. I gather you are too into online play. I have a friend like that in that he can't play single player games anymore. I like both and often I'll stop playing an mmo for a few days and the single player rpg is a great break from an mmo.

    Diablo 3 is a different ball of wax as it is a action "rpg" rather than a story driven rpg. I'll be getting that too, I like mindless killing now and then ;-p

  • ratternatterratternatter Member Posts: 20

    Oh yea Planescape: Torment is a gem!

  • FaituFaitu Member Posts: 90

    I'm on my second play now, went Human Warrior first, going Mage now. And yes, Mage is much more enjoyable to play. D:

  • GreygonGreygon Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by coffee


    I got board about 20% of the way through the game (as I did with Masseffect).. got to the mage tower-thingy and gave up.. didin't hold my interest, now if it was co-op that would be a different matter. I cannot play single player RPG's any more, always feels like something is missing.
    The next RPG ill be buying is Diablo 3... should have the right mix of solo and group play.



     

    I feel sorry for you if you got bored 20% into DA. 

     

    1st, you missed a GREAT game.

    2nd, you need to get on some ADD meds or something.  How the heck do you get bored in DA? 

    3rd, Maybe you name explains alot?  Possibly a switch to decaf might be in order?

  • tvalentinetvalentine Member Posts: 4,216
    Originally posted by Greygon

    Originally posted by coffee


    I got board about 20% of the way through the game (as I did with Masseffect).. got to the mage tower-thingy and gave up.. didin't hold my interest, now if it was co-op that would be a different matter. I cannot play single player RPG's any more, always feels like something is missing.
    The next RPG ill be buying is Diablo 3... should have the right mix of solo and group play.



     

    I feel sorry for you if you got bored 20% into DA. 

     

    1st, you missed a GREAT game.

    2nd, you need to get on some ADD meds or something.  How the heck do you get bored in DA? 

    3rd, Maybe you name explains alot?  Possibly a switch to decaf might be in order?



     

    oh no somebody didnt like my game!!1!!1! There must be something wrong with him medically!

    image

    Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

  • rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

    Okay, so I got some gift cards for Christmas and bought Dragon Age....

    Fuccin awesome!!!

    I'm lovin it...I played all weekend long!!!...

    I hope it just gets better...

    PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

    WAITING FOR: Dust 514

  • tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by coffee


    I got board about 20% of the way through the game (as I did with Masseffect).. got to the mage tower-thingy and gave up.. didin't hold my interest, now if it was co-op that would be a different matter. I cannot play single player RPG's any more, always feels like something is missing.
    The next RPG ill be buying is Diablo 3... should have the right mix of solo and group play.



     

    I agree. Cool concept, but the game is getting boring. The Controls alone, is annoying. Also if they added a better interface, like Keyboard/Mouse, then this game could have reached Mutiplayer gameplay controls, which would rock for a game like this.

    Also the Cut scenes are just too much. Its getting nerve wracking! This game could have been alot better.

    The controls are just too slow and clunky for a game that is already slowed down by so many dam cut scenes.

  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,333


    Originally posted by tro44_1
    Originally posted by coffee I got board about 20% of the way through the game (as I did with Masseffect).. got to the mage tower-thingy and gave up.. didin't hold my interest, now if it was co-op that would be a different matter. I cannot play single player RPG's any more, always feels like something is missing.
    The next RPG ill be buying is Diablo 3... should have the right mix of solo and group play.

     
    I agree. Cool concept, but the game is getting boring. The Controls alone, is annoying. Also if they added a better interface, like Keyboard/Mouse, then this game could have reached Mutiplayer gameplay controls, which would rock for a game like this.
    Also the Cut scenes are just too much. Its getting nerve wracking! This game could have been alot better.
    The controls are just too slow and clunky for a game that is already slowed down by so many dam cut scenes.


    Completely agree. Although,calling the conversations cutscenes isn't quite fair. For me, I just traded this game in after trying numerous times to sit down and get into the game since November. Every time I came to the overly long, ONE CAMERA ANGLE conversations I would start to lose focus and just became bored. On top of that, fighting wasn't really fun enough to draw me in either and I thought the landscape graphics paled in comparison to games like LOTRO, EQ2, AoC, or any FF game.

    That being said, for the trolls and haters who will berate me, I am a huge fan of Baldur's Gate and Torment and even the icewind Dale games, but so far these newer Bioware games with too many conversation screens are driving me nuts and make me fear for SWTOR.

  • xtoturnwithixtoturnwithi Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by elocke


     

    Originally posted by tro44_1


    Originally posted by coffee
     
    I got board about 20% of the way through the game (as I did with Masseffect).. got to the mage tower-thingy and gave up.. didin't hold my interest, now if it was co-op that would be a different matter. I cannot play single player RPG's any more, always feels like something is missing.

    The next RPG ill be buying is Diablo 3... should have the right mix of solo and group play.



     

     

    I agree. Cool concept, but the game is getting boring. The Controls alone, is annoying. Also if they added a better interface, like Keyboard/Mouse, then this game could have reached Mutiplayer gameplay controls, which would rock for a game like this.

    Also the Cut scenes are just too much. Its getting nerve wracking! This game could have been alot better.

    The controls are just too slow and clunky for a game that is already slowed down by so many dam cut scenes.


     

    Completely agree. Although,calling the conversations cutscenes isn't quite fair. For me, I just traded this game in after trying numerous times to sit down and get into the game since November. Every time I came to the overly long, ONE CAMERA ANGLE conversations I would start to lose focus and just became bored. On top of that, fighting wasn't really fun enough to draw me in either and I thought the landscape graphics paled in comparison to games like LOTRO, EQ2, AoC, or any FF game.

    That being said, for the trolls and haters who will berate me, I am a huge fan of Baldur's Gate and Torment and even the icewind Dale games, but so far these newer Bioware games with too many conversation screens are driving me nuts and make me fear for SWTOR.

     

    BooWare games are all about story. Without the conversations, they wouldn't be able to tell the story they wanted to tell. Personally, I sometimes think the conversations are the best parts of the game. And they help you empathize with/appreciate the characters as more than just armour and stats.

    As far as multiplayer, I'm personally glad there isn't any. The gaming industry as a whole is sort of forcefeeding us multiplayer games and sometimes I just want to play a game and not have to deal with other people. Borderlands did solo/multi play the best way possible, and if other games followed that model, multiplayer may not suck so bad, but there were so many times on multiplayer games that I wanted to reach through my headset and strangle people because I couldn't abide their immaturity or impatience. Borderlands, all you have to do is exit to the lobby and continue on your own.

  • Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880

    Game covers all corners pretty much ive played through the game twice and still find it fun and exciting. The characters are what really brings the game to life.

  • xtoturnwithixtoturnwithi Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by frozenlove21


    First thing I want to mention is my experience with Direct2Drive and my preorder. As readers here know I’m a huge D2D fan (and greatly prefer it over Steam), and their execution for Dragon Age was spot on for me. I was able to pre-download it a few days ago, and thanks to their online countdown widget, I knew exactly when the activation key was being release to allow you to install and play the game. I got the key promptly, the install went smoothly, and in less time than it would have taken me to even put the physical DVD in, I was installed and ready to go. Very happy with this experience overall, as I usually am anytime I’m dealing with D2D.
    I was able to fire up the game, download all the pre-order, special edition, and DA Journeys content after logging in to my EA account, get my pre-generated character loaded, and start playing. Just as with D2D, everything here was flawless, and really set the tone of an extremely polished and well thought-out execution. Hats off to Bioware and EA (yes, good job EA).
    It took only a few minutes in-game to make me realize I’m playing 3D Baulders Gate, and I mean that as the highest compliment. It really was a ‘holy shit’ moment too, as I had to blink, stop, and just marvel at the fact that in 2009, with a gorgeous game on my screen, I really was looking at Baulders Gate. The adrenaline was flowing at this point as highlights of Baulders Gate flashed in my mind and I could only begin to speculate what Dragon Age was going to offer. Yes, I was hyping Dragon Age in my mind to an almost unfair level after only having played it for about five minutes, but so far it’s lived up to all of it and more.
    I have a rather high-end system (especially now thanks to the 295GTX), and the game picked up on this and defaulted the settings to the highest level, which I’ve left as is and not tinkered with. At this setting, the game is just flat-out beautiful. Characters look amazingly real while somehow avoiding the uncanny valley, great details fill every shot, and the animations are both epic and fitting in combat. The engine is this amazing mix of hack-and-slash LOOKING action will PLAYING exactly like a slower-paced, pause-at-any-time, tactical RPG. It really is the best of both worlds here, and an amazing accomplishment for Bioware. The sound, voice acting, and music are all top-notch as well. I’ve had zero crashes or errors in the 5-6 hours I’ve played, which is just fantastic for keeping you in-game and focused on the story.
    Obviously, I highly recommend Dragon Age to anyone with even a slight RPG interest, as so far it’s played as just one of those games that’s head and shoulders above the norm. I write this while sitting here excited to get back into it, and baring a complete 180 at some point, Dragon Age should put itself among the top RPGs I’ve ever played.

    If you love it THAT much after just 5 hours, I promise you this: By the end, you'll love it a million times more.

  • Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880
    Originally posted by xtoturnwithi

    Originally posted by frozenlove21


    First thing I want to mention is my experience with Direct2Drive and my preorder. As readers here know I’m a huge D2D fan (and greatly prefer it over Steam), and their execution for Dragon Age was spot on for me. I was able to pre-download it a few days ago, and thanks to their online countdown widget, I knew exactly when the activation key was being release to allow you to install and play the game. I got the key promptly, the install went smoothly, and in less time than it would have taken me to even put the physical DVD in, I was installed and ready to go. Very happy with this experience overall, as I usually am anytime I’m dealing with D2D.
    I was able to fire up the game, download all the pre-order, special edition, and DA Journeys content after logging in to my EA account, get my pre-generated character loaded, and start playing. Just as with D2D, everything here was flawless, and really set the tone of an extremely polished and well thought-out execution. Hats off to Bioware and EA (yes, good job EA).
    It took only a few minutes in-game to make me realize I’m playing 3D Baulders Gate, and I mean that as the highest compliment. It really was a ‘holy shit’ moment too, as I had to blink, stop, and just marvel at the fact that in 2009, with a gorgeous game on my screen, I really was looking at Baulders Gate. The adrenaline was flowing at this point as highlights of Baulders Gate flashed in my mind and I could only begin to speculate what Dragon Age was going to offer. Yes, I was hyping Dragon Age in my mind to an almost unfair level after only having played it for about five minutes, but so far it’s lived up to all of it and more.
    I have a rather high-end system (especially now thanks to the 295GTX), and the game picked up on this and defaulted the settings to the highest level, which I’ve left as is and not tinkered with. At this setting, the game is just flat-out beautiful. Characters look amazingly real while somehow avoiding the uncanny valley, great details fill every shot, and the animations are both epic and fitting in combat. The engine is this amazing mix of hack-and-slash LOOKING action will PLAYING exactly like a slower-paced, pause-at-any-time, tactical RPG. It really is the best of both worlds here, and an amazing accomplishment for Bioware. The sound, voice acting, and music are all top-notch as well. I’ve had zero crashes or errors in the 5-6 hours I’ve played, which is just fantastic for keeping you in-game and focused on the story.
    Obviously, I highly recommend Dragon Age to anyone with even a slight RPG interest, as so far it’s played as just one of those games that’s head and shoulders above the norm. I write this while sitting here excited to get back into it, and baring a complete 180 at some point, Dragon Age should put itself among the top RPGs I’ve ever played.

    If you love it THAT much after just 5 hours, I promise you this: By the end, you'll love it a million times more.

    Heh since theres quite a few ways it can end and different routes you can take you'll be back after you beat it for the first time.

  • MelMel2MelMel2 Member UncommonPosts: 8

    I'd suggest Mass Effect to anybody who loved DA:O.  The choice - consequence is crucial in that game, and with the sequel dropping within the month and the setup they've made for the sequel it's a must play, then Mass Effect 2 when it comes out...

  • karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

    I played through 5 times and am thinking about getting the new downloadable content. I loved Mass Effects story as well and can't wait until the sequel comes out.

  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,333


    Originally posted by xtoturnwithi
    Originally posted by elocke  

    Originally posted by tro44_1

    Originally posted by coffee
     
    I got board about 20% of the way through the game (as I did with Masseffect).. got to the mage tower-thingy and gave up.. didin't hold my interest, now if it was co-op that would be a different matter. I cannot play single player RPG's any more, always feels like something is missing.
    The next RPG ill be buying is Diablo 3... should have the right mix of solo and group play.
     
     
    I agree. Cool concept, but the game is getting boring. The Controls alone, is annoying. Also if they added a better interface, like Keyboard/Mouse, then this game could have reached Mutiplayer gameplay controls, which would rock for a game like this.
    Also the Cut scenes are just too much. Its getting nerve wracking! This game could have been alot better.
    The controls are just too slow and clunky for a game that is already slowed down by so many dam cut scenes.



     
    Completely agree. Although,calling the conversations cutscenes isn't quite fair. For me, I just traded this game in after trying numerous times to sit down and get into the game since November. Every time I came to the overly long, ONE CAMERA ANGLE conversations I would start to lose focus and just became bored. On top of that, fighting wasn't really fun enough to draw me in either and I thought the landscape graphics paled in comparison to games like LOTRO, EQ2, AoC, or any FF game.
    That being said, for the trolls and haters who will berate me, I am a huge fan of Baldur's Gate and Torment and even the icewind Dale games, but so far these newer Bioware games with too many conversation screens are driving me nuts and make me fear for SWTOR.
     


    BooWare games are all about story. Without the conversations, they wouldn't be able to tell the story they wanted to tell. Personally, I sometimes think the conversations are the best parts of the game. And they help you empathize with/appreciate the characters as more than just armour and stats.
    As far as multiplayer, I'm personally glad there isn't any. The gaming industry as a whole is sort of forcefeeding us multiplayer games and sometimes I just want to play a game and not have to deal with other people. Borderlands did solo/multi play the best way possible, and if other games followed that model, multiplayer may not suck so bad, but there were so many times on multiplayer games that I wanted to reach through my headset and strangle people because I couldn't abide their immaturity or impatience. Borderlands, all you have to do is exit to the lobby and continue on your own.

    I love story in my RPGs. I just like to interact with it more or am at least given some nice visuals DURING the conversation scenes. Dragon Age does not give me this, it makes me stare at a blood covered character for 10 minutes at a time in very limited viewpoints. I give you Final Fantasy as a better way of telling stories. That's what I look for when I think of story. Cutscenes that move the story along, and it is your ACTIONS that move the plot not choice 1-4 of different sentence types in a dialogue.

    I had this same issue with Metal Gear Solid 2 and on. Far too much sitting and staring at a talking head than actual playtime.

    Another great way to deliver story is to do it in tandem with gameplay. For example, Prince of Persia, the narrator speaking as I'm leaping across walls. Borderlands does this too as well as a few other games.

  • SnobSnob Member Posts: 37

    I have played through twice not because i love the game but just to see if i am right about it,i am.

     

    Over hyped

    Linear world

    Movie lacking that RPG feel

    Unoriginal story ripped right from the lord of the rings,blantant copy.

    I might as well be playing any other BioWare game..

     

    Nah, i am now enjoying Divinty 2 Ego Draconis,move over Dragon Age your way to linear and samy.

  • BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

    I have been afraid to give Dragon Age a try, because I may be one of the few people that were disapointed in Mass Effect. Mass Effect had a good story, but it just felt like I was playing through a movie more than anything else, and a lot of the world seemed a bit baren. The game also didn't take me very long to complete and give me the desire to play through it again.

    Not sure if it was the games fault or just my taste in RPGs. I loved Oblivion and played it for over 600 hours with three play throughs of the main story, and another that has done just about everything in it. I am also playing Fallout 3 now as I just got it for christmas, but I have not had as much time to really get into it. The Bethesda games just feel more real and alive to me than Mass Effect was.

    I am just very torn now that Mass Effect has a sequal, and I would like to see how the story goes, but not sure I want more disapointment. Maybe i'll feel better skipping it knowing that I would feel like I was missing out on the bonuses that they are adding to the game as game stop preorder extras.

  • xtoturnwithixtoturnwithi Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by Snob


    I have played through twice not because i love the game but just to see if i am right about it,i am.
     
    Over hyped
    Linear world
    Movie lacking that RPG feel
    Unoriginal story ripped right from the lord of the rings,blantant copy.
    I might as well be playing any other BioWare game..
     
    Nah, i am now enjoying Divinty 2 Ego Draconis,move over Dragon Age your way to linear and samy.

    Obvious troll is obvious.

    Most RPGs before the Elder Scrolls series had linear worlds.

    There are certain motifs which all fantasy sagas share, but it is far from a blatant copy. That statement is just ludicrous.

    Divinity 2 has left me far from impressed. Maybe it's better on PC?

  • slipfeedslipfeed Member CommonPosts: 87

    I named my dog "dog". :/

     

    It's near impossible to tell a compelling story in a non linear fashion.  Any author will tell you that one of the most important aspects of story telling is timing.  You have to drop them down to raise them up.  You have to set them up for the fall, and give them a reason to be moved by the big win.  To coax them into complacency for the backstab to be effective.

    Dragon age is a bioware game, and as such is more about the story and your involvment in that story than anything else. 

    Sanity is a delusion. The only truth is madness.

Sign In or Register to comment.