Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monitor Need to Set Max Resolution?

arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Hi all, just a noob question.

Isit necessary to set my monitor resolution to the max?

I mainly using the monitor for gaming and watching dvds.

Im using a 24inch and my graphic card is ati 4770. Is there any great difference if i set to max (1920, 1080) compare to right now 1920,960 and will it takes more power?

I'm afraid it'll toast my graphic card.

Thanks

RIP Orc Choppa

Comments

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    Originally posted by arctarus

Hi all, just a noob question.
    Isit necessary to set my monitor resolution to the max?
    I mainly using the monitor for gaming and watching dvds.
    Im using a 24inch and my graphic card is ati 4770. Is there any great difference if i set to max (1920, 1080) compare to right now 1920,960 and will it takes more power?
    I'm afraid it'll toast my graphic card.
    Thanks

I assume its an LCD montior..

The max resolution is your monitors "Native" resolution and will have the best image quality, anything lower and the monitor imploys some tricks to downscale the image which has the effect of lowing the quality (but its hardly noticable with todays LCD's).  Not going to go into it but old CRT screens did not have to worry about pixel size as it could scale them, LCD's have a fixed pixel size.

It wont fry your gfx card but ofc running at a higher resolution will make your gfx card work harder but it will only work as hard as its designed to work no matter the resolution.

In short your desktop resolution should be the max (natve) resolution, but in games lower the resolution to get a better frame rate but you might notice the image not as sharp as it would be running at the max resolution.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Hi Coffee, thanks.

Ive set it to the max resolution now, and now web sites becomes very weird.

The whole image use to occupy the whole screen, now its only at the center. Is this normal?

Ok, so far only WoW forums is normal...

Edit: Yes, its a LCD, Dell ST2410

RIP Orc Choppa

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Hi Coffee, thanks.
    Ive set it to the max resolution now, and now web sites becomes very weird.
    The whole image use to occupy the whole screen, now its only at the center. Is this normal?

Edit: Yes, its a LCD, Dell ST2410

Hum...Not sure both the gfx card and montior support 1920 x 1080.  Try a reboot if that fails then its probably the gfx card drivers doing somthing funky?

Or.... If the monitor has it, there might be a button they lets you change the aspect ratio, makes sure its 16:9 (widescreen).

I think my problem is changing from a 15inch to this 24. And its kinda like "open my eyes" as i can see more.

Take this home page for example. Last time i cant see that 2 anime character on the left and right, but now, wala! i can see both... 

RIP Orc Choppa

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Websites are usually at fixed resolutions, so when you are at max resolution it will shrink it and make it sharper.  However, it shouldn't be too big an issue.  Your monitors resolution is 20% larger then mine and the screen is 10% larger, so it should take relatively the same space as mine.  After a day you will get used to the size.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

I think my problem is changing from a 15inch to this 24. And its kinda like "open my eyes" as i can see more.
    Take this home page for example. Last time i cant see that 2 anime character on the left and right, but now, wala! i can see both... 

ya its normal.  some pages will be worse than others, depends on who did the page.  use ctrl+scroll wheel to adjust it if you want.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."

Thank you for the help guys! And what a nice tip, ctrl scroll wheel.

Nice...

RIP Orc Choppa

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Nice...

Or Ctrl +/- on the Number pad.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Originally posted by grunty

Nice...

Or Ctrl +/- on the Number pad.

Thank you. Gona get a hdmi cable now, hope its worth it, as my graphic card ( i know its sub par) comes with a dvi to hdmi adapter.

Hopefully EQ2 and WoW will look really different.... /finger cross...

RIP Orc Choppa

• HalpotHalpot Member CommonPosts: 204

Remember that HDMI only works if the last stage of the process supports it. 

Originally posted by Halpot

Erm... im a pc noob here, so dont mind me asking, you mean the game or the hardware?

Because for the game i see that there's setting for 1920 X 1080 option...

Or should i just get a dvi cable?

Thanks

RIP Orc Choppa

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Halpot

Erm... im a pc noob here, so dont mind me asking, you mean the game or the hardware?
    Because for the game i see that there's setting for 1920 X 1080 option...

Or should i just get a dvi cable?

Thanks

He really means HDCP not HDMI. HDCP is a digital copyright protection integrated into HDMI that stops you from copying movies in HD. Basically if you play a Blu-Ray movie on your PC, your Blu-Ray player, video card, and monitor all need to be HDCP compliant (most are) or the quality gets downgraded automatically by Windows. This ONLY happens in content with DRM on it.. Blu-Ray movies is basically the only thing.

Ok, now for DVI vs HDMI - DVI is electrically compatible with HDMI, meaning there's no difference in quality between DVI and HDMI, so use either cable, and there is no quality penalty in converting back and forth with adapters.

I see, thank you very much. I only have a normal dvd player on my pc, just thought it will boost the graphics of games if i use a hdmi cable instead of rgb...

RIP Orc Choppa

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

I see, thank you very much. I only have a normal dvd player on my pc, just thought it will boost the graphics of games if i use a hdmi cable instead of rgb...

oh, yea it's better to use DVI/HDMI over the analog cable but very difficult to tell the difference. Often just a slight different in color representation rather than an image quality difference.

Also you don't need a $50 Monster HDMI cable.. There's *some* argument to be made for expensive shielded cables when it's an analog signal but the digital signals are very resilient. The cheap $5 Rocketfish or generic ones work exactly the same since it's a digital signal. I use http://www.monoprice.com they have great prices.