Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online Instancing

2»

Comments

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by comerb

I'm not arguing for or against it in Cryptics case.   I were merely commenting on my impression of the game.  I do think you're stretching very far if you actually believe it was a "smart move to use the CO engine to capture this".   It was merely a matter of nessecity.  Eve presents a much better system of allowing for instanced missions w/out compromising  a seamless world(not that it isn't instanced, but it does a damn good job of covering up that instancing).
    Fact is it was a limitation of the engine and the design concept. Instancing allows for fast and cheap development because you don't have to build and code seamless worlds and systems(and the resources necessary to run them). Instancing is always viewed with a sour taste in MMOs... and good developer will generally avoid it when possible.  Honestly, when was the last time you heard someone say "I hate how seemless this world is, I sure do wish there was more instancing in the game."... Never.  
    However, Cryptic is apparently on a very strict timetable per Atari... and heavy instancing was the only possible way to deliver a working product in such a short development cycle.   It's sad in its own way... personally if I was going to make an STO it would be a marriage of Eve, SWG, and DAoC; but I guess a Cryptic STO is better than nothing.  And since those are the two choices we were left with...

Simple one liner to counter your reasoning ....:

"Beam me up Scotty".

It's the ultimate transport in ST and the ultimate instance mechanism. So yeah, the cryptic engine is good to represent it.

ST the TV series was ALWAYS about filming SF with a (very) limited budget. For once I don't care about too much instances.

I won't accept it in most other games. But for ST the MMO,  it isn't even a disadvantage.

Um ok.  I thought the concept of an MMO was to bring a world to life?  Not to replicate the feel of a cheaply produced TV series. Sorry, but ultimately I'd rather have a singular Startrek universe to play around it.  Naturally instancing becomes important in the cases of starbases, planets, different solar systems, etc.. but if I'm on Risa... I want to be on Risa with everyone else in the game thats on Risa.  I don't want to be on Risa #52.  

Like I said in a previous post, loading times aren't really that big of a deal.  It's pretty much of a necessity in Space games because of the very nature of space, and the necessary transitions from space>planets>stations etc.  But the fracturing of the world, Cryptic style,  is definitely a negative thing.

MMO's obviously have different styles. You have tho old themepark vs sandbox argument. The sandbox is the bringing a world to life type such as UO, EVE, DF and MO. Most of the rest like EQ, EQII, WoW, WAR, AoC, LOTRO and so on are thempark. Some are seamless with instanced dungeons, but they are all themepark with the questing, dungeons, mob grind and just standing in line to wait for your turn with the quest mobs.

What you seem to be looking for is EVE with a Star Trek skin on top. The problem is that there will be missions. I don't think it will be fun to show up on Risa with 500 other star ships waiting in line to do the quest. This will be a themepark game with a fast pass (instancing). Not a themepark with lines(excluding PvP queue lines) or a sandbox where you have to make your own rides. It has a good chance to be a 'fun' game(relative to the individual). If you are looking for a sandbox, go play EVE. It is there for you to enjoy.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

You are wrong. The concept of MMO has changed. The idea is to make a fun game with a heavy MP component.

Correct. and this is why most MMO's these days are failing.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• hanshotfirsthanshotfirst Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by comerb 
    If you jump to Jita, you are in Jita.  There is no Jita#2,Jita#3, Jita#4.  The loading screens, while annoying, aren't the real killer of instancing.  The fracturing of the world is.
    CCP is willing to throw the money for technology, hardware, and coding that makes that possible.  They provide players with a singular world, and they don't compromise the integrity of that world for what would be cheaper, easier, or faster.  
    Imagine if they had taken the Cryptic route.  Eve wouldn't be nearly as successful as it is today.  Now like I said, I don't think Cryptic had much choice in the matter... but thats besides the point.
    *as a side note, I haven't  experienced problems in Jita for about 6 months... since the last overhaul they did on it.  And it requires massive fleets to start putting even a chink in Eve's  playability.  A testament to good programming and not being cheap with your hardware.

Having a Jita#2 ,Jita#3, Jita#4 would eliminate the congestion problems EVE Online *still* suffers to this day. CCP has not resolved the issue.

The game still noticably hangs in and around Jita (or *any* system with a sizable blob); modules won't respond, Stargates delay when/if you can jump, even chat can lag.

Imagine if they had taken the Cryptic route? You mean including ambulation at launch, instead of taking +6 years to put it in an X-box 360 console-exclusive game?

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by artemisentr4

STO would never work with the open sandbox style of EVE. They want to deliver this game as the TV series did. In missions for each captain solo or in small groups for PvE. That type of quest system would not work in an open world. Nor would it make any sence at all like EVE does for it's style.

The PvP side will be some limited open space, but mainly a bunch of battlegrounds. They are going for a different style of game. I am looking forword to playing just because it is different from what I normally play. To each his own, but many players will be playing just for the Star Trek IP. With one server only, they can do just fine with around 100k.

EVE is a great game for it's style. STO will not be going down that road and I am glad they won't.

Yes it would, the same way SWG was working before they butchered it. A Federation/Klingon/Romulan sandbox/hybrid could have been amazing...Instead of going big, like the IP  really deserved, they went small. Now that might not be a bad thing in and off itself, except they aren't even doing that particularly well.  It's a strictly themepark game, with low amounts of content, a poorly constructed world, a singular PvE faction, and some halfassed monster play thats reliant on a weak queue based BG system with no actual cause and effect mechanics(Imagine the Horde only being able to queue up for Alterac Valley, WSG, and Arithe Basin; and thats all they can do... say hello to Klingon gameplay)

SWtOR is going small, but look at the production value of that game(full voice acting, cinematics, multiple storylines, NPC friends with actual personality and relationship development, etc).  If your going to deliever a solo focused PvE themepark, then atleast commit to the concept and do it justice.  

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Imagine if they had taken the Cryptic route? You mean including ambulation at launch, instead of taking +6 years to put it in an X-box 360 console-exclusive game?

Incarna has nothing to do with Dust514.  They aren't even the same engine.  Might wanna actually do some research before you spout off at the mouth.   And if there are congestion problems in  that one system out of hundreds of systems, its minor at best.  Considering you've been spouting misinformation and using terminology  that reaks of about a year ago... you don't seem to know what you talking about.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by hanshotfirst

You mean including ambulation at launch, instead of taking +6 years to put it in an X-box 360 console-exclusive game?

Ambulation is NOT Dust 514... you need to do more Research before you troll.

And Ambulation Was never Ever in the Origanal goals. It only came about AFTER the game(And Company) grew and Evolved to a point where sutch a Idea was possible.

So yes Jita lags a little. Its still the only game that can puut 700 People Pluss in One zone and have it playable. Please fine me another. Ill wait.

And if your happy with the game beeing a solo playing experience then I really dont see why your here, Bothering to stick up for the game. Your side has clearly won.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Originally posted by hanshotfirst

You mean including ambulation at launch, instead of taking +6 years to put it in an X-box 360 console-exclusive game?

Ambulation is NOT Dust 514... you need to do more Research before you troll.

And Ambulation Was never Ever in the Origanal goals. It only came about AFTER the game(And Company) grew and Evolved to a point where sutch a Idea was possible.

So yes Jita lags a little. Its still the only game that can puut 700 People Pluss in One zone and have it playable. Please fine me another. Ill wait.

And if your happy with the game beeing a solo playing experience then I really dont see why your here, Bothering to stick up for the game. Your side has clearly won.

At 700 people it is NOT playable. Lag can be anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes for you to get a response from pushing a button. Jita starts lagging about 400 people and it progressively gets worse the more people that come in. Lets also note that CCP has dedicated at least 1 entire server cluster JUST for jita and it still has problems. 100vs100 battles are asked to notify ccp in advance and even then, there are many that lag out and thats only 200 people in an area. Heck, in the area I was doing missions, we averaged about 75 people there and if it went much beyond that, lag was horrible. Now, I haven't actually run a mission in a couple months but when I logged in earlier today, there was 145 people in the zone I was in and there is no way I would try to run a mission with that many in one sector. So while I like eve, It does not handle a lot of people in its zones very well either.